Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fruits Basket (a.k.a. Furuba)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
anime lover girl
I read the first vol.

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1998
Author: Takaya Natsuki
Artist: Takaya Natsuki
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice Of Life, Supernatural, Tragedy

Summary
Tohru Honda has been living in a tent since her mother dies in a car accident, but ends up living instead with Yuki Sohma, her school's "prince", along with his relatives Shigure and Kyo. But Tohru soon discovers that the Sohma clan has a secret of it's own: certain members of the family are possessed by the animals of the Zodiac, so whenever they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex they turn into that animal! Tohru promises to keep their secret and vows to somehow break the curse, and she may just end up healing the Sohma clan members in other ways as well...

Aqua_Alchemist
I've heard about it, not read it or seen the anime. Where do you get the manga from, has it been released in shops translated, or is it being screen-slated by fans.
anime lover girl
yes! in the book stores you can find it
Omakase Shimasu
I haven't seen or read anything of it yet either. But I downloaded some music videos and read fanfiction. My favorite's Ayame. *__* Whoo-hoo~ And I adore... Oh God, I forgot his name... That kid with the uber-big eyes and acting like an a**hole all the time?
Chibi Viki
I'm collecting this manga! i've seen the anime (although the ending was a bit screwed) and I absolutely love it.

Despite the leading girl, Tohru's seemingly typical clumsy and slow girl next door personality, her presence, her character manages to pull everyone in the series around her. you can really see her make the others characters' lives shine through their seemingly angst-filled lives full of suppressed anger and hate.

and, so far, it's the first shojo title that made me cry the most... but the characters are simply lovable!
RoyxRiza BigFan
does anyone know that akito is a girl?
Omakase Shimasu
Akito? Ayame, Shigure and uh~ and what's-his-face's master? That small, shaggy-haired person in the red robes, right? I thought he was a guy. O_o
xrninja
yeeeah the akito thing was weird blink.gif didn't see that coming. i've read the first 3 volumes in english and some pages of the latest chapter with akito, and i bought the first 2 volumes at barnes & noble. so far kyou and hatsuharu are my favorites biggrin.gif yuki is my least favorite. for the most part, i love the art.....not so much the way tohru's drawn, though, she looks too sailormoon-esque for my taste. her ever-perky attitude gets on my nerves sometimes, but the kyou hotness makes up for that smile.gif
Quistis88
Akito is a girl!?

Wow, such differences between the manga and anime . . .

I actually quite like Yuki (though Shigure, for some reason, is my favorite!). Yuki is rather charming, and I like guys like that. smile.gif Not to say that Kyou is bad. He's gorgeous as well (like every guy in Fruits Basket!).
Chibi Viki
akito is a guy...
Omakase Shimasu
Um, maybe RoyxRiza meant it as a question?
RoyxRiza BigFan
well i got the info of akito as a girl here ph34r.gif

http://www.livejournal.com/community/fruit...330.html#cutid1

http://www.elysianfield.net/junk/28_29.jpg

http://www.elysianfield.net/junk/30.jpg

correct me if i am wrong although blink.gif
Chibi Viki
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH?!?!?!?!?!

b-b-but... in the anime... saw him... open kimono by the chest... no boobies... manly voice... @.@

i am in total shock... (and here i thought shigure was having a yaoi moment with akito in vol.3)

OMG... this is just like when i heard that bradley is a homunculous... i'm completely dumbfounded...
RoyxRiza BigFan
well i heard from yaoi girls that this is the truth and its old news already ...weeee akito is a sexy girl to me tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
i guess after i discovered shaman king, i kinda abandoned furuba (fruits basket) for quite a while. only when tokyopop licensed the manga did my interest return. but the manga is finished already, right?
RoyxRiza BigFan
not sure.....i have no idea at all.... @_@
AoiSora
It is not quite finished yet. But she is throwing in a big plot twist now. It was really quite distrubing to see...

But either way, I haven't followed for a while. My favorite character is Shigure. I just love guys that turn in to dogs! and that have a thing for short skirts! (he likes high school girls, most high school uniforms have short skirts)
Omakase Shimasu
...couldn't it be possible that it's a doujinshi or something...? @__@ Man, she's got the boy-look down-pat.
Quistis88
Oh, wow . . . evidence! I, too, thought it could've been a doujinshi, but considering all the differences in manga/anime that I've seen, I'm actually not too surprised now.

Perhaps that's the curse that s/he has to carry. Being a hermaphrodite . . .
Omakase Shimasu
O_o I thought they could only transform into a zodiac animal...?
Quistis88
They do, once embraced by the opposite sex. Although, in manga!!!Akito's case, maybe everything cancels out!
Omakase Shimasu
Hmmm, something like Kyo transforming into a cat? 'Cuz I'm sure that's not a zodiac. biggrin.gif
AoiSora
Don't really know, but does the Juunishi God really have a curse too?
Chibi Viki
shigure is my favorite too! :,3

hanajima the psychic girl is next... then ayame ^^
Quistis88
Hana-chan! She's so creepy in such an awesome way! And she's so pretty. happy.gif
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 27 2004, 02:12 AM)
shigure is my favorite too! :,3

hanajima the psychic girl is next... then ayame ^^

Ayame? Is this really Viki talking here? tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
of course, it's ayame --the snake--ayame! him+shigure= me falling off chair laughing. (psssst... ayamexassistant, hehehehe...)

and i even have this crazy thought of shigurexhana-chan?! hehehe, yeah... keeping in good contrast to each other...
Quistis88
Shigure and Ayame are hilarious! biggrin.gif It's so adorable whenever they go on their little spew about the "affair" they might have, and then give each other a thumbs-up. Priceless!
Chibi Viki
... and the look on tohru, kyo and yuki's faces whenever the duo does that! hahaha!
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif It's just strange coming from you, since Ayame's a bit... feminine.
Chibi Viki
I'm okay with guys who are a bit feminine... i know a lot of guys who are like that. in real life, i'm totally okay with gays... just don't do yaoi stuff like kissing and hugging and... eeeek... in front of me cuz, no offense, it just grosses me out when people of the same gender have "that" kind of relationship.

anyway, i don't want to stray from the topic. i like ayame... he's such a fun character like shigure. perhaps the reason why you're shock (other than the fact that i am guilty of watching kyou kara maou), is that your opinion of ayame is that he's gay, but not for me since he's got this relationship with his assistant (at least i'd like to think so).
Omakase Shimasu
Hehe, I'd like to think he's bi. biggrin.gif Attracted to both sexes... yeah, I'll settle for that. laugh.gif It's so fun when he tries to get closer to Yuki. @__@ The wedding dress scene comes to mind.
Chibi Viki
that was... ehrm... weird... i like that scene were his head was on his assistant's knees... aaaaaaw...

but i like him best when he teams up with shigure to creep the kids out! hahaha, poor hatori, caught in the middle of all that madness! XD
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif Men in dresses generally are creepy at first glance. Though I have to say, Ayame does a better female impersonation than Gourry (from Slayers ever will. @_____@

Hmmmm, I really wanna see the series now... T___T But those HUGE eyes creeped me out at first. I mean... Tohru's eyes are even worse than Ed's! laugh.gif
Chibi Viki
uhm? i don't mind her huge eyes... everyone keeps saying that she's so much like sailormoon, but she's not really. at first i had the impression that i'll hate her for her usagi-ness... then, after watching later episodes, it all kinda melts and i suddenly feel the urge to kill anyone who hurts her!

it's just that, if i were in the position of any of the juunishi, i'd love to have someone like her in my life as well. the one person in the world who accepts you for who you are even to the ugliest detail w/o prejudice or malice and understands you and your shortcomings. don't we all want to have a person like that in our lives?
Omakase Shimasu
Salor Moon? O_o I didn't get that impression from her either. Well, from the bits and pieces I've seen and read of her personality so far. biggrin.gif;; She seems to me like a nice girl, who only wants to help out the people who "need" it.

No, the artwork just really creeped me out when I first saw Fruits Basket pictures. <___< But than I started downloading AMVs of the anime series and gradually I started to... almost like it. I can tolerate it all now at least. laugh.gif

And yes, I think everyone would be glad with a friend like her. smile.gif Well, maybe more than a friend in Kyo and Yuki's case. rolleyes.gif
Quistis88
Why can't guys in real life be more like Yuki and Kyo and Shigure? Without the transformation bit, of course . . .
Chibi Viki
cuz majority of guys are insensitive jerks ^^;;

and it takes years of traumatized childhood to make a yuuki and a kyo. smile.gif
Quistis88
Haha, that's so true. Angsty guys like them just aren't complete without the childhood trauma . . .
xrninja
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 29 2004, 06:05 PM)
uhm? i don't mind her huge eyes... everyone keeps saying that she's so much like sailormoon, but she's not really. at first i had the impression that i'll hate her for her usagi-ness... then, after watching later episodes, it all kinda melts and i suddenly feel the urge to kill anyone who hurts her!

it's just that, if i were in the position of any of the juunishi, i'd love to have someone like her in my life as well. the one person in the world who accepts you for who you are even to the ugliest detail w/o prejudice or malice and understands you and your shortcomings. don't we all want to have a person like that in our lives?

urgh, tohru's eyes bother me happy.gif;; yeah, tohru is very sweet, but to me her character is just so....flat. like, she's so cutesy-ditzy, nice, angelic, and kind; it's just a little too perfect. oh yeah, plus she's got the sad past, but that's okay because she has the never say die attitude to bear through it! she's a good friend for kyou-tachi to have but i sort of wish that she'd have a few more sides to her personality. overall, i do like her though smile.gif more than akito and yuki, less than shigure and haru and hatori and kyou biggrin.gif yuki's extreme feminine-ness just irks me >___>;; maybe i just need more time to get used to him happy.gif
Chibi Viki
in a way, i feel the same way, xrninja... i'm just saying that despite her attributes and her seemingly stereotypical character (on the surface that is), i still appreciate tohru and understand why she became precious to the people around her...

now i want to meet rin the horse and kureno the rooster! the manga, in tokyopop, still has a long way to go (currently vol.5) and i don't want too many spoilers anymore.
Omakase Shimasu
Who's a monkey? blink.gif I thought that little boy who acts like an @**hole had the monkey zodiac, but I'm not sure...
Blahblah
Fruits basket is good I guess, but hard to find places with it

I have read up to volume..11 I think? Somewhere around chapter 60 anyways
Chibi Viki
Who's a monkey?  I thought that little boy who acts like an @**hole had the monkey zodiac, but I'm not sure...

Rizu(?) is the monkey... he's the crossdresser who tends to blame himself for almost everything (he's the son of that scary onsen manager that tohru and co. went to for white day.

the annoying boy is actually the sheep who is inlove with the tiger... man, talk about ironic.

I have read up to volume..11 I think? Somewhere around chapter 60 anyways

vol. 11? and it still hasn't ended?
AoiSora
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 30 2004, 12:34 AM)
Why can't guys in real life be more like Yuki and Kyo and Shigure?  Without the transformation bit, of course . . .

I want Shigure WITH the Transformation!!! laugh.gif I love dogs!

oh and Vol 15 just came out and it is not over yet. (the book has Akito on the cover)
lenchan
wow. I like fruits basket...especially with the latest revelation they had just came out with...this is a very funny manga!!!
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif Thx, Viki~

...I honestly thought Rizu was a girl. -___-
Chibi Viki
VOL. 15?! craaaaap!!! i'm collecting this series and thought that it was over by vol. 13...

this is karma... last time i told my friend that karekano was only up to vol. 10 and so she collected it... come vol. 13 and it's still not finished. now, it's me and furuba. *sigh*

we collect manga that won't exceed vol. 20, you see. we don't like long-term manga.
AoiSora
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Oct 2 2004, 02:39 AM)
VOL. 15?! craaaaap!!! i'm collecting this series and thought that it was over by vol. 13...

this is karma... last time i told my friend that karekano was only up to vol. 10 and so she collected it... come vol. 13 and it's still not finished. now, it's me and furuba. *sigh*

we collect manga that won't exceed vol. 20, you see. we don't like long-term manga.

No long term manga!??! you are missing out! Kenshin has 28 volumes. Mankin is up to 30 and not done (but looks like it is going to end soon)

And one of my favorite manga that nobody really knows or cares about is the Violinist of Hameln 37 vols!

And BTW Kare Kano is up to vol. 17 and still not done.
Chibi Viki
it's more like, if a new title that we like appears, we'd have to wait till what we're currently collecting is over to collect the new title (we're watching out budget after all).

Mankin, i'm going to buy vol. 19, 20, and 28 when it comes out in english. RK... nah, i've already got jap ver of the ending and some volumes. besides, we're tired of RK. karekano, my friend will complete it along with GTO.

I'm for Furuba, and a few suikoden... after chobits, no more clamp for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.