Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Al's Movie Outfit
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Antimony
For me having Al dress up in Ed's old clothes didn't fit his character at all. Al strikes me as the conservative type, happy to let Ed take the spotlight. Red and black stands out too much and Al doesn't like to stand out, not even when he is seven feet of steel and spikes. It's like they thought Al wasn't interesting enough just being himself, and that we'd like him better if he looked and acted more like Ed. He looks like a younger version of his big brother then his own person, and being the hopeless Al fangirl that I am that doesn't sit well with me.

Feel to disagree or argue with me, that's what this thread is for!
Fan_Alchemist
I've come to neither agrue or agree. It's true Al would have been just fine in a pair of slacks, some shoes, and a regular shirt, but I still notice him either way and like his character.

I'm neutral.
Dingbat
He was fine, but by wearing Ed's lookalike clothes he smells of brother complex -___-''

I would've preferred Al to cut his hair short and wear some button up shirts. But then again he might look exactly like Heiderich.
animefangirl
i really dont care, either way hes still al,now if his personality would change by what he is wearing ...
Antimony
I found a clip of the movie's ending and I'm pleasantly surprised that Al has cut his hair short and changed his clothes. (And he is now taller then Ed again! Yay!) This goes along with the idea that Al was dressing like Ed before as part of his plan to find him again, and now that they are together he no longer has to do that. Thank goodness!
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I think Al started dressing like Ed to feel closer to him since Ed was no longer around. Remember they were very close.
Mystique
actually first time i saw the poster of the pair of them, i was kidna freaked out when i realised it was Al in the red coat, cause it looked like Ed, but something was off...

although what Al did have was a hoody and that was a cool entrance in the movie, something Ed didn't have tongue.gif

as for now i'm cool with it, Ed turned brown, Al turned red happy.gif
MasterKris
I LUV AL IN THE MOVIE~!! HIS APPERANCE AS ED IS AWFULLY KAWAII~!!
And best of all, Al uses the hoodie. No questions asked.

I would've preferred Al to cut his hair short and wear some button up shirts. But then again he might look exactly like Heiderich.

He does look just like him... at the end...not so much kawaii...
kokoro_shadow_angel
i liked it...kinda showed how close they were as brothers...

besides, al looked WAY hotter in that coat than ed ever did *gets shot*
The Great Asparagus
ah... it was really cool. al sorta has his own version of ed's clothes cuz they're slightly different. but i wonder how he came up with it? because he didn't have any memories of his brother after all that, or maybe someone made his clothes for him, but... i have no idea. i think it shows their brotherly bond and how they're sorta always with eachother (even in a way like this) and it's like he's following his footsteps and everything. i like it. happy.gif
Haruneko_Pichu
QUOTE(The Great Asparagus @ Dec 4 2005, 11:09 PM) [snapback]324534[/snapback]

ah... it was really cool. al sorta has his own version of ed's clothes cuz they're slightly different. but i wonder how he came up with it? because he didn't have any memories of his brother after all that, or maybe someone made his clothes for him, but... i have no idea. i think it shows their brotherly bond and how they're sorta always with eachother (even in a way like this) and it's like he's following his footsteps and everything. i like it. happy.gif

On the wall of pictures that Winry has had a pic of Ed in his clothes with Nina. Maybe he saw a few of those. Also, AL DOES LOOK HOTTER THAN ED IN THE RED COAT!

Isn't Ed taller than Al?
IPB Image
Al so soes not look hot with short hair. he is cuter with long hair. T.T
foolmetal alchemist
It may just be that Al is farther back in the picture, so he looks shorter. Also, Haruneko_Pichu, you may want to consider changing your siganture before a moderator has to. It's exceeding the limit of 500x300.
Antimony
I guess I'm in the minority here. Meh, it's cool. I just like my Restored!Al best as a tall guy with short hair. No matter what he's still adorable. wink.gif
kokoro_shadow_angel
QUOTE(Antimony @ Dec 5 2005, 08:50 PM) [snapback]325077[/snapback]

I guess I'm in the minority here. Meh, it's cool. I just like my Restored!Al best as a tall guy with short hair. No matter what he's still adorable. wink.gif

I LOVE HIS HAIR...if you ask me, he looked way cuter than ed ever did ^^
Singhay
I think the reason why they made Al dress up in Ed's clothes is because Ed compared to Al is on the bit wild side and more childish. I think they were trying to give Al that feel at that age. It makes you feel as Al has entered the naive teenager age wit the get-up.
Taskinst
i really don't know, i kind of wasnt thinking about it, still i don't know what he was trying to prove. Maybe he wore that outfit,so people would see that he had some kind of relation to ed.
Luna Alchemist
It looks better on Ed, but i did like Al wearing Ed clothes (Of course with some differences) I though it was a great touch.
Styx
I like Ed in his clothes and I like Al in the clothes he was wearing in episode 51. I don't mind Al wearing Ed's clothes but, I think it would be better if Al had his own style.
Maybe Al wearing Ed's clothes is supposed to symbolise Al doing the same journey that Ed did. Or maybe not...
Fuzzytoesocks
Feh, I'd have to say I like Ed in his clothes and Al...not in his clothes. To me, Al was taking away his brother's identity, or at least a little bit. Outting trandmutation circles on his gloves was just over the top, in my opinion. Besides, I like him with his short hair. ^^; I'm glad that he cut his hair and such at the end.

Oh, and I'm not an Ed or Al (or Roy) fangirl, but if I had to choose, it'd be Ed...so my opinion may be slightly biased, but not much.
Winkle
Actually there's something I'm confused about.

Okay, so Al has transmutation circles drawn on the palm of both his gloves, this way when he claps his hand he can do transmutations... sorta like Ed but Ed didn't need the circles.

Now I know they made Al do the clapping thing so he can even mimic Ed even more but is it necessary at all? Throughout the anime and manga, we see many many many alchemists who have transmutation circles drawn on things, say Roy who has transmutation circles on his gloves, Armstrong who has circles on his gauntlets, etc and NONE of them have to clap their hands together to perform transmutation. Yet Al does... or he makes us think he does?

So is Al just clapping his hands just because it's something Ed does, or does he actually need to clap his hands? I don't think he needs to clap them, but then it just becomes reduntant. I dunno, just another nitpick on the movie.
Roi Moustang
Man i dont know why they did it but i think having them dress up like Ed shows that even though he doesnt completly remember his travels, he still has Ed in his heart... Plus it made it kewl to watch Al and his transfered soul fight like Ed and Al use to
Jedi28
I was rewatching some early episodes from the Anime and I noticed that Ed started out wearing a black jacket (under the red jacket) that zipped up. He later switched it to the black jacket that had the clasp at the top and was open. So the only real difference was Al's red coat had a hood and he had buttons instead of a zipper. Maybe when he got older he would have switched to a clasp style. I think he did it because it made him feel closer to Ed and possibly he just liked the style. I thought Al looked good though. I WANTED SO BAD to see Ed back in his old clothes but alas it wasn't to be. I'd have also liked Ed to say something like "Why the heck are you dressing like me?? Do you want to be me??" Then Al could have said, "That would be impossible, I'm much taller."
ice_alchemist21
i think Al looks good either way, im indifferent to it... but in the end i think Al should have kept his hair long, it looked good that way, but then again he would look to much like Ed, both with the same high ponytail.... anyway Al is soo hot in the movie... (i had to add that in..sry)
Jedi28
Yeah, I thought he should have kept the outfit and hair too. It would have been fun to see Ed and Al both in costume for a moment. I kept waiting for Ed to comment on Al's cosplaying him (did you notice Al even has Ed's trademark "atenna"?) but he never does.

Ed: Why are you dressed like how I used to dress?
Al: I wanted to. Unfortunately I'm way taller so it doesn't quite work.
Ed: You jerk.
Winkle
Like I said, his outfit doesn't bother me. I know it's a way for them to bring in elements of the series to give audience that sense of nostagia. But I'm still confused as to why Al has to clap his hands to do transmutations, even though he has the circles drawn on the palm of his gloves and no one else who has circles draw on their apparel (Roy, Mustang, everyone else etc.) needs to clap their hands together to do transmutations.
AA battery
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 17 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]351182[/snapback]

Ed: Why are you dressed like how I used to dress?
Al: I wanted to. Unfortunately I'm way taller so it doesn't quite work.
Ed: You jerk.

ROFL! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

At first I hated the ponytail and the red jacket and called it niisan-complex, but now I love it to no end and I drew at least 10 movie Al already @_@. I wonder why.

Yay me. rolleyes.gif
Jedi28
I like the jacket and ponytail too. I didn't like how they changed it at the end. Then he just looked like Alphonse Heindrich and you have to wonder at the funeral who nobody said, "Hey, if we're at Alphonse's funeral then what is he doing STANDING OVER THERE?!?!?!"

I don't know why Al had to clap his hands together unless he just did it for effect or to be like Ed. There's an insinuation in the manga (I haven't read it all so I don't know if they've come out and said it yet) that Al should be able to preform alchemy exaclty like Ed can without a circle at all.
Colette
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 18 2006, 01:46 AM) [snapback]351380[/snapback]

I like the jacket and ponytail too. I didn't like how they changed it at the end. Then he just looked like Alphonse Heindrich and you have to wonder at the funeral who nobody said, "Hey, if we're at Alphonse's funeral then what is he doing STANDING OVER THERE?!?!?!"

I don't know why Al had to clap his hands together unless he just did it for effect or to be like Ed. There's an insinuation in the manga (I haven't read it all so I don't know if they've come out and said it yet) that Al should be able to preform alchemy exaclty like Ed can without a circle at all.

I always thought he did that so people would think he dependant on the circles and people wouldn't know that he could do the clap thing like his brother.
Jedi28
It's possible though why bother? Who cares if Al has the same talent as Ed, why would he think he had to hide it? I think maybe he just did it purely for effect to be like Ed.
AA battery
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 18 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]351489[/snapback]

It's possible though why bother? Who cares if Al has the same talent as Ed, why would he think he had to hide it? I think maybe he just did it purely for effect to be like Ed.

I always thought that it's possible he had to imitate Ed so that people (like, people that are not too familar with Ed and Al) won't know that Ed has already disappeared...

but whatever, I don't really care anymore since the pole holes in the movie is lame and all sleep.gif;
Winkle
Yea, I would think he's dressed up like Ed as a way for him to say that he believes Ed is still alive, and that he isn't moving on until he's found him or something.
Jedi28
Didn't Ed take out an entire CITY when he did the last transmutation? I think people would have noticed he'd vanished.

Actually Al's clothing was one of the few things that made sense to me about the clothing. He wanted to feel closer to his brother for one thing, he also wanted to try and somehow get in touch with the fifteen year old brother he'd forgotten in with his memory. Also, I think it's kind of like the inscription in Ed's watch. Ed carried it as his motivation to remind him of what he'd done and needed to do. Al dressed like Ed to remind himself of his motivation and what his purpose was. After he meets Ed he wakes up and starts crying because he finally had proof after two years that Ed really was alive. Before he'd believed it but now he had actual physical proof. It was probably hard to believe in something purely on faith like that so maybe the outfit helped him along.

Come on, I had to find ONE thing that made sense about the dumb movie! smile.gif
Winkle
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 18 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]351622[/snapback]

Come on, I had to find ONE thing that made sense about the dumb movie! smile.gif

And no one's stopping you biggrin.gif
Jedi28
Very true. Now try and find TWO things that made sense about the movie! smile.gif
Hana no Kuroi
Even though I haven't seen this movie, I've come to the point where I'm spoiling myself stupid...And if there's one thing I really like about this movie, it'd be Al lookin' good like his bro. X3
Jedi28
He does look pretty good. He's got his hair the same (I'd imagine Ed started going with a ponytail because he's an impatient guy and the braid was too hard for him with the prosthetic his dad did), same clothes (only difference is Al's jacket buttons and Ed's had a clasp) and Ed's trademark jacket. I went back and checked and Ed left his red jacket somewhere around Winry's or Izumi's so it makes sense they'd have given it to Al. I wish Al hadn't changed at the end and cut his hair and worn different clothes. What would have been REALLY cool, to me at least, would have been Ed in his trademark clothes alongside Al but, alas, it was not meant to be. smile.gif
Automne
What is weird is that, on a lot of hagaren japanese sites, the arts picture Al with a blue coat instead of a red one...mellow.gif
Jedi28
Really? I haven't seen any of those. Do you have a link to one? Maybe they were planning to have him wear a blue coat but then they realized that Ed left his red coat behind when he left and they could just use that one. It seems like Ed's coat got left at Izumi's or at Winry's so it would make sense for it to make it's way to Al and he'd wear it as a way to be closer to Ed.

PS. Hey, SinLuxuria, go look at the post I left for ya on the "Are they going to make a sequel" thread. It's neat stuff I found on the Japanese movie website.
Hana no Kuroi
Oy...And so Al cut his hair...*sweatdrop* 'Twas cute while it lasted....
Jedi28
Yeah, I don't know why he couldn't have left it long unless Ed just got creeped out by Al cosplaying him.
Hana no Kuroi
That would've been too cute. 0.0 Maybe they figured Al would want to look like he did before he became a suit of armor and such...
Jedi28
QUOTE(Hana no Kuroi @ Feb 22 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]353448[/snapback]

That would've been too cute. 0.0 Maybe they figured Al would want to look like he did before he became a suit of armor and such...

Yeah, that's possible. Al was his own person and always had his own unique dress style (it was actually cooler than Ed's original dress style. Al as a child had a t-shirt, jeans, and another shirt over it while Ed just wore standard t-shirt and shorts type things). He dressed like Ed to feel closer to Ed and to remind him of his mission (in my opinion) so when he found Ed there'd be no need to look like him anymore.
Hana no Kuroi
That would work...Either that, or he was searching too long, he had no actual time to cut his hair and decided to just go with it.
Jedi28
That's a funny thought. You can just see him going oh to heck with it! smile.gif
Hana no Kuroi
Mmm, yeah...XD

So, loving Al's movie outfit is one thing, but apparently drawing it is another...*for me, anyway* XP Can't figure out the shoes...
Jedi28
I didn't even notice Al's shoes. Are they the same as Ed's were? The only reason Ed wore them was because they made him taller. biggrin.gif
Hana no Kuroi
No, they're different...Kind of what you'd see your father wear to work. Those dorky kind.
Jedi28
Well, Al is something of a dork you have to admit, albeit a really cute one!
Hana no Kuroi
XD When you mention it, Al is pretty much a dork...XD But his brother's a nerd. >.>

*cough* Love the movie outfit, everything except the shoes...Which we probably don't really see that much in the movie...XD
Jedi28
Oh, I remember the shoes now. Yeah, Ed and Al are both nerds BUT they're really cool nerds! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.