Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Gate Of Shambala
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
Winkle
Author's Note:
First of all, since this is a direct follow up to the movie, there will obviously be spoilers to the film. Second, you do need to at least know the summary of the movie to understand what's going on. So in short, I don't recommend you read this unless you've seen the movie or read a detailed summary with spoilers on the movie.

Second, I wrote this because, while the movie was pretty good, I was sorely disappointed by the ending (yes I know some of you loved it but that's not the point). Anyway, I didn't like the way Studio Bones treated some of my favourite characters, such as Winry, and Roy and Riza's relationship really didn't get much attention despite what Bones said. So basically I'm writing this to satisfy myself and to give myself some closure. I hope it will do the same for those who share my disappointing in the movie as well. (There's a nice, big juicy fat hint that this fic will have plenty of Edwin moments and some Roy and Riza relationship)

Thirdly, as per my personal rule of thumb, feedback whether positive or negative is always welcomed... you can critize all you want as long as it's constructive. I like to take everything in stride and if you feel like I messed up big somewhere, then lemme have it.

Fourth, I don't know exactly how long this whole thing will be, probably a bit long. I'll try to keep updating consistently but I only have free time to do this sort of stuff now because school's out for the winter break. I'm usually quite busy during school but we'll see.

Fifth, I'm also posting this on fanfiction.net, so if you find that its easier to read there for whatever reason, go nuts.

Sixth, enjoy it!

Summary:
Four years have passed since the Elrics made the faithful decision to remain in The Other World. But their mission of retrieving the stolen atomic bomb only brought the wrath of the Thule Society down on them. In a desperate bid to escape, they took up an offer from a British professor to send the Elrics home and back to safety. But the journey only threw them into harm's way. Instead of returning home, they were thrown into the 1940's during the height of the Second World War. Now Edward and Alphonse Elric must keep one step ahead of the Nazis who are seeking revenge, Edward's automail technology and something more.

Winry Rockbell resides alone now in Resembool with her dog Den, having long accepted the Elric's decision and no longer worries about them. But her peaceful life, and the safety of her entire world that the Elrics had sacrificed so much to ensure would be shattered when a mysterious stranger shows up. The world of the alchemists will never be the same.

And finally... onto the main course!

CHAPTER 1: THE GREAT GLOBAL CONFLICT

Edward Elric stood on looking at the picturesque grassy field before him. The sun was out, with only a few fluffy white clouds dotting the sky. A gentle breeze rustled the very green grass beneath both his feet, tickling them. His blonde hair waved in front of his eyes as a result of the moving air, but the scene was so delightful that it didn’t bother him. There really wasn’t much more for Edward to do but smile.

A noise from the distance snapped him back to attention. A few dozen yards away, he could see Den running full speed at him carrying a small tree branch in his mouth. He grinned some more at the realization that either Den was very fast despite the dog’s old age or he couldn’t throw things as far without his automail arm.

The hound ran up to the alchemist as Edward retrieved the stick from Den’s mouth. The dog nudged at him playfully while Edward patted him, the mutt was obviously telling him to throw the stick again.

“Easy Den, you’re going to wear my arm out if you keep this up.” But old Den didn’t seem to care. Edward grinned and took a step back to wind up his arm for another toss. Before he could send the wooden stick soaring through the air again, a familiar voice interrupted him from behind.

“Ed! Stop fooling around! Lunch is ready… we’re having spaghetti!” Someone shouted, Ed paused and frowned slightly. Always with the spaghetti... wish we could try something new. Ed kept the thought to himself as he turned to the direction of the voice. But any frustration he may have experience quickly melted away as his eyes focused on a beautiful girl waving at him with a huge smile from the distance. Her incredible smile was infectious as another grin broke out across Ed’s face.

“Okay.” Ed acknowledged as he gestured for Den to follow him and he started walking back towards the residence. “We’re coming Winry.”

----------

Somewhere in Northern France – July, 1943

Alphonse Elric sat quietly in the dark. It was hard to see the rest of the room, but the small glitter of moonlight filtering through the small slits in between the wooden planks managed to provide enough illumination for him to make out the half a dozen people slumbering on the dirt floor. They were all snoring somewhat heavily, and the rumbling just made Al a little drowsier then usual but a mumbling off to the side caught his attention. He moved himself closer to the source until the faint voice became more distinct and he could make out what was being said.

“Winry… Winry…” Al sighed to himself when he saw the silhouette of his brother sleeping away in the corner. Oh brother, he’s dreaming about her… again. Al tucked the small blanket covering his brother in a little tighter as it had started to slip off before he moved back to his lookout position.

Al stared back out of the tiny hole in between the wooden planks. He could make out some farmland outside surrounded by a forest. Even though it was summer, the night air was cool and Al tightened his own blanket to keep the chill out. He looked at the landscape in front of him, saw no one and sat back down in a more comfortable position.

In all honestly, Al wasn’t even sure where they were. Somewhere in northern France was what one of the other people told them. Far too much has happened in the last couple of years. The Elrics had spent the first three years in this world tracking the atom bomb that was stolen from their world when the Thule Society invaded. They were successful; they stole the bomb back and hid it in a location where hopefully it will never be found again.

The problem was; they brought even more attention to themselves as a result. They fled Germany and returned to England to escape the Thule, but it wasn’t enough. Finally, Ed and Al made contact with a British professor who was studying their world since the Thule invasion. He offered to attempt to open a new gate so the brothers could return to their home. Since the Thule was hot on their heels, they decided to give it a try. As the old saying goes, they were tossed from the frying pan and into the fire.

Instead of returning to their world, they instead wound up back in Germany… except that it was 1942 and they were caught in the middle of the Second World War. The Elrics had developed quite a reputation among the Thule, many of whom are now ranking members of the Nazi regime. And so, the Nazis were back on the Elric’s heels in no time, wanting revenge for what they did 20 years earlier and getting their hands on Ed’s automail. Automail didn’t exist in this world, even though it was so common in theirs. It’s considered a piece of highly advanced bio-technology and the Nazis would love to obtain it. And thus, the Elrics had spent the last year on the run, fleeing and hiding from their pursuers hoping to find a way off continental Europe. Right now, they’re resting at a safe house that they had luckily run across along with a few other refugees escaping Nazi persecution.

Al sighed again. He didn’t like thinking about their situation, and even though his brother had kept their spirits up, the older Elric was beginning to wear out. Al shook his head, he would slap himself but his face was already red and sore from doing that all night long to keep himself awake. He took a glance at Ed’s State Alchemist watch and noticed that it was nearing four in the morning and nearing the end of his shift. Thank goodness, I can catch a few hours of sleep soon. Al’s relief however, was interrupted by the growling of machines in the distance. He immediately snapped back up to peer out the small view hole. He couldn’t see anything beyond what he saw before. He waited another minute and noticed a number of headlights approaching. Oh crap! He didn’t need to see anymore, his instincts already told him what was coming.

Al quickly turned and went to his brother who was by now, mumbling something about spaghetti and how awful it tasted. Why doesn’t he ever dream about her cooking something else? Al allowed himself a chuckle before he started to shake his brother awake.

“Win… wah what?” Ed muttered sheepishly as he started to come back to reality.

“Brother, I think we’re in trouble.” Al whispered and pointed to the view hole. Ed crawled over to the small hole and peered outside. It was difficult to see, but he was able to make out several trucks offloading a number of soldiers and even an armoured carrier armed with a machine gun nearby. Damn, how did they get caught up so fast? But this wasn’t the time to panic. Al had already started waking up the others as Ed jogged his brain to come up with a plan.

“How is it?” He heard Al whisper from the other side of the room.

“Not good, not good at all. I count 20… maybe 30 of them. And they’ve got an armoured carrier with them.” Ed reported, and turned back in time to watch a squad of soldiers approach the house.

“We have to get out! We have to make a run for it!” One of the others suggested, fear clearly in his voice.

“We’ll never make it.” Ed quickly shot the idea down. The sound of army boots tromping on the wooden floor of the house could be heard, pounding on the basement roof. The house was abandoned long ago, and a hidden cellar was often used by refugees or freedom fighters as a temporary haven. “Everyone just be quiet, hopefully they’ll just pass over and move on.” Ed said, motioning for everyone to be silent. Ed and Al exchanged looks, knowing that there wasn’t much more they can do but wait.

Several minutes passed by, as the group intensely followed the footsteps that rang from upstairs. Ed took another peek outside, and noticed that the soldiers had surrounded the building. The footsteps from upstairs suddenly stopped, and someone speaking German could be heard very clearly.

“The house is secured. It’s completely empty; I don’t think they’re here sir.” Although Ed and Al’s German weren’t great, they could just make out what was being said.

“Very well, deploy the other two squads to search the surrounding area. We received reports that the Elrics were seen passing through here not long ago. See if we can dig up any leads.” Another voice replied, most likely belonging to the commanding officer. Good, if we wait patiently they won’t find us. Ed thought to himself. He looked at Al again, who was probably thinking the same thing.

“Just keep an eye out, they could be anywhere. Remember, we want them both alive if possible, especially the older, short one.” Al’s eyes flared up at hearing those words. Oh crap! Brother! He thought as he quickly rushed towards the older Elric but he was too slow. Edward Elric’s face went from normal to blood red in the blink of an eye.

“WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING SHORT YOU STUPID IDIOTS!” Ed screamed at the top of his lungs while flailing his arms wildly in the air. Before he could continue his angry tirade Al had reached him and tackled his brother to the ground and cupped his hand over his mouth.

“Quiet!” Al ordered, glaring at his brother. Edward however was still throwing a fit and pushed his sibling off of him.

“They called me short! Short! What the hell is that! I’m taller then you!” Edward yelled again.

“Damnit brother! This isn’t the place or time!” Al replied, exasperated.

“BUT THEY CALLED ME SHORT!” Ed was totally losing it, again waving his arms in shear anger.

“GROW UP BROTHER.” Al replied, showing some cracks in his usual calm demeanour.

“Grow up? Are you saying I'm small Al?”

“Ahem.” Both Elrics suddenly snapped towards the source of the cough, and noticed a German Wehrmacht officer standing by the door with a rather confused look on his face. Ed and Al then looked around and noticed that about ten German soldiers had somehow made their way into the room, surrounded the brothers and their fellow refugees with their Mauser rifles trained on all of them.

“Since when did you guys get so good at sneaking up on people?” Was all Ed could muster, along with a bemused look. Al just slapped his forehead in frustration.

“By the orders of the Fuhrer, Edward and Alphonse Elric, you are hereby placed under arrest by the Third Reich. Surrender yourselves or we will shoot.” The officer recited monotonously. Al gave Ed a stupid brother look as Ed frowned in response. But both knew that they had no other choice and raised their hands up in defeat. Ed had to grit his teeth in annoyance but allowed himself to mutter a curse.

“Damn…”

To Be Continued...
Ladymercury
I like it... I originally thought this was a thread about a real sequel to the movie XD then it was a fanfic, and I was like " oh! lol " Sorry I haven't contributed a critique but I'm rushing about today
Haldir of Lorien
Hmm,I like it,Very descriptive.I hope you Update soon.I look forward to you next Chapter. biggrin.gif
Winkle
CHAPTER 2: THE EMPTY HOME

Resembool – May, 1927

“Well, I see the problem here. It’s actually quite minor.” Winry Rockbell carefully inspected the automail hand lying on the table before her. The mechanical hand was attached to the arm of a middle-aged woman, probably in her thirties who looked very relieved.

“Thank goodness. My mechanic told me one of the parts had broken down and he would have to charge me a hefty price for the repairs.” The woman said. Winry looked back up to face her and gave her a broad smile.

“It’s not broken; some of the components in the part are a bit loose and worn but it’s not something I can’t fix with a screw-driver and some oil.” Winry replied cheerfully. She brushed some of her hair aside, picked up one of the many tools laid out on the table and started to work while the woman watched in amazement.

“I’m glad I decided to come all the way here. They weren’t wrong when they said you’re the best automail mechanic in all of Amestris.” Winry let out a cute giggle and blushed.

“Haha, all this praise is going to get to my head one of these days.” Winry finished tightening a screw, and squeezed some oil onto the component and sat back up to take a breath. “Try it out, see how it feels now.” The woman raised her hand, and started flexing and moving it around. Her expression told Winry that she had done a good job.

“Wow! That’s a big difference. It feels wonderful; it’s so much more responsive then before.” Both women shared smiles again. The two exchanged a few more words before the woman paid the mechanic and politely bid farewell and left the Rockbell residence. Winry watched her latest customer depart and let out a sigh. The house was empty again.

“I suppose I should clean this up.” She said to herself, looking at the pile of tools sewn haphazardly across the table. As if reading her mind, Den walked in from the other room and gave her a nudge with his noise. Winry smiled down at him.

“I know I know, soon as I get this cleaned up we’ll have lunch.” Winry set to work, and caught sight of the board in the corner of the room. Pinned across it were a number of photos of Edward and Alphonse Elric and the various people they’ve met in their travels, plus some childhood photos of the three. She glazed at it sadly for a moment before returning to focus on her task. They’re gone. It’s just me and Den now that granny passed away. Winry brushed the thought aside. I better hurry up before Den starts biting my arm off. She didn’t worry about the Elrics anymore, but it certainly wasn’t easy. In fact it was very hard on her, but after all these years she’s convinced that she’s accepted their decision and had moved on. I won’t wait for you anymore Ed.

----------

“This is such a lovely and peaceful village.” The man said to himself as he walked along the dirt path towards the house in the distance. His brown fedora hat shielded his eyes from the bright rays beaming from the sun, and his matching brown trench-coat kept the spring winds out. He eyed the building he was heading towards more sharply as he got closer. I do believe that is the place, it looks like I’m finally here.

“So my cooking has gotten better huh?” Winry smiled cheerfully at Den who barked happily in response. She polished off the last scrap of food on her plate before putting it in the sink. Now what was she going to do? There weren’t any customers right now and she didn’t feel like going back to her research just yet. She looked at the board of photos one more time. Maybe… I should put that away now. She walked towards the photos slowly and grinned a bit at the memories they brought up. A breeze coming in from the open front door played with her hair. Not yet… no… not yet.

“Ahem… excuse me?” Winry jolted towards the source of the voice, and turned to face the open door. Standing in the frame was a fairly tall man wearing a brown hat that she didn’t recognize, and donning a large brown coat. The man took off his hat, revealing his black hair and red eyes. He looked back at the woman standing on the other side of the room, clad in a white dress shirt with a black skirt that went down to almost her ankles. He looked a bit startled at her appearance.

“Um… yes can I help you?” Winry replied gently. The man stared at her face with his mouth half open for a second before snapping out of his trance.

“Oh, pardon me.” He said, bowing politely. “I’m looking for Winry Rockbell.” She noticed that he was blushing a little.

“That would be me.” She smiled at him.

“I’m sorry to bother you Ms. Rockbell…” He started, but she cut him off almost immediately.

“Please, call me Winry.” She said, and the man relaxed a little. “And you are?”

“Ah… my apologies, how terribly rude of me. My name is Gabriel Mackenzie. I’m an investor from Central.”

“Oh, from Central? She looked a tad surprised; she’s never had an investor visit her before. She looked at him quietly and motioned him to take a seat at the table. “Um… please sit Mr. Mackenzie.”

“You can just call me Gabriel, or Gabe whichever you prefer.” He corrected her as he sat down. Winry brought over a pot of tea and some cups from the kitchen counter.

“Tea?” He nodded, and she poured each of them a cup. “What can I do for you Gabriel?”

“Ah well you see, I’ve been seeking some investment opportunities in the last few months and I’m actually interested in investing in your automail business.” He replied, really catching her off guard.

“Automail… business?”

“You’re quite well-known in the industry Winry, very well known in fact.” Gabriel started his pitch. “I figured; we can open an automail shop in Central. A large one, with your talents and expertise and my money and management skills it could be a highly profitable venture.” Gabriel sounded quite excited, so much so that Winry thought she saw sparkles in his eyes. “The money we could make... and we can open up multiple franchises all over the country… Rockbell Automail will be a household name!”

“Um…” Winry stared at Gabriel somewhat dumbfounded and he realized that maybe he went a bit overboard with his presentation. She looked down to Den sitting on the floor beside her and then back at her feet. “I’m flattered… but I don’t think I can go to Central and leave Resembool… this is my home.” She said, almost in a whisper. Have I really let them go? Gabriel looked at Winry who kept her head down, and then caught something out of the corner of his eye.

“You have a lot of nice pictures there.” Winry brought her head back up and followed Gabriel’s gaze to the picture board. “Friends of yours?” He asked, indicating the ones with the Elrics. Winry remained silent as a sombre veil fell across her face.

“Yes… they were. They’re gone now.” Gabriel turned back and saw her sad eyes which where still fixed on the pictures. “They’re gone forever.” If only she knew… Gabriel thought to himself as the room fell into silence.

“I’m… sorry if I upset you.” Gabriel started, breaking the quiet. He pushed his chair back and stood up, which regained Winry’s attention.

“Oh… no, it’s okay.” She said, sounding marginally more upbeat now.

“Anyway, I understand you not wanting to leave Resembool.” Gabriel gathered his fedora and plopped it back on his head. “It is a very beautiful place.” He started towards the door and Winry stood up to follow him. “I’m sorry to have taken your time Ms. Rockbell.” She was startled by his sudden return to formality.

“It was no trouble at all.” Gabriel opened the door and took a step out, adjusting his hat to shield his eyes from the sunlight once more. He turned back to her and gave her a polite bow.

“Thank you for the tea Ms. Rockbell.” Before she could reply, the man had already turned and started down the steps to the dirt path. She watched him as he walked, rather hurriedly down the road towards the village. She couldn’t shake the feeling though that something was odd about him. Who… is he? She continued watching him walk away but he never once turned back. Who? Den’s cold and wet noise nudging at her hand snapped her out of her train of thought. She looked down at her faithful friend, gave him a reassuring smile that she was alright and returned back inside her home.

----------

Damn, damn, damn! Gabriel angrily cursed himself as he continued his brisk hike towards the Resembool train station. That was smooth Gabe, real smooth. What the hell was that? He was frustrated that all his preparation had neatly been washed down the drain, but most of all he was furious at how he handled himself. She looked just like her… her hair, eyes, even her smile. Damnit! Gabriel stopped briefly and allowed himself to catch a breath. How could I let my sentimentality get the better of me like that? Then he slapped his forehead, frowned and sighed as he tried to calm down.

“Nothing I can do now. At least I know she’s here, I better get back; I’ve got work to do.” He resumed his journey to the train station. As he walked through the core of Resembool he noticed all the people lingering around the village proper. It truly is a peaceful place. I wish… we could’ve been here instead. Gabriel quickly stopped himself; that wasn’t a place he wanted to go down again. He caught sight of the station and was relieved that the train to Central had not yet departed. As he accelerated his pace, his sharp eyes caught hold of something that didn’t belong there.

“Huh?” He didn’t dare turn his head towards the target of his suspicion, nor did he have to for years of training had honed his observational skills. Those guys… he saw several figures in the small bustling crowd who looked normal enough but his instincts told him otherwise. They’ve gone to a lot of trouble to blend in. He noticed that no one was paying them any heed. Suddenly he froze in his tracks. Wait… no it can’t be! His eyes widened as the realization dawned on him.

“They’re here already?”

To Be Continued...

Automne
Well, it's not bad. Very well written, I got to say but...

QUOTE(Winkle Posted Dec 23 2005 @ 01:57 PM)
Finally, Ed and Al made contact with a British professor who was studying their world since the Thule invasion. He offered to attempt to open a new gate so the brothers could return to their home. Since the Thule was hot on their heels, they decided to give it a try. As the old saying goes, they were tossed from the frying pan and into the fire.

A short description for a very important thing, which means Ed and Al's actual situation is very confusing or just doesn't make sense...yet. How did this British Professor know about their world? How did he create the Gate since this one has been destroyed? Really, if I didn't read the summary, I wouldn't have believed it was the sequel of the movie.

QUOTE(Winkle Posted Dec 23 2005 @ 01:57 PM)
The problem was; they brought even more attention to themselves as a result...Description...

Again, not enough description. Since Ed and Al...crossed the Gate, they ended up in Germany 20 years later, okay, but I would have believed the Thule Society would have forgotten about them or at least, Ed and Al could have been more careful. They certainly have done something to bring the attention of Thule society but no...And it looks like they have the entire german army after them.

Ah yes, one last thing. I was surprised at Ed's reaction when one of the soldiers called him short. Yes, he would have certainly been pissed but in a situation like this, I think he would have gained enough maturity to keep his calm. Even if you certainly did this for humor, you could have put it to another moment.

Hum, and I sense a bit of OOCness coming from Winry but I'll see...
Well, overall, this is a good fic but you left out some important things you maybe will explain later but for the moment, it's a bit confusing.

PS: one more not very important thing, Den is a female. happy.gif
Winkle
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Dec 25 2005, 06:56 PM) [snapback]333777[/snapback]

A short description for a very important thing, which means Ed and Al's actual situation is very confusing or just doesn't make sense...yet. How did this British Professor know about their world? How did he create the Gate since this one has been destroyed? Really, if I didn't read the summary, I wouldn't have believed it was the sequel of the movie.

Actually that is a very good nitpick and point that you brought up. The whole gate thing, I was a little worried about that from the start. The sub that I had when I watched the film more or less indicated that the gate was closed as opposed to being destroyed. So I went with that but I did thought about waiting for the official DVD with the official sub (but then I said screw it since I'm so impatient, that and I might not have time to work on this by then). Yea I know, lame excuse but that's the truth.

And yea, I was planning on explaining it in more detail later on but I felt that I should've put some sort of explanation in earlier so people don't get confused... but maybe its just doing the exact opposite of that?

Again, not enough description. Since Ed and Al...crossed the Gate, they ended up in Germany 20 years later, okay, but I would have believed the Thule Society would have forgotten about them or at least, Ed and Al could have been more careful. They certainly have done something to bring the attention of Thule society but no...And it looks like they have the entire german army after them.

Ah yes, one last thing. I was surprised at Ed's reaction when one of the soldiers called him short. Yes, he would have certainly been pissed but in a situation like this, I think he would have gained enough maturity to keep his calm. Even if you certainly did this for humor, you could have put it to another moment.

That is also a good point. An earlier draft of the first chapter had a different way of them being caught but I decided to go with the more light-hearted approach. Yes, I do agree (and realize) that I am reaching a bit there but I didn't want to start off on such a dark note.

Hum, and I sense a bit of OOCness coming from Winry but I'll see...

Hrm... yea I've also been having a bit of a hard time writing Winry. Her character in the manga and in the anime I find differs a bit. Personally I prefer the manga Winry but at the same time I figured that most FMA fans would be more familiar with the anime Winry. So I think I'm falling into the pit-trap of trying to write both of them into the same person. But thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will have to keep an eye on it.

Well, overall, this is a good fic but you left out some important things you maybe will explain later but for the moment, it's a bit confusing.

I like stories that starts off by throwing like 20 questions at the reader and then have it gradually answer each (or most) of them over the course of it. But then I may have gone overboard on that... I'll go back, and take a look at the backstory stuff you mentioned and see if I can clear any of it up without spoiling the rest of my fic.

PS: one more not very important thing, Den is a female. happy.gif

LOL. Oops... I will definitely fix that.

I appreciate the feedback though, you picked up on a few of the things I was worried about and brought some new stuff to my attention so that is really great. I hope my explanations are satisfactory for now. Oh and thanks for taking the time to read it laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.