Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Version Vs English Version
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Pages: 1, 2
Kukuru
Hello all, sorry if this has been posted this topic has been posted before, let me know where and then we can discontinuing using this thread.

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all tongue.gif

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(Kukuru @ Jan 30 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]345076[/snapback]

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted this topic has been posted before, let me know where and then we can discontinuing using this thread.

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all tongue.gif

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.

i know i was really disapointed that they cut out a lot of things out epi 25 =_= and a lot of the diolouge is different... and yeah i noticed Izumi-sensei! that was funny laugh.gif
Full Metal Elf
Yea...I noticed that too!..I watched it on the DVD and was like WTF!?..When I saw that scene!...It was funny though!...happy.gif
varanus
hmm i noticed it once it was random
kenderoth
i noticed it too it was kinda funny of difrence in dialog.
Electrastar
I don't think the english version is all that bad. I sometimes try my hand at checking what my favorite japanese lines sound like in english thanks to the wonderful world of dvd, but I have to admit, some adaptations were made in the translation...and I don't really understand it....It's not like the original japanese text has japanese references or anything, so why take the time to change some information in the dialogue is beyond me.
Winkle
They have to tweak the dialogue usually so that the english dialogue can match the japanese-lip-synch without being too off. They try to get the same meaning across by saying it differently but then sometimes it gets interpreted differently too.

It happens. For the most part the english dialogue is fine. I got no problems with it but I still feel the Japanese voices are more natural.
Jedi28
Are you talking about the English television version? The DVD version has all that stuff from 25 and so forth. It's not the fault of the people doing the dubbing, it's the station that's showing it. I think Anime episodes in Japan usually run around 24 minutes with the extra six minutes devoted to commercials. In America half-hour cartoons are shorter and have more time devoted to commericals. They have to cut part of the episode to add in the commericals. I've also heard that the end credits are really cut down on all the episodes for the same reason. You'll also notice that nearly all blood has been erased, violence has been cut down and usually profanity and nudity (if there was any) is gone. FullMetal Alchemist has little of any of that (even the violence if you compare it to other animes) so there probabaly wasn't a lot to cut out. Anyway, none of that has anything to do with the people who dubbed it. They came up with scripts to get the same meaning across as the Japanese (and did an excellent job of it with FullMetal Alchemist when you compare it to other Animes where the dub and what they actually said are radically different). If you get the DVD, then it's all back where it should be. I refuse to watch Anime on American television for that very reason. I prefer the English dub on the DVD release because Ed is funnier and becuase it's the best English dub I've ever heard for an Anime. Not like Inuyasha where I can't stop laughing every time I hear the English voices. smile.gif
MasterKris
From what I watched, I think the English version is funnier, but the Japanese version has a better voice acting. You need to watch both of the versions often to judge them. The more you watch a version, the more you think that version is better. I'm stil disappointed about the dub (judging from what my expression looks like everytime I hear it) and some of the voice acting has NO emotion to it. And I think the dub version has a disadvantage due to the length of the speeches from the Japanese version and the mouth shape. From what I am saying, the two versions are both good and great. It just depends on what you perfer to hear. The funny dialogue of the dub or the excellent VActing of the Japnese version.
r315razor
They did an excellent Job with the english voice acting.

Personaly i think that the English Ed was better then the Japanese one. He just sounds like he looks more...

But i really don't think it matters whats better! As far as i know, if the enlish version can get the main point of the story accross, without cutting and spliceing and looping parts together, and still get such emotional feelings from the show, then you know THIS is a show worth watching!!! biggrin.gif
Wilki
I personally think it depends on the person watching the version. For example some Americans may enjoy the Japanese verison because they feel it's different, and a new change they're more then willing to accept. Or they may prefer the American version as they can understand it better. And visa versa. As to me the art really doesn't change, expect the animations are slightly altered to get the English speech in. Still maybe this may be a bigger deal to others, but honestly I can't see why. Sure the voice actors are very much different, but they work well for whichever version they're for. -shrug- Tell me if I've made a mistake, or something...
Jedi28
For me it depends on the Anime. Some, like FMA, have fantastic English voice dubs. Others like Inuyasha just aren't the same if they're not with the original Japanese voice actors. I won't however watch the episodes in either format on American television becuase they shave it down to much to fit in the time slot.
r315razor
ya, and the show ghost in the shell, OMG the animation for that makes everyone have super runon sentences... its hard to follow that every 1 is saying! lol
kiori
I agree with Jedi. FMA is definately one of the best dubs out there (closely followed by Cowboy Bebop) and Inuyasha is one of the worst. I like Al's japanese vioce better and Ed's english voice better, but I still think both do a good job in both languages.
Popogeejo
For the most I prefer the English.It's some of the changes I don't get.
Example:When Roy is talking about Psiren to Ed
Japnese:I hear she's a real Beaut.
English:I hear she's a real ten.

I assume it's for dubbing reasons but it fel like they're trying to Americanize it to much.IMO.
Ed-Elric
i say english i hate all the reading and in english they tend to explane things better
Jedi28
Subtitles do tend to distract, you miss the action on the screen because you're trying to read them. I don't know though, I think it has to be decided on a case by case basis. Some Anime, I like dubbed and some I like in Japanese with subtitles.
The Great Asparagus
i've never really watched the anime in english except for a few episodes, but i like ed's, al's, mustang's, and hawkeye's voices better in japanese than english. they just seem more fitting.
DJ_Zephyr
I've never seen the Japanese versions, myself. But I can't stand having to read subtitles, since it does distract from the action as mentioned above. And FMA seems to have been dubbed pretty good.
SneakyPanda
im glad i dont watch the adult swim one. ive seen it in japanese only, with what i belive are accurate subtitles. i havnt missed a thing, and by now i wouldnt be able to watch it in english because im just to used to the characters in japanese. yes, the voice that portrays the character is important to me.
Galorfilinde
I only want to see the Japanese version. That's how it was made, and I don't think the subtitles are distracting you from the action on screen at all. I once saw a clip on the internet which was in English and it just didn't sound right to me. Ed's voice didn't fit him. and I also like the little things in Japanese, like, Ed saying 'd***it' and Alphonse saying 'brother' (I can't write it down in Japanese XD). Did you actually know that the Japanese voices of Ed and Al are women's voices? I think that's kinda cool ^.^
FullmetalMagician
QUOTE(The Great Asparagus @ Feb 21 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]352593[/snapback]

i've never really watched the anime in english except for a few episodes, but i like ed's, al's, mustang's, and hawkeye's voices better in japanese than english. they just seem more fitting.

Agree
Full_Metal_Fury
personally, i think the voice of al is MUCH better on the dubs and on the american version...he sounds a lil to feminine on the jap episodes. I like the english ones better allthoghter
ROY'S FRIEND
i have noticed that some things we're different in the english version like some parts of some episodes were cut off, or the dialogue was different. but i say the english version and Japenese version are both great! and YES i adore the voices of the english version, i agree with the person above, they do seem more fitting. and their voices are HOT! laugh.gif hawkeye's voice is awesome too! ( sorry im off topic a bit)
la-alkimista
biggrin.gif laugh.gif spanish!!!

IPB Image
Miriamele
QUOTE(kiori @ Feb 18 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]351750[/snapback]

I agree with Jedi. FMA is definately one of the best dubs out there (closely followed by Cowboy Bebop) and Inuyasha is one of the worst. I like Al's japanese vioce better and Ed's english voice better, but I still think both do a good job in both languages.

I agree 100% with Kiori! FMA and Cowboy Bebop are the only animes I can stand to watch in English, and Inuyasha in English makes me wanna barf, Inu's English voice is just TERRIBLE. (And they call Miroku, MiROku...ugh.)

But even though I don't mind FMA in English, I still prefer Japanese. Not only because the voice acting is excellent (especially the person who does Ed), and I just like the sound of the voices better (especially Mustang)...but I believe that Japanese is a more expressive language than English. So it will always sound better to me. smile.gif

Hagane_no_Renkinjutsushi457
The english dubb is pretty good but im all for Japanese.
Bader
I chose Dub because I think the voices match the mouth movements a little better, which is odd for a dubbed anime, and the character voices fit the characters so much better. This might just be because it is hards for me to tell emotion in the japanese voices, but i think the american actors were able to nail the emotional parts of the anime very well. Maes Hughes, Roy Mustang... hell every character had the perfect voice. And also I like being able to actually understand what is being said. Thats a big plus.
Matt Perry
Hah, this is a touchy subject for me because I watched the first 25 episodes dubbed over on Adult swim, then got the rest subtitled.

Making the switch from english to japanese was a rough one to get over, and had to relearn all the voices but I like the subbed version more.
Migchao
Subs!

The English voices...ew. Envy's voice is better subbed.
Nepharski
Dubbed voices, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to be said for the vernacular. It just depends, as some scenes require different things that VAs on both sides may or may not have.

Per example:
[spoiler]Ed Baylock (Bradley) does such a good job of making Bradley so intimidating and evil. The way he delivers his lines is spot-on, whether it's crazy King Bradley, or cruel King Bradley. However, there's something he misses that the Japanese VA did right; in the last episode, when Bradley chokes Salim, the Japanese VA did Bradley's voice in such a way that he was vindictive, yet regretful of his actions, and that's something I just think Baylock missed, no offense to him[/spoiler]
Surge
Sub...

The english voices are just...eurgh
000_neji
I more like the dubbed version.
Lysander
Dub version for me.
The Arachnid Alchemist
I prefer the original voices and never watch dubbed anime if I can find a subtitled version.
Bader
Anime Otaku sleep.gif

I much prefer the Dub version over the japanese version because all the voices, to me, seem to mix and mingle, so if you aren't paying close attention it would get confusing as to who is saying what.

In the dub version I think the dialogue is better and the emotions felt by the characters is more pronounced than in the japanese version. All the voices in the english dub are great, and fit the characters very well.
honounoraion
Hmm..IMO, I must say that I definitely prefer the original version done by the japanese seiyuus..Seems more authnthic to me..maybe..it's because I watch the japanese one first and then only watched the dubbed version..but..ultimately..I think the japanese version is better.
Bader
I guess that's the main difference between hardcore anime watchers and the more casual anime watchers. The hardcore (otaku) seem to really enjoy all anime in japanese, and think the english language dubs are the devil. People who casually watch anime don't appreciate the foreign language version and much rather prefer it in good old fashioned English.
DantElric
QUOTE(kittygirl @ Sep 8 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]443653[/snapback]

Subs!

The English voices...ew. Envy's voice is better subbed.

I couldn't agree more. dry.gif
Especially that part where he and Ed meet at the 5th lab. the words were totally different. I enjoyed the subs better.
InsaneFangirl
Both are fine with me. I used to be really against the dub, but that changed.

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is when they change the message the creaters were trying to give. For example, when Alphonse was doubting his excistance, he sounded sad, and scared. Unsure.

In the dub, he's childish and angry. "Drink the dumb milk.", "Shut up." That sort of thing.
Amethyst Sunset
I was only able to watch snippets of Japanese FMA on Youtube. I watched the anime in English, and in my opinion, I think the actors and actresses did a very good job with the voices (especially on Ed, Roy and Maes), and yes, it really depends on who's watching the anime. I've met people who hate the English actors to bits, and I've met people who absolutely adore them - like me. The Japanese and English voice actors both have their own strong and weak points; I for one cannot say that one group is better than the other. I think they're just equal and we all have our own reasons for preferring either or the other.

I can't really say if I like Japanese or English more, because I'll just sound ultimately biased to English because I finished the dubbed series. I'm not much of a hardcore anime fan myself - just a hardcore FMA fan. XD So I don't really care if it's sub or dub, as long as it's pure FMA.

Side note: But because I finished the series in English, I feel more compelled to watch the movie in English as well for uniformity.

honounoraion
I dont hate the english voice actors..maybe..my ears seem a bit foreign cause I am to used to listening in japanese.But.just running out of topic a wee bit..I did like the Rurouni Kenshin dubbed.Back to FMA...maybe some meanings did deviate from the original..but thats an interpretation....we watch japanese FMA with subs....and sometimes donw by diferent groups..Different people have different way of expressing a sentece.If you want the real original meaning..you must listen to the japanese conversation not by reading the subs.That is what I am trying to achieve now.smile.gif
DantElric
QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Sep 11 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]445518[/snapback]

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is when they change the message the creaters were trying to give. For example, when Alphonse was doubting his excistance, he sounded sad, and scared. Unsure.

In the dub, he's childish and angry. "Drink the dumb milk.", "Shut up." That sort of thing.

Ooh totally. When I heard Al in that episode, I literally went scrambling for my brother's CDs to check if that's what Al really said. dry.gif Seriously, Al seems more... harsh (harsher?) in the dubbed version.
Bader
QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 12 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]445884[/snapback]

Ooh totally. When I heard Al in that episode, I literally went scrambling for my brother's CDs to check if that's what Al really said. dry.gif Seriously, Al seems more... harsh (harsher?) in the dubbed version.

If I had just found out that everyone was lying to me and that my whole idea of self was artificial, I'd be a bit pissed off myself.
DantElric
QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 13 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]445949[/snapback]

If I had just found out that everyone was lying to me and that my whole idea of self was artificial, I'd be a bit pissed off myself.

Yeah, and he was, but harsh words are really not Al's style, if you know what I mean.
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 14 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]446153[/snapback]

QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 13 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]445949[/snapback]

Yeah, and he was, but harsh words are really not Al's style, if you know what I mean.

I think they (the people behind the dub) meant Al to be harsher, probably because...well, it would really become a serious and dramatic episode if Al suddenly became angsty, and it adds a new dimension to his character.
air_alchemist_of_doom
i would have to say the english sounds better for most voices, the homoculi voice are horrible in english. the rest is better in english.

e.g. Ed voice is by far better in english ( except that his voice is a tad to deep when he's 11 lolz). reason: mainly he sounds alot calmer in the english.
TheSnig
yeah, i think that the japanese voices are better... i know the english ones have to match the mouth movement and stuff, but the english dont sound like theyre actually talking (although some of them are better than others; Al's english voice is pretty decent)

QUOTE(air_alchemist_of_doom @ Sep 29 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]452970[/snapback]

i would have to say the english sounds better for most voices, the homoculi voice are horrible in english. the rest is better in english.

e.g. Ed voice is by far better in english ( except that his voice is a tad to deep when he's 11 lolz). reason: mainly he sounds alot calmer in the english.

Ed's voice isnt supposed be calm though
air_alchemist_of_doom
QUOTE(TheSnig @ Sep 29 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]452977[/snapback]

Ed's voice isnt supposed be calm though

true but i myself like it a little more than the japanise version for that very reason and i'm sure there are others that think the same
Nicoli Flamel
Japnese:I hear she's a real Beaut.
English:I hear she's a real ten.

The reason for this is the slang. American slang is very different then japanese slag. I also think they(the Japanese VA director) wanted to give a feel of the 1900s. A beaut was slang in America and other countries for beauty. How many people seriously now would know what a beaut really is. Saying she's a ten is a way of convaying this.

As for me I watch English with Subs on to see what was really said. The thing that gets to me is all the dub bashing. It's a lot of work to get the series translanted, and while I think Romi Paku (sp?) who provides Ed, is an excellent actress. She sounds to High to be a 15 year old guy. I actually like Envy's voice in the dub, becuase it sounds a bit more masculine.

Also I must ask this. Has anyone ever listened to a show from america dubed in Japanese?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.