Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ed And Roy's Relationship: The Conclusion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
vfdj42
How do you think Ed's relationship with Roy reads out at the end of the series? (Even at the end of the series, there's stuff left to interpret; I don't know what, exactly, happens between them in the movie)
I don't think Ed really hates Roy, but I don't think it's the "omg i luv u lets cuddle" type love or that Ed would consider Roy a father-figure--a scenerio a lot of fanfic writers seem to support. I'd like to think Ed matures enough to appreciate Roy, but their external attitudes torwards each other wouldn't change.
Taking aside what Happens at the end of the series (the big, life changing things,) and looking only at the characters, fics where Ed and Roy get married, have children, it's impossible without a hell of a lot of explaining, character development, etc. Even a "Ed's just hiding his real feelings throughout the entire series" card isn't really plausible in such fics where Ed is shamelessly snogging Roy in public. OOC, any way you slice it.
kokoro_shadow_angel
QUOTE(vfdj42 @ Nov 30 2005, 07:34 PM) [snapback]322255[/snapback]

How do you think Ed's relationship with Roy reads out at the end of the series? (Even at the end of the series, there's stuff left to interpret; I don't know what, exactly, happens between them in the movie)
I don't think Ed really hates Roy, but I don't think it's the "omg i luv u lets cuddle" type love or that Ed would consider Roy a father-figure--a scenerio a lot of fanfic writers seem to support. I'd like to think Ed matures enough to appreciate Roy, but their external attitudes torwards each other wouldn't change.
Taking aside what Happens at the end of the series (the big, life changing things,) and looking only at the characters, fics where Ed and Roy get married, have children, it's impossible without a hell of a lot of explaining, character development, etc. Even a "Ed's just hiding his real feelings throughout the entire series" card isn't really plausible in such fics where Ed is shamelessly snogging Roy in public. OOC, any way you slice it.

amen...

plus, let's take into account the fact that roy is 29 and ed is 15...that's a 14 year age difference...married and have kids? i don't think so...

its definitely the father/son relationship type...ed never really had much of a father figure in his life since hohenheim left the family when he was so young...then he grew up with winry and pinako then later trained with izumi...

roy mustang's definitely their "military father"...he does care about ed...he didn't want to tell ed about hughs' death for the reasons parents tell us "your hamster went to summer camp"...okay so ed doesn't seem to get along with him very well...tell me this: how many of you get along perfectly well with your parents? plus, whenever ed needed a push or nudge, wasn't mustang always there to give it to him (if not winry)?

now as for the movie....
[spoiler]
roy was all emo because he was afraid that ed might be dead, yet he still believed he was alive somewhere out there. even his ex-subordinates figured he was waiting for ed...and not for riza (royai fans like me are now disappointed)... and when al left to join his brother, mustang seemed to let him go without a fight...what does that have to do with ed? he was a father to both of the brothers...i guess he just wanted to see them fly out of the nest for himself.
[/spoiler]

hehe...i could tell the whole time roy cared for ed even through all the teasing...i just knew it was the parental kind...and if you want proof of that, read the manga because its more evident there...
vfdj42
Episode 43 provides massive evidence of Roy's protectiveness. Roy's feeling is sort of obvious (apparently not to Ed, who always insists Roy's just a bastard.) I think their relationship is part father-son, part brotherly.

Thanks for your comments, kokoro.
Full Metal Elf
Haha...I love their relationship...it's so funny. They act like they hate each other, but it's so true that Roy sees them like sons, especially at the end of the series.

Episode 48...

[spoiler]I LOVE this episode, and the last 5 minutes are so sad, but so wonderful between Ed and Roy. It's sad when they say farewell to each other at the last moment, but it's also nice *sob*. [/spoiler]

The Great Asparagus
omg. just before i actually voted i was debating with myself whether i should put "playful animosity" or "cares about him but doesn't show it" and then i picked one, and then after that i realized that i forgot which one i picked. sleep.gif

playful animosity because it's PLAYFUL and ed still acts like he despises him, which could also be like caring but not showing it... cuz i suppose in the end, ed does care about mustang some bit after all their fun life-threatening experiences throughout the manga and the anime, and mustang was pretty helpful. they just tease eachother terribly, but it's in a sweet way. happy.gif
Colette
I believe Ed likes him in a comepletely straight way, and Roy likes Ed the same. Maybe a brotherly type thing?
Sleeping Forest
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Dec 11 2005, 11:59 AM) [snapback]328001[/snapback]

I believe Ed likes him in a comepletely straight way, and Roy likes Ed the same. Maybe a brotherly type thing?

totally agree.
Toby-Chan
Roy loves Ed. As a person. Period.

Ed sees a little of that, and is still annoyed by the protective limits Roy puts on him.

There's still mutual love/respect between them.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Common you guys know it's all about the buttsecks! tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Envy @ Dec 12 2005, 12:16 AM) [snapback]328410[/snapback]

Common you guys know it's all about the buttsecks! tongue.gif

laugh.gif Leave that kind of conclusion to Mini. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
Lily Chang
I think the 2nd choice is more of "the other way around". ^^"

I think Ed and Roy's reelationship is just between management and labor. ^^"

Or is it? o_O
Toby-Chan
Somewhat pertaining to this thread, I had a random thought about the train of relationships and love going on in the show. Alphonse loves and protects anyone he can; namely those who are too weak to care for themselves. Edward loves and Protects Alphonse with his life and all of his waking energy. Roy loves and protects Edward through the facade of officiality. Hawkeye loves and protects Roy with her loyalty and grounding constant presence. Hawkeye stands at the top of the love chain.

Then, of course there are all sorts of little spiderweb connections within the 'love chain'. Hughes loves and protects both Roy and The Elric brothers, and he is loved and supported by his family. Izumi loves and protects the elrics as well, and visa versa. Pinako and Winry care for the Elrics and anyone who needs their help. Edward often leaves behind some legacy of tough love for those he believes are hurting as he has been hurt, such as Rose. Martel loves and protects Alphonse, and visa versa, and exists to do so because Greed loves(d) and protects(ed) the chimarae on some level. Scar hates most people, but protects the weak, including people like Rose and Alphonse because he can relate to them. He was loved and protected by his brother.
There's just a whole lot of love and strength pulsing through the relationships in FMA and that's why I love it. smile.gif

(/totally pointless rambling)
AA battery
QUOTE(Lily Chang @ Dec 16 2005, 10:35 PM) [snapback]330392[/snapback]

I think the 2nd choice is more of "the other way around". ^^"

I think Ed and Roy's reelationship is just between management and labor. ^^"

Or is it? o_O

agree that it should be more like the other way around for the second choice...

and also agreed that Ed (and maybe Al too) and Roy are only parental/brotherly.

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 17 2005, 11:44 AM) [snapback]330593[/snapback]

Somewhat pertaining to this thread, I had a random thought about the train of relationships and love going on in the show. Alphonse loves and protects anyone he can; namely those who are too weak to care for themselves. Edward loves and Protects Alphonse with his life and all of his waking energy. Roy loves and protects Edward through the facade of officiality. Hawkeye loves and protects Roy with her loyalty and grounding constant presence. Hawkeye stands at the top of the love chain.

Then, of course there are all sorts of little spiderweb connections within the 'love chain'. Hughes loves and protects both Roy and The Elric brothers, and he is loved and supported by his family. Izumi loves and protects the elrics as well, and visa versa. Pinako and Winry care for the Elrics and anyone who needs their help. Edward often leaves behind some legacy of tough love for those he believes are hurting as he has been hurt, such as Rose. Martel loves and protects Alphonse, and visa versa, and exists to do so because Greed loves(d) and protects(ed) the chimarae on some level. Scar hates most people, but protects the weak, including people like Rose and Alphonse because he can relate to them. He was loved and protected by his brother.
There's just a whole lot of love and strength pulsing through the relationships in FMA and that's why I love it. smile.gif

(/totally pointless rambling)

lmao XD You made my day.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Dec 17 2005, 09:40 PM) [snapback]330794[/snapback]
lmao XD You made my day.

Wait, does that insinuate that my theories are laughable? *Emos in the corner*
sumflip
Ed doesn't hate roy. He cares about roy, but just doesn't show it lol. They're guys what do you expect?
Ladymercury
Its on a brotherly relationship. No butsechs. No omfgihateyouiwillkillj0000000. None of that. Its respect on the levels of brothership because they are so a like.
Dilara
[size=3][color=#33CCFF] Um, hi, I'm new and saw your poll. Well, I'm sorta half and half on this. I mean, Roy and Ed act like they hate each other but I think deep down they really care for one another. I think Roy sees Ed maybe as a son or little brother.
kokoro_shadow_angel
QUOTE(sumflip @ Dec 18 2005, 06:54 AM) [snapback]330914[/snapback]

Ed doesn't hate roy. He cares about roy, but just doesn't show it lol. They're guys what do you expect?

bingo...can't find any other way to put it

QUOTE(Ladymercury @ Dec 18 2005, 01:06 PM)

Its on a brotherly relationship. No butsechs. No omfgihateyouiwillkillj0000000. None of that. Its respect on the levels of brothership because they are so a like.

yeah...and like i mentioned the 14 year age difference...
roy would get into heaps of trouble if he ever did that with ed considering ed's a minor...besides, they're relationship's a mix of father and brother....

like sirius black and harry from harry potter
fMa_nv92
I think they are like father and son..because sometimes Roy is too
over-protected about Ed..also..kinda like brothers...but more like
father and son.....but it does kinda seem like Ed reaLLy hates Roy a lot...
but I'm guessing he really doesn't...^^
Frazzie
The parental vibe is coming purely from Roy's end. He does treat Ed like a brother, but the foundation of his feelings is of the fatherly variety.

And Ed doesn't think of Roy as a parent. It's more of a peer thing. Ed doesn't look up to nor down upon Roy, instead choosing to treat him as an equal.

Anyhow, their relationship is awesome. If it was different, they would both be OOC and their interaction would suck lyke woah.
AA battery
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 17 2005, 10:24 PM) [snapback]330860[/snapback]

lmao XD You made my day.

No, they are not laughable. I love your humourous tone, that's all. happy.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Dec 19 2005, 01:15 AM) [snapback]331255[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 17 2005, 10:24 PM) [snapback]330860[/snapback]

lmao XD You made my day.

No, they are not laughable. I love your humourous tone, that's all. happy.gif

Hm. mellow.gif I have been told that I have odd views on things... do you suppose people often find my thoughts humorous...?

I suppose the 'love chain' heirarchy is somewhat... different. But it makes sense, dang it! *Shakefish*

PS/on-topic... ish--

Does anyone else think that Edward's future toddler son jumping on Roy and shouting "GUMPA!" is the cutest thing EVAR?! (I saw the most adorable fan art, and I had to mention it somewhere)
TheFlameAlchemist
This is how I see it. Roy knew Ed's Dad. Ed's Dad never loved Ed. Ed feels depressed. Ed's Mom dies. Ed tries to resurect Mom. Ed loses appendages. Roy shows up. Roy Pities Ed. Roy doesn't show it. Roy Acts in substitution for Ed's Father...

THEREFORE!...

Roy = Ed's Dad! ph34r.gif

And Ed's first son by Winry on Roy's lap Saying "Gumpa" Is So Friggin CUTE!
Flamable
I think I only need to say that my favorite pairing is Edward & Roy, I like it, although I know it's never going to happen even in my wildest dreams, I can keep dreaming.^^ So I think they care about eachother ALOT!
Red Shadow
I hate in when people insist that Ed and roy hate each other. They don't love each other romantically either. They just care about one another in a weird familial way. You spend enough time having to look after a person, you are going to come to care for them in some way. I don't think they'd hook up, but I do think that they have a good authority/conflict relationship, that keeps them arguing and protecting one another.
kokoro_shadow_angel
i'm with ya on the familial caring thing....

think about it...even if ed thinks of roy as a brother and not as a father, how many of you want to have butsecks with your brothers?

and for any fathers out there, what makes you think roy would want to do anything like that with his son-figure?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(TheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 19 2005, 10:06 PM) [snapback]331641[/snapback]

Okay... I *have* to link it. It's insuffrably cute.

Gumpa! (*Dies*)

*Dies again from the dadsy cuteness*
Tombow
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 27 2005, 02:21 PM) [snapback]334191[/snapback]

QUOTE(TheFlameAlchemist @ Dec 19 2005, 10:06 PM) [snapback]331641[/snapback]

Okay... I *have* to link it. It's insuffrably cute.

Gumpa! (*Dies*)

*Dies again from the dadsy cuteness*

OMG!! Ultimate cuteness!! "Dies!!*
Cozzer
I'm with the father/brother thing, but I'd like to add something.

In the beginning, it's definitively a father/son relationship : Roy tries to protect and "educate" Ed, who instead tries to prove he doesn't need a father and he's already an adult. (The "adult/kid" remarsk are quite common in their dialogues through the series)
Still, Ed can't prove himself better than Roy, since he seems to be always a step ahead of him. (Ep 13 is the perfect example for this)
In Ep48 their relationship finally changes :

Ed is really grown up, and Roy stops acting like a father. Ed stops being irritable to him, too. They talk as equals and their farewell is a friendly farewell. So I guess in the end their relationship isn't a father/son or a big/little brother one, but they're simply friends. I love that episode (like almost EVERY episode from FMA, after all)
windxalchemist
yEah. I agree with Cozzer.
I think I see why people see Roy Ed as a totally hate relationship, because Ed's view on a fatherly figure was disastrously marred when the bastard Hohenheim left them. Now I think he's kind of afraid to have this person who is in no way harming him whatsoever, and is doing everything in his power to help them, get closer to him and his brother because he's been hurt before. It's kind of like when someone has been beat often, everytime someone raises their hand they flinch, it's a reflex, not a conscious reaction. So, the best way to "retaliate" from Roy's fatherly behavior is by being a smart ass.

Also, the fact that he is in his adolescent years adds to it, a hormonal boy doesn't act sweet to any authority figure, and Roy's not going to sit around and let this kid kick insults in his face is he? After all, he is Colonel -I suppose Brigadier General now- Roy Mustang, Hero of the Eastern Rebellion, right? (Although I have NO idea whatsoever what being a war hero has to do with that). Right? lol..

Yeah, and Cozzer made a good insight. Ed and Roy's "hate" *cough cough* relationship just grew into a little friendship. Sure, Ed likes to ridicule Roy, and people like to judge him and all, but still. It became platonicized! *Looking up to see if that is a word*

-windxalchemist
MeLRizA
QUOTE(Cozzer @ Dec 29 2005, 11:21 PM) [snapback]334739[/snapback]

I'm with the father/brother thing, but I'd like to add something.

In the beginning, it's definitively a father/son relationship : Roy tries to protect and "educate" Ed, who instead tries to prove he doesn't need a father and he's already an adult. (The "adult/kid" remarsk are quite common in their dialogues through the series)
Still, Ed can't prove himself better than Roy, since he seems to be always a step ahead of him. (Ep 13 is the perfect example for this)
In Ep48 their relationship finally changes :

Ed is really grown up, and Roy stops acting like a father. Ed stops being irritable to him, too. They talk as equals and their farewell is a friendly farewell. So I guess in the end their relationship isn't a father/son or a big/little brother one, but they're simply friends. I love that episode (like almost EVERY episode from FMA, after all)

This is 100% correct~ laugh.gif I support your view, they're just military colleagues..
Nepharski
The fact that this thread was even necessary just makes me want to hit my head against a wall repeatedly.

They definitely feel more for each other than they let on, but I mean that as in comrodery and general welfare that almost anyone would feel towards anyone else. I don't think they look on it as a Father-Son relationship, but when you spend so much time knowing somebody, they kinda rub off on you.
Keoni
... the hell? blink.gif

Where did this old thread come from?
Anyway, *agrees with Nepharski* they've been through a lot together, ofcourse they feel for each other. And I'm sorry for the RoyxEd-fangirls, but no they don't feel for each other like that! happy.gif
Sword Alchemist
I like to see Roy and Ed's relationship as a father/son relationship.

In episode 43, Roy was angry because Ed ran away from his problems instead of coming to Roy for help. Roy sounded very much like a typical father when he was reprimanding Ed.

Miyuki-chan
I'm pretty sure that they really care for each other, but doesn't show it happy.gif
55th_animalalchemist
QUOTE(Nepharski @ May 31 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]403782[/snapback]

The fact that this thread was even necessary just makes me want to hit my head against a wall repeatedly.

They definitely feel more for each other than they let on, but I mean that as in comrodery and general welfare that almost anyone would feel towards anyone else. I don't think they look on it as a Father-Son relationship, but when you spend so much time knowing somebody, they kinda rub off on you.

That`s true they are like work or study partners that after all they become friends, Ed start to trust on Roy and them , after all they`ve been through they become friends.
_Jelly
Why isn't there an option that says something like "Just friends." "Or father-son-relationship"? Why? Can't two guys be friends? >< Well, I guess that's fangirls. FUllmetal Alchemist would never have RoyEd in it. But it doesnt matter.

Anyway, I voted other. I don't think they hate each other, they dont LOVE each other either. In the manga they definately don't hate each other, but in the anime it seems they're always fighting, I have know idea why that is. Anyway Father-Son I guess, mostly. After all, Roy's Eds superior and all, I guess that's kinda right. But they're not in love. Don't bother mentioning age, because no one cares about age in pairrings......
Dairy Product
I'm strongly against RoyxEd for that exact reason.

It's a love/hate relationship between them, I suppose. Ed tries to hide it, because it wouldn't seem "fair" to him to like Roy because Roy didn't treat him all that good in the begining, and Ed doesn't trust older men because his own father left him as a baby and he never really lost that "fear/disliking."
But yes, toward the end you really see that they do care for each other.
PUKE
First of all...
*pokes Nepharski* Koga~! <3 I love your avatar.~

Anyway, back on topic...

When people say "ROY IS NOT GAY" really pisses me off. It pisses me off when people say "Roy is not straight!" too. :/ He's just a cartoon. A mere (yet dead sexy) image that was just drawn off Miss Arakawa's fantasies. Does she ever state he's straight or gay? No. The hints that are given of him being heterosexual is his obsession with women. Yet, people -act- as if Roy's sexual orientation is serious. Omg, I mean get a life people. D:

As for me, I find it so sexy when Roy and Ed don't get along. Which, in my opinion, calls for hot messy bondage. :D
Nil-chan
It's definatly a brotherly/father/son relationship... im not gonna repeat what everyone said, but i agree with most of it. They care about each other, but there is no romance in there. I love the friendish relationship they have, it's so much fun, which is why i guess it bothers me when someone takes it to the romanic level.
FMA4ever
They totally care for each other, but they care for each other on the inside! happy.gif Cause Roy has always been a father figure towards Ed (and Al). So yeah...... biggrin.gif
Untitled
It just seems to be a father/brother/ whatever relationship..
*sorry royxed fans*

They're too casual with each other!
Roy Jr.
Before I vote...

What's playful animosity?
unsure.gif
Kasumi_lvgd
I don't think that Ed and Roy would ever consider their relationship as father and son xD But at least for me, it looks that way...
And there's a moment where they start being friends and the father/son thing is over smile.gif

Of course, Roy still worries about Ed. And that's where that infamous scene of the movie apears xD
I admit that when I saw it...I thought "OMG! RoyxEd! xDDDD"
But again, I don't think their relationship could ever be in that way...

And at least for me, it's a little disturbing O_O I mean...Ed is 15, and Roy is almost 30?!
Seeing all those EdxRoy doujins that include every way imaginable of sex...makes me shudder >.< >.<
FMA4ever
QUOTE(Kasumi_lvgd @ Jul 25 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]425489[/snapback]

And at least for me, it's a little disturbing O_O I mean...Ed is 15, and Roy is almost 30?!
Seeing all those EdxRoy doujins that include every way imaginable of sex...makes me shudder >.< >.<

Yeah, it's kinda like pedofile. (Did I spell that right?)
22-250
I don't watch the anime, but in the manga, they kinda could care less about the other, but know and respect each other.
AnImE-lOvEr-FMA
well I think they both respect each other..i think they apreciate each other also the only thing is that thay don't show this affections..well thats what i think

happy.gif
Roy Mustard
QUOTE(kokoro_shadow_angel @ Dec 1 2005, 02:30 PM) [snapback]322378[/snapback]

QUOTE(vfdj42 @ Nov 30 2005, 07:34 PM) [snapback]322255[/snapback]

amen...

plus, let's take into account the fact that roy is 29 and ed is 15...that's a 14 year age difference...married and have kids? i don't think so...

its definitely the father/son relationship type...ed never really had much of a father figure in his life since hohenheim left the family when he was so young...then he grew up with winry and pinako then later trained with izumi...

roy mustang's definitely their "military father"...he does care about ed...he didn't want to tell ed about hughs' death for the reasons parents tell us "your hamster went to summer camp"...okay so ed doesn't seem to get along with him very well...tell me this: how many of you get along perfectly well with your parents? plus, whenever ed needed a push or nudge, wasn't mustang always there to give it to him (if not winry)?

now as for the movie....
[spoiler]
roy was all emo because he was afraid that ed might be dead, yet he still believed he was alive somewhere out there. even his ex-subordinates figured he was waiting for ed...and not for riza (royai fans like me are now disappointed)... and when al left to join his brother, mustang seemed to let him go without a fight...what does that have to do with ed? he was a father to both of the brothers...i guess he just wanted to see them fly out of the nest for himself.
[/spoiler]

hehe...i could tell the whole time roy cared for ed even through all the teasing...i just knew it was the parental kind...and if you want proof of that, read the manga because its more evident there...

I agree about the parent thing, Roy sure treats him like a son sometimes.
Shadow Wulfe
It's an older friend-younger friend relationship.
They're good friends but not PEER friends because they're in completely different age groups. Roy treats Ed like a younger guy who isn't as well versed as him. This behavior can get on Ed's nerves but doesn't change the fact that they support each other.
daylight
Roy has effectively taken Ed "Under his wing". I would go so far as to say he tried to be a father figure. Roy obviously cares about the boys. This much is shown over and over in everythign Roy does. Every decision Roy makes is him watching out for the Elrics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.