Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love And Age
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2
Smoke Alchemist
I am confused about this. Obviously depending on the persons age it shouldn't really matter right? I have had this disscussion with a few people in the past week and have gotten different answers. So now i want to hear yours! Please post what you chose and why!

I look forward to hearing some of your answers.

*If this is the wrong place for this please move it, Thanks* wink.gif

I chose i don't know, because really this confuses me so.

<Edited to give more accurately worded question/poll choices. smile.gif ~ Board staff>
Kyros
No it shouldn't matter ^^ I don't see why people can't be together if they love each other just because of their age, that's pretty stupid >.>;
Carnal Malefactor
No, but there's a limit.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
All in all I don't think age matters that much for adults mind you. I perfer to date people who are my age or older because I think they will be as mature as I am but immaturity and maturity can happen at any age. My ex was older than myself but was very immature so it's definitelly not a rule I can count on.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Dec 1 2005, 03:00 PM) [snapback]322590[/snapback]

No, but there's a limit.

yeah i agree with that

i voted i don't know because no, i don't think it should matter if you love someone older or younger then you, but yet it IS a little weird when like a 78 year old guy marries a 20 year old. but thats just my opinion...
Smoke Alchemist
Intresting. This brings to mind Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ Dec 1 2005, 04:16 PM) [snapback]322606[/snapback]

Intresting. This brings to mind Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore.

Or a certain other Hollywood marriage that shall remain nameless...
Toby-Chan
Depends. If the individuals are both adults of the same relative maturity level, then I don't see myself as one to judge. They could very easily be able to relate to eachother, have similar life views, and otherwise see eachother as equal, even when that isn't chronologically so.

It is bad, however, when it comes to children. I don't think there are many who would disagree on that level, though. blink.gif
Smoke Alchemist
Yes, you all make real valid points. I agree with the children thing. There is definetly a borderline. Some people don't see a problem with that though *Shudders*

Anything goes in Hollywood! LOL
Celestial Shadow
I think...that there are certain limits. Like a sixteen year old shouldn't be dating an eighty year old. But I also think that some people may have been truly meant for each other, and in a rare, special case like that, age shouldn't matter at all.

Also, socially, some ages just seem wrong. It really depends on the maturity and compatibility of the people though, but it's really best to stick within three years of yourself as a young person I believe.
Toby-Chan
There's also the gray area involving teenagers in mixed generation relationships... In some rare cases, that might be perfectly healthy for them, although I think sometimes we give teens far more credit than they deserve. (Speaking from a teenager's point of view.) But if there is some rare mature young adult who decides to have a relationship with an adult who respects them and considers them an equal level peer (ie; not just taking advantage of hormonal highschoolers), then I don't see why not.
Tombow
I, too think there is a limit.

Demi and Ashton, I have no problem with it, I guess I can take Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart, but I draw line at Anna Nicole Smith marrying J. Howard Marshall. laugh.gif
(He was 80ish when he proposed then 19 year old stripper in Houston, I think.)

I'm also not very comfortable with older adults dating teenagers.
I feel like those older adults are taking advantage of the young minds.

Otherwise, if two are consenting adults, and both of them are happy with each other, I'm pretty open-minded about it.
zombie
I think kids should have a limit but thats it.
Terra_Nomie
Why should age matter? If someone loves someone else, then age doens't matter. It's as simple as that!
Ed Elrich
It depends on the persons age. Alot of people would say that you cant be more than 5 years older, but to me it really doesnt matter if its true love.
Le Monkey
If its ment to be, it will happen, if its nt, then it wont..
simple
Smoke Alchemist
Yes, but like in the example of Joel and hillary Duff. I don't know why I had such a problem with this when they were first going out. Now that she is 18 I don't have a problem with it anymore. Does anyone else think that is weird? *looks around*
zombie
I was thinking more along the lines of a 6 months old going out with a 10 year old
Smoke Alchemist
Man Zombie! Thats like really bad...LOL
Chiyo
Old man with young wife - she's after his money
15 years old with middle aged man - pervert
Old woman with young man - toyboy

At least that is the stereotypes, but I do believe if you're in love it doesn't matter. The above examples are not people in love obviously.
Kyros
hehe Smoke you reminded me of something I saw in a person's sig on a forum once:

God made rivers
God made snakes
God made Hilary Duff
We all make mistakes

roflmao mean hehe
Smoke Alchemist
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Dec 2 2005, 05:01 PM) [snapback]323255[/snapback]

15 years old with middle aged man - pervert
Old woman with young man - toyboy

At least that is the stereotypes, but I do believe if you're in love it doesn't matter. The above examples are not people in love obviously.

I thought you were going to do a master card joke...LMAO!

@ Kyros that hilary thing is funny
Tombow
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Dec 2 2005, 07:01 PM) [snapback]323255[/snapback]

And, (if she's reasonably pretty,) the guy scored the trophy wife. rolleyes.gif

Envy's lil' miniskirt
Thats true, it works both ways.
edsgirl
I like to wait until they're no longer jailbait. Then I move in for the kill. wink.gif
Sometimes I go for the 16 or 17 y/o, but their birthdays have to be within 1 or 2 months.

All joking aside, I don't think that it really matters as long as the people involved love each other. Of course, there are going to be exceptions.
Smoke Alchemist
I notice everyone seems to be in agreement over this. I don't think there has been one post that has been negitive regarding age. biggrin.gif
staystill
too late smoke, lol jk
but i think its wrong to be like 20 and going out with a 60 year old!
i just dont see that, but if its true love, then maybe. but still, its so weird and crazy.

ill go for someone (max) 5 years older. but i sorta dont know
Fan_Alchemist
Nah, it shouldn't matter nor should height. But don't go out dating someone whose like twenty years older than you. happy.gif

Sesshy_Kurama_Bakura
I basically agree with everyone else. When two people are dating, I draw the line at 20 years age difference. For myself, I try to get younger than 5 years older than me. Does that make sense? xD
Tombow
Another thing... the age difference might get less of a significant factor as people get older..

I mean, when I was in a grade school, anyone one year older than me looked like so much more mature than me, but later on, one year older than me was like, nothing. XDDD

So, with that in mind, my new rule of thum, or, my comfortable zone, for maximum age difference (if such thing exists! XD ) for anyone above legal marriage age..

the maximum age difference = age of that person.

For example, if someone is 20 years old, then maximum age difference is 20 years, and that makes the maximum age for the partner of that person to be 40 years old, for 25 years old person, maximum age for the partner is 50 years old, and so on.

I think it's generous enough?? rolleyes.gif

(Of course, if two people who are outside of this age range, and are truly in love with each other, then there isn't anything I can, or should say to them about the age difference to change their minds... ) happy.gif
Kyros
Well, after a while, it's normally an issue of maturity and personality rather than age too. I'd rather be with a girl that's lik 5-10 years older/younger that's with me with that stuff instead of a girl that's the same age who's not with me at all in those categories.
Fan_Alchemist
QUOTE(Sesshy_Kurama_Bakura @ Dec 5 2005, 12:28 AM) [snapback]324571[/snapback]

I basically agree with everyone else. When two people are dating, I draw the line at 20 years age difference. For myself, I try to get younger than 5 years older than me. Does that make sense? xD

I think it does. My parents are 5 years apart and almost been together for 19 years.
Tombow
QUOTE(Kyros @ Dec 5 2005, 02:42 AM) [snapback]324688[/snapback]

Well, after a while, it's normally an issue of maturity and personality rather than age too.

I agree. That's so true.happy.gif
Smoke Alchemist
I second that emotion!
animefangirl
QUOTE(le monkey @ Dec 2 2005, 04:35 PM) [snapback]323186[/snapback]

If its ment to be, it will happen, if its nt, then it wont..
simple

agrees
Smoke Alchemist
Makes you wonder how the parents will react though...No?
TheFlameAlchemist
Not really, my mom and my dad were 12 yrs apart, and they loved the crap out of each other! I say loved cause dad is deceased.
and so what about age? Seniors flirt with me all the time, and i'm a freshman! looking to mabye date one (wish me luck). if you love someone age isn't a factor, its stuff that matters, like thier personality, hotness, popularity, and wealth, thats what matters (no it isnt kids, just pullin yer leg) laugh.gif
staystill
ok i aggree, but i wont go for more than 10. it just doesnt stick with me.
thats just my limit.

by: Tombow Posted Dec 5 2005, 02:21 AM: I mean, when I was in a grade school, anyone one year older than me looked like so much more mature than me, but later on, one year older than me was like, nothing. XDDD

i no what you mean, its a big difference. but right now im a freshmen but theres like no difference between freshmen to maybe juniors. some difference but not a lot.

well right now its like 3 years on max/desprate/crazy for her. but when im older, then 10
Smoke Alchemist
I am inclined to agree with y'all! I know there is an influx of older women dating younger men...I just now found out about keanu reeves and that actress who name escapes me just now. She was in as good as it gets with him. There is almost 20 yrs there. But love is love I guess...Viva amore! LOL biggrin.gif
seventh_sky
As long as it's not like, 40 year olds dating 10 year olds (you get my point), then I really don't see anything wrong with an age gap in a relationship. I don't have a boyfriend, but several of the people I'm good friends with are about 6-7 years older than me, and it really doesn't make much of a difference.
Smoke Alchemist
Why is it ok for a man to date a younger women but when a female dates a younger man people frown upon it? *Shrugs*
blackrider76
Not REally
but i do believe there should be a limit to the age difference.
Tombow
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ Dec 8 2005, 09:49 PM) [snapback]326538[/snapback]

Why is it ok for a man to date a younger women but when a female dates a younger man people frown upon it? *Shrugs*

Not me!! I say right on!! laugh.gif
I think older men frown on it because they are jealous and/or envious. XDD
kaizenyorii
so long as the age difference isnt over 15 years about i think its ok. but personally ive never dated someone older or younger than me by a year
Kyros
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ Dec 8 2005, 10:49 PM) [snapback]326538[/snapback]

It's the stereotypical double-standard that society still has some people. Guys are sometimes given more credit (or whatever) by certain people, which isn't right *sigh*
Laffe
no IT doesen`t matter..
Smoke Alchemist
Wonder what an older person over 40 would say in regards to this topic.

Wonder who the 3 people were who voted it was wrong? They didnt share there feelings.
Sleeping Forest
...it really doesn't matter, but for me it would be weird if i dated someone too old...
caerulcis
Smoke Alchemist
I work with 2 people one is 27 and his fiancee is 35. One is 57 and his wife is 37 LOL! I think more people are finding it ok...but yeah 40 yrs woud be mondo gross...LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.