Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 38 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
TheVileOne
That's right folks, we are going back to the way things SHOULD be with me starting the episode thread discussions. And that means we start them the DAY the episode airs. NOT A MONTH or weeks before hand, ya savvy?

Now we know the the secret of creating the Philosopher's Stone. And we know that Scar is determined to make one to strike back at the military. Ed and Al both want to stop him at the moment. The homunculi continue to manipulate and move things about as well. Archer is taking control and is not going to make things easy for the Brothers Elric either.

Tonight, we are going to see the return of a familiar character. To give you a hint, the English VA does a famous character for another prolific anime now showing on Adult Swim.
Sikiu-San
Its good to have breather episodes but still convey some important info. im glad they keeped atleast one little segment that i remember from the manga happy.gif
im so glad these threads are back on track <<3333
*tries to think of the character* blink.gif
FullMetalAlchemist01FAN
yay! only less than 2 hours left till the episode airs on TV at 11pm! woohoo! im so excited! hehe happy.gif'
Tombow
Only a dozen more episodes till the final episode!!
Can't miss every single one!!
About to start in 5 more minutes. smile.gif
Wyrd_Raven
Hmmm Aliens invading Amestris.

*scribbles a note down on insane theories scoresheet*
Tombow
I liked this episode!! (Of course, I like every episode of Fma. XDD )

Ed with singed afro hairdo was funny!! laugh.gif

Ed and Al are on the move again, and so is the Fma stioryline.

Nice to see familier faces. happy.gif
chaz8705
Gotta love that brotherly love! cool.gif
The Fuzzy Alchemist
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 3 2005, 09:32 PM) [snapback]324011[/snapback]

IPB Image
LOLS ROLF biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Tombow
@The Fuzzy Alchemist - Thanks for the screen cap!! laugh.gif

Ed and Al's little "brothely" fight using the alchemy was funny also!! XDD

And, I loved watching another young Ed & Al scene, with their mom. I love those!! happy.gif
theothersin
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 4 2005, 02:32 AM) [snapback]324086[/snapback]

@The Fuzzy Alchemist - Thanks for the screen cap!! laugh.gif

Ed and Al's little "brothely" fight using the alchemy was funny also!! XDD

And, I loved watching another young Ed & Al scene, with their mom. I love those!! happy.gif

The alchemy fight was one of my favorite parts, that and the aliens invading Amestris.
TheFlameAlchemist
Funny and Compelling! INVASION! The aliens are here ROFL! ED looks like Napolean with that 'fro. Funny alchemy fight, Al was at the disadvantage having to draw a circle each time, POOR AL! *hands Al a kitty* there ya go. I especially liked the ending, *GASP* not, Darn me for reading all the spoilers!!!

P.S. Winry in that military uniform = HAWTNESS! laugh.gif
anonymouse
It's curious how Winry was able to immediately recognize how Sloth bears such a resemblance to Tricia Elric, yet that hasn't seemed to have fully clicked with either Ed or Al. I wonder why. Some sort of mental block, perhaps?

Ed gave her a weird look when he first saw her, but he hasn't seemed to have made the connection yet. Strange.
Molecular Alchemist
QUOTE(anonymouse @ Dec 4 2005, 03:50 AM) [snapback]324096[/snapback]

It's curious how Winry was able to immediately recognize how Sloth bears such a resemblance to Tricia Elric, yet that hasn't seemed to have fully clicked with either Ed or Al. I wonder why. Some sort of mental block, perhaps?

Ed gave her a weird look when he first saw her, but he hasn't seemed to have made the connection yet. Strange.

Hmm...I think that in Ed's case, it's denile....and Al is still pondering the whole situation. If I remember correctly, Al tried to talk to Ed about this back when they were going to Dante's house....that their "mistake" should be running around somewhere...but Ed blew him off, suggesting that the thought crossed his mind, and he just can't come to grips with it...aww..the poor guys sad.gif

I do soo like this episode...'tis a shame I missed the airing of it on AS. I love it when the brothers fight and in the end Ed traps Al in a cage and walks into town... laugh.gif It's good to get back on track, after that breather last week with the Flame Achemist.
ibshafer
Yes, the alchemy fight was funny (and Al was VERY impressive - I loved him just touching the circle with one finger), but was anyone else uncomfortable watching them argue like that? (Before the slinging of dirt and stone started - which, yes, was funny.) It occured to me that Al had good reason to question Ed's "plans." Much as I love (OK, adore) the fullmetal one, he does tend to act impulsively, dragging that kid around everywhere without asking him what he thinks. I was glad that Al spoke up, but Ed's reactions were very telling. It just made me wonder if there were tensions building between them. Listening to them, it occured to me that they were just not getting along - something more than just the stress of the journey and the walk through the desert. And their devotion to each other is what made me love the show to begin with...

I did really enjoy the episode, though.

Loved Winry teaming with Sceska (how DO you spell it?) to do the Nancy Drew thing. As for Juliet (Stevens?), I know Ed noticed *something* about her when he first saw her in Mustang's office, but taken out of her natural context (their yard, say). his logical mind explained the resemblence away. For Winry, all she saw was face - well, and liquid - and maybe isolated like that, she could see that face for what it really was...

Am curious why Al would mind Marta going after the Sins, unless he was worried about what the vengence thing would do to Marta. Or does he think there's good in them there hummunuli?

I thought this episode was beautifully drawn. The show's animation can be inconsistent, sometimes rough and slightly crude, but I can always tell it's a good one, drawing-wise, when Edward is breathtaking. And he was. breathtaking. Hmmm....

Anyone know why AS went from a Monday-Thursday schedule, to Mon-Wed? Also, anyone know if they have plans to run the movie (dubbed! I'm very, very attached to Vic's Ed.... ) after they finish the episodes?

Irene
FullMetalAlchemist01FAN
i love this episode!...i like the ending when Al mentioned about himself and ed use to fight over marring Winry. i never heard those two actually say those words about marring winry. i mean ive heard that they did in the manga and in the show too, but i just never heard them say that until this episode aired on TV...WooooW, lol. and those fights were actually the hardest those two fought...now thats amazing! to me. but you know i think that deep DDEEEEPP down inside ed and als heart that they really like winry as a crush kind of thing but doesnt realize it yet or maybe will never realize it...sadly.
The Fuzzy Alchemist
IPB Image
LOLS ANOTHER SCREEN CAP laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Full Metal Elf
This is a GREAT episode! Hehe...the alchemy fight between Ed and Al is so funny....it's sad they were fighting, but it was still great. The dubbing was awesome! I was impressed!

And Winry and Sheska...those two are so funny together happy.gif.

Overall, this is a great episode! Hehe...though I can't believe how close we're getting to the big things...with the next episode...things will start rolling like crazy. O_O...
the_lightning_alchemist10
I have no idea what you are all talking about!!!! PLEASE what was the fight about and stuff, i need to be filled in. I missed the episode, i think i'm gonna cry. IPB Image I was at a friends house last night and i asked my parents to record the episode while i was there (you don't watch TV there, her mom wouldn't let us) and my parents forgot to record it. First they "lost" my Al plushie in the wash, then they "accidently" bent my favorite manga, now they didn't record this episode. I swear to god this is a conspiresy (sp?).........srry just somebody please fill me in. Your fellow FMA fan needs to know!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odysseus
Ah yes this episode was pretty good I believe. Some funny parts, other sweet parts. And the return of Martel (I'm not fond of the name Marta...).

However I really am looking forward to next week. smile.gif
DZBrick6
This one was interesting, to say the least. Yeah, the alchemy fight between the two was funny as hell, but truly I loved the reaction to the wrecked tractor...yeah, great, Ed, blame it on everybody other than your own lousy driving skills...and then he wanted to get a car???? EGADS, general populace, find a safe place AWAY from the sidewalks when this kid comes through.
Nepharski
"What are you going to alchemize today Edward?"
"Whatever I feel like alchemizing, GOSH!"

Meh, this episode was okay. Thought it was a little on the cheesy and obvious side (A fortunate rarity in the series). On the bright side, Martel returned (I don't care how they say it, I'm going with Martel).
TheVileOne
QUOTE(anonymouse @ Dec 4 2005, 10:50 AM) [snapback]324096[/snapback]

Are you really sure? Maybe you need to go back and take a closer look wink.gif .
The Thunder Alchemist
Some very important things were revealed in this episode:

One, Ed may be in denial, but Al knows that the Furhra's secretary is their "mistake". This is shown by his "sooner or later we will have to go after he" line followed by the montage of the times he has seen Sloth.

Two, Sloth, like Lust, retains memories of "her" past life, as is shown by her hesitiation when Winry says that she is Ed's and Al's mom.

Three, the Furhra's secretary is... AN ALIEN ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

On a different note, how did Sloth know the phone line was tapped?
Alphonse Elric101
I don't like seeing ed and Al fight
[SPOILER] for a moment I thought they were in the town where they saw their father again, that would really send sparks flying[/SPOILER]
It almost seemed like they were never going to make up,though the alchemy fight was awsome.
That flash back Ed had was sad too.
anonymouse
QUOTE(ibshafer @ Dec 4 2005, 08:43 AM) [snapback]324107[/snapback]
Am curious why Al would mind Marta going after the Sins, unless he was worried about what the vengence thing would do to Marta. Or does he think there's good in them there hummunuli?

If I were in Al's place, I would be afraid that Marta is being somewhat suicidal (the "I'm going to keep fighting harder and harder until someone finally kills me"-type suicidal). I mean, Marta's strong, but even she has to realize that she's not even close to being a match for the Homunculi. Though I'm glad to see her back in the story (and joining Team Elric), I'm afraid she's not going to last much longer like this.
Snake-Alchemist
damn thats good, the fight at the beggining reminds me of me and my little bro, no matter how much crap we give eachother we always end up on square one. Hmmm, i would give that marta chick the information, and let here kill the homonculi for me, then ditch her once we get where were goin.
Alphonse Elric101
I don't get why Alphonse won't let Marta help them after all,The Homunculi are the Elrics enimes too,maybe Al's afraid That Mara will kill the Homunculus that Looks like Trisha.hmmmm<_<
Jen_Elric
This episode was so good! I loved how Ed's hair was all poofy, and he was so serious!
And that fight was cool and funny; i also liked the flashback and how later on, when Ed found Al, they acted like they did when they were kids.
And now they are teamed up with Martel (I know that in the dub, it's Marta, but it's really Martel). Lets' see what happens next!
anonymouse
QUOTE(Alphonse Elric101 @ Dec 4 2005, 07:29 PM) [snapback]324438[/snapback]

I don't get why Alphonse won't let Marta help them after all,The Homunculi are the Elrics enimes too,maybe Al's afraid That Mara will kill the Homunculus that Looks like Trisha.hmmmm<_<

I doubt that Al thinks Marta is capable of killing any of the Homunculi. They're simply too powerful for her. Al just thinks that vengeance is evil, and he doesn't want her to walk down a ruinous path.
Tombow
Yap, Al is not in denial about Sloth!! ohmy.gif

About Marta (I personally like "Martel" better!!).... in the previous episode where all of her buddies got killed, they wanted her to stay hid inside Al's armor, so that at least she would survive while others were all getting killed. I think Greed also asked Al to keep her stay inside and don't let her come out, because Greed and others wanted her to survive and live on. Instead, Martel is going for revenge, and throwing her life away that way. And, I think that's what Al is being against. (And, I agree with Al.) happy.gif

QUOTE(The Thunder Alchemist @ Dec 4 2005, 03:47 PM) [snapback]324284[/snapback]

On a different note, how did Sloth know the phone line was tapped?

@The Thunder Alchemist - I think because the phone line had unsusual amount of interferring noise.

@the_lightning_alchemist10 - Sorry you missed the show!! I'm not good at making the summary, but fortunately, this board has the episode guide (choose "detailed guide"): Episode guide for ep 38
Hope that helps. happy.gif

@The Fuzzy Alchemist - Thanks for the supersized screen cap!!
Nega FMA
I loved the part where Ed looked like he had a fro. best scene EVA! oh...hi...im new....even though i've snuck and saw the last episode......

yearrh...I won't spoil it since i had no idea what was going on anyways.
fMa_nv92
This episode was pretty good, it was funny when Sceiszka said that the Fuhrer's
secretary is probably an alien..i was crackin up!!^^...too bad it didn't show Roy...
I cannot wait til the next episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oh, yea...and when Ed had the fro...hhaahahah.. biggrin.gif
anonymouse
I'm enjoying Winry's part in the story a lot more now that she's not just tagging along with the Elrics like in the Southern arc. I think that it's probably a bad idea if they go back to Scieszka's house or the Hughes home right now, as I would expect Sloth to continue her attempts to "take care" of them. They might be better off leaving town.
Tombow
QUOTE(anonymouse @ Dec 6 2005, 12:10 AM) [snapback]325130[/snapback]

I'm enjoying Winry's part in the story a lot more now that she's not just tagging along with the Elrics like in the Southern arc. ...

I agree. Good to see Winry growing up, and starts taking charge on her own. And, nice to see Winry and Sceska becoming friends. happy.gif

I also feel that Al is growing up...
niagra flame
QUOTE(Tombow @ Dec 3 2005, 11:32 PM) [snapback]324011[/snapback]

ya its always good to see familiar faces although its was a little confusing i havent seen some of the new episode i need to know wats happening 'gets very confused because he is not smart wen it comes to anime' blink.gif

QUOTE(Nega FMA @ Dec 5 2005, 08:04 PM) [snapback]325016[/snapback]

I loved the part where Ed looked like he had a fro. best scene EVA! oh...hi...im new....even though i've snuck and saw the last episode......

yearrh...I won't spoil it since i had no idea what was going on anyways.

so you are new here well so am i but i watch fullmetal all the time its a complicated show if you want to see it its on mondays through wednesdays in central i think its eleven on other time zones and its on adult swim if not its on channel 296 i think for direct tv biggrin.gif
Ed_Elric_Fan
Pretty good episode, loved the afro-ed part, and the alchemy fight was great too. I was cracking up before Sciezka said the alien part because of the look on their faces.
Dreakon
Lol, I couldnt help myself:

(Warning, swear words!)
Al don't take no @&*#!
TheVileOne
I like how even though Al's the young brother he's always bigger than Ed and always beats Ed up.
Jen_Elric
HAHAHA!!!XDXD
Dreakon, that's so funny and cute! I always love the flashbacks to when they were kids.
Dreakon
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Dec 8 2005, 09:10 PM) [snapback]326463[/snapback]

HAHAHA!!!XDXD
Dreakon, that's so funny and cute! I always love the flashbacks to when they were kids.

Glad someone else thought so. laugh.gif
ed's numbuh 1 fan
^^^ awww that was cute i love the cutscenes when they were little too happy.gif i also love the little instrumental version of Bratja it just add that special touch laugh.gif

i really wish i could have seen Edo with a fro :'(
anonymouse
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Dec 8 2005, 08:06 PM) [snapback]326459[/snapback]

I like how even though Al's the young brother he's always bigger than Ed and always beats Ed up.

Yeah, I didn't notice it until the flashbacks during the Izumi episodes, but Al was definitely taller than Ed back then. It's funny that the show's running joke about Ed's height goes back that far.

Not really a spoiler, just personal speculation:
[spoiler]I thought it would be hilarious that, if Al does get his body back at the end of the story, 14-year old Al turns out to be about a foot taller than Ed.[/spoiler]
TheVileOne
I think there was a sort of small little flashback thing where you see Ed and Al's heights being measured by marks on a tree. Al is clearly taller and has a bragging expression on his face while Ed is in tears.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i have that pic i just don't feel looking for it ^^;;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.