Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon Quest VIII
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Game
Carnal Malefactor
I just got this game, and it's just such a surge of nostalgia for me. Totally reminds me of the 16-bit RPGs I played as a wee lad. Of course, the visuals are vastly upgraded, but the throwback gameplay and the Toriyama character designs definitely take me back to Lunar, Shining Force and Chrono Trigger. Awesome game thus far!
Smoke Alchemist
I look forward to playing this game as well! Awesome!
Demonhunter399
ive seen the ads for it and its cool, but it seems it rips of DBZ. or did Dragon Quest come before DBZ, then that would mean that DBZ is a rip off of DragonQuest.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Demonhunter399 @ Dec 22 2005, 09:40 PM) [snapback]332658[/snapback]

ive seen the ads for it and its cool, but it seems it rips of DBZ. or did Dragon Quest come before DBZ, then that would mean that DBZ is a rip off of DragonQuest.

They have the same character designer. And yes, Dragon Quest came first.
foolmetal alchemist
QUOTE(Demonhunter399 @ Dec 22 2005, 09:40 PM) [snapback]332658[/snapback]

How is it a rip off anything if it's drawn by the same artist? You can't copy off yourself....

I've seen a few commercials of this game. I've gotten pretty interested...maybe I'll rent it sometime.
Winkle
Yea, I picked up DQ8 and FMA2 the other day. I'm almost done working my way through FMA2 and then I plan to huddle down and play DQ8 for the rest of my Christmas Break.
Carnal Malefactor
Why does everyone in this game have a British accent? Damnedest thing...
edsgirl
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Dec 23 2005, 07:32 PM) [snapback]333057[/snapback]

So out of 10, what would you rate this game? Honestly! Something I should buy or it's not the best, but it's rent worthy? You know I'm a serious gamer tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Dec 23 2005, 07:44 PM) [snapback]333066[/snapback]

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Dec 23 2005, 07:32 PM) [snapback]333057[/snapback]

So out of 10, what would you rate this game? Honestly! Something I should buy or it's not the best, but it's rent worthy? You know I'm a serious gamer tongue.gif

That depends how nostalgic you are, I suppose. It's a lot of fun, and the graphics & sound are phenomenal, but the plot is very simple by today's RPG standards. So if you've been around long enough to appreciate this type of throwback RPG, it's definitely a solid 9. But all these kids who are spoiled by the FFXs of the world might not take to it as much.
Heartless_Soldier
I really am enjoying DQ8. the graphics are great and it has an awsome story line. However the thing I like the most is that the game is easy to follow. You really can't get lost in the game.
Blade Alchemist
This game has been really good. The old school feeling of a DQ is great. I enjoy it more than the others because the updated graphics make it even better to travel and train than it used to be.
edsgirl
I finally started playing this game seriously, and I'm so in love. I'm almost at a loss of words for how freaking awesome this game turned out to be. Although, Dhoulmagus is handing my ass to me repeatedly. Any tips?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Mar 6 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]359779[/snapback]

I finally started playing this game seriously, and I'm so in love. I'm almost at a loss of words for how freaking awesome this game turned out to be. Although, Dhoulmagus is handing my ass to me repeatedly. Any tips?

Just keep leveling up. Once Angelo gets to level 31 or 32 he learns Multiheal. After that, both fights are a breeze.

Also it's important to trick out your monster team, and make sure you have Talos [becomes available on Neos island after you add Goldman] in there, because he can do major damage.
edsgirl
Got it! I'm only at level 25 with Angelo, but I already have Talos. I probably do need to upgrade my monster team.
Blade Alchemist
For the Dhoulmagus fight you can win the first part then lose the second so that when you go back to fight him you'll be fully healed and can start fighting him in his second form.

As for money and anything yoor scared about losing just put it in the bank.
Asakura Yoh
I beat the final boss and won't spoil it even though some of you like spoilers tongue.gif

The bonus dungeion i only beat it once dry.gif
Smoke Alchemist
I still needs to play this...when to find the money and time. >.<
Winkle
It took me nearly 150 hours of in-game playtime but I beat DQVIII completely (completed every single goal there is). The monster arena thing was great, although I didn't start doing that till very late in the game, so the only levels that gave me problems was Rank S. And it only took me 2 tries to beat Morrie.

And the Lord of the Dragovians is one tough cookie, I've beaten all his forms (plus his final form where you have to beat his previous 6 forms in a row to fight the 7th). But it was all worth it though, I got the complete Dragovian set for the Hero (which looks completely kickass) and all my characters will around the low level 60's so the 2nd time I fought Rapthorne, I managed to take him down in 2 hits and saw the happy version of the ending.

Great game overall, I definitely got a lot of milage out of it.
major_ed_pride
Does anybody know how to beat the last boss dude Rapthorn? T.T I can't seem to beat him T.T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.