Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 40 - The Scar
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
Nepharski
"Someone once told me that the scars on your body will eventually fade away. But there are some wounds...that can never heal."

Martel has discovered the treasonous Kimblee, and Scar and Edward meet for the first time in a long time. The military marches full-force to suppress a "Rebellion" near the site of old blood, while a long-lost friend is reveared and praised, but for what? The Homunculi are gathering, with mutterings of the seventh Homunculus...Pride.[/Overlydramatic]

We're just cranking up the heat down here!

Discuss your thoughts and feelings regarding the upcoming 40th episode of the FMA saga, airing tomorrow (Saturday).

So be there, or be...elsewhere.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
already? blink.gif ah dosn't matter ^^

ahhhhhh i can't wait till tomorrow!! even though i say that every saturday biggrin.gif since the last one was a cliffe i'm even more exited about the next!
Nepharski
QUOTE(ed @ Dec 16 2005, 06:33 PM) [snapback]330336[/snapback]

already? blink.gif ah dosn't matter ^^

ahhhhhh i can't wait till tomorrow!! even though i say that every saturday biggrin.gif since the last one was a cliffe i'm even more exited about the next!

Think that's bad? FMA goes on a 2 Saturday hiatus after this episode. Now, that's actually highly practical, as who would watch on Christmas Eve and New Years? But if they have another cliff-clothes-hanger...ouch!
Wyrd_Raven
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Dec 16 2005, 09:40 PM) [snapback]330339[/snapback]

Think that's bad? FMA goes on a 2 Saturday hiatus after this episode. Now, that's actually highly practical, as who would watch on Christmas Eve and New Years? But if they have another cliff-clothes-hanger...ouch!

Which would make its new airing night a higly rated thing when it returns wink.gif
FullMetalAlchemist01FAN
yay! i cant wait for 2morrow!...i really need to see this episode, because i heard its suppose to explain why Rose is the "Holy Mother"...i hope thats not a spoiler, if it is im soo sorry ppl! i forgot how to do that spoiler thingy.
theothersin
27 hours and twenty-three minutes until the next FMA episode. Can't wait to find out what's gunna happen! My guess: Trouble will brew and heads will roll! Or start to roll, or something....-crickets chirp- I'll stop now.
Tombow
@Nepharski - Great job hosting the thread for episode 40!
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Dec 16 2005, 08:40 PM) [snapback]330339[/snapback]

...FMA goes on a 2 Saturday hiatus after this episode. Now, that's actually highly practical, as who would watch on Christmas Eve and New Years? But if they have another cliff-clothes-hanger...ouch!

Ooops, that's right!! Thanks for the reminder!!
I'm taping tomorrow's show to keep my Fma fix for these two weeks!!
Nepharski
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 16 2005, 11:03 PM) [snapback]330408[/snapback]

...FMA goes on a 2 Saturday hiatus after this episode. Now, that's actually highly practical, as who would watch on Christmas Eve and New Years? But if they have another cliff-clothes-hanger...ouch!

Thanks for the compliment. biggrin.gif

@FullMetalAlchemist01FAN: I believe you are thinking of Episode 41 or 42, but not 40.
TheFlameAlchemist
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 17 2005, 01:03 AM) [snapback]330408[/snapback]

lol, Way ahead of u,Thank God for DVR's, i have 7 already taped and this will make 8!
I am shaking in atticipation, literally! only 19 hours and 33 minutes to go!
Jen_Elric
Gah!! Can't wait!! The cliffie from last episode was almost too much to handle!!! Oh well...Gotta wait til tonight.
FullMetalAlchemist01FAN
QUOTE(Nepharski @ Dec 17 2005, 01:11 AM) [snapback]330410[/snapback]

QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 16 2005, 11:03 PM) [snapback]330408[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment. biggrin.gif

@FullMetalAlchemist01FAN: I believe you are thinking of Episode 41 or 42, but not 40.

oh!..someone told me that this episode explains about rose being the "holy mother"...well i guess not then....but i still cant wait for this episode!! lol happy.gif'
Full Metal Elf
happy.gif.....this is a GOOD episode!!! We find some stuff out!....Can't wait to see it English dubbed....hope it's great as usual!...hehehe
Sikiu-San
the day has finally come ^O^ *waits a few more hours/hourish* ph34r.gif
Wyrd_Raven
It begins.
Full Metal Elf
OMG!!!!!! The dubbing was great!! And SOOO much found out...and...

[spoiler]MARTEL!! T_T....and Poor Al!! AND....THE FUHRER!!! [/spoiler]

Ok...i've seen this episode several times before...but still...I get sad over it sad.gif.
Tombow
More revelations!!

And, Oh, NO,
[spoiler]Marta/Martel is killed!!![/spoiler]
Noooo!!!
Sikiu-San
WOOOOOOOOOO!! i was wondering when the anime would get to bradlies secret ph34r.gif *is all happy now* xD <333 i say this is a good episode to stop on. it confirms some of the things we were worried about in last weeks episode but does not really bring up anything major. only 12 or 13 more episodes left @@
one last thing i would like to talk about is rose. as i was thinking about the last time they showed her was when the soilders came in a building and she was protecting thoes kids Dx poor rose, and she has a baby blink.gif
Wyrd_Raven
[spoiler]Poor Al, he tried to save her but instead sealed her doom! Now he's got a mess on his hand as does Edward. Though the intrigue around the Lior PS to be most interesting indeed. The watches now make sense, as does the Fuhrer sending Kimblee and the Chimera in. Hallowed are the Ori... what this isn't SG-1[/spoiler]
niagra flame
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Dec 17 2005, 09:43 AM) [snapback]330557[/snapback]

Gah!! Can't wait!! The cliffie from last episode was almost too much to handle!!! Oh well...Gotta wait til tonight.

yo good to see you and yes the cliffie was alot to handle but thats fma and we cant do anything bout it besides whats a tv show without a little confusion and anticippation huh any ways nice to see you again
ed's numbuh 1 fan
oh my goodness... i just saw the episode my eye well totally transfixed to the screen!! and, poor Rose i feel so bad for her, and the look on Ed's face, this episode was so sad! i feel even more hate for the millitary, Tucker, and his sadisic ways and Kimbley, the pcycopath, and [spoiler] Pride [/spoiler] for killing Marta/Martel!! i saw in the manga about that i was hoping she would'nt but she did! and hmmmm i wonder what Lyra is planning to do hmmm wink.gif and also i swear i got tears in my eyes when they showed scars nii-san and marta's death, poor rose, poor Scar, poor Alphonse, ack so much angst, so much sadness... i'm depressed now =_= i need a hug...

and for the fangirl side of me...

i have to say Ed looked good as a brunette to bad it could'nt stay that way for a few epi's but he'll always look good as a natural hopefully blonde, and was it just me or did Ed look a little hot in this epi, was it his eyes? or maybe he's growing up, they usually make thir eyes smaller as they get older tongue.gif please ex'spose me for my fangirlish rant =d whahahahahahaha i'm going nuts! @_@
adaption_alchemist
Wow... this has been the most intense ep since Daddy died... oops, sorry, I've become accoustomed to calling him that. You people prolly know who I'm talking about anyways...

This was just... so tense... I owe Lust for stopping Ed from killing Scar. Then the fact that Roze had been captured and, from what I think, she was molested... Then we find out that Fuher is a (I don't know how to do spoiler thing, but you know what I'm talking about). So... tense... and Scar actually crying, even if it was when he was younger. Al tried to save Marta but just doomed her. Well, at least my Fav 4 are all together ^^ (Ed, Scar, Roze, and Lira [sp]) I could just ramble on this one. I'll have to read this to my friend who is in Hawaii next time she calls.

And ed's numbuh 1 fan, Ed always looks hot, so whats this talk about him being hot in this ep? oo;
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(adaption_alchemist @ Dec 17 2005, 11:58 PM) [snapback]330850[/snapback]
Then the fact that Roze had been captured and, from what I think, she was molested...

Leetle more than that. *Points to the baby*

It's been forever since I've watched the dub, so I decided to try it this week. On the positive side, the scripting was excellent; well done, tasteful and natural sounding. Not nearly as character-rapey as a few certain episodes. dry.gif

I'll probably never stop hating Ed and Al's english voices, so I guess it's no use griping.

Can anyone explain to me why the frick they changed Martel's name?
Tombow
QUOTE(ed @ Dec 17 2005, 11:42 PM) [snapback]330842[/snapback]

oh my goodness... i just saw the episode my eye well totally transfixed to the screen!! and, poor Rose i feel so bad for her, and the look on Ed's face, this episode was so sad! i feel even more hate for the millitary, Tucker, and his sadisic ways and Kimbley, the pcycopath, and [spoiler] Pride [/spoiler] for killing Marta/Martel!! i saw in the manga about that i was hoping she would'nt but she did! and hmmmm i wonder what Lyra is planning to do hmmm wink.gif and also i swear i got tears in my eyes when they showed scars nii-san and marta's death, poor rose, poor Scar, poor Alphonse, ack so much angst, so much sadness... i'm depressed now =_= i need a hug...

i have to say Ed looked good as a brunette to bad it could'nt stay that way for a few epi's but he'll always look good as a natural hopefully blonde, and was it just me or did Ed look a little hot in this epi, was it his eyes? or maybe he's growing up, they usually make thir eyes smaller as they get older tongue.gif please ex'spose me for my fangirlish rant =d whahahahahahaha i'm going nuts! @_@

Sure, hugs!! happy.gif
And, I also loved brunette Ed!! Tho he looked so much like Wrath. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 18 2005, 12:09 AM) [snapback]330854[/snapback]

Just plain mistake?? XDD
adaption_alchemist
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 18 2005, 01:09 AM) [snapback]330854[/snapback]

QUOTE(adaption_alchemist @ Dec 17 2005, 11:58 PM) [snapback]330850[/snapback]
Then the fact that Roze had been captured and, from what I think, she was molested...

Leetle more than that. *Points to the baby*

Yes, that was added support for why I thought that ^^
Tombow
Sooo, that's how Scar got his scar!! And his arn!! Yack!!
(Kinda waiting for one more hour, then we can safely talk freely about the content of ep without spoiler tags, I think.)
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 18 2005, 12:14 AM) [snapback]330856[/snapback]

Just plain mistake?? XDD

I'd understand if it was just a case of the voice actors mispronouncing things like they often do, like with 'Pinako', 'Izumi', 'Lyra', etcetra; those are just misread. But how do you just ignore a whole syllable while translating? o.O

Martel is presumably a last name anyhow, isn't it?
Singhay
I always find one thing new watching the dubs. Today it was Ed's automail when he transmuted it using a different metal.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(adaption_alchemist @ Dec 18 2005, 12:58 AM) [snapback]330850[/snapback]

And ed's numbuh 1 fan, Ed always looks hot, so whats this talk about him being hot in this ep? oo;

i know he does!!! i was just saying he seems more hotter then the last epis rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 18 2005, 01:14 AM) [snapback]330856[/snapback]

QUOTE(ed @ Dec 17 2005, 11:42 PM) [snapback]330842[/snapback]

Sure, hugs!! happy.gif
And, I also loved brunette Ed!! Tho he looked so much like Wrath. tongue.gif

yay *huggles back*
i know he did but i care not to compare him to Wrath *shudder* but yes he was cute, he just LOVES to cosplay don't ya think laugh.gif

QUOTE(Singhay @ Dec 18 2005, 01:51 AM) [snapback]330867[/snapback]

I always find one thing new watching the dubs. Today it was Ed's automail when he transmuted it using a different metal.

when i saw i kept saying "awww cool!!" that was clever to do that though laugh.gif

uhhh i need a life XXD
fMa_nv92
This episode was great...I was amazed at how Scar got his scar and why he
has his brother's arm....it was all because of KIMBLEE!!!...also sad how the
Fuhrer or (*****)(<didn't want to spoil that!!) killed Marta...also why Rose had a baby...
Man, they aren't airing a new episode next week, right??..because of the holidays...man.. mad.gif ..
but i guess it's kinda ok.....we'll just gotta wait til 2006.....
theothersin
The episode should be coming on RIGHT now, so only a little bit more for spoiler tags. Can't wait to see it! -runs away to make random sugar food and watch episode-
TheFlameAlchemist
just saw the first part (darn me for going out tonite) KIMBLEE YOU BASTARD!
Tombow
Watching the second run. laugh.gif

Young Scar is kinda cute. happy.gif
And, I knew it!! He liked her also...

ETA: Ok, the second run/repeat (or first run for some people) of episode 40 is over, and I think now it's safe to talk episode contents without spoiler tags!! happy.gif

The Ultimate eye showed his true self!!
TheFlameAlchemist
blink.gif

HOLY S&%@!

OK, Damn u Furher! Damn u Kimblee!
This was one good ep. I loved it. Martel is dead! Wahhhhh! sad.gif I liked her.
Kimblee you friggin bastard I hate you more than ever!
O, the learning how scar got his arm and scar thing is cool to! and the PLAN! glad I never enlisted in the military biggrin.gif .
Poor Rose, I now divide the military into the good military and the bad military
Roy and crew good, the Furher and crew BAD!
And I have to wait 2 friggin weeks for the next Ep. WTF!!!!!?!!!!!!!!
Gonna rewatch it now, again I say Thank God for DVRs! laugh.gif
anonymouse
Was Marta able to give the information to Al before she died? She was speaking, and then they quickly cut to the outside of Al, and then Al gasped. This seemed to be before Al saw the Fuhrer, so I wondered if maybe she did finish telling him, but we just didn't hear her voice.

I still suspect that that's not really Lyra...

My guess would be that the dubbers thought that it sounded too masculine. "Marta" is definitely a more feminine name. However, if it's supposed to be her surname, I don't see why that should matter. Oh well. *shrug*
TheFlameAlchemist
Anyone else think that the way Al beat the S$%# out of Kimblee was Cool as hell?

@Wyrd Raven - Hallowed are the Ori, lol SG-1 Rocks too!
theothersin
HOLY MOTHER -er Rose.

That locket is going to be something big, I know it. And Gluttony, his little "I hate you. I hate you for hurting my Lust." And then he ate the wall. blink.gif

And Scar...poor Scar! Poor Rose! Poor Al! Poor Martel! NO Martel can't die!

Okay, four letter words should be sent to Pride and Kimblee, who also gets a seven letter word that starts with 'b'.

-hands out cookies- Who else thinks Kimblee should burn in hell?
TheFlameAlchemist
^ I DO!

and since I'm the flame alchemist, he can burn on earth to! MUHAHAHA! laugh.gif

*snaps his fingers at Kimblee*

*Kimblee GO BOOOM!*

How do you like it you BASTARD!
theothersin
Yay! Burn Kimblee BURN!

Alternate Personality Known As Tumo: Don't you think that's a little harsh Sin? Maybe his parents never hugged him?

Sin: Kimblee needs to BURN!

On another topic

Sin: How do you think Al is going to get Marta out of him? Seriously, there's a corpse inside his armour, (NO! not Marta!) she has to come out.

Tumo: Maybe one of Mustang's crew or something?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(anonymouse @ Dec 18 2005, 03:16 AM) [snapback]330890[/snapback]
My guess would be that the dubbers thought that it sounded too masculine. "Marta" is definitely a more feminine name. However, if it's supposed to be her surname, I don't see why that should matter. Oh well. *shrug*

But Martel isn't even a feminine character, and even if she were, she's military; Martel is the last name everyone refers to her as. They didn't change Lieutenant Ross' last name to Lieutenant Rose or anything, just because she's a woman.

Whatever. dry.gif
Sydney
QUOTE(TheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 18 2005, 03:18 AM) [snapback]330892[/snapback]

Anyone else think that the way Al beat the S$%# out of Kimblee was Cool as hell?

OMG, that was one of the highlights for me! laugh.gif I remember predicting from last week's preview we'd get an Al vs. Kimbley fight, and had hoped armor boy would so totally own, but the actual thing on the last ep. blew me away; Al was soooo awesome. (Always knew that if actually drawing out arrays is your main source of alchemy, you have to draw uber-fast when in a fight, as Al so eloquently demonstrated; and when Kimbley's all like "you idiot" to Al, I'm like "nah-uh, he has a hidden trap under his sleeve", and VOILA! Al pretty much wins, and I'm like "Told you Kimbley; never underestimate the armored Elric!"--note: all of this was inner dialogue)

Gah, great to see Scar's past...even if it was of course extremely heart-breaking. (FMA's done it again--it's so good at really provoking horrified responses out of me; Kimbley's mutiliation of Scar was really--the screams did not help at all--*shivers* ...Must see a rematch between those two, now that they're both on equal alchemic level.)

Need Ed to calm down, he's again driving in without all of the facts, and he's beginning to sound negatively self-righteous. (Seemed ready to kill Scar under the unconfirmed idea that he was going to use Lior's citizens for the Philosopher's Stone--and of course, turned out wrong, Scar planned to use the military, not Lior's people; seemed awfully preachy about "not killing at all", especially when he had by that time--in effect--killed Greed, and yet...this particular thing can be rationalized by Greed's death in fact. I think Ed's still reeling from the consequential feelings over killing Greed, i.e. now that he's killed, run from that topic, never do it again, bastardize anyone who does, fight against it. Also, just a huge increase in Ed's inner tension, i.e. unspoken factor for ep. 38's brotherly conflict. Anyway...seemed very preachy too about the Homunculi in general, their "soulless and monstrous" nature, and I really wanted to knock him over the head for telling Scar not to even consider Lust as part of the woman he cared about, or even try to appeal to her in that fashion, because he himself has not even tried talking about dear ol' Mom with his younger brother. Then again...this too can be rationalized; what Ed's warning Scar about Lust, could be FMA's way of indirectly showing Ed's stance on the Mommy-Homunculus issue. Also, again Ed's unresolved feelings over killing Greed come into play, i.e. be so determined that Homunculi are "soulless and monstrous" to justify himself and absolve himself of any guilt over killing one.

Obviously, I'm not quite willing to buy into Ed's whole "Homunculi are evil" philosophy; Greed was good in my opinion; her means are ruthless, but I find Lust's goal to become human is at least a few levels above wanting to rule or destroy the world; also, that whole philosophy is so black and white, so simplistic and generalized, that it is automatically incorrect according to me--things are never that simple or generalized in real life, there's always more to it.

Looking forward to see more of Scar's relationship with Rose, especially after the last preview, and of course see something more go on between him and Lust. (My advice Scar: Try to reach Lust if you want, but I suppose you should be careful.)

When I saw Lyra--"...Uh-oh." I had this theory before upon seeing her in the mansion near Dante's corpse in ep. 34, and that was confirmed when I spoiled myself a little; there's something wrong with her, and her presence precedes a ton of trouble.

...MARTEL!!!
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Nepharski
Kimblee better burn like he's at a Mustang convention.

Brilliant episode. Good action, deep backstory, and Lyra shows up again. Oh, yeah...

"Your agile moves won't work on me, Snake-Chimera. I have the ultimate eye!"

Pride strikes!

Personally, I'm reserving all bastard comments towards Pride for a later episode.

[spoiler]Episode 51, to be exact.[/spoiler]

I hope I did a good job hosting for you guys. I'll start us off again with Episode 41 in two weeks. biggrin.gif
Colette
Marta....I wish she didn't have to go. Curse you Pride!

At least she's with Greed, now. sad.gif
Koori
Pride was the one and only spoiler I found out when researching a work of fiction. I kicked myself for it ... took away some of the shock factor but still a very good episode. I feel so sorry for Al and I believe she was able to tell Al what he needed to know before Pride killed her. Or Al would have been more shocked by the attack. At least that's my thoughts

At least she's with Greed, now.

Not to get too spiritual but I thought the homunculi didn’t have souls … not sure where their ‘self’ goes when they pass away. There was more then one Lust maybe they get recycled?
Colette
Ssh! Nobody knows yet! >.>

Though, if you ask me, it does seem like homunculi have souls. They aren't mindless, they make their own decisions...all that stuff.
ed's numbuh 1 fan

That locket is going to be something big, I know it. And Gluttony, his little "I hate you. I hate you for hurting my Lust." And then he ate the wall. blink.gif

it was more like he licked the wall, i think i saw somewhere that his saliva is made of acid which is'nt hard to belive, and also when he said that it really creeped me out blink.gif ph34r.gif

-hands out cookies- Who else thinks Kimblee should burn in hell?

YES!!! so can the so called "Fuhrer". yay i get a cyber cookie!! yay
Ed-Al-Win Fan
I thought it was quite an interesting episode...I actually was very surprised to see how Scar got that symbol arm, which it actually was his brother's arm?...No wonder he always saying I must carry out my brother's orders or something like that...I was bit confused when he said that on one episode. But anywho it was pretty interesting...

And also the part with Martel, that was a sad death. And poor Al having to see it. I really wish she would have got a chance to tell Al the info before she got killed. Because I figured that Fuhrer was going to get her, because she now knew who he really was....
TheFlameAlchemist
The next ep, These fingers are gonna snap in the Furher's Direction! HATE!, HATE!, HATE!
ph34r.gif
I hated him when Martel got killed in the manga by him ( a little premature from this though) But NOW! ME REALLY HATE!
anonymouse
QUOTE(Ed-Al-Win Fan @ Dec 18 2005, 03:24 PM) [snapback]331021[/snapback]

I thought it was quite an interesting episode...I actually was very surprised to see how Scar got that symbol arm, which it actually was his brother's arm?...No wonder he always saying I must carry out my brother's orders or something like that...I was bit confused when he said that on one episode. But anywho it was pretty interesting...

What I thought was interesting was that his brother didn't actually say anything like that. He just gave him the arm to help keep Scar alive. I think that Scar just concocted the whole "my brother's will" thing in his mind in order to justify his thirst for revenge.
Chopper Enthusiast
My newly attained favorite episode.
Merely for the introduction of Pride.
Too bad about Martel, though the sadness of her death was greatly eclipsed by the Fuher's uber coolness, and Martel's blood seeping through Al's armour was also a grand spectacle.

Oh, by the way. Rose sucks. And Funimation sucks for making this methane enriched BS story about Rose and scar. I hope the baby is eaten by a squirell/pissed off bear chimera.

And by the way, I will not list names but, for all of you who find the murder of Martel, and the homicidal notions of Kimblee too deep... "OMG! I HAT JOZ KIMBLEE! i HAT JOOZ pRUDE! gO TOO HELLS AZZ-HOL!!!!111ELEVENTYONE!!!11" Stop watching FMA. It is painfully obvious that shows such as Beyblade, or possibly Americanized One-Piece are better suited for you.
Nepharski
QUOTE(TheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 18 2005, 01:31 PM) [snapback]331024[/snapback]

The next ep, These fingers are gonna snap in the Furher's Direction! HATE!, HATE!, HATE!
ph34r.gif
I hated him when Martel got killed in the manga by him ( a little premature from this though) But NOW! ME REALLY HATE!

See, now what I don't understand, is how everyone hates Pride, but loves Envy. Envy is worse than Pride is, if we're talking evil deeds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.