Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manga Scar: More Evil Or Good?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Charlemagne19
Comparing the manga and anime scar, which is nicer I guess is the question.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i've only read up to vol.4 of the manga so i'm not entirely sure but it seems to me he was more ruthless in the manga so I'll have to say Anime Scar, smile.gif
Alchemic Boom
I haven't read all the manga yet but I believe Anime Scar is the nicer one of the two versions...
LordPerseus
The anime Scar is just a bit nicer than the one in the Manga IMO.
Full Metal Elf
Yes..anime Scar is a LOT nicer than Manga!Scar...but..

[spoiler]but in the last chapter...he actually talked to Al..about sort of a good thing..heheh...[/spoiler]
Emi-chan
anime scar is nicer
The Great Asparagus
yeah, i agree with anime. although at first he was being a barnacle, he actually went way out of his way to help ed and al, and in the manga, he's just like, ROAR! happy.gif i'm actually pretty fond of scar from the anime ;_;
Full Metal Elf
Yea...I really do like Anime!Scar.....and Manga!Scar...they both rock!!

I like seeing the action continue forever with Manga!Scar...because after him, Ed and Al actually talk and such..they don't fight each other anymore...T_T....not that the fights are good for Al and Ed..but...they're fun!...hehehe

But I like the emotion of Anime!Scar we get....especially in episode 42.....it was sad...
tiggerfactory
Well, I always though Scar as a nice guy.
And it depends of what u consider 'evil' XD
In the Manga he is definetely scarier. But no evil X3

In anime and manga he shows a lot of compassion to kids at least hauhauha XD
Popogeejo
Manga Scar is becmoing nicer.He's taken in Mei Cheng and seems to not hate Al or Ed anymore.
I think he might die soon though.

Anime Scar has been nicer so far though.
Summerlover01
blink.gif *Looks at Full Metal Elfs avatar* i like your avatar! laugh.gif Anyways after watching all of the anime and reading alll of the manga thats out right now I'd definetly have to say anime scar is nicer.
Sin Of Envy
I agree, anime Scar was a lot nicer...
MonsterEnvy
I think that manga scar is a much more developed and morally complex character than anime scar. He's not really good or bad, but he seems to be turning more good, at least currently- i.e, he's become less driven by revenge, and more by what's right. Anime scar (and all the anime characters, in my point of view) were 'used' as a means to an end, whereas manga characters are always complex, morally ambiguous people who really think about what they're doing.

This topic should be in chatacter discussion, no? If some passing mod would deign to move it...

The title should also be changed to reflect what the thread is actually about.
Nil-chan
hmmm, i think that he's more good in the manga especially, now. Especially since he sort of adopted Mei-chan...
Colette
Anime Scar is a little nicer, but manga Scar is getting there. Too bad he killed Winry's parents. T_T

However, I do like Manga Scar more <3 Gotta love him. He likes kitties, pandas, more or less adopted Mei Chan, and Yoki is pretty much is slave, which REALLY made me happy. I never liked Yoki xD

MonsterEnvy, I'd really hate to see this moved. Many people in Character Discussion have never read the manga, and thus, less intelligent posts and/or biased posts would appear.
Nil-chan
^^ i agree. It's depressing how many people don't know the manga.
Automne
QUOTE(Summoner Colette Posted Today @ 11:18 AM)
MonsterEnvy, I'd really hate to see this moved. Many people in Character Discussion have never read the manga, and thus, less intelligent posts and/or biased posts would appear.

...And what would the people who haven't read the manga do in this thread if it was moved to the Character Discussion...?

Anyway, back on topic, Yes, anime Scar is nicer than manga Scar, at least for the moment, since it looks like the manga one is leaning toward the "good" side. I pretty much dislike manga Scar (but I dislike plenty of manga characters so...), he's just..."flat" to me and nothing that he did or said until now made me like him in the least. However, I don't really understand MonsterEnvy's post about anime Scar being "used" to an end...If you mean that he has been used and killed for the end of the series, then let me tell you it'll certainly be the same for manga Scar (being "used" for the end of the manga, maybe not killed), if not, Arakawa should have make him die already. And manga Scar and anime Scar were pretty much the same at the beginning. The fact that anime Scar changed faster than manga Scar doesn't make him less "developped" or "complex", IMO...

Toby-Chan
I personally prefer Anime Scar. I don't see any less complexity in his anime adaptation; on the contrary, I see more there. He's a lot more vulnerable, and well thought through. Manga Scar, somewhat like manga Tucker, don't really give a thorough enough picture of their motivations to do what is considered 'evil'. Like manga-Scar's murder of Winry's parents; he simply said he felt justified because it was an amestrian who first pulled the trigger to start the war. I don't buy that mentality. Manga Scar has a more limited and flat mentality, even if he has opened to Mei somewhat. I liked the way he was more open and shaped himself in the anime from other experiences; like bonding with Alphonse, or seeing Liore.

Gonna get flamed. <.<
Colette
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Apr 15 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]381212[/snapback]

QUOTE(Summoner Colette Posted Today @ 11:18 AM)

...And what would the people who haven't read the manga do in this thread if it was moved to the Character Discussion...?

Most would just post "anime Scar, of course!" with no reasoning at all and no knowlege about manga Scar. As to how terrible it is, it isn't terrible at all. I would just rather hear intelligent posts than ignorant ones.
Popogeejo
Like manga-Scar's murder of Winry's parents; he simply said he felt justified because it was an amestrian who first pulled the trigger to start the war. I don't buy that mentality.

People hate all Nazis just because some went to far.Scar see's his murder of Winrys Parents as justified because their people brought death to Scar's.
In the Manga we don't see any insite to him because he is so solitary.We only get other characters ideas of based on their experiences of him.I think we're gonna find out why he is how he is.

Manga Scar does seem to be alot Nicer.He has a conection to Mei because he see his plight in her.He didn't need to help find Xiao Mei but he did any way.

Anime Scar was more Tragic.He was manipulated by the homunculi once they found out about him.Plus his death was prety Drawn out and nasty.
Several hunks of lead,minus two arms and he still manged to complete his mission.(Although he caused more death than his manga counter part)
MonsterEnvy
My meaning in that anime scar was 'used to an end' is more that he was a character that was found to be necessary for the completion of the series. He was a tool. I never was really able to connect with Scar as a person and not as plot device. In the manga, even though Scar isn't as developed yet, I really get the feeling that he's a person with his own feelings and ideas and motives, and not someone who just wants to kill people and then has a change of heart. He's a gray character, no?

Then, we have that manga Scar killing Winry's parents... I get the feeling that there's a lor more there than that they're 'just Amestrians.' I think, though, part of it is that most characters in the manga are more individuals and not used, so much, so it makes the rest feel more individual. The manga in general always feels like it's just happening, where the anime is forced into plot twists that don't come naturally by making characters like Scar change their personalities somewhat.

well, that's my opinion at least. I've always been a hardcore manga fan, i didn't know that anime existed until I'd already been following the manga for six months.
Nil-chan
My meaning in that anime scar was 'used to an end' is more that he was a character that was found to be necessary for the completion of the series. He was a tool. I never was really able to connect with Scar as a person and not as plot device. In the manga, even though Scar isn't as developed yet, I really get the feeling that he's a person with his own feelings and ideas and motives, and not someone who just wants to kill people and then has a change of heart. He's a gray character, no?

I agree completely. Although I liked Scar in the anime, you don't get much out of him. He's just kind of there, a tool, like you said. It's a lot harder to realte to him. In the manga, they give you more to go on and more to look foreward to. It's nice because you get the feeling he's important as a character, not an item necesary for completion.
Automne
Well, it's kind of normal that those who think the manga is way better than the anime will prefer the manga characters and vice versa.
Nil-chan
well, forgive me for stating the obvious, but its not necesarily true. I like some characters better in the anime than in the manga, like Hughes, since it think we get a wide view there, but i still like the manga more.
Automne
...Absolutly incredible...
MonsterEnvy
Yes, I agree. I think that Hughes' death was a lot sadder in the anime, as with a few other things. Scar, though, was definitely better in the manga.
Colette
Hughes's death was more tragic in the anime, for sure. So was Nina's. But [spoiler] Thinking that Ross was dead shocked and saddened me the most[/spoiler] which they did not have in the anime.

On and off topic note, MonsterEnvy, did you know that your avatar is originally animated? I'll put up the animated version just in case you want to use that one.
MonsterEnvy
Oh, thanks for letting me know! I think I'll use the one I have because that one's a bit busy...
I agree about Ross. The storyline in the manga is better, overall.
Automne
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy Posted Yesterday @ 08:50 PM)
The storyline in the manga is better, overall.

I don't agree at all but that's all I'm gonna say.

This all manga VS anime is utterly stupid, since the two, at a point, are different, and not really comparable. And I heard some were gonna argue why the manga is better than the anime and vice versa? Geez, useless and a waste of time, IMO. This is all about personal tastes.

Anyway, I put my two cents. Go back on topic if you wish, plz.
Nil-chan
Well, um, when to things are different, they are, in essence, comparable. You compare to two things that are different to find the basic similarities and differences... so that statement really made no sense.

Anyways, back on topic, i agree about the Ross thing. I was really pissed off, and then depressed, and then happy when i found out what really happened. Just the fact that the manga is longer and more involved makes it better than the anime, and yeah, like MonsterEnvy said, the stroyline is also much better. (well i guess that's not really the original topic, but thats what we were talking about. oh well.)
Automne
Well, um, when to things are different, they are, in essence, comparable. You compare to two things that are different to find the basic similarities and differences... so that statement really made no sense.

That's not what I meant. What I meant is 'not comparable' in a way to say 'this is better than that', etc. The manga and anime take a different path at a moment, and therefore, the universe changes, the events are different, and the characters are also different. If you don't like it, that's your opinion and yours alone, that's all. So don't go around generalizing your opinion, not everyone thinks the storyline is better and not everyone thinks the characters are better than in the anime.
Nil-chan
Well, im sorry i missinterpretted your statement. I'm not trying to force my opinions on anyone, im saying what i thnk, why i think it, and whats relevvant to the conversation. Im allowed to state my opion, and when i do, i try to make sure it is relevant to the conversation. Once again i apologize for misinterpreting your statement. To each his/her own.
N. Havoc J.
I have to say that I like manga Scar better. Anime Scar may be nice (which I don't really care about) but he only has one facial expression. Even manga Scar who is completely vicious shows more emotion then anime Scar. Who can forget the face he made when he saw that panda or the look of pure wtf he had when Armstrong took off his shirt during his speech on Destruction and Creation.
Mad_Bomber
Manga Scar. He isn't a tool of the homonculi, but their number one headache.

Plus, in the manga he doesn't do a 180 in his opinions about alchemy; he hates alchemy, and has some pretty damn good reasons to hate alchemy.

He'd NEVER try and make the philosopher's stone in the manga; heck, that seemed forced in the anime too.

Plus I don't get all this 'nice' talk anyway. I wouldn't call Scar 'nice' or 'evil'. In his mind, the Ishbalan war continues, and he's targeting their number one weapons, the State Alchemists. Notice how he says he hates ALL alchemists, but he only goes after the ones with the shiny silver watches? He's attacking only legitimate military targets, most of whom are guilty of war crimes anyway. As oppossed to anime Scar, who didn't hesitate to take people hostage, something manga Scar has yet to do.

And the manga looks like we'll get an actual background on Scar, which also earns brownie points.

Does he seem a little more monstrous because he's the one who murdered Winry's parents? Yes, but let's see the actual circumstances before we go on to say that he's just an Armestian-hating machine.
Colette
QUOTE(N. Havoc J. @ Apr 22 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]384759[/snapback]

I have to say that I like manga Scar better. Anime Scar may be nice (which I don't really care about) but he only has one facial expression. Even manga Scar who is completely vicious shows more emotion then anime Scar. Who can forget the face he made when he saw that panda or the look of pure wtf he had when Armstrong took off his shirt during his speech on Destruction and Creation.

Don't forget the pure "wtf" look when Mei Chan started beating on the military.

Mad_Bomber, good points.
#1_alchemist
I personnaly prefer the manga storyplot mainly because its longer and is more interesting. Or maybe im just sad that the anime is over... huh.gif And i also think Scar from the anime is nicer and shows more feelings than in the manga cuz in the manga he always goes crazy when he sees Ed.
imaginaesto
I do believe Scar is "nice" in the anime. But, in the manga he is becoming nicer but it's only because his rage has lessen. The only reason that has happen is because he now knows some "thruths" he didn't before. I believe he will be of aid in the end for the Elric Brothers. Heck, he did go berserk with AL when they meant the homoculi "father" chapter.

I do prefer the manga, just because it's what the creator intended and hence it's more complex.
(Altough, sometimes I do prefer the anime over the manga, it all depends. It's the same with everyone else i'm sure)
Alchemical
Well, I'm not a fan of Scar at all. And I think he's horrible in both the anime and the manga. But I think he's the worst in the manga. He just seems to be willing to kill more, and anyone that gets in his way is as good as dead really.
The Mad Bomber
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Jun 9 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]550792[/snapback]
Well, I'm not a fan of Scar at all. And I think he's horrible in both the anime and the manga. But I think he's the worst in the manga. He just seems to be willing to kill more, and anyone that gets in his way is as good as dead really.

Well we can just pray to the heavens and hope that Kimblee puts a stop to that eh?[spoiler](and survives unlike in anime)[/spoiler]

I personally like the violent version of Scar for some reason so I`d prefer him evil, but frankly he ain`t evil at all, but in anycase I like manga always better than anime because the storyline and some characters are way intriguing.
Alchemical
QUOTE(The Mad Bomber @ Jun 9 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]550874[/snapback]
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Jun 9 2007, 06:04 AM) [snapback]550792[/snapback]

Well we can just pray to the heavens and hope that Kimblee puts a stop to that eh?[spoiler](and survives unlike in anime)[/spoiler]

I personally like the violent version of Scar for some reason so I`d prefer him evil, but frankly he ain`t evil at all, but in anycase I like manga always better than anime because the storyline and some characters are way intriguing.

Actually, I'm hoping Kimblee doesn't stop him. I like Scar a helluva lot more than him. Though, I won't care either way who wins.

I agree, I like Scar being more prone to evil and violence rather than the way he was in the anime. [spoiler]But I do want Scar to go out in a better way than he did in the anime.[/spoiler]
Animeoldtimer
I'd almost like to see Scar get Kimbley given how evil and twisted Kimbley is. Scar, is much darker in the Manga than the Anime, but I believe he'll partialy redeem himself in the end. He didn't kill Winry's parents in his right mind. He was just crazy with anger at seeing his brothers arm on him and at Kimbley for killing him. They just happened to have been in the way.
AA battery
Scar never fits into the "evil people" category to me.

He has good natures to begin with, and taking revenge isn't really something "evil" to do... unethical perhaps, but not evil. To be, evil would be something like "trying to take over the world with bad means", "raping", "killing for fun"...etc

As for which of them is nicer, I guess anime Scar is somewhat less cruel... but then I can so see manga Scar being as "nice" as anime Scar some day...
Chibi_Girl29
good
Edstrom
~ Scarbro's Tattoo ~

Hi, I've been reading here for a great while but I'm newly registered.

Anyhow - there are a lot of coverage about Scar's right arm, especially in the anime. However, I've made up my mind and I am getting Scarbro's left arm done on my left arm. For this, I need to figure out exactly what it looks like. Not an easy task tongue.gif

The only place I've seen it is in chapter 60-61. On the front I can see AQVA or AQUA (The element of water), H and Humor. On the back the only thing I can make out is IGNIS (Element of fire) and E.

The nagas on the lower part of the arm seems to be exactly the same as the one on the left arm but white and flipped - what do you guys think? If that's the case, it's easy as there are so many detailed versions of that array all over the net, and in the official artbook for the manga...

And the arrows on the upper arm, do they have a meaning or are they just for some kind of "energy flow"?

I'm mostly concerned with the nagas and the text.
Anyone having more picture or being able to make out the text? I kind of like having a creative arm than a destructive one wink.gif
Could there be more drawings of it in some artbook only released in Japanese or something like that? Or should I wait and see when/if they show it in the Brotherhood anime?

And as I wrote in the tattoo thread, I'm definitely willing to pay some cash to anyone who can enlighten me about the small text or anything of the kind.

And yes, I know that some might consider that this fits the FMA-tatto-thread (that one is under the anime section though) or the genereal Manga question thread (doesn't have that much with the story to do though). Plus, my left arm is kind of a big concern for me wink.gif But if any mod disagrees with me, just move it where it fits best.
Sannom
I don't think we've ever seen the left arm in whole... in fact, I always thought there was "Igni" on it, but the other half of the tatoo was never shown.
mlle
Hmm... I'm afraid I can't help you :-/ But I just wanted to say, If/When you get that done, take pictures... lots and lots of pictures, and post them up so we can see. Scarbro is so awesome and I'd like to see his tattoo in real life O_O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.