Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battlestar Galactica
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
(Mod-sama - I checked, and there is a "What Is Your Favorite Show On The Sci-fi Channel? " thread in this forum. If this thread falls as a duplicate thread, please feel free to delete/close this one.) smile.gif

For those who don't know the show, Battlestar Galactica is a cool futuritsic sci-fi fic on Sci-fi channel (in the U.S.)
I'm not good with descriptions, but maybe others can explain it ... smile.gif

For those who are fans of the show:
New episode starts tonight!!
Tonight's ep is "Resurrection Ship - Part I" Episode #211.

Wow, Michelle Forbes's Admiral (Ensign Ro Laren of "Star Trek: The Next Generation") is nasty and mean!!
mei_tenshi
"Nasty" and "mean" are too tame! She's eviiiill, EVIIILL!!!

I really liked how this episode ended, wtith the Admiral and the Commander outlining their assassination plans. Such intrigue! I can't wait for next week's episode. I haven't been this excited over a show in a loooong time. happy.gif
Tombow
^^ I totally agree!! happy.gif

They started out new episodes with big bang in tonight's episode!! Fast moving, and very suspenseful.
When the Mdm. President told Commander Adama what she thought he should do, I was like, "Whoa!! Did she just say that??" XDD
And that lead to awsome switching scenes between Commander, and Admiral... good actings by these two, and excellent editings.
The episode ended with me hanging at the edge of seat. I think this show really knows how to build up the suspense! happy.gif

Oh, and Starbuck got promoted as a CAG in this episode. Yay!! smile.gif
(Tho, she also got really tough order from Commander Adama. Yikes!!)

Can't wait to see how everything will unfold in the next episode!! happy.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jan 7 2006, 04:10 AM) [snapback]337343[/snapback]

Oh, and Starbuck got promoted as a CAG in this episode. Yay!! smile.gif
(Tho, she also got really tough order from Commander Adama. Yikes!!)

Yeah...I wonder if she would really do it, though? She probably would, considering how she's always been with the Galactica/Colony through thick and thin, but it seemed like she was convinced by the Admiral's sweet- (more like war-) talking about reclaiming the 12 Colonies and kicking Cylon butt. I hope she does pull the trigger, so to speak...that Admiral's scary. unsure.gif But I guess it only adds to the suspense.
White Alchemist
*Twitch,Twitch* Must see next Ep.!!!!!!!! My favorite is the one where they build the Blackbird. That was Awesome!! *Squeels*
Tombow
@mei_tenshi - I'm hoping somehow other stuff happens and that would take care of the Admiral, and Starbuck does not have to do it.
I think she has the guts to carry out the order, but it's icky. Maybe that Commander who's sent by Admiral will turn to Adama's side??
Mmmm, I can't wait to see the next episode!! biggrin.gif

@White Alchemist - The Blackbird building episode is one of my fav ep also!!
It was very touching!! happy.gif
This series contains so much human drama as well as cool action sequences. Another reason I love this show!!

ETA (Jan.13)
Tonight's episode: "Resurrection Ship - Part II" Episode #212.

I'll be back with my thoughts after I watch the show!!
mei_tenshi
I'm gonna need to watch Resurrection Ship Part 2 again. My brother and I had to explain the plot and other info for our sister on and off during the episode.

Another great episode, in my opinion. Something interesting that my brother brought up during the Resurrection Ship Operation--the intensity of the scenes completely shifted from the usual Humans vs. Cylon-oriented to the Galactica vs. Pegasus action. It almost feels inconsequential that they took out "the most important ship in the universe."

[spoiler]It's also interesting how the makers maneuvered it so that the Admiral is taken out without having Commander (now Admiral) Adama's or Starbuck's hands dirtied. The way it happened, though--the doctor releasing the Cylon, and having her kill the Admiral--it seemed too clean. But I guess it needed to be done.[/spoiler]

I had a feeling that the little scene at the end between Admiral Adama and Madame President was going to happen. There were hints leading up to it, especially in Resurrection Ship Part 1.
Tombow
^^ I agree!! It was another fast moving, edge of the seat, suspensful episode!! happy.gif

I was only 1/4 right about taking care of Admiral. I got it right that Starbuck did not have to do it. (Big relief!!)
But I did not see that plot twist coming...

After they took out the Cylon ship, I was glad BOTH Admiral and Adama called off each plan.
That gave me the false hope that maybe the two could co-exist in the story for a while... then, BANG!! The admiral's gone!!
Yeah, that was done rather quickly, considering when Adama was shot he stayed in the Med bed many episodes before we finally learned he would live...
I was kind of sad that Admiral was gone that quick.
I hated the character, but she made excellent bad guy (lady,) and she brought intensity to the series. I wish they would have kept her in the story longer.
I think Starbuck genuinely admired her in many levels. What she spoke at the Admiral's memorial (and Adama's slight reaction to it) was interesting.

The bond between Adama and Madam President, yeah, I also felt it for a long time, and I was like, "hey, what took them so long!!" happy.gif

Your brother is right, that usually, the battle victory over Cylon gets played up loud, but this one was totally focused on the "plans," and that was nice change of pace.
Tho, the battle scene was totally cool!!

And, yeah, I have to agree that they sort of "copped out" by making the Cylon lady did the dirty job, AND making Apollo float in the space while this was happening... But, I forgive them because I feel the episode was still very satisfying... happy.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jan 16 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]339258[/snapback]
And, yeah, I have to agree that they sort of "copped out" by making the Cylon lady did the dirty job, AND making Apollo float in the space while this was happening... But, I forgive them because I feel the episode was still very satisfying... happy.gif

Indeed! Apollo's absence placed more pressure on Starbuck...imagine what would've happened if she had to shoot the Admiral, with no backup! ph34r.gif I thought Apollo's reaction after coming back was interesting--how he said he wanted to die out there. He's always been so gung-ho about preserving the human race, fighting the Cylons, supporting the Fleet and all that--this admission did for Apollo what that video the *coughCyloncough* reporter made did for the crew: it made us put him in a harsh, but real, light. And you can't even blame him for it.
AndroidLust
I`ve actually missed the new episodes!!! Ggrrr, fencing is taking over every aspect of my life! De mi vada!!! But don`t worry, I`ll watch it tonight. biggrin.gif Liuckily you guys are keeping up to date!! biggrin.gif
Tombow
^^ Nice to see you AndroidLust!! happy.gif

QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Jan 17 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]339262[/snapback]

I thought Apollo's reaction after coming back was interesting--how he said he wanted to die out there. He's always been so gung-ho about preserving the human race, fighting the Cylons, supporting the Fleet and all that--this admission did for Apollo what that video the *coughCyloncough* reporter made did for the crew: it made us put him in a harsh, but real, light. And you can't even blame him for it.

I agree. Excellent observation!!
Aw, aw, I almost forgot... More promotion!! Captain Adama is now Admiral Adama!!

Tonight's episode: "Epiphanies" Episode #213.

Ok, I watched the episode.
I'm glad the Madam President did not die. Although, I guessed midway the possibility of the Cylon baby's blood/tissue/culture, etc. saving her llife, and if a half dimwits like me could guess that, that means the episode wasn't crafted at it's best, I think. biggrin.gif
This episode was more of a political intrigue. Not much action scenes, but a new (possible) political threats rising...
Madam President's dream/flashback scenes were interesting. Did I see it correctly that she and then the President were kissing?? Hmmm. Ok...
And, she saw Dr./Vice President and the Cylon lady in her dream/flashback!! That's interesting!!

Speaking of... ever flaky Doctor/Vice President!! He is so unstable and unpredictable, he is like a walking time-bomb!! Personally, I did not think the letter from Madam President was that bad, but the Dr/Vice President sure did not take it well. didn't he?? huh.gif His reaction was totally unexpected. And, what was that thing he sent to the "peace" movement leader??? A nuke bomb??? Was that a real working nuke bomb??!!!

Anyway, some dark clouds rising over the fleet, and from the look of preview, next episode seem to be an exciting one!!
Molecular Alchemist
Agh! Sounds intruiging..I want to start watching it....do you guys suggest just jumping in, or is BSG one of those shows that you need to catch from the beginning or else I'm gonna be more lost than a person on a safari without a compass? huh.gif
Lost Mercenary
It's best to go from the beginnning. Others have tried jumping in on the series and have become genarally confused at points. It's like anime. If you don't see it from the start you won't get into it much.

But BSG both new and old simply rock!

My favourite episode is "Pegasus". I love the cliffhanger that it left us with for god knows how many gruelling months until "ressurection ship - part 1".
Molecular Alchemist
^^thanks for the info! I'll have to see if I can borrow it from my sis's friend....but he guards it with his life. hmm...to the videostore i go laugh.gif
Lost Mercenary
Just got round to watching "Epiphanies" biggrin.gif

IT RULES!!!!
AndroidLust
Just curious...is there any Apollo/Starbuck shippers here? unsure.gif Or maybe another BSG couple?
Lost Mercenary
I aint really a shipper for anyone. And Starbuck/Apollo I don't really like. What with Kara being the fleet wide bike that she is. lol
AndroidLust
I myself am as strong a Kara/Lee shipper as I am a Royai shipper. And that`s pretty strong. biggrin.gif I also kinda like Helo/Boomer...
Tombow
^^ I like having this on/off sexual tension between Apollo and Starbuck. Right now, Apollo sort of wants it, but Starback isn't hot with the idea, I think.
But, they are trusted friends/buddies and I think they care for each other, as well as having huge respects for each others' skills and each others' characters (Starbuck has guts, and Apollo is more ordery,) tho they don't act like they do. happy.gif

Tonight's episode: "Black Market" - Episode #213.

I'm watching it right now. I'll post my thoughts later. smile.gif

Watched the episode....
Wow, that was intense.
Let's see...
Apollo is still hung up on that "floating in the space" experience, Dee is still hung up on Apollo, meantime Apollo sort of tried a relationship with a "professional" women while investigating a murder incident by blackmarket-running gang. (The chubby commander of Pegasus was the one who got murdered.. that was another quick departure!!) and so on.

I need more time to sort out, and I'll post my thoughts later. happy.gif
mei_tenshi
I finally saw ep 14. Instead of the emphasis on military and political matters, we get a sense of the intrafleet economy, which I think is a nice change of pace. And I suppose Apollo is a major enough character to warrant an entire episode on how he's dealing with his near-death (well, nearer to death than usual) experience.

The thing with Dee caught me off guard. I thought something was up when she was standing just outside the room while Lee and Kara we talking in episode 13, but I didn't think her attraction towards him were that apparent in previous episodes. Or maybe I'm just not very observant when it comes to these things. tongue.gif

Did anyone else think it was hilarious that everyone knew about Apollo's, er, indiscretion?
AndroidLust
I`m watching the newest episode right now. Heh, it`s funny how the cylon raider (is that what they are?) that they`re hunting is called "Scar". rolleyes.gif
Tombow
@mei_tenshi - Yeah, so much for Lee's "indiscretion" laugh.gif
And, I think Dee got this idea of there's something between the two while Lee was teaching Dee boxing.
Personally, Dee should stick with that cute assistant of Madam President, IMO. rolleyes.gif

*Waving "hi" to AndroidLust*

Yeah, I'm just about to catch tonight's show (second showing... missed the first showing.)
I saw the preview, and I had the ohmy.gif reaction when Starbuck said "Scar"!! biggrin.gif

Tonight's episode: "Scar" - Episode #215.

I'll be back after watching the show!!
Ok, I'm back!! And, it was another good episode!!
Tho, kind of bitter sweet.

Quick summary:
Last week, we saw Lee in pain, him kind of searching for meaning of his current existence.
This week, we see Starbuck in pain, of leaving that love-boy registance leader Anders behind (to die fighting) on Caprica.
She gets drunk every night, her performance as the leader is sub-par, and crash with hot-shot hot-head upcoming chick pilot Kat, who has her own demon (drug addiction.)
(Then the two get in "kat(cat)-fighting" tongue.gif )
Meantime, Cylon raider ship named Scar stalks and shoots down Coloniel fleet's pilots one by one...
Evenually, Lee orders Kara and Kat to go patrolling, and they got Scar, but it was Kat who shot down Scar.

And my thoughts:
I think, after they got the map to Earth, they should have gone and rescued those registance fighters. I was a bit surprized they didn't, and left those fellow humans behind.
So, yeah, I can see Starbuck's pain.
And, I think fatigue is setting in on everyone, of fighting day-in, day-out.
Interesting interactions between Starbuck and Apollo. I really think Apollo cares about her.
The last scene of Kara naming all the fellow dead pilots, despite her claim previously to Lee that she doesn't remember names of those who died, that was a good scene. Maybe a bit cheesy, but I liked it.
The rivarily between Kara and Kat continues... interesting.
The flashback story telling style was kind of confusing. I didn't think that many going back and forward had added much merits to the storytelling.
But, it was a good human story-telling kind of episode, and I liked it.
Hope Starbuck gets back to her spiffy self!! happy.gif

Next week seems more "happening" oriented episode. Can't wait to see it!! smile.gif
mei_tenshi
I FINALLY saw "Scar"--I'll be a week behind for a while...darn school and the work it entails. dry.gif

Anyway, another awesome episode for character development. Everyone's falling apart--kinda depressing, but oh so real.

QUOTE(Tombow @ Feb 3 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]346519[/snapback]
The last scene of Kara naming all the fellow dead pilots, despite her claim previously to Lee that she doesn't remember names of those who died, that was a good scene. Maybe a bit cheesy, but I liked it.
I agree. It was beautiful. *tear* (Really, I was about to cry at that point.)
Tombow
@mei_tenshi - I know what you mean!! It was touching!! smile.gif
I have also been busy, and I can bearly keeping up with the show at the moment.
I missed the first showing of tonight's episode, and catching it now on second showing, and also recording it in case I get distructed during airing. biggrin.gif

Tonight's episode: "Sacrifice" - Episode #216

Oh, my god, that presiden't assiatant/love-boy of Dee just proposed to Dee, and Dee TURNED it down!!!

Anyway, I'll be back later with my thoughts. smile.gif

Ok, I'm back, and that was another suspenseful episode!!

(Tho, I got distracted to do other stuff in the middle, so I'll watch that part on taped one later.)
Lost Mercenary
THEY KILLED OFF BILLY!!!! THOSE SONSOFABITCHES!!!!!!!
mei_tenshi
Dangit. Right when he started to have some spine, too. sad.gif *FINALLY saw "Sacrifice"*
Tombow
^^ Oh good mei_tenshi, you finally saw the episode..
So now, I can scream this...

WAAAAA!! They killed BILLY!!!!!!!

(I waited till you saw the episode. biggrin.gif )

I'm watching this week's episode right now.
Very good Awsome episode!!

Tonight's episode: "Captain's Hand" - Episode #217.

Wow, so much happening in this epidode.

[spoiler]To start off, we see Lee and Dee in bed!! Woa!!
And, the episode ended with Lee getting promoted as the commander!! Yay!!
And, lots of stuff in between!! biggrin.gif [/spoiler]

Nice space fighting scenes, human drama, political intrique, and heroics!!
Yeah, excellent, and very entertaining episode!! smile.gif
mei_tenshi
Thank you, Tombow! It was much appreciated. happy.gif

I like how the engineers get their time in the limelight (sort of). How often do we see the people behind the scenes? Without them, the battlestars would indeed just be "buckets."

[spoiler]I had a feeling Apollo would take over Pegasus, especially when the last capable commander was Kane (and there's no denying even she was a little psycho). And the gods forbid Tigh would step in--again. ph34r.gif Though of course this opens all new opportunities for grief against Admiral Adama. Nepotism would be a biggie. That can't be good for the upcoming election.

Speaking of the election...that slimey, self-serving muck of a VP! I had hopes that he might turn out semi-decent, but noooo...he had to listen to his quite-possibly-imaginary fantasy woman and a convicted terrorist. Genius.

I'm really glad Apollo and Starbuck were okay. I was afraid they wouldn't be, the way things seemed to be going.[/spoiler]

I was lucky and caught someone on the P2P hub who had "Captain's Hand." happy.gif
Tombow
I'm getting behind with the discussions...
I still got my thoughts on last week's episode, but I'll try to post it later...

For now, tonight's episode is "Downloaded" - Episode #218.

I missed the first showing, so I'm about to watcg the repeat now....
mei_tenshi
Neat-o. I like how this episode showed (yet another!) perspective.

It surprised me that Six had her own fantasy!Gaius. It just goes to show what a...unique...relationship they had. Especially since both of them imagine their fantasy lovers to be filled with such sarcasm. But I guess it's the reflection of their respective guilts for nuking humanity.

The next episodes should be interesting, as the two Cylon "heroes" seem like they're ready to stir some trouble for the Cylons on Caprica. I don't think they'll join the Resistance, per se...not immediately, at least. I think they'll utilize their "hero" status to start somethiing from within.

Poor Sharon...sad.gif
Tombow
I am hopelessly behind with discussions... meantime, tonight is the part 1 of two parts season final..

Tonight's episode, "Lay Down Your Burdens" Part 1 - Episode #218.

As usual, I missed the first showing of the night, and just about to catch the second showing in 10 minutes.
I'll post my thoughts later...
mei_tenshi
Ah, don't worry about it Tombow! There's not much discussion going on, really. happy.gif

It's the season finale already? Time does go by quickly...
Tombow
^^ Thank you mei_tenshi!! happy.gif
Yeah, hard to believe, but next week is the season final.
Maybe after that I can finally catch up and write my thoughts on the episodes for this season.
So far, the most interesting one was last week's Downloaded with Six and Sharon, and I definitely got to make some comments sometime on that one. biggrin.gif

Quick comments on this week's episode...
[spoiler]Oh no, Chief is going EMO!! ohmy.gif
Sort of like, a variation of post traumatic syndrome (of losing Shron when she turned out to be Cylon) I guess. I like that "Prayer aint work"-priest!!

And, hmm, awkward moment between Apollo and Starbuck...
I don't know how it'll turn out, but I'm so glad Starbuck was able to go back to Caprica!! [/spoiler]

Next week is 90 minutes season final!! smile.gif

ETA March 10:
Tonight is 90 minutes season final!!
Tonight's episode, "Lay Down Your Burdens" Part 2 - Episode #219.

As usual, I missed the first showing, and trying to catch the qsecond showing of the night later...
AndroidLust
I just finished watching part two. Wow.
[spoiler] I can`t believe Kara is married! To Sam! There go my dreams of KaraxLee.And Cali! And Tyrol! And all the cylons! I`m so speechless...[/spoiler]
Tombow
Long hietus is over!!

New season of ButtleStar Galactica starts next Friday, Oct. 6th!!

Also, anyone who'd like to catch up, next Monday, Oct. 2, (7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Eastern??)
SciFi channel will have one hour show of quick summary show.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Tombow @ Sep 29 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]453082[/snapback]

Also, anyone who'd like to catch up, next Monday, Oct. 2, they have one hour show of quick summary show.

I think you can see that video now. Just click this link and scroll down to The Story So Far(Promotional Trailer). Click and watch a 44-minute recap of seasons 1-2. biggrin.gif
Tombow
^^ Awsome!! Thanks for the link!! happy.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(Tombow @ Sep 29 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]453090[/snapback]

^^ Awsome!! Thanks for the link!! happy.gif

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

EDIT: That was the correct show. Just wanted to make sure.
mei_tenshi
Be sure to check out the Webisodes if you haven't already! They're a series of 10 short (3 minutes-ish) videos that cover the New Caprica Resistance between the season 2 finale and the season 3 premiere. The last webisode will be up tomorrow (Thursday, Oct. 5) at noon.
Tombow
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Oct 5 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]455196[/snapback]
Be sure to check out the Webisodes if you haven't already! They're a series of 10 short (3 minutes-ish) videos that cover the New Caprica Resistance between the season 2 finale and the season 3 premiere. The last webisode will be up tomorrow (Thursday, Oct. 5) at noon.
OMG!! I got to watch them all!! Thanks bunch for the info and the link!! *hugs!!* happy.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
The first episode was great. biggrin.gif
I really am confused about some of the people. I bought the season one DVD, but not the season 2 DVD. So I don't know what's going on really. I watched that Story So Far clip, but I'm still confused. I'm sure I could probably figure out some of it on wikipedia. tongue.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Oct 7 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]456136[/snapback]
I really am confused about some of the people. I bought the season one DVD, but not the season 2 DVD. So I don't know what's going on really. I watched that Story So Far clip, but I'm still confused. I'm sure I could probably figure out some of it on wikipedia. tongue.gif
You know, I saw season two, and I still had hard time keeping up with the first episode!! biggrin.gif

[spoiler]...Like, that Cylon guy is in amore/obsessed with Starbuck??!!
And, how about that seemingly looked mild natured Cylon Father turned out to be an awful evil!!??[/spoiler]

I'm waiting for the expert (a.k.a. mei_tenshi) to sort it all out for us!! laugh.gif

BTW, almost all the casts looked like they'd gained some weight during the off-season!! tongue.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Oct 7 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]456136[/snapback]
Oh, you should definitely watch season two. Wikipedia and recaps just can't replace the adrenaline you get from watching the episodes.

QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 8 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]456856[/snapback]
I'm waiting for the expert (a.k.a. mei_tenshi) to sort it all out for us!! laugh.gif
Aww, how you flatter me so! I also had trouble recalling past events when I was watching the first part. It's been too long. Others at the party were throwing questions around and trying to scrape up what we remembered, and it doesn't help that the explanations for a lot of what we saw hadn't actually been revealed.

QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 8 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]456856[/snapback]
BTW, almost all the casts looked like they'd gained some weight during the off-season!! tongue.gif
Yeah. laugh.gif They gained weight, grew out their [facial] hair, had a baby, wore less make-up (my gosh, Adama's face was all crater-y!)...
Tombow
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Oct 8 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]457164[/snapback]
They gained weight, grew out their [facial] hair, had a baby, wore less make-up (my gosh, Adama's face was all crater-y!)...
@Mei Mei - Gahaha!! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!! laugh.gif

And, yeah, it was confusing, and I do need to watch it few more times to recall all the stuff from last season, and connect the dots!! tongue.gif
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I just bought the season 2 DVD. biggrin.gif I hate it that they split the season 2 into two DVD's. Just more money. Hopefully I could watch most of it before next episode. tongue.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Oct 10 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]457950[/snapback]
I just bought the season 2 DVD. biggrin.gif I hate it that they split the season 2 into two DVD's. Just more money. Hopefully I could watch most of it before next episode. tongue.gif
Ohh, that's nice!! Even though I wacthed season two, there are some stuff I can't remember well now. huh.gif
Anyway, I think this week and the next week are two parts episodes, and the next week one is supposed to be awsome... so I heard from my friend. tongue.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Vash_the_Gunslinger @ Oct 10 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]457950[/snapback]
No worries--there's only, what, 20 episodes? You'll be able to finish in a day. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 11 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]458684[/snapback]
Ohh, that's nice!! Even though I wacthed season two, there are some stuff I can't remember well now. huh.gif
We have Vash here to help refresh our memories. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Tombow)
Anyway, I think this week and the next week are two parts episodes, and the next week one is supposed to be awsome... so I haerd from my friend. tongue.gif
Squee!

I've finally watched the second episode--this might be a long-ish post, so I'll edit in the rest of it. You know, just in case.
Tombow
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Oct 12 2006, 02:36 AM) [snapback]458701[/snapback]
I've finally watched the second episode--this might be a long-ish post, so I'll edit in the rest of it. You know, just in case.
@Mei Mei - Or, new post. tongue.gif
Yes, yes, long post!! I've been waiting to hear your opinion of the episode!!
I'm still in sort of shell shock, so your post on the episode will help me greatly!! happy.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Tombow)
@Mei Mei - Or, new post. tongue.gif
Oh, all right. happy.gif

Okay, so I already figured that it'd be an amazing premiere, and the second episode did not disappoint.

But before that, I watched the first episode again and I must say, the opening sequence (after the opening theme, when they actually get into the episode, though OP was very well done as well) was amazing. I remember that the first time I saw it, I was a disoriented by the close-up views so I couldn't really figure out what was going on, but then each scene in turn expanded to show the people whose perspectives we'll be looking through during the episodes. The music helped to build a sense of urgency, especially since the shots seem to be taken in mid-action, so on the whole it felt like we were jumping into a story that had already started--which it has. Very nicely done. *claps*

Now, for the spoiler-tag-worthy commentary:
I found the first episode oddly humorous. Aside from the not-so-subtle changes in the characters' appearances (heh), several scenes made me lol even on the second viewing:

- When the Cylons were having the meeting on what to do about the insurgents, the Brother Cavil Cylon was simply hilarious. (Best line: "Let's, ah, let's execute Baltar." XD Baltar's reaction wasn't too shabby, either.) It's so ironic that despite being the only priest in the group, he's the least pious of them all--every time he said God, he'd use those finger quotations: "God". Plus, he seems to have very few qualms about sacrificing humans for the "greater good" compared to the rest, who're at least scowling when they talk about it. Not to mention that bit of somethin'-somethin' with Ellen.

- Apollo, speaking with the Admiral, and later with Dee. Need I say more? XD Well, maybe. As disappointed as we (for it can't be just me) are that Apollo's wearing a fat suit, I guess it must be done. I mean, how else can his character be developed? We already know what an angsty fellow he is, but with a war, he has something to focus his energy. And as Dee said, he's a soldier. So now we get to see him at the other extreme. At least it appears that he's starting to wake up, what with the Admiral sending Sharon as the liaison between the Galactica and the Resistance. (Did you notice that little pause he took when he admitted that he'd gotten "...soft"? Ah, Apollo, admitting it is the first step.) I guess sending him off with the Pegasus to find Earth would serve as his new goal, but I hope he doesn't go--as a major character up to now, I'd hate to see him go off to do his own thing, when it seems that the story has its center on what's going on on New Caprica.

- Jammer, talking to Chief Tyrol after Cally was taken. My gosh. I'm surprised his digestive system didn't do something unseemly for TV--Tyrol was pissed! (Pun not intended...well, it wasn't when I was first thought of it, but after I noticed it, it really is a damn good pun, isn't it? biggrin.gif )

- Let's jump to the preview of next week's episode. On the file that I got, they didn't cut out the commercial completely, so I got a tiny bit of the Quizno's one, where the voice says, "Mmm, toasty!" Coincidence? I think not!

I was surprised by how much of the story progressed in just two episodes: we got the setup of the conditions on New Caprica, we got a suicide bombing, we got the Cylon retaliation, we got Galactica taking action, we got Laura getting killed...

Now, as unpredictable as BSG may be, this last just cannot be. She's too important a person--even the Cylons think so. I would say that Tom takes a bullet for her and dies, or he takes a bullet for her and survives, or they run off together in a nice green meadow. Okay, maybe not in a nice green meadow (they're probably in short supply on New Caprica), but you get the drift. Laura can't die. Actually, if Tom lives, I see some potential in a LauraxTom pairing. I mean, they've gotten all chummy...and Adama's still on his ship.

I feel sorry for Gaeta. If the Chief only knew who was flipping the doggy bowl!

Ah, Starbuck, don't be taken in by that angelic face! What an underhanded way to get to her, bringing in a child...albeit hers...Irk. At first I thought the Cylons only wanted Starbuck to give birth to a hybrid, but since they already have one, what more do they want of her? I guess it could be their moral beliefs kicking in and wanting Starbuck to actually be a mother...but I wonder. Unless Kacey isn't really her child? That's another possibility. In the meantime, I feel bad for Anders. Starbuck probably went with the Cylons in exchange for the medication he needed while he was sick at the end of Season 2.

Oh dear. Baltar's sub-conscious fantasy woman has resurfaced. Must be the guilt of signing the death warrants of 200+ people, or maybe the fact that the real woman/Cylon was killed because if him had something to do with it. (Notice that the fantasy woman hasn't appeared since Baltar had the generally fully-clothed Number Six with him.)
That's all for now. More later if I can think of anything else to add. smile.gif

Oh! I can't believe I almost forgot: If you haven't heard already, there's a prequel series called Caprica in the process of being potentially made. Maybe. (I think it's still just an idea that's being thrown around.) I happened to come upon mention of it on the BSG Wikipedia page, which led me to the Caprica page, which then made me really surprised and excited and squealtacularly jumpy for a good two minutes or so. I think it was first mentioned in this interview with David Eick, executive producer. If anyone has any updated information on this project, please share!

-----------------------
So after reading that interview...Laura stands a good chance of dying. I don't remember the details of the prophecy, but I think Laura (or the leader of the humans) was supposed to die...but she didn't, because her cancer was taken care of...but now...yikes. I hope it's not her. It's too soon, too soon for characters we haven't seen in so long to die! sad.gif
Tombow
@Mei Mei - Thanks for posting your thoughts!!
Wow, so much to ponder and reply to!!
I think I'll take a bit more time to collect my thoughts so that my post will be kind of conprehensible.. I'm still being overwhelmed by the last episode. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.