Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your State Alchemist Name?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Queen of the dammed
A cliche topic I know, but I saw this on the AnimeSuki forums and found this quite intresting...
What I would like to be called in the Quantium Alchemist because I would specialize in Quantium mechanics, therefore able to transpose energy into matter and matter into energy.. which would be very cool indeed cool.gif ... I could make atomic bombs out of the willl of my mind!!!!!--------->The new Kimberly!!!!!!!!Muahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! O_o

<Moving this from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime foum since this is not discussing any FMA character. And, added the subtitle "If you can chose one yourself" to the thread. 02/25/07 03/16/07 ~Tombow>
Carnal Malefactor
...you wouldn't get to choose your own pseudonym...

I wonder if there's a Full Wooden Alchemist...

<Merged double posting. 03/16/07 ~Tombow>
ScaR
hehe... that would be fun laugh.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(ScaR @ Aug 26 2004, 06:33 PM)
hehe... that would be fun laugh.gif

Especially if Mustang was his sparring partner...
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Aug 26 2004, 10:40 AM)
What I would like to be called in the Quantium Alchemist because I would specialize in Quantium mechanics, therefore able to transpose energy into matter and matter into energy.. which would be very cool indeed cool.gif ... I could make atomic bombs out of the willl of my mind!!!!!

you don't believe in GOd, do you?! i detest people who think like that. People like that don't believe in the beauty of things or things like honour. For them people are like a chair or a table....

hmmm.. coming to your question... i would wanna be called:
Psychophilosophical Alchemist
wolfi1412
me wanna be called the Vine Alchemist!!! to control anything that's plants or made of plants... (such as wood) and then I can tie someone with the vines and then rip them apart!!! muahahahhahahaha (kidding..)
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Aug 26 2004, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Aug 26 2004, 10:40 AM)
What I would like to be called in the Quantium Alchemist because I would specialize in Quantium mechanics, therefore able to transpose energy into matter and matter into energy.. which would be very cool indeed cool.gif ... I could make atomic bombs out of the willl of my mind!!!!!

you don't believe in GOd, do you?! i detest people who think like that. People like that don't believe in the beauty of things or things like honour. For them people are like a chair or a table....

Psychophilosophical Alchemist

[QUOTE] Actually, I do, because Quantium Mechanics is all to do with probability, and my theory is that only God can make anything 100% probable beause he made the rules up tongue.gif And about the chair and table thing, it's not like i don't respect people, it's just that human nature is makig me despair every day...(wars, murders,selfishness e.tc.)..and knowing that God isn't very pleased at the momment... but he still forgivesus....which is something very hard for me to do biggrin.gif
Quistis88
If it was possible to receive my own pseudonym with consent of the current Fuhrer, I'd want to be named either the "Stainless Steel Alchemist" or the "Logophilic Alchemist".

I find stainless steel to be quite ironic since I always see stains on stainless steel.
wolfi1412
[quote=Queen of the dammed,Aug 27 2004, 03:54 AM] [quote=Prinz_Zoisit,Aug 26 2004, 07:31 PM] [quote=Queen of the dammed,Aug 26 2004, 10:40 AM] What I would like to be called in the Quantium Alchemist because I would specialize in Quantium mechanics, therefore able to transpose energy into matter and matter into energy.. which would be very cool indeed cool.gif ... I could make atomic bombs out of the willl of my mind!!!!! [/quote]

Psychophilosophical Alchemist [/quote]
[QUOTE] Actually, I do, because Quantium Mechanics is all to do with probability, and my theory is that only God can make anything 100% probable beause he made the rules up tongue.gif And about the chair and table thing, it's not like i don't respect people, it's just that human nature is makig me despair every day...(wars, murders,selfishness e.tc.)..and knowing that God isn't very pleased at the momment... but he still forgivesus....which is something very hard for me to do biggrin.gif [/quote]
AMEN!!! lolz... well, to tell you the truth, I don't know what Quantium is..
To Queen of the Dammed and Prinz Zoist,
Do you believe in God/Jesus? I do...

back to topic... how about telling where would u put ur alchemy sigil on? hey, how about having a design for ur own alchemy?
Kodachrome
I want to be the Awesome Alchemist
RolfKaese
SEX no alchemist (joke)
Psycojester
I'd be the wittily metaphorical alchemist
becky-baka
i'm a chemistry grad. alchemy is...

less said the better i suppose.

i'd be the lateral alchemist.

you can't get the right answer unless you can think laterally wink.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(RolfKaese @ Aug 27 2004, 12:36 PM)
SEX no alchemist (joke)

..hmm.... rolf.. i think you're getting more and more hentai^^^^

btw, yea i believe in God(see the beliefs section
Hope
I'm sorry; are you actually implying that those who don't believe in a god are incapable of appreciating beauty, or honor, or think of people as objects, or even are inferior morally to those who do believe in god in any way?

Anyway, on topic: I guess something along the lines of the Twilight Alchemist. Not because I have any special ability in mind, but because the name sounds cool and I want to be self-indulgent.

Once FMA is licensed, though, and if it becomes extremely popular, it seems like the fandom will be overrun with Mary Sue writers. It really has the perfect formula for it. Personalized name+special ability+individualized array+rank in the military+romantic possibilities+power-amplifying artifacts=the Silver Unicorn Dragon Alchemist, Lieutenant General Marrine Luna-Farfeather, with whom Roy and Ed are madly in love, possessor of the Philosopher's stone (which she used with Ed to restore Al to his original body), the slayer of homunculi who deserted after she was traumatized by the events in Ishvar, beloved by all the characters for her beautiful singing voice even though she's mackin' on their respective men.
wolfi1412
hey, do u like being alchemist or a chemist? lol hahaa
Senefen
Diamond Alchemist,
Because unlike Ed who uses metal mostly, Roy who uses fire, I'd use Diamond because its easy to make, just cram carbon together, you can make it from air (CO2) wood, uh people. And it's easier than graphite which is made from layers rather than lattice.
And no I'm not just saying this because diamonds are expensive, theyre the hardest natural substance, can be made huge and would be very handy ^^.

Once FMA is licensed, though, and if it becomes extremely popular, it seems like the fandom will be overrun with Mary Sue writers. It really has the perfect formula for it. Personalized name+special ability+individualized array+rank in the military+romantic possibilities+power-amplifying artifacts=the Silver Unicorn Dragon Alchemist, Lieutenant General Marrine Luna-Farfeather, with whom Roy and Ed are madly in love, possessor of the Philosopher's stone (which she used with Ed to restore Al to his original body), the slayer of homunculi who deserted after she was traumatized by the events in Ishvar, beloved by all the characters for her beautiful singing voice even though she's mackin' on their respective men.

God you should see some of the HP, DBZ, X-men etc fan fics. Its FULL of stuff like that, just pathetic. -.-
Queen of the dammed
Answering the belifs thing, I happen to be a christian too...and Jesus is really cool in my opinion biggrin.gif
ScaR
still dunno.... maybe The Lightning Alchemist.. it would be cool biggrin.gif laugh.gif
RolfKaese
Kami no Renkinjutsushi...
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Hope @ Aug 29 2004, 02:15 AM)
I'm sorry; are you actually implying that those who don't believe in a god are incapable of appreciating beauty, or honor, or think of people as objects, or even are inferior morally to those who do believe in god in any way?

they aren't "not capable" of appreciating beauty, of course they find things beautiful -> that's how humans are...

but in their philosophy(no believe in God)...
in the end, for them everything beautiful has no sense!! Something beautiful is equally to something ugly(cause for them ugly things are created from/ can be formed into beautiful things and inverse...)

HOW DARE YOU ARGUE WITH ME?!?!
Nayorth
Ok here are my two cents i guess The Aethest Alchemist because i am one and i do find the beautiful thing and i don't think everything ugly can become beautiful but the oposite is true. and the second would have to be The Dark Alchemist because i would be able to minipulate the air to create shadows to hid my wear abouts and to frighten the enimy. i mean who isn't afraid of total darkness.
wolfi1412
what's Aethest?
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Nayorth @ Aug 30 2004, 02:00 AM)
Ok here are my two cents i guess The Aethest Alchemist because i am one and i do find the beautiful thing and i don't think everything ugly can become beautiful but the oposite is true. and the second would have to be The Dark Alchemist because i would be able to minipulate the air to create shadows to hid my wear abouts and to frighten the enimy. i mean who isn't afraid of total darkness.

<- that's what i said........
Hope
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Aug 29 2004, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE(Hope @ Aug 29 2004, 02:15 AM)

they aren't "not capable" of appreciating beauty, of course they find things beautiful -> that's how humans are...

but in their philosophy(no believe in God)...
in the end, for them everything beautiful has no sense!! Something beautiful is equally to something ugly(cause for them ugly things are created from/ can be formed into beautiful things and inverse...)

HOW DARE YOU ARGUE WITH ME?!?!

Speaking of having no sense...I'm afraid I don't understand what you're getting at with that. Nevertheless, I counter:

Just because something hideous came from beauty and just because something beautiful came from ugliness doesn't destroy the beauty or the ugliness of either. Each hold equal significance. A rose wilts; does this mean that the rose wasn't lovely to smell and to see? Oil can destroy life, yet it makes the most incredible patterns on water. Seeing a vulture in flight is among the more breathtaking sights there are. Does the fact that the vulture eats carrion truly render the flight meaningless?

And are you honestly trying to tell me that Christians can't acknowledge that ugliness and beauty can be made from one another? Was not your god the ultimate creator, bringing light and beauty forth from the darkness?
Carnal Malefactor
[sneezes all over this thread]

saikin no renkinjutsushi to yobe! ph34r.gif
Queen of the dammed
Let's just pipe down and accept other people's religions (for all I care you could be in a Roy X Riza cult and I wouldn't mind tongue.gif ) I'm getting tired of Christians and Aetheists arguing all the time!! Next will be the issue of Evolution! Again!
Prinz_Zoisit
Hope, am i right that you are someone who believes in quantum mechanics etc?

of course every human finds things beautiful and ugly, but for those who believe in quantum mechanics...all these metamorphoses and all these evolutions of things in the end don't count for people who are very scientific and only believe in science!

If you say "This thing is beautiful"... You have to be sad at every time you have seen a beautiful thing and if you described it as beautiful, cause for ppl who only believe in physics, there is NO beauty in the end, cause everything is built from atoms, which are neither beautiful nor ugly... They are just there, it's a thing caused accidentally... and that is sad...

If you don't believe in God, there is no HOPE for you. You can only walk sad around, cause it's all caused by chance...
but otherwise that's also why you don't have to be jealous at someone, cause he is only "moving atoms"...

Physics is objective, not subjective, that means, not the appearance, not the sense is important, but the number of atoms, the weight or the solidity...

Each hold equal significance

What IS a "significance" for you ppl, who believe in quatum mechanics?!?! In the end, it's nothing, cause physics only says "it's there", but not "i wanna say something through(with the help of) this act"...

And are you honestly trying to tell me that Christians can't acknowledge that ugliness and beauty can be made from one another? Was not your god the ultimate creator, bringing light and beauty forth from the darkness?

That is not what i meant. I said that for ppl who believe in physics, beauty and ugliness are equal, but for ppl who believe in God, Beauty and the Good wins against Uglyness and the Bad... For them(not only Christians) the Good is better than the Bad..
For ppl who believe in physics (after the law of logic and of atoms that simply move) everything IS how it IS. It is neither bad nor good. There is neither a good end, neither a bad one. Everyone himself only consists of atoms which simply move around and cause chemical reactions in their mind, that cause them to do something(an act)...

Believers can acknowledge that beauty and uglyness are created from each other, but they got a (good or bad)sense in doing this while non-believers don't have any sense at all by doing this...-> and that means(for non-believers) that there is a justification for egoism!!!

A rose wilts; does this mean that the rose wasn't lovely to smell and to see? Oil can destroy life, yet it makes the most incredible patterns on water. Seeing a vulture in flight is among the more breathtaking sights there are. Does the fact that the vulture eats carrion truly render the flight meaningless?

of course the rose was lovely to smell, and oil makes incredible patterns, of course how vultures fly is beautiful, but if you are able to say that, you aren't a true physician, cause physicians have to say:

"The rose wilts cause it has no water/cause it's winter(The rose is beautiful cause (most of the)humans consider the symmetry of the blossom of the rose as beautiful)" or
"The oil drop causes death because it's consistance is built so that it pollutes ~600l of water(The oil drop is beautiful cause(most of the) humans consider symmetry as the most beautiful thing)" or
"The vulture flies beautiful around cause a bird ever was a symbol of mightiness or power for the humans(Vulture is ugly cause only FOR HUMANS carrion is ugly)"...
AND THAT'S IT, NOTHING MORE!!

Physicians got an answer for every simple/complicated thing on earth(that's like mathematics) and this lets nature not appear as a "wonder" to humans anymore, cause for them, they almost know everything and almost to everything got an answer, so you don't have to be afraid, so you don't have to be happy, so you don't have to be sad or jealous, cause it simply IS as it IS!!!(but that is sad and triste, emotionless)........

if you don't believe in God("a super-natural thing"), while thinking that there's nothing more beautiful than nature or love etc, then you believe also in "super-natural things" and that is a conflict...

maybe i misunderstood you^^;;

-------------------------------------------------

HOPE..., your signature is very interesting...:

"You're older than you've ever been - and now you're even older; and now you're even older; and now you're even older; you're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older, and now you're older still." -They Might Be Giants

It's similar to the fact that everything you see happens in the past............
-> but is this really important for us humans?
Hope
Mm. Fantastic. Another wanker who mocks my name. No, really; I love you people; you're all so original. It's my given name, not a handle: thus I kindly ask you to shove it, doughboy.

Anyway. I think...I'm sorry, but there's no way this can come out kindly: I think you really don't know what you're talking about. This is entirely an experiential thing. A scientist is more than a scientist; profession doesn't determine the entirety of a person. For example, you said:

of course the rose was lovely to smell, and oil makes incredible patterns, of course how vultures fly is beautiful, but if you are able to say that, you aren't a true physician, cause physicians have to say:

"The rose wilts cause it has no water/cause it's winter(The rose is beautiful cause (most of the)humans consider the symmetry of the blossom of the rose as beautiful)" or
"The oil drop causes death because it's consistance is built so that it pollutes ~600l of water(The oil drop is beautiful cause(most of the) humans consider symmetry as the most beautiful thing)" or
"The vulture flies beautiful around cause a bird ever was a symbol of mightiness or power for the humans(Vulture is ugly cause only FOR HUMANS carrion is ugly)"...
AND THAT'S IT, NOTHING MORE!!

Scientists, however, are not - Vulcans, is it? The ones on Star Trek. Scientists aren't inhuman. They understand the roots of things, yes, but they're not purely analytical. That's like saying a math teacher can't enjoy art, because art isn't mathematical. It's like saying that a Christian can't enjoy computers, because computers aren't part of the Christian faith. But all of these things can happen, because people aren't just their profession, people are emotion and instinct and flesh, with vocations and avocations, and even if someone understands the composition of a thing, even if they dissect a thing at work, doesn't mean that on their way home they can't stop and enjoy the spontaneity of a flower. People rise above what they are.

Hope, am i right that you are someone who believes in quantum mechanics etc?

of course every human finds things beautiful and ugly, but for those who believe in quantum mechanics...all these metamorphoses and all these evolutions of things in the end don't count for people who are very scientific and only believe in science!

If you say "This thing is beautiful"... You have to be sad at every time you have seen a beautiful thing and if you described it as beautiful, cause for ppl who only believe in physics, there is NO beauty in the end, cause everything is built from atoms, which are neither beautiful nor ugly... They are just there, it's a thing caused accidentally... and that is sad...

And, in a way, knowing the cells, knowing the atoms, knowing every quark in every neutron merely enhances beauty. Indeed, there is loveliness in chaos, in the sheer improbability of flight or the spiral of a galaxy. There's such wonder in looking at something and realizing the sheer, overwhelming odds in it getting there, and yet it being there! I've always found mountains more beautiful than paintings of mountains; and I've always thought something natural, improbable, more beautiful than something manufactured.

I believe in physics, yes. I believe in the possibility of the divisible. But when I see beauty, I don't see chemical compounds - I see triumph.

And re: my signature: It's a song, doofus. Haven't you ever heard of TMBG? Fantastic band. Hilarious. How can you not love a group that makes a song about James K. Polk?

Oh, by the way - I'm guessing you're not a native English speaker? Just for future reference - physicians are doctors; physicists study physics.

Maybe we should take this elsewhere? I feel bad for having hijacked this thread.
Queen of the dammed
Perhaps... GOD MAKES ATOMS!!!! *gasp*
Prinz_Zoisit
let me answer to the main thoughts of your postings:

That's like saying a math teacher can't enjoy art, because art isn't mathematical.

no, for physicians, art is simply "mathematical"(talking of a person who doesn't believe in God. There are many math teachers who believe in God -> that is good!)...

It's like saying that a Christian can't enjoy computers, because computers aren't part of the Christian faith.

where is this said in the Bible? there it's said that "we humans shall make us the earth subject" that means that a computer is a stupid, but good help for us humans. It does things quicker than human can-> calculate. That's what a computer simply does. It's similar to riding a bike in order to be faster...

But all of these things can happen, because people aren't just their profession, people are emotion and instinct and flesh, with vocations and avocations, and even if someone understands the composition of a thing, even if they dissect a thing at work, doesn't mean that on their way home they can't stop and enjoy the spontaneity of a flower.

yes, sure, i said that they can and do, that's human nature, but they indirectly don't admit that there's something super-natural behind all this and that's why everything of this is condemmned for them to have no value in the end...

People rise above what they are.

After the law of logic and physics, nothing with greater value can be created from something which got a value...
i see You aren't a Full Metal Alchemist-Fan cause if you had seen this series, you would know the word "touka kouka" which got the same meaning as "nothing can be created from nothing"...

And, in a way, knowing the cells, knowing the atoms, knowing every quark in every neutron merely enhances beauty. Indeed, there is loveliness in chaos, in the sheer improbability of flight or the spiral of a galaxy.

...but for physicians this thing is still "calculable" and consequently in vain...

There's such wonder in looking at something and realizing the sheer, overwhelming odds in it getting there, and yet it being there!

It is disgusting how you are talking about these things... what is beautiful in knowing the atoms of a rose?.... For you, they only got another structure.
Physicians are objective, so they also say that animals and bacteria got the same value as humans(they simply got another structure).
But does a tiny little bacteria on the (for human beautiful) rose know how beautiful this rose is? no, cause this bacteria moves in another "cosmos"(dimension) than we humans.
That's why for physicians, nothing really is "beautiful" or "not beautiful", cause it depends on the dimension in which a creature(like a human, like a bacteria) lives in!!...

I've always found mountains more beautiful than paintings of mountains; and I've always thought something natural, improbable, more beautiful than something manufactured.

*sigh...
good for you... but i told you several times, that it's in human nature to find things good or bad, but for physicians who don't accept super-natural things, actually all is in vain...
we humans can't do things that are natural or that are improbable... we are only capable of creating things with the help of our hands/our mouths etc. That's why you have to lower your standards in finding manufactural things beautiful or not...

I believe in physics, yes. I believe in the possibility of the divisible. But when I see beauty, I don't see chemical compounds - I see triumph.

"triumph", eh?...
you are someone with a very good eye for the things that happen around you. And to be powerless by saying something like this is the right way...

And re: my signature: It's a song, doofus. Haven't you ever heard of TMBG? Fantastic band. Hilarious. How can you not love a group that makes a song about James K. Polk?

you are right, i amn't a native english speaker, but i recognize that you yourself don't understand to use latin words like the word "re".
One only says this word after the word "contra", but only if these two words refer to the same topic!...

no, sry, i don't know this band... thanks for this hot debate...^^
Queen of the dammed
Sorry for making you argue about this due to my choices of mere thing such as a state alchemist's second name.

also, ist du deutsch? Ich kann deutsch sprechen, aber meine deutsch is nicht seher gut... biggrin.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
But there are math teachers who do believe in God -> that is okay[/b]

(i thought(cause YOU aren't a believer, HOPE) that you were talking about non-believer mathematicians...maybe that's what you meant...

but i myself got friends, too who aren't believers, as long as they are good friends...

Sorry for making you argue about this due to my choices of mere thing such as a state alchemist's second name.

also, ist du deutsch? Ich kann deutsch sprechen, aber meine deutsch is nicht seher gut... biggrin.gif

hehe^^;; we have to be sorry to use this thread for this argueing...

ja, ich bin deutsch, aber ich finde es gut, dass du deutsch sprechen kannst, denn Deutsch ist eine schöne Sprache^^
hakai-kun
interesting debate on religion going on here? l0l

as far as state alchemist's names go, I'd be:

Hakai no Renkinjutsushi!!

XD get it? it's from my name. l0l. It would mean the destruction alchemist. And i'd specialize in decomposition! dry.gif but seriously, i thinks i'll leave the OC state alchemists to the mary-sues. -shudders- laugh.gif
Queen of the dammed
Diene Deutsch is sehr sehr gut!!!! Ich bin Chinase(Bad spelling), und wohne aus Hong Kong tongue.gif

Anyway, thinking about it, Ed is kind of a quantium alchemist.... he's seen the truth... therefore he must have seen the *Drumrolls*: THE GRAND UNIFIED THEORY OF EVERYTHIHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If there is such a thing)
or in the case of the manga he must have met something supernatural too, since that thing that took his arm and leg did seem very......... powerful....... Hmmmmmm..... Anyway, it's quite an enjoyable debate...very educational....I've learnt lots!!!!!!!!!!
Prinz_Zoisit
Diene Deutsch is sehr sehr gut!!!! Ich bin Chinase(Bad spelling), und wohne aus Hong Kong tongue.gif

hi, wie geht es dir? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyway, thinking about it, Ed is kind of a quantium alchemist.... he's seen the truth... therefore he must have seen the *Drumrolls*: THE GRAND UNIFIED THEORY OF EVERYTHIHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If there is such a thing)
or in the case of the manga he must have met something supernatural too, since that thing that took his arm and leg did seem very......... powerful....... Hmmmmmm..... Anyway, it's quite an enjoyable debate...very educational....I've learnt lots!!!!!!!!!!

yes, the GUT(grandunified theorie) i heard of that and i read a book of that thing^^;;
-> two theories are already combined, i think^^;;;(sry, if i post sth wrong)

yay! that's why what we live for^^^^
wolfi1412
sleep.gif'...
can we go back to the topic??
Satoru
I'm something like Hentai no Renkinjutsushi.
Dunno what my speciality is though. I'll have to work on that one. ^^
Queenozelight
Hi!!!I'm new!!!Anyway,I wanna be the wind alchemist!If that has already been posted,then I excuse myself!*bows so low I fall*If I am incoherent,it's my school's fault! blink.gif I hate school....
Hope
Well, I originally wasn't going to respond to this, but your insulting my Latin got my dander up. "Re" is the ablative of "res," meaning "matter"; the construction is ablative of respect. Thus "re" literally means "on the matter of" or "concerning the matter of." Thus "Re: my signature" means "on the matter of my signature." "Contra" - "against" - would be inappropriate, for reasons which I certainly hope are clear, and saying that you can only use res after contra is completely incorrect.

Challenge me again and I swear to god I'm gonna start translating Vergil.

Anyway. I really do want to end this, so basically, here's the summation of my argument, minutiae and poetry removed:

You're in no position to say what someone who believes in physics perceives, because you don't believe in physics. Someone who does believe in physics is far more qualified than one such as you to describe their experience because it is their experience.

And you cannot say that merely because someone believes in something, it is the entirety of their existance. People who believe in physics don't always look at something from a physicist's point of view, just as Christians don't always look at something from a religious point of view.

Anyway. Sorry, Wolfi. I swear I'm done just so long as Zoisit doesn't, you know, imply that I'm incompetent in my Latin studies any more.
Sakura-chan
You now what I never think about it. If I wear a State Alchemist I think I will be somewone cool and great like Roy!! ( he's so sweet ) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
"Re" is the ablative of "res," meaning "matter"; the construction is ablative of respect. Thus "re" literally means "on the matter of" or "concerning the matter of."

okay, this was a small thing,^^
i learned in school that the ablative of "res"->"re" means "with a thing" or "with the help of a thing"...

Thus "Re: my signature" means "on the matter of my signature." "Contra" - "against" - would be inappropriate, for reasons which I certainly hope are clear, and saying that you can only use res after contra is completely incorrect.

i said that you could use the word re only after the word contra...

Challenge me again and I swear to god I'm gonna start translating Vergil.

how old are you?

You're in no position to say what someone who believes in physics perceives, because you don't believe in physics. Someone who does believe in physics is far more qualified than one such as you to describe their experience because it is their experience.

...The discussions comes to its lowest point, when you suppose i couldn't understand you.....

-> you could have said it before.... you could have said that sentence at the beginning of our discussion... But now it's YOU who puts an end to this... How simple it is to end a discussion, huh, hope?

And you cannot say that merely because someone believes in something, it is the entirety of their existance. People who believe in physics don't always look at something from a physicist's point of view, just as Christians don't always look at something from a religious point of view.

yes of course, christians(why are you only thinking of christians.... and not of moslems, hindus, busshists, too?!?!) aren't able to live completely after the rules of the bible, etc... but their aim is it to live like that(like after the bible, like after physics) and there is no hope with the aim of physics...

are you saying that physicians are satisfied with the fact that they are only living by chance?
if you say that i cannot say anything against that..........

Anyway. Sorry, Wolfi. I swear I'm done just so long as Zoisit doesn't, you know, imply that I'm incompetent in my Latin studies any more.

are you studying latin at the moment, i mean at school?

@wolfi1412:

nice avatar... it suits to a wine alchemist^^^^
Kodachrome
Why the hell are you even having this conversation over the usage of "Re?"
Seven Deadly Sins
Calamity Alchemist,why? coz i love destruction.
Hope
Why the hell are you even having this conversation over the usage of "Re?"

BECAUSE I AM A LATIN SCHOLAR. SALVE.

okay, this was a small thing,^^
i learned in school that the ablative of "res"->"re" means "with a thing" or "with the help of a thing"...

It can mean that, certainly, but the thing about the ablative is that it's so incredibly versatile. There are numerous constructions involving the ablative without a preposition (ablative of means, ablative of respect, ablative of place where, etc.), so a word such as "re" can have numerous meanings.

i said that you could use the word re only after the word contra...

Pardon me. Typo.

And, yes, I am studying Latin at school. I'm currently in my fourth year of study, in AP Latin. (If you're unfamiliar with the AP program - it's a program that tries to mimic a college-level course and generally fails miserably. Generally.)

how old are you?

I'm seventeen. How is that relevant?

Anyway. I'm not going to really respond to the debate debate, aside from to say that I resent the implication that I ended the conversation in order to have the last word, rather than to stop hijacking this thread; and that I assure you that I didn't mean to imply that you weren't able to grasp my arguments, and that it was in no way an insult: I was, rather, saying that you were unqualified to make statements of someone else's experience.
Prinz_Zoisit
okay, i'm contented with that...(and i admire Latin -> so, Latin scholars!!!) *bows!!!

sry, if i insulted you!! sleep.gif

P.S.: of course, everyone's view of life is built of the experience of this one person... and i never wanted to force someone to a certain view. I only talk/argue with him, if he is willing to have a conservation with me... nothing else!
wolfi1412
...really goes off topic.. what's up with this 're' conversation?
wth is this?

I said that for ppl who believe in physics, beauty and ugliness are equal, but for ppl who believe in God, Beauty and the Good wins against Uglyness and the Bad... For them(not only Christians) the Good is better than the Bad..
(i'd quote more of the "u cant appreciate life [or anything else] if u believe in science" posts... but it'd be a waste of space...)

for one thing, u're saying that if i believe in physics i have no appreciation for beatuty (since beauty and ugliness are 'the same' to me)?!? to me, it's pretty d#$% beautiful how science seems to describe things in life... to see how some simple ideas can be put together to form something so complicated, that's pretty sweet... the only person unable to appreciate beauty is the one ignorant enough to believe in only one thing and to shun other ideas... that's pretty Ugly... thats why we have wars... thats why ppl die for such Bad reasons...

anyway... back to the topic... Void Alchemist.... i'd take objects from the world and compact them into really dense objects, effectively making mini blackholes tongue.gif
wolfi1412
"mini" black holes??
Queen of the dammed
Black Holes were never big in the first place... just that they almost have infinite gravity... For all I know it could be as big as an atom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.