Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question About Archer In Episode 48
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
kaizenyorii
<Editing the thread title from "Question!" and subtitle "About Archer (Spoilers!)" to "Question about Archer in Episode 48" and moving the thread from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum where all episode specific character question threads are being collected currently. 02/23/07 ~Tombow>

[spoiler]im not sure about the chronology of the anime, but doesnt automail surgury take about 3 years of rehab? how long did it take archer to recover from getting half of his body installed with automail?[/spoiler]
PainappuruKii
I don't think it took him very long at all O_o; Now that's scary...
I never really thought about it, but I don't think it was even two months...
That's one of those details we tend to skiip over, methinks XD.
kaizenyorii
exactly what i was thinking. if usually people need 3 years to jsut recover from automail surgury on limbs, then how come nobody makes a big deal when archer comes back in such short itme with half of his body automailed. technically he shouldnt even have survived if he lost half his body....his guts woldve jsut spilled out
Martin Easth
It is remarkable that Archer survived, but it is as you say even more remarkable that he recovered from the surgery that fast.
But I dont think that they cared so much about his body they just "replaced" half his body and gave he somesomething for the pain.
I know the it does´nt fully make sense because the body has to addapt to the artifical material before you can use it in a good way.
My only idea is that they performed some kind a "Drive-In Auto-Mail-Surgery".
(a really fast one but obviously the result would be worse than if they had given archer time to get use to it. )
Chiyo
I suppose what they are trying to suggest is there is little of him left that is human so he barely needs the time to recover. Well thats my take on it, but then again it may just be a mistake.
dream_alchemist
I'm guessing it's yet another plothole to add to the list.

I was re-watching episode 3 the other day, and noted that Ed completely dunked armor!Al into water.

[spoiler] whatever happened to the whole 'oh no! his blood seal is gonna wash off!' thing? [/spoiler]
The Great Asparagus
urghhh that loser frank archer shoulda died (kimblee shoulda died too) but they're victims survived wonderfully, so that's alright. i suppose it's just one of those things with anime, slap some lovely stuff together and hope it works out alright. (and then all us obsessed fans go and dig out the mistakes XP) No offense to the fma anime though, cuz regardless of some weirdness here and there, it's awesome!! XD

yeah that whole thing with the water has been mused over too (in other threads) heheh... maybe it's because the water wasn't deep, and pond water does not have the ability to splash up, unlike river water. (lol as if that makes a difference)
Alchemic Boom
Eh, I haven't personally seen all the episodes with "Fullmetal Archer" but from what I've heard things were getting a bit silly around there, so I guess it's not that surprising he had lightspeed recovery time. Or actually any recovery time for that matter. I guess we can say he's quite the trooper even after succumbing and surviving all that blood loss. But I still can not come up with any bit of logical explanation for how Archer's hair stayed fine and pretty during the whole ordeal.

As for Al...maybe the river's current could rub off the blood seal? That or the more reasonable thing is that the creators just forgot that Al's been pretty much submerged in his armor before.

You know what? Archer's end is pretty dang sad, the man's lived through much worse really. [spoiler] A couple of bullets? Oh yeah I mean that can kill someone but Archer lost half his body and got hit by a grenade. Oh and can't forget the automail surgery. You'd think by then a few bullets would just make him flinch after all that.[/spoiler]
Nepharski
I'm going to assume that as this is the military, they've talken precausions for such cases. They probably have whole warehouses where they keep auto-mail parts. Bring in some half-eaten guy, "This is Col. Archer. He's arm lenght is blah blah, his height blah blah," and then they fish out the exact parts and strap them on. Not custom made, like Ed or Paninya had. Just a rush job, with some painkillers to get the man back out into the feild. Something was aparently botched, however, as Archer clearly goes mad.
Medici
Actually if you look really close, you can see that the hair on the metal side of his head is alot darker than the rest of it. Like he's wearing half of a bad toupe. And yeah, he got character-sheild'd really bad. A few bullets killed a person who took a grenade and getting half his body lopped off. That's ridiculous.

Another interesting thing(That I noticed at 6 o'clock last night after re-watching the episode out of boredom) Being half-human, he'd still need to eat, right? But look at which side got blown off. That's the side that has the heart and stomach on it. How the heck would somebody with no stomach, a missing lung, a fair amount of missing intestines, a missing kidney, maybe missing half a bladder or so, and insane amount amounts of blood loss and no heart survive? Not to mention that a quarter or so of his brain's gone. And what powers the automail? Do they leave him on a charger over the weekend? Does The Fuhrer just come in on Friday at closing time and plug him in? Even if he still had his stomach, he couldn't eat anything because of that ridiculous gun-tongue. Am I the only one who's scared of that? And how does that half-uniform thing stay on? I mean really, just because he's a semi-important character doesn't mean he gets to ignore the laws of physics.

...Sorry about just going off like that. I just oticed this and it kinda annoyed me.

And count me in for the Archery Club, yo.
Kraven Hughes
Archer should have died, he was nothing more than a rank wanting, egotistic man who would do anything to get to General. It still would have taken a while for auto-mail like that to be built for him, then installed, and atleast 2-3 weeks for him to recover from the nerve connection to the auto-mail.
Toby-Chan
What Nepharski said.
Colette
Yeah, just another screwed up thing about the ending...

But doesn't this mean that's Archer's super-human?

Just saying, since all you people are bashing him tongue.gif

(Not that I like Archer. He indirectly hurt poor Greed)
Kraven Hughes
Sooner or later Archer is going to go down for good, and that will be the day for drinks all around biggrin.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(dream_alchemist @ Jan 23 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]341840[/snapback]

I'm guessing it's yet another plothole to add to the list.

I was re-watching episode 3 the other day, and noted that Ed completely dunked armor!Al into water.

[spoiler] whatever happened to the whole 'oh no! his blood seal is gonna wash off!' thing? [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I assume it would take a while for enough water to leak into Al enough to reach his seal.Even then there's no garantee the water would remove dry blood if he got out quick enough.

As for Archer,where does it say 3 years recovery?I assume it's in the manga because I don't recall it from the anime.Besides Auto-Archer is plainly lacking in the ol' sanity department so I doubt he feels anything atall.[/spoiler]
Alchemic Boom
Same here on all those things of how Archer is even alive. Unless Amestris has superiorly advanced technology I don't understand how any of that can possibly work. I thought our world was the machine world and even in this day and age something like Archer would be mere science fiction.

I always wondered if he still did or how he could eat, sleep, drink, use the bathroom and all of those normal human activities. Seems quite impossible and the gun coming out of his mouth didn't help clear any of it up at all. Never noticed that thing about his hair though but I always wondered how that worked... Oh and yet one more question. How on earth can he talk? How can he talk and still have his same voice?

...But I'm okay with the fact that he's alive. So yeah, bend all the rules of life Archer, it's okay. As long as you live.

Hey Nepharski, I don't think you'll be able to fit all the Archery Club members in your signature much longer. wink.gif
Medici
For the whole 'How does he talk?' thing:Y'know those thigns that people who smoke alot have? Y'know, once they get that nasty hole in their throat. They get this li'l microphone ma-jiggy and hold it up to their neck when they want to talk. Maybe one of those is built in? Sounds plausible...
Nepharski
QUOTE(Alchemic Boom @ Feb 26 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]355313[/snapback]
Hey Nepharski, I don't think you'll be able to fit all the Archery Club members in your signature much longer. wink.gif

Why? How many are there now?

Welcome Medici
Popogeejo
[spoiler]Technicly Archer could easily survive.He lost his legs,an arm and part of his skull.Aslong as it doesn't get infected and they keep his blood preasure up they could stableise him long enough to atach(sp?) temporay Automail untill they can get him some where safe.

It's unlikely but not immpossible.He still has his torso and therefore most of his important organs and half a brain.hell with auto mail you could be a brian and a bundel of nerve fiber and still be able to function...[/spoiler]
kaizenyorii
how would you eat with a gun built into your friggin mouth???? dont tell me they hook him up to tubes to feed him.
Medici
They could hook him up to an I.V with vitamins an stuff in it, maybe.
Kraven Hughes
or give him a huge supository XD.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Kraven Hughes @ Feb 26 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]355364[/snapback]

or give him a huge supository XD.

Unless he has another gun....

I think I'll stop there. >.<
Medici
I'm ashamed to say that I thought the same thing...
Nepharski
QUOTE(Medici @ Feb 26 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]355374[/snapback]

I really wish I hadn't posted that, but there you are.
Alchemic Boom
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 26 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]355380[/snapback]

QUOTE(Medici @ Feb 26 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]355374[/snapback]

I really wish I hadn't posted that, but there you are.

...This brings to me another question about exactly how bad he got hit in Lior but I won't say anything due to the fact that it'd be...wrong. I'll end it there.

I'm supposing the IV thing is the most logical way but now I keep wondering how exactly he stays charged up. He'd probably short circuit in the showers too.
Medici
Two words, 'Sponge Bath'

And my theory is that they just stick him on something akin to a giant cell-phone charger for the weekend.
Colette
I think it's good that

[spoiler]He dies, because he's living a pretty hellish life X_x[/spoiler]
Medici
You've got a serious point. Look at Ed, for example, he's always moaning about how much it sucks to have an arm and leg gone. Which I can see why he'd be upset, but Ed should be ashamed of himself. He's whining bout a few limbs when their are other people much worse off. He's just a big baby tongue.gif But yeah, I have to agree with you there, Summoner Colette.
Popogeejo
Also explains why Ed eats so much.Maybe Automail uses the bodys chemicals fo power :S
Colette
QUOTE(Medici @ Feb 26 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]355407[/snapback]

You've got a serious point. Look at Ed, for example, he's always moaning about how much it sucks to have an arm and leg gone. Which I can see why he'd be upset, but Ed should be ashamed of himself. He's whining bout a few limbs when their are other people much worse off. He's just a big baby tongue.gif But yeah, I have to agree with you there, Summoner Colette.

I guess it really isn't a secret that I dislike Ed anymore. unsure.gif

But yeah....Archer is in a better place.

...I think...
Alchemic Boom
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]355417[/snapback]

...I think...

Taking into consideration what we know about him and his life goals... he may have been better off suffering alive.

But then there's Archer's childhood. Who knows he may have gone out every day and saved little old ladies... but taking into consideration the state of his skin... He may have not gone out at all. Staying in his room plotting.

*Looks down* I guess he's got Tucker for company.
Colette
QUOTE(Alchemic Boom @ Feb 26 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]355419[/snapback]

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]355417[/snapback]

...I think...

Taking into consideration what we know about him and his life goals... he may have been better off suffering alive.

But then there's Archer's childhood. Who knows he may have gone out every day and saved little old ladies... but taking into consideration the state of his skin... He may have not gone out at all. Staying in his room plotting.

*Looks down* I guess he's got Tucker for company.

Hence the "I think" >_>

Yeah, I'm putting my money on him going to Hell, but hey, you have a point, at least he's with Tucker and Kimbley.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]355422[/snapback]
Yeah, I'm putting my money on him going to Hell, but hey, you have a point, at least he's with Tucker and Kimbley.

Don't think I'd want to share a level of Hell with Kimblee and Tucker.

"This is sweet. I can make you explode all day, and you reform for me to do it again."
"Get away from me! Tucker help!"
"Oh, Nina! Look at the pale man! He's pale, isn't he?"
"Not for long!"
"..."
Medici
...That's gold right there. Absolute gold. And what's Nina doing in Hell?

I wouldn't mind having to spend the rest of enernity with Archer, Tucker and Kimbley, at least it wouldn't get boring. Unless it was the level of Hell where they had Falman reading a phonebook for the rest of enernity.
Alchemic Boom
*Applaudes to Nepharski's ingenious mind*

Tucker probably has one of his dolls with him. It sounds sort of fun to be stuck in hell with those three. Though horridly painful too. Plus you'd get stuck with others such as Basque Gran, not exactly sure if that's fun.

I think we may be getting a little off-topic now though. >> Maybe we should make a thread for the Archery Club? Basically all Archer discussion in general.
Medici
Who wouldn't want to pester Gran for the rest of time? I wouldn't mind being able to make his life(death?) a living Hell for eternity, pun intended. I wonder what he'd do if you shaved his mustache off...

Sure, sounds like a good idea to me.
Ultimate_Hughes_fan
Wait dosen't Ed spring back very quickly. dry.gif
Medici
It took him a year, I believe. But only because he poured himself into with every fiber of his being.
Colette
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Feb 26 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]355423[/snapback]

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]355422[/snapback]

Don't think I'd want to share a level of Hell with Kimblee and Tucker.

"This is sweet. I can make you explode all day, and you reform for me to do it again."
"Get away from me! Tucker help!"
"Oh, Nina! Look at the pale man! He's pale, isn't he?"
"Not for long!"
"..."

XD

But what about the lovely Barry the Chopper? He'd stir things up too.
Alchemic Boom
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]355451[/snapback]

But what about the lovely Barry the Chopper? He'd stir things up too.

Oh I was thinking about that but he's not exactly dead yet now is he? Not sure I haven't read the manga...but that WOULD be fun.
Colette
I think him and Kimbley would get along really well...
Medici
They would get along pretty well ^__^ wait...are you implying something!?

Colette
QUOTE(Medici @ Feb 26 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]355466[/snapback]

As in....Eww. No.

But remember, Kimbley REALLY wanted to kersplode Al, and Barry has the same body. I'm sure he wouldn't mind being blown up once or twice in exchange for getting to chop up Kimbley.

>.>

I think Kimbley might be gay though (NOTHING against gay people.) I can't help but giggle at this line:

Kimbley *to Al*: You have quite an interesting body....

I know what he meant, but it sounds so funny...
Medici
Sorry about that, I've got a bit of a problem with thinking dirty all the time...

Yeah, was hilarious! Although my pesonal favourite line was, "You tricky little bastard!"
Alchemic Boom
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]355471[/snapback]

QUOTE(Medici @ Feb 26 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]355466[/snapback]

As in....Eww. No.

But remember, Kimbley REALLY wanted to kersplode Al, and Barry has the same body. I'm sure he wouldn't mind being blown up once or twice in exchange for getting to chop up Kimbley.

>.>

I think Kimbley might be gay though (NOTHING against gay people.) I can't help but giggle at this line:

Kimbley *to Al*: You have quite an interesting body....

I know what he meant, but it sounds so funny...

laugh.gif It does sound funny if you think about it! Kimblee and Barry would be friends I think...but to where Kimblee would just get annoyed by Barry.

...Seriously speaking though I never saw and can not see Kimblee as being straight. Bi or gay maybe. (Nothing against non-straight people here too. Heck I have some friends that are bi/gay)

...This is sooooo off-topic.
Medici
Well technically we're still kinda on-topic. We're still discussing characters. And people are still asking questions about Archer, so we're technically cool.

I think Kimbley and Barry would have this enternal battle of sploding and chopping. Sounds fun, ne?

For real, I can't picture him anything but bi, to be totally frank. He hasn't got any hard evidence that he likes women though...

Gawd, why does that whole thing sound dirty if you read between the lines...
Colette
Men, women, they all explode the same. I don't think he's picky about it.

But I don't like the GreedxKimbley pairing, because Greed is....Quite straight. Very straight.

Erm....Yeah. How'd a discussion of auto-mail turn into a discussion about whether or not Kimbley's gay? laugh.gif
Alchemic Boom
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Feb 26 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]355484[/snapback]

Men, women, they all explode the same. I don't think he's picky about it.

But I don't like the GreedxKimbley pairing, because Greed is....Quite straight. Very straight.

Erm....Yeah. How'd a discussion of auto-mail turn into a discussion about whether or not Kimbley's gay? laugh.gif

Pff, Kimblee's sexual preference in men or women has everything to do with how Archer's automail works. But seriously back on topic...

I wonder how on earth did Archer drive with his automail? It's huge, I wonder how he got in the car even.
Medici
Maybe he didn't drive. I think he has wheels installed in his feet. Yes, even the normal foot. He's like a vampire wanna-be Inspector Gadget.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.