Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saiyuki
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
FloweringAlchemist
Saiyuki (幻想魔伝最遊記 Gensōmaden Saiyūki?) directed by Hayato Date, original run April 1, 2004 September 23, 2004.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: Many years ago, humans and demons lived in harmony. But that unity ended when demons started attacking humans and plotted a mission to unleash Gyumao - an evil demon imprisoned for thousands of years. Now, Genjo Sanzo, a rogue priest, must team up with three demons - Sha Gojyo, Son Goku, and Cho Hakkai - and embark on a perilous journey to the west to stop these demons from resurrecting Gyumao and restore the balance between humans and demons on Earth.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, supernatural
Themes: bishounen, demons
Episodes: 50
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

---------------

Anyone a Saiyuki fan in here?! Come on! I mean FMA Rox the house and Naruto is awesome and stuff (GO NINJAS! KONOHA! KONOHA! KONOHA! ph34r.gif ) But Saiyuki is just as awesome!

I LOVE Goku! wub.gif Goku!!! *blush* Ahem...<.<
ἀρχή
Sanzo Party! Yes, I'm a Saiyuki fan. It's one of the animes that got me into anime.

"I'm hungry" - That's our Goku smile.gif.
Tsutomu Saishuu
I say Gojyo owns the crap out of Goku. He always = better then the monkey. ;P

Oh, and I love the series and own all the dvds of it too. o_o'
Kihaku
I've only read the first 5 volumes of the manga...I don't know much about the anime... never seen it, but it seems that there are three different serieses of it. Huh? Are they all based on the manga?
My fav is either Hakkai or Gojyo... possibly both...together biggrin.gif
But I really like the other two too! All four make such a great group! *happy dance*
FloweringAlchemist
Goku can beat Gojyo ANYDAY!!!! XDDDDDDD tongue.gif
ἀρχή
Cho Hakkai is my favorite. He's like the mother of the group where Sanzo is the father and Goku and Gojyo are the kids. I love how long suffering Hakkai is. But when he is at his limit, watch out, even Goku is in awe smile.gif.
Kitoky
I'm a Cho Hakkai-kun fan *peace*

Though Gojyo is a close second.
sevter
Sanzo's my fave. I mean...who wouldn't love the bad-ass, smoking, gun-toting monk? Plus he's also angsty and he's got the credit card.

Heh. Hakkai's scary when he's angry but Goku's cute. I prefer the real version of Goku though (in Journey to The West).
FloweringAlchemist
Now going out os Saiyuki topic here, Who's your favorite FMA Caracter?

I REALLY can't decide between Ed or Al @_@() Someone help me!! wacko.gif
LordGohan
Sanzo's my fave. I mean...who wouldn't love the bad-ass, smoking, gun-toting monk? Plus he's also angsty and he's got the credit card.

minus the credit card,Wolfwood is your guy!(woolfwood is from trigun)and his gun is HUGE!!
Sanzo is prety cool though.
potato_jaws
kyaaaaaaaa~~ im a true sanzo fan!! luv him... adore him... want him!!! XD
and i just love minekura sensei's work...
it's the best!!
LordGohan
heres a pic of sanzo i edited,my cousin liked it so...EDIT it is too big...
Kitoky
And deformed XD

I would like Sanzo but...in every promotional picture he always has a bundle of leaves up his nose...smoking in other words.
ἀρχή
Sanzo's an ol' softy tongue.gif. He's always giving in when the 'children' cry. I love watching when Sanzo gets caught in being 'nice'. He's always got some explanation, but you know he actually cares.
sevter
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 27 2004, 08:15 PM)
Sanzo's an ol' softy tongue.gif. He's always giving in when the 'children' cry. I love watching when Sanzo gets caught in being 'nice'. He's always got some explanation, but you know he actually cares.
[snapback]67257[/snapback]

Sanzo is just so KAWAII!!!! when he's being nice but trying not to look as though he's being nice. I just bought Saiyuki Reload and Saiyuki Reload Gunlock. Excellent Animes, both of them smile.gif and there's this episode where Sanzo was stuck with a kitten. He's just soooo cute when he does that.

The way they quarrel with each other just like siblings. They can't survive without each other really. It's been proven. Without Hakkai, they'll starve and be buried under a mountain of trash. Without Gojyo, everybody becomes more irritable, even Hakkai. Without Goku...umm...well...there's no episode where Goku isn't there yet. Sanzo? There's no episode for that too. They can't go on without Sanzo anyway...

Ah yeah...I'm rambling aren't I? I just watched the Anime so I'm still on that stage where I'm really really hyper. Some of you guys should know this problem. laugh.gif

Ah...actually...I have a really big request for you guys...do anyone have Saiyuki Scanlations? Or do you know where to get them. I have Saiyuki Gaiden Scanlations and I bought Saiyuki Reload, English version already so the only thing that I don't have is Saiyuki.

Going back to other topics, do share your thought on the Sanzo-ikkou or Kougaiji-sama. I have a friend who absolutely adores Kougaji. Can't blame her really, Kou's pretty cool. I love the scenes where Kou or Sanzo is mumbling some incantations (curse words?). I can't get enough of Sanzo's past too. We see so few of that.

Enough of that before I ramble some more...
Kitoky
"They are....my slaves"

"I'll kill 'im!"
"I'll kill 'im!"
"Now, just play along."
Kihaku
sevter:
You bought the anime series? Ooh which ones are those? I'm so confused since there seem to be three different series.
based on the manga? Or?
The Saiyuki manga is licensed by Tokyopop. Vol 6 has been out for some while... Reload? There's that too???Gaiden? Um?
Sorry that I don't know about scanlations.. and now obviously I'm not sure which are licensed....

Yeah, those four really complete each other as a group wink.gif I like the way they work together and their great bonds (which I like to think as deeper ones.. wink.gif )

Kougaiji.. I like him even though he's kind of the enemy tongue.gif I don't know enough about him.. I'd like to know more about his past too.. and his group... Actually all those parts with the character's pasts are interesting. biggrin.gif

Kitoky:
Which part is that from??
ἀρχή
My favorite character past was Hakkai's. Sanzo's good too and usually ends up showing a different side of him. One of my favorite Sanzo history episodes was the wine drinking contest. The end of that episode was great.
sevter
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Jan 24 2005, 03:14 AM)
sevter:
You bought the anime series? Ooh which ones are those? I'm so confused since there seem to be three different series.
based on the manga? Or?
The Saiyuki manga is licensed by Tokyopop. Vol 6 has been out for some while... Reload? There's that too???Gaiden? Um?
Sorry that I don't know about scanlations.. and now obviously I'm not sure which are licensed....
[snapback]95489[/snapback]

Ahoy fellow Anime Otaku!

Didn't I see you in the Gundam Wing thread too? Saiyuki is licensed? No wonder they stopped providing Manga Scanlations for Saiyuki. sad.gif I've read the series but I wanted to keep it so that I could re-read it again.

To answer your question, Saiyuki the manga has three different series. The first is Saiyuki Gaiden which is actually a so-called prequel to Saiyuki. [spoiler]It covers their time when they were still gods[/spoiler]

Saiyuki is the original "real" series which ended a long time ago. Saiyuki Reload on the other hand, is a sequel to Saiyuki. A continuation on where they left off in SAiyuki. Since SAiyuki Reload has not finished yet, Saiyuki the Anime has two parts to it for SAiyuki Reload. They have "Saiyuki Reload" and "Saiyuki Reload Gunlock".

Another little tidbit which is a common knowledge amongst Saiyuki fans is that Saiyuki is based VERY loosely on the Chinese folktale? legend? of "Journey To The West" which also features a Sanzo travelling to the west with his three companions. The Sanzo in the original is nothing like this Sanzo though *smirk*. It's really funny once you've seen the original.

Kougaiji.. I like him even though he's kind of the enemy  I don't know enough about him.. I'd like to know more about his past too.. and his group... Actually all those parts with the character's pasts are interesting.

True true. Those bits are the most interesting parts, especially Kouryuu's with Koumyou Sanzo. Still, any part where the Sanzo-ikkou has is awesome. I like it when they were mock-fighting each other. The good thing about Saiyuki is that it's not too angsty. I wanted to cry though when [spoiler]they were defeated by the creepy guy that controls toys[/spoiler]
Kihaku
arche:
my favourite past was Hakkai's too! biggrin.gif
Isn't that also basically the part when the guys meet? biggrin.gif

sevter:
Animeotaku? me? biggrin.gif
You remember me from the GW thread? not from the pairings one? wink.gif I suppose that says something. biggrin.gif (still haven't see past eps 22)

Haven't seen the anime of Saiyuki though.. but apparently it's the same as the manga so I should know a little.. wink.gif I've read up to vol 5..I don't know which part that is in the anime.. but I hope to read vol 6 too. biggrin.gif
Ah, but it's not a bad thing that it's licensed. Now you can buy the manga! biggrin.gif I understood that you want that.
So the original Saiyuki is probably the licensed one.. I don't remember how many volumes that has, but I assume that maybe Reload will be licesed too when the original has come out.. or maybe the prequel.. don't know. That sounds kind of interesting, but I'm more interested in the sequel! biggrin.gif

Saiyuki Reload Gunlock? *hits head* So that's because the manga isn't finished?

Ooh.. I haven't seen the original... I don't know much about it.. but that folktale seems to be a popular theme! biggrin.gif

I already mentioned that I especially like the part when the guys meet and the bit about Hakkai's past.. I'd like to find more about the others too.
I don't remember any mock fights maybe I haven't got to them yet...
Toy controller? I'll have something to look forward to then.
Hm..Saiyuki isn't too angsty, but it's angsty enough.. I like the combination of wierd humour and angst. biggrin.gif
sevter
I don't remember any mock fights maybe I haven't got to them yet...

When I say mock fights, I'm actually referring to those fights that Sanzo, Gojyo and Goku keeps having.

"Ero-Kappa!"
"Baka Saru!"
"Urusai!" *thwack thwack*

There's also a scene in the Anime (Saiyuki Reload/Gunlock can't remember which one) where [spoiler]Hakkai left the trio because they took him for granted[/spoiler] Saiyuki's skillful blend of humour and angst is something that I've never seen in any other Anime, even FMA which managed to have Humour and Angst at the same time without one overwhelming the other.
Kitoky
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Jan 23 2005, 12:14 PM)
Kitoky:
Which part is that from??
[snapback]95489[/snapback]

I believe it's from the anime and also in the first volume of Saiyuki which I have - trying to get volume 2, but alas, I have no money.
Kihaku
sevter:
Oh those mock fights! Silly me. tongue.gif Yes, those are hilarious...
I just love Sanzo's "fan"! biggrin.gif It's much nicer than his gun.. tongue.gif
Uh... about the spoiler... I didn't exactly get the reason.. but it's not fair for him to be left out..
Hmm.. I don't know.. I think both FMA and saiyuki are great with their mixture of angst and humour wink.gif I can't say in which it works better wink.gif.

Kitoky:
The first volume? oh.. I haven't read that twice yet.. tongue.gif I actually don't remember much from that.. more from the others. I hoping to read vol 6. My friend bought it, but she has leant it to someone else now. Oh well, I can wait.
I also hate money issues! I'm poor at the moment too.. *sighs*.
Dancing Alchemist
Well i know a friend who likes Saiyuki.
Kitoky
Tell that friend of yours to join the forum and share her/his fandom with us smile.gif
sevter
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Jan 27 2005, 01:10 AM)
I just love Sanzo's "fan"! biggrin.gif It's much nicer than his gun.. tongue.gif
Uh... about the spoiler... I didn't exactly get the reason.. but it's not fair for him to be left out..
[snapback]97747[/snapback]

I like both of them equally. I mean it's funny the way that Sanzo would shoot at Gojyo and Goku. As for the spoiler, it was actually VERY funny. It was actually revealed that without Hakkai, the three other is an absolute slob. The room was so buried in rubbish and Cigarette butts till Sanzo lost his Sutra and they had to search for it.

We also learn that the person whom you have to be afraid of in saiyuki isn't Sanzo but Hakkai. The guy's absolutely sadistic when he's angry. So Hakkai went to live at another hotel and pampered himself. Big time.
Kihaku
The gun is okay.. wink.gif I was just a little "scared" of it at first. It looks like Sanzo likes using it too much. tongue.gif
The spoiler was funny???? Ooh have to look forward to that then. wink.gif
Ooh.. I always thought that Hakkai was the person who kind of looked after the others.. wink.gif
And yeah even though he doesn't look it.. Hakkai can be scary... his past kind of reveal that.
I don't know how scary he can be though...
Kasumi
QUOTE(sevter)
Saiyuki is the original "real" series which ended a long time ago. Saiyuki Reload on the other hand, is a sequel to Saiyuki. A continuation on where they left off in SAiyuki. Since SAiyuki Reload has not finished yet, Saiyuki the Anime has two parts to it for SAiyuki Reload. They have "Saiyuki Reload" and "Saiyuki Reload Gunlock".

I thought Reload AND Gunlock were both finished airing? unsure.gif Reload finished at 25 episodes, while Gunlock at 26?
I'm confused...-___-
Kitoky
I bought Saiyuki voume 3, but my friend got her greedy hands on volume 2 first so I just read volume 2 - So Sanzo isn't considered the 'leader' of the group because when they're staying in a house somewhere and there's only one bed and 3 futons on the floor - Hakkai always gets the bed - Is this some sort sign that Hakkai is most likely the only straight guy in Saiyuki *giggles*
Kihaku
Kasumi:
Uh.. I have no idea of those series... I still have to watch them wink.gif.
Feeling a little confused myself...

Kitoky:
Well.. I believe that Sanzo is kind of the leader... he basically decides what they do/where they go...
Oh.. I loved that part in vol 2 wink.gif. Hakkai always gets the bed? I witnessed only that one time... and I wondered a little myself.. but then it was explained that it was because he's so good at cards. biggrin.gif
Yeah and he's better than Gojyo, who doesn't quite like that.. laugh.gif
Hmm... about Hakkai being the only staright guy.. Well he's the only one I know uptil now to have had a relationship with a woman.. but he can't be completely straight tongue.gif since he and Gojyo sooo belong together tongue.gif
(yup.. yup.. I'm a big fan of that pairing wink.gif )
nonamecat
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 22 2004, 03:07 PM)
Cho Hakkai is my favorite. He's like the mother of the group where Sanzo is the father and Goku and Gojyo are the kids. I love how long suffering Hakkai is. But when he is at his limit, watch out, even Goku is in awe smile.gif.
[snapback]64274[/snapback]

I'm totally with you on the Hakkai-love smile.gif He's definitely my favorite of the group.
I love him and Gojyo...especially when they're together...*cough*
Kitoky
Ah yes the card thing - I hadn't read that before my post >.> <.<

Though it reminded me alot about a Vietnamese rank of highest card. I used to play a game called Tien Lien alot and the 2 of hearts is the highest which is called a "pig" << not sure why.

Basically the highest cards are the 2's, the aces are higher than kings of course and it just goes odown from here.
sevter
Can't really say anything about pairings. I like my Saiyuki Gen. Not slash, not het, just gen. Which means there's no pairings at all. IF there must be a pairings, I prefer Sanzo/Kougaiji. tongue.gif
AlchemistEd
I love Saiyuki.I like Hakkai but heh their all awesome biggrin.gif
Kitoky
I've never heard of Saiyuki Gen...

Only Gensoumaden Saiyuki...O.o
Kihaku
QUOTE(nonamecat @ Jan 28 2005, 09:48 PM)
I'm totally with you on the Hakkai-love smile.gif  He's definitely my favorite of the group. 
I love him and Gojyo...especially when they're together...*cough*
[snapback]100817[/snapback]

Oh that's EXACTLY how I think! biggrin.gif
Hakkai is my fave... now I've finally been able to decide between him and Gojyo although Gojyo is pretty close still wink.gif.
I just love their relationship! And it's very much likely more tongue.gif Well.. I can't help but loving the part in vol 5....

Kitoky:
Oh.. you hadn't read that yet? laugh.gif Uh, sorry I didn't realise.
Hakkai's cardplaying skills are amazing. tongue.gif It's also surprising that the others (especially Gojyo) are pretty aware of that, but they still decide with a card game rolleyes.gif. Hmm.. although it has to do with luck too..I think Hakkai says that himself in vol 5...
Saiyuki Gen... you did didn't see the part "which means there's no pairing at all"?

Anyway.. I'm a person, who loves pairings too much to like gen..tongue.gif
Hmm.... I do love close friendship/sibling relationships without romance involved to... but I don't think that there could be any series that I wouldn't see any romantic relationships wink.gif.
Prodigal Alchemist
I'm a big saiyuki fan although Reload dub isn't the best ever...i can't believe they change the company that released it and the voices...oh brother....

(i can't stand subs so i have to watch everything dubbed)

Goku is my favorite character...
ἀρχή
I have to admit, I preferred the sub to dub on this series. I just got to hear Nataku's voice dubbed and I hated it. Sounded to whiny for me.
Kitoky
The covers of the manga volumes are so beautiful! @.@
Tamago
I WATCH THE MOVIE ONLY, BUT I'M COLLECTING THE MANGA!!!!!! it rocks.....happy.gif laugh.gif
BillieJoe143
Saiyuki is probibly one of my favorite shows, and i wanted to know what other people think of it......

Goku bishie is the cutest wub.gif
Alchemist_Angel
I haven't seen it yet....*ponders* Actually I never heard of it! *cries* There is an anime that I haven't watched! tongue.gif

How are you?
BillieJoe143
Im good, and how are you?
telepika
blink.gif And I'm fine too...

Anyway, Saiyuki was really awesome. Four incredibly hot bishis and an amazing storyline!!! The only downside to Saiyuki was the animation, too much flashing and posing for the battle sequences. Saiyuki deserved better, but the music's good. I like that one song they play... when Sanzo was a kid and was facing the bear around episode 5? If you don't know what I'm talking about then it's ok...

I was disappointed with Saiyuki Reload though. What happened to the engaging story?
ZaKai
I've seen only the first four or so DVDs, but that was about a year ago... What I've seen is really good though. It's definitely on my list of animes to finish watching.
Gato Gurl914
i haven't seen it but i own the 7 books of manga so far (there are 9) i love it lol

Sanzo- Shut up! I'll kill you! DEATH!
Alchemist_Angel
I'm doing pretty good happy.gif By the sounds of it, everyone else is doing good too! I will have to see if I can get a hold of this anime some how, I'm interested! laugh.gif
Celestial Shadow
I know tons about it and am planning on getting the manga and anime. There's more bishes than the original 4 too tongue.gif
edsgirl
QUOTE(telepika @ Apr 20 2005, 10:03 PM)
blink.gif And I'm fine too...

Anyway, Saiyuki was really awesome. Four incredibly hot bishis and an amazing storyline!!! The only downside to Saiyuki was the animation, too much flashing and posing for the battle sequences. Saiyuki deserved better, but the music's good. I like that one song they play... when Sanzo was a kid and was facing the bear around episode 5? If you don't know what I'm talking about then it's ok...

I was disappointed with Saiyuki Reload though. What happened to the engaging story?
[snapback]157447[/snapback]

I agree. Saiyuki deserved better! Reload was total crap. I was impressed with Sanzo's character the most. Animes with monks who like to drink, smoke and carry pistols can do no harm. Goku actually got on my nerves through most of the series, but I'd still highly recommend this one to anyone who hasn't seen it yet smile.gif
Celestial Shadow
Really? Reload wasn't good? That one looked the best...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.