Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Version Vs English Version
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
QUOTE(Nicoli Flamel @ Sep 29 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]452984[/snapback]
Also I must ask this. Has anyone ever listened to a show from america dubed in Japanese?
Yap, I have. XDD Those are kinda fun!! tongue.gif
Often the dubbed voices are completely different from the original voices. laugh.gif
000_neji
Japanese are better,if dubbed...or has a subtitle...
Untitled
Both are fine for me.. Just as long as the dubber's voice isn't annoying that is! laugh.gif
FMA4ever
QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 11 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]445286[/snapback]

Anime Otaku sleep.gif

I much prefer the Dub version over the japanese version because all the voices, to me, seem to mix and mingle, so if you aren't paying close attention it would get confusing as to who is saying what.

In the dub version I think the dialogue is better and the emotions felt by the characters is more pronounced than in the japanese version. All the voices in the english dub are great, and fit the characters very well.

Yup. Enough said.
I like the dub better.
VincentProxy
I prefer the dubbed, dunno why just do. Some of the explanations are a bit wierd, but thats only because they have to fit the words to the timing of the mouth, so they have to use wierd words at times lol.
His Name is Unknown
I prefer the dubbed version - all the main characters have very distinct and interesting voices, and aside from a few sub-par deliveries the acting is excellent.

One thing that does bother me about the dub however is some of the dialogue changes that affect meaning or understanding of the plot. For example:

[spoiler] When Scar confronts Kimbley in Lior, the mad bomber reveals his philosophy that all human beings are worthless/empty on the inside. He then transmutes Scar's arm into a time-bomb, but Scar destroys his own arm to stop the alchemic reaction. In the Japanese subs, he has an awesome speech telling Kimbley to look at his bleeding arm to see what a real human is made of. In the english, he has a cringe-worthy one-liner "See what kind of an impact I have on you!" Ugh. Totally alters the depth and meaning of what Scar is saying.

The other, more egregious alteration comes at the end of the series, after Dante has removed Gluttony's emotions for Lust to turn him into an eating machine. In the Japanese, Dante explains that Gluttony was created by her as a way to refine red water. This sentence is the only reference to Gluttony's origin and purpose and also helps to explain what happens to him in the movie. The english dub has none of this information! [/spoiler]

Ting
I liked the Jap version the most, because u can really feel the emotion of the voice actor in the series, I have also watched the Cantonese version of FMA, and I think it is better than the English one (the dialogues are more appropriate). But the english dubb is one of the best of English dubbed version of anime.

I don't know if it was only me, but I think some parts of the English dubb are wonky laugh.gif (maybe of lip sync)
Hugh the Hit Man
I think that it really does depend on the anime. Also, if I see it with subs first I'm more apt to only like it with subs. Dunno, guess it just depends
Le Monkey
QUOTE(His Name is Unknown @ Oct 7 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]456344[/snapback]

I prefer the dubbed version - all the main characters have very distinct and interesting voices, and aside from a few sub-par deliveries the acting is excellent.

One thing that does bother me about the dub however is some of the dialogue changes that affect meaning or understanding of the plot. For example:

[spoiler] When Scar confronts Kimbley in Lior, the mad bomber reveals his philosophy that all human beings are worthless/empty on the inside. He then transmutes Scar's arm into a time-bomb, but Scar destroys his own arm to stop the alchemic reaction. In the Japanese subs, he has an awesome speech telling Kimbley to look at his bleeding arm to see what a real human is made of. In the english, he has a cringe-worthy one-liner "See what kind of an impact I have on you!" Ugh. Totally alters the depth and meaning of what Scar is saying.

The other, more egregious alteration comes at the end of the series, after Dante has removed Gluttony's emotions for Lust to turn him into an eating machine. In the Japanese, Dante explains that Gluttony was created by her as a way to refine red water. This sentence is the only reference to Gluttony's origin and purpose and also helps to explain what happens to him in the movie. The english dub has none of this information! [/spoiler]

That is exactly the reason I prefer the Sub over the Dub.
And the fact I really dont like Edo or Aru's voices *Hides from now enraged fangirls*

QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Oct 11 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]458358[/snapback]

I think that it really does depend on the anime. Also, if I see it with subs first I'm more apt to only like it with subs. Dunno, guess it just depends

I think this thread being in the FMA section, its ment About fma, Although I could be under the mis-interperation that a section header tells you what the section is about. Where-as it is just a random set of words then eh?
My My, I do get bitchy some times, tongue.gif
Razzy
I like the English voices better because with the Japanese subtitles, I'm confused a bit.... I can read and listen and watch at the same time, but for some reason, when I listen to the Japanese voices, I can't really absorb what's going on in the show because I'm reading what they're saying while they're saying it, and it leaves me a bit confused and I just can't understand the point of the episode for some weird reason.... if I'm confusing you, I apologize biggrin.gif

I like Ed's voice equally in both the English and Japanese, though smile.gif
Chiyo
I heard Winry's voice in English and knew why she's hated by some people. The Japanese version gives her a cute voice, the American one she sounds irritating and idiotic. Sorry to those who like it.

And I said it elsewhere, I got so used to Paku doing Ed...his American voice sounds far too strange to me. Goes from sounding like a young man to an adult trying to be a young man. And Als 'tinnny' sounds is just bleh.

I haven't heard anyone else, but frankly, I don't want to.
HagaRen016
QUOTE(Kukuru @ Jan 30 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]345076[/snapback]

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted this topic has been posted before, let me know where and then we can discontinuing using this thread.

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all tongue.gif

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.

Yeah, they did cut out that part, but it's in the DVD. ^^ And yeah, I DID see Izumi! (There's also a girl in modern clothes and a cat backpack right before going to that!! In crowds and fast moving camera things, there's A LOT of extra stuff.)

I don't know why everyone here hates the Dub so much- Frankly, I prefer it to the Japanese version. . . Maybe it's because I just think that because it's in a European-based world, it just sounds better. . . . Also, I find that the sub just isn't that. . . I dunno`. . . It just seems that The VAs for the dub are just better at portraying emotion. . . *Sigh* Oh, well, that's just MY opinion. . . . Please don't kill me. *Hides from sub addicts*
Amaya Hawkeye
<Merged the thread " Fansubs Changed?" with the following two posts here. 02/03/07 ~Tombow>

The first time I saw a fansub of episode one when Ed is chasing Al in the desert it goes:
Ed: "Stop!"
Al: "I wont stop!"
Ed: "Slow down!"
Al: "I wont slow down!"
Ed: "Pick one!"
Al: "I cant decide!!!!"

Later, I re-downloaded that episode and instead of "pick one" "I cant decide" Ed says something like "straighten up" and I forget what Al says but he doesnt say "I cant decide" obviously. Anyone know the reason for the change? It happened in many fansubs, so its not just one translator's translation
Tombow
@Amaya Hawkeye - I'm merging this to "Japanese Vs English?" thread.

ETA: Thread merged, and the thread author notified of the merge. smile.gif
Alchemical
The dialog has to change a little bit to match the lip movements. And even if they did cut out scenes from the English version on TV, they're all there on the DVDs.

Though, some of the voices of the English version irk me too much. Especially Winry's. But most of them I love, especially Ed, Al and Roy's. smile.gif
Amalthea
Winry's English voice is god awful. So high pitched and whiny. She sounds like she is voiced from any girl they picked off the street.

Sorry if that sounds cynical, I just don't find the majority of the English voices to be so bad. Yet when I heard Winry's, one of my favorite characters, I was dissapointed.
TheRainbowConnection
I personally prefer the Japanese voices a bit more just because they seem to accentuate the defining traits of some characters. Paku's Ed seems a bit more impatient, irritated, and crass than Vic's Ed, and I think that irritation that is part of Ed's character should also be expressed in his voice. I also think that Ed's Japanese voice has a certain graininess that fits him so much better than Vic's smooth-talking, and sometimes over-exaggerated, deliveries.

Also, I hate Al's English voice. Japanese Ed sounds calm and compassionate, while I tend to think that Al's English voice sounds so young that it's almost babyish. Personally, I find that the (vocal) apposition of Ed's irritation vs. Al's calmness (Japanese) makes a better foil than Ed's adult-like voice vs. Al's super-young voice (English). Also, I think they overdid the tinniness a bit on the English.

Can't say much about the others. I do prefer the Japanese Mustang a bit over the English one because it seems that the Japanese voice actor can really lay on the cynical voice that Mustang often employs.

However, I must give a bit of a disclaimer. I don't claim to know any measure of Japanese, but I do consider myself rather proficient in English. Therefore, I'd be far more likely to catch inappropriate or overwrought expressions in English than in Japanese, leading to my increased criticism of the English dub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.