Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Do You Buy Your Manga?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Dead Alchemist
So anyone out there wanna answer dry.gif

EKE: *edits title X3*
Ronaldo Rodregez
Borders and once I think from Barnes and Noble.
Elderberry
Bleh. *not fond of this thread but sees no exact duplicate*

Well, I occasionally stop by Borders or Walden Books for several hours at a time to read random licensed manga series. *has only actually bought anything like five times* I've visited Kinokuniya and Book-Off to pick up original Japanese tankouban before. I've also bought some manga volumes and phonebook issues off eBay and other random Internet locations. Aside from that, there are of course scanlations, which I don't obtain too much of these days with my dial-up. rolleyes.gif
Phyco girl
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Nov 6 2005, 04:39 PM) [snapback]310030[/snapback]

Bleh. *not fond of this thread but sees no exact duplicate*

Well, I occasionally stop by Borders or Walden Books for several hours at a time to read random licensed manga series. *has only actually bought anything like five times* I've visited Kinokuniya and Book-Off to pick up original Japanese tankouban before. I've also bought some manga volumes and phonebook issues off eBay and other random Internet locations. Aside from that, there are of course scanlations, which I don't obtain too much of these days with my dial-up. rolleyes.gif

I too am guilty of read a ton of manga without even buying it. Though, I did end up with 50+ of them in my room *_____*

... So that's where all the money went rolleyes.gif...
DustStorm
I get my manga from Borders.
Martel
I get mine from this awesome local store called Marshaks. Best place in the world for nerds like me.
MasterKris
Foreign country book stores...
japaneseobesession
hmmmmmmmmm

-Barnes and Noble
-Borders
-WaldenBooks
-random stores in NYC

I think that's it
Blitz
The manga that I usually buy are those that are worth the money or else I just get the scanlated versions.

I get my manga (on very rare occasions that I actually decide to spend $10 on a volume) from Barnes and Noble and RightStuf.com. Occasionally my grandma will send over manga that has been translated into Korean. ^^.
Carnal Malefactor
This place in Harvard Square called Tokyo Kid. They have virtually everything you could ever look for, anime-related.
And if it's not in stock, they can order it for you. biggrin.gif
Riza_0721
So far i've only bought them at reqular book stores like B/N or Borders.

As much as I know we don't have any speciality houses where I live.
Thievesvinegar
I feel for all of you. I've got a number of manga/japanese bookstores near me. If something is not in stock, I make my loveable japanese friend order it for me.
Quistis88
I get mine at the comic/manga store on campus, since it's cheaper there than at regular bookstores. If I cannot find something I want there, I go to Chapters.
Dingbat
I get all of my Indonesian-translated manga (oficially legal ones) from a local bookstore called Gramedia. 1manga is roughly about US$1 if converted. Of course for us Indonesians that amount is equivalent to about 3 bucks. Currently I have 250+ manga from there alone.

English-translated manga I got from Borders or Kinokuniya. The latter is preferrable cause they import a lot of Japanese books too. Hmm I wonder if they'd ever import doujin, or if I can order doujins from there...

Anyone knows?
animefangirl
barnes and nobles ,and i go to kinokuniya too (btw i asked if they import duojin and they told me that they dont,i wonder why fan made manga isent there since it can be so good sometimes ) !
Dingbat
So Kino won't import doujins? Awww.... There goes my dream... I was hoping they'd do it since doujins are sold legally in Japan...
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i get mine at Borders or the store at the mall smile.gif bookstores are now my favorite places to go laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
Jen_Elric
I get mine at Waldenbooks, Borders, Suncoast, and one time, I ordered from Tokyopop.com (Fruits Basket vol. 7).
shadow_raven_nevermore
bamm.com
Sith lord Revan 64
Barnes and Noble, and Borders.

THIS IS MY HUNDREATH POST YAY>
here, and the B-gap here, and on this play its a dive so the ball goes to the running back and BAM he penetrates the A-hole"

Ed#1Fan2.0
I get my manga at a book store in the mall.
the_lightning_alchemist10
I go to Barnels and Nobles, Suncoast, Waldenbooks, a japanese supermarket place with a bookstore (Mitsuwa i think it's called), Borders, any other place i can find. they are all translated into English, so expensive, but I'll be going to a Korean bookstore soon whenever my vocabulary and reading skills are high enough to read in Korean (yay cheaper prices!!)
animefangirl
QUOTE(Dingbat @ Nov 11 2005, 10:22 AM) [snapback]312477[/snapback]

So Kino won't import doujins? Awww.... There goes my dream... I was hoping they'd do it since doujins are sold legally in Japan...

i kinda thought abuot that too... blink.gif
Master of Alchemists
I get mine through Shonen Jump.
Kyros
I only have a few but I would go to Waldenbooks, Borders, or Barnes and Noble probably.
Chibi-Usa
I get mine from Waldenbooks
Sesshy_Kurama_Bakura
I usually go to Media Play, although I once got a Japanese DBZ manga from a restaurant called Ken Ken.
Le Monkey
www.amazon.co.uk

anyways, I only buy onee serise.. lol
Fan_Alchemist
Border's Bookstore and Barn's and Noble (Did I spell it right?)
StrawberryShampoo
I buy my manga at a store.

Seriously though, I buy mine from a place called Walden's Books at my mall if not there then B/N or Books a million.
I hate living where I do...because half the people have no idea what manga is.... and I don't have any cool stores like Borders.
animefangirl
QUOTE(StrawberryShampoo @ Dec 1 2005, 05:29 PM) [snapback]322676[/snapback]

Seriously though, I buy mine from a place called Walden's Books at my mall if not there then B/N or Books a million.
I hate living where I do...because half the people have no idea what manga is.... and I don't have any cool stores like Borders.

i feel sorry for you .where i live evryone knows or heard or saw manga,the closest store thatsells manga is 45 minutes away from brooklyn ,so the best place to get it is the library
-Kr!zY-
i usually buy mine from amazon.co.jp....it's way cheaper than getting manga from any NZ bookshop :] otherwise i go to this manga/comic shop that sells english manga slightly cheaper than actual bookshops tongue.gif
Fan_Alchemist
QUOTE(StrawberryShampoo @ Dec 1 2005, 07:29 PM) [snapback]322676[/snapback]

That's terrible.
The Great Asparagus
waldenbooks. happy.gif they seem to have the manga out earlier than other places. or at least where i live
waldenbooks. they seem to have the manga out earlier than other places. or at least where i live

ya i noticed that too. but then if you look at websites of the publshers, Waldenbooks just puts them on shelves faster. But the Barnes & Noble by me does the same thing sometimes.......my area of livin is just weird though. There are anime fans who don't know about anime, magical shelves, bookfairs with actual decent manga, and teachers that give us enough HW to last us the rest of our lives....actually the last one is everywhere. Oh and BTW, someone told my places like EBGames has manga now, is that true?
Sleeping Forest
Suncoast. doesn't anyone go to suncoast?
please dont hurt me
i usually get them from borders or i just borow them frommy freinds
Suncoast. doesn't anyone go to suncoast?

*raises hand* i do! it has everything....like plushies, maga, Pocky, Ramune, anime, Ramune, and Ramune!
Ed#1Fan2.0
My favorite place in the mall closed sad.gif But they have a new book store now called Borders.I love it!They have all kinds of manga and anime stuff there. biggrin.gif
Nothingness
i usually get mine from borders or suncoast! just bought 3 more today
Demonhunter399
i usually get my manga from boreders or from my freinds.
drake220
I was looking at prices online and in the bookstores and I once again realized something:
Manga is obscenely expensive.
I know why- the books are imported, the translation fees, the relatively small market (even though manga is now the fastest growing subset of publishing out there. Our power is growing!!) payback.
but it's $10 a volume at B&N, Borders and those types of places! Online is cheaper but sometimes the quality is substandard and it looks like someone's dog chewed on your new book.
How much do you guys pay per volume? Is it different for preferred series?
What sites/places do you go to get your manga? Cheapest or the one you know will actually deliver?
Lastly, I was wondering what the craziest length you've gone to get that volume you had to have. (This one is out of simple curiousity)
Personally, I just force my local library to buy my manga for me and I just rent it out. I simply can't afford to buy all the manga I want. sad.gif

MasterKris
how far? I get my mangas from my foreign country. Cheapter than US, better than US. (translations suck, I hate you VIZ!!)
Fayth Prophecy
I got to Barnes and Nobles. Closest place there is where I live.
Jen_Elric
Waldenbooks and Borders (one time at Suncoast). The only manga I'm currently reading online is Naruto. The series is soo long and I'm already buying the Inuyasha series. dry.gif
B&N, Suncoast, Waldens, a japanese market (i get coupons!), and soon in foreign bookstores. as soon as a build a better vocabulary of the language. and a lot of the time online manga sux, so i buy the crappy translations. and the craziest lenght i've ever gone to get a manga was....i took my friends and ran like 10 blocks.....WHAT? she was being a greedy, spoiled brat. i had to take it. the next day, i bought it at B&N with a coupon.

@drake220: instead of making my library buy them, i have my friends for that! we just borrow off of each other.
drake220
Is no one else irritated by the cost though? Normally, hard cover books are about $10-15!!!! These are multi-volume series that are paperback! I mean, couldn't they find a way to make it cheaper?!?!
It's petty larceny. mad.gif Personally, I would love to borrow off friends but i'm the only human being I'm in physical contact with that's into anime/manga. Being a loner is expensive...
Zarpia
I know how you feel, I'm the only one that likes manga and my brother but he doesn't have the money to buy it, I only have 2 volumes XD and I plan to buy more but not for now, I will have to save for it.
Molecular Alchemist
I get my manga from B&N or Borders....they tend to be closest to my house. I only have one series, though...because most are soo freaking long, and I'm NOT spending hundreds of dollars on graphic novels...that's just silly (I'd rather spend that amount on the dvd's of the series).I mean, comparing the cost of manga to a regular book that I read..the manga IS cheaper per novel, but if you calculate the whole series...yeah...it's getting kinda out of the comfort zone as far as my price range is concerned. For some of the longer manga series, I try to find versions online, or borrow a book or two from a friend. Sure, it may be a cheap way of doing it, but I'm a stingy college student laugh.gif

(EKE: Manga buying/obtaining threads have been merged.)
phoenix dying
I get my online off of amazon.com but sometimes i get it from my other sources. *wink**wink*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.