Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 54 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Antimony
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 54 here. smile.gif

For info about the "Reading Reference", go to page 24.

==============

Now that our heroes are face to face with Father we all can't wait to see what happens next. A battle against him is bound to be onesided. Ed and Ling are in pretty bad shape, Al is still missing a hand, and I get the impression that Father is an *insanely* powerful alchemist, and on his home turf and with two of his lackeys at his side. Yikes.

So this would be a great time for Mei Chan and Scar to show up. Under the circumstances a truce would have to be made. They may be able to provide some back up and even fix Ed and Ling's injuries. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when Mei Chan finally meets the Elrics, and the inevitable conflict that will come up between her and Ling.

Will Father pull a James Bond villain monolgue and explain his backstory and evil plot? Is he really Hohenheim/an evil twin/a clone from another dimension? And what is Wrath planning to do with Roy? Thirteen days left!

<Last edited by Michiyo- on June 12, 2011>
kaizenyorii
i think hoho/"father" are the same person with split personality disorder. remember during the chat pride and wrath had, pride said something like "there was nobody to stop our plans, except father". that could mean that "father" and hoho are 2 different entities trying to control the same body.......

ok im gonna go back to my shroom patch now, and if in 13 days my theory is proven correct, ill invite you all to a christmas shroom party
Full Metal Elf
O_O....I can't wait!!! I want to know...hehe happy.gif
Koneko_chan
And what if we're not Christian/Catholic?

You gonna leave us on the streets... or something?

Huh?

YOU MAKE ME SAD!!!
Nepharski
More fighting? Come on. Isn't it time for a kinder, gentler FMA?

*Killed by Scar.*

Scar and Mai should be showing up any time now. Hopefully, Pride and Kimbley will also make an appearance.

If it comes to a duel to the death, Scar should take on Envy. I mean, Envy did started the Ishbal war, thus slaughtering his people.

I don't think hohenheim is the Father; none of Hoho's kindness is present in him. I'm sticking by the clone/twin theory.
Kyo_Umerio
i also agree. Hoho-papa and Father arn't the same.

i am actually hoping for a 3-way Battle:
Envy + Gluttony + Father V.s. Ed + Al + Ling V.s. Scar (protecting Mei) or they may just exclude Scar and he can watch XD!!! either way it'll be an epic battle guarenteed to leave someone dead... happy.gif and maybe even Mei will find out that Edo is the guy she has been dreaming of XD!!!
Dingbat
Umm, we'll probably get a glimpse of who the hell Father is. But if Father is smart he won;t say much baout his intentions to the Human Sacrifices. Scar and Mei should come in as well and we will finally know what is it that Mei fears about Amestris. I suspect it was Father... but WHY? Because he's immortal? Not human? Evil?
AA battery
I am not gonna guess anything so that it will be a definately surprise for me... (more over, I have my Statistics Exam on the same day as next chapter's release... I should really study instead of playing guess and check here X_O)

one thing I am guessing is that human!Al won't appear in chapter 54 xD;; (if he really does I would be jumping in joy ♥)
kokoro_shadow_angel
there's tons of stuff i wanna know...

1) who the heck is "father"...and what's up with the wired chair...and why does he look like hoho-papa?!
2) roy and riza will be separated...what's gonna happen to them?
3) what will happen to roy? (I MUST KNOW!!!)

and most importantly
4) where the heck did hohenheim go after he left risenbul?
ikimi
Does anyone else get the sneaky suspicion that Mei Chan is Ling's half sister? Remember that whole schpeal about finding immortality for the emperor and the different representatives from each of the different clans of Xing being the child of the emperor and a woman from each of the clans? Anyway, if I go by my wack theory, I don't think Mei Chan will be too willing to help Ling, as they are both trying to find the same thing, the failure of which means the end of their clan.

Anyway, sorry if this theory has been brought up/disproved. tongue.gif
Dingbat
Hmm, Mei Chan's clan is one of the lowest in teh Country. If we follow Ling's information, technicallysomeone from Mei Chan's clan should be one of the Emperor's wives. However I don;t think that woman is Mei Chan's mother...

And they search for immortality for completely different reasons anyway happy.gif
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Nov 28 2005, 08:36 PM) [snapback]321242[/snapback]

i think hoho/"father" are the same person with split personality disorder. remember during the chat pride and wrath had, pride said something like "there was nobody to stop our plans, except father". that could mean that "father" and hoho are 2 different entities trying to control the same body.......

I am still thinking this too. I think he's an alchemy experiment gone horribly wrong. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Kirara
Is it wrong for me to say that the scene I can't wait for is for Mei to realize who Edward Elric really is laugh.gif

Of course I am also dying for this mystery regarding Father to finally be solved so I can finally sleep well at night tongue.gif
Kyo_Umerio
actually.. if you look back on the other chapters recently they have been switching between the Edo/Aru Story line and the Roy/Riza story line... so my guess for this chapter is they are gonna reveal a bit about Father and then its gonna get back to Roy who is in King Bradley "clutches" so to speak XD!!! i cant wait to see what happens to them happy.gif YAY NESS!!!
MasterKris
Already a chap 54 thread?? happy.gif
Time flies fast.

THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL FINALLY REVEAL 'FATHERS' TRUE IDENTITY!! (and PLEASE on what will happen to our Roy)
kaizenyorii
ed being injured again may mean we get to see winry soon....probably not #54 but still its something to look forward too....
Antimony
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Nov 30 2005, 07:04 PM) [snapback]322148[/snapback]

ed being injured again may mean we get to see winry soon....probably not #54 but still its something to look forward too....

Did his automail get broken? I don't remember. If he didn't we could still see Winry if Ran Fan goes to her for a new arm.
Death 316
Sorry if this seems out of the blue but I wonder if we'll see whats going on with Lan Fan is this chapter, I mean we haven't seen her in quite a while.
theothersin
QUOTE(Antimony @ Nov 28 2005, 07:07 PM) [snapback]321224[/snapback]

Now that our heroes are face to face with Father we all can't wait to see what happens next. A battle against him is bound to be onesided. Ed and Ling are in pretty bad shape, Al is still missing a hand, and I get the impression that Father is an *insanely* powerful alchemist, and on his home turf and with two of his lackeys at his side. Yikes.

So this would be a great time for Mei Chan and Scar to show up. Under the circumstances a truce would have to be made. They may be able to provide some back up and even fix Ed and Ling's injuries. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when Mei Chan finally meets the Elrics, and the inevitable conflict that will come up between her and Ling.

Will Father pull a James Bond villain monolgue and explain his backstory and evil plot? Is he really Hohenheim/an evil twin/a clone from another dimension? And what is Wrath planning to do with Roy? Thirteen days left!

A evil twin....clone? People have been watching too much soap opera's. But he could be from another demension, I think that would be interesting...

QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Nov 28 2005, 07:36 PM) [snapback]321242[/snapback]

ok im gonna go back to my shroom patch now, and if in 13 days my theory is proven correct, ill invite you all to a christmas shroom party

Wow, I'm really into (I should say interested) in the split personality concept, and I didn't think of that. It makes more sense.....
yeah.

Think about it for a moment, Envy said he was like 400 years old right? He and the other homonculi take orders from Father, but we cannot be certian he "created" them....-thinks- Let's play the what if game, or the Let's Assume game.

What if Hoho was from another demension, and in his demension alchemy existed, and P.S. were easy to come by. Then, through a freak alchemy experiment, (or some other way) he arrives in the current Fullmetal world. One day he finds the homonculi -The older ones, not like Wrath or anything- who have also traveled from his demension. They all want to go back home, but in order to do so they need a very large P.S., so Hoho, living the longest in this dimension and having a almost used up P.S. becomes thier leader. They try to get a large enough amount with Xerxes, but it doesn't work, so they keep trying to find a way to create more P.S.

Let's assume this is when Hoho get's involved with the goverment and the Fhurer Canidate program. He creates Pride and Yade da, la de da, not much to go off here.

Let's say a few years later Hoho meets Trisha, and yade da they fall in love and stuffs. Ed's born and Hoho's researching a way to make more P.S. in his current demension, and by the time Al is, let's say one and a half or so, he starts traveling, and not being a compleatly heartless man sends Trisha money. Through this all he's giving orders to Envy who starts the Ishval war whille planning to use the place to sacrifice people for the stone, whillest Wrath is still pushing his way to the top and uses the war to do so.

During the Ishval war Hoho develoups a split personality, his split side still want to get back to his original demension, but his main personality, "Father" wants to go back to his childeren at Risembool, but the homonculi -Pride?- and his alter keep him from doing so. I just assume Pride because we have yet to see him or his power. Maybe it isn't Hoho/Father running the operation, it's Pride?

Any other What If's or Let's Assumes?

Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Nov 30 2005, 05:34 PM) [snapback]322125[/snapback]

Already a chap 54 thread?? happy.gif
Time flies fast.

THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL FINALLY REVEAL 'FATHERS' TRUE IDENTITY!! (and PLEASE on what will happen to our Roy)

lol so you agree with my thoughts then?
animefangirl
QUOTE(theothersin @ Nov 30 2005, 05:18 PM) [snapback]322159[/snapback]

QUOTE(Antimony @ Nov 28 2005, 07:07 PM) [snapback]321224[/snapback]

A evil twin....clone? People have been watching too much soap opera's. But he could be from another demension, I think that would be interesting...

QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Nov 28 2005, 07:36 PM) [snapback]321242[/snapback]

Wow, I'm really into (I should say interested) in the split personality concept, and I didn't think of that. It makes more sense.....
yeah.

Think about it for a moment, Envy said he was like 400 years old right? He and the other homonculi take orders from Father, but we cannot be certian he "created" them....-thinks- Let's play the what if game, or the Let's Assume game.

What if Hoho was from another demension, and in his demension alchemy existed, and P.S. were easy to come by. Then, through a freak alchemy experiment, (or some other way) he arrives in the current Fullmetal world. One day he finds the homonculi -The older ones, not like Wrath or anything- who have also traveled from his demension. They all want to go back home, but in order to do so they need a very large P.S., so Hoho, living the longest in this dimension and having a almost used up P.S. becomes thier leader. They try to get a large enough amount with Xerxes, but it doesn't work, so they keep trying to find a way to create more P.S.

Let's assume this is when Hoho get's involved with the goverment and the Fhurer Canidate program. He creates Pride and Yade da, la de da, not much to go off here.

Let's say a few years later Hoho meets Trisha, and yade da they fall in love and stuffs. Ed's born and Hoho's researching a way to make more P.S. in his current demension, and by the time Al is, let's say one and a half or so, he starts traveling, and not being a compleatly heartless man sends Trisha money. Through this all he's giving orders to Envy who starts the Ishval war whille planning to use the place to sacrifice people for the stone, whillest Wrath is still pushing his way to the top and uses the war to do so.

During the Ishval war Hoho develoups a split personality, his split side still want to get back to his original demension, but his main personality, "Father" wants to go back to his childeren at Risembool, but the homonculi -Pride?- and his alter keep him from doing so. I just assume Pride because we have yet to see him or his power. Maybe it isn't Hoho/Father running the operation, it's Pride?

Any other What If's or Let's Assumes?

thats a good theory
Antimony
Um, the other dimension thing I said was only a joke. I doubt that sort of thing will occur in the manga, since something like it already happened in the anime and the two have little connecting them. ^^;
theothersin
QUOTE(Antimony @ Nov 30 2005, 08:53 PM) [snapback]322306[/snapback]

Um, the other dimension thing I said was only a joke. I doubt that sort of thing will occur in the manga, since something like it already happened in the anime and the two have little connecting them. ^^;

Well yes, but we know very little about certain concepts in the manga. How homonculi are born ect; so just about anything could happen really. I'm not saying the other demension thing (joke or no joke) is a good idea or not, just a semi-logcal- well not so logical, but....for lack of better word, creative guess.
bemused_non-alchemist
It is creative, certainly, but a little far-fetched, methinks. XD

On a side note... Does anyone else think the gun--the weapon bestowed upon Ed-- will come into play again? As in, in a big way? Maybe he'll shoot Father with it, and thus show that Father is hurtable/unhurtable, depending on the outcome. Or maybe he'll shoot Gluttony, and it happens to kill him. Or Scar. ohmy.gif He may even use it as material to repair Al's hand. Who knows?

Coz' I don't think the gun is just for shooting around in Glutto's stomach, especially since the handing over of the gun was made so significant. (What with Ed's face and the flashbacks.)
Chiyo
Darn, when I saw the title I thought you actually knew what was coming up biggrin.gif

Frankly I'm getting rather impatient, I'm guessing the manga won't open with father as they'll want to build up to it so it might open with Roy or possibly Winry giving Ran-Fan auto-mail.
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Dec 1 2005, 11:42 AM) [snapback]322531[/snapback]

Darn, when I saw the title I thought you actually knew what was coming up biggrin.gif

Frankly I'm getting rather impatient, I'm guessing the manga won't open with father as they'll want to build up to it so it might open with Roy or possibly Winry giving Ran-Fan auto-mail.

*nods* i totally agree they are gonna start with Roy.... 100% sure..
Qeomash
Or Maybe it will open with Hohenhiem coming into Central with another episode where he demostrates his strangeness...(Isn't Father's place in Central?)
theothersin
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Dec 1 2005, 10:26 AM) [snapback]322525[/snapback]

On a side note... Does anyone else think the gun--the weapon bestowed upon Ed-- will come into play again? As in, in a big way? Maybe he'll shoot Father with it, and thus show that Father is hurtable/unhurtable, depending on the outcome. Or maybe he'll shoot Gluttony, and it happens to kill him. Or Scar. ohmy.gif He may even use it as material to repair Al's hand. Who knows?

Coz' I don't think the gun is just for shooting around in Glutto's stomach, especially since the handing over of the gun was made so significant. (What with Ed's face and the flashbacks.)

biggrin.gif Of course it's far-fetched. Anything can happen in "Let's Assume." I get really hyped on plots that envolve conspericies, and end up confusing myself with at least seven different "out there" endings. That was one of them.

I've been trying to look back in earlier chapters for clues about what's going to happen next. I think it's possible to get a vauge idea of what's going to happen. -shifty eyes- No, I'm not overly excited about conspericies, it actually works. When Ed is given Tuckers report-thing you can see a outline of Armstrongs face on the next one. You can also see Izumi and Sig in several earlier chapters in the backround, usually thier talking to someone, or looking at/ for something.
Sensenic
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Dec 1 2005, 06:26 PM) [snapback]322525[/snapback]

Certainly. I thought that too... the check-for-walls use was quite anti-climatic. sleep.gif
But now Ed is before the guy who he believes to be the culprit of everything that happened till now (he's probably right, I say) and ALSO his father, whom he already did despise (he's probably wrong, I say). And he has a gun... Certainly this could be one helluva scene -eagerness-...
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Dec 1 2005, 09:18 PM) [snapback]322596[/snapback]

Shall we place bets on it...

I say it won't start with Roy as this last one did. My bet is rather Scar and Mei Chan.

What does the winner get? (hey, I'm serious, as long as we don't bet sth important, we could make it. Could be fun!)
QUOTE(theothersin @ Dec 2 2005, 02:33 AM) [snapback]322723[/snapback]

I've been trying to look back in earlier chapters for clues about what's going to happen next. I think it's possible to get a vauge idea of what's going to happen. -shifty eyes- No, I'm not overly excited about conspericies, it actually works. When Ed is given Tuckers report-thing you can see a outline of Armstrongs face on the next one. You can also see Izumi and Sig in several earlier chapters in the backround, usually thier talking to someone, or looking at/ for something.

[shameless thread advertising, once again]
Been there. Done that.

That be called teamwork!
[/shameless thread advertising, once again] happy.gif
bemused_non-alchemist
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Dec 2 2005, 05:39 PM) [snapback]322975[/snapback]
I say it won't start with Roy as this last one did. My bet is rather Scar and Mei Chan.

My sentiments exactly. And besides, they've been sidelined for far too long. (I don't recall them in Chapter 53 at all.)
Ladymercury
I'd say it'd be military essentric though some minor characters will come into play....

hopefully....

only likes fma for the military anyway >>
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Dec 2 2005, 02:39 AM) [snapback]322975[/snapback]

Certainly. I thought that too... the check-for-walls use was quite anti-climatic. sleep.gif
But now Ed is before the guy who he believes to be the culprit of everything that happened till now (he's probably right, I say) and ALSO his father, whom he already did despise (he's probably wrong, I say). And he has a gun... Certainly this could be one helluva scene -eagerness-...
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Dec 1 2005, 09:18 PM) [snapback]322596[/snapback]

Shall we place bets on it...

What does the winner get? (hey, I'm serious, as long as we don't bet sth important, we could make it. Could be fun!)
QUOTE(theothersin @ Dec 2 2005, 02:33 AM) [snapback]322723[/snapback]

[shameless thread advertising, once again]
Been there. Done that.

That be called teamwork!
[/shameless thread advertising, once again] happy.gif

ok then... lets bet for bragging rights.... this is my bet...

Ed and Al opening - they will confront father and find out a bit more about him and perhaps start a fight.
Roy and Riza for the MOST of the issue and what will become of them...
Scar and Mei make a discovery and leave us hanging again....

there is mine... i really dont care who is right lol happy.gif this is just for fun anyways....
animefangirl
QUOTE(bemused_non-alchemist @ Dec 1 2005, 10:26 AM) [snapback]322525[/snapback]

i think so too
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Dec 1 2005, 01:18 PM) [snapback]322596[/snapback]

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Dec 1 2005, 11:42 AM) [snapback]322531[/snapback]

i agree

Fullmetal_Bastard
What about when hoho got shot? He didn't even get hurt. It looks like he's immortal or something.
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(Fullmetal_Bastard @ Dec 3 2005, 02:25 AM) [snapback]323434[/snapback]

What about when hoho got shot? He didn't even get hurt. It looks like he's immortal or something.

Maybe he is pride?
Aoko-chan
Hoho = pride.. I don't think so..

Hoho was in Risenbul in the Ranfan/Ling vs Glutton/Envy fight, but Pride was in Central with Envy during that time ne?

----

Aoko is in serious need of....

ROYAI or Roy basically
Who the heck is Father
Mei and Scar
Landmine

I don't think Ed will shoot the gun with Al there.... Or Al will probably stop him. But it probably will play some signifigant part like maybe... No idea really laugh.gif It probably won't kill Gluttony because it has no relation to the punishment in hell he received in... that book... whose title I don't remember... >_>

About the opening, I think it'll start with Ed glaring at "Father" because he thinks he's Hoho, they'll be a whole lot of talk for a few pages, and once Ed reaches a revelation (Father answers why he left Trisha? Father tells Ed what he's doing? Something of the sort) or there's a suspenseful question with a kick*** answer, than they'll switch to the Roy/Riza/East HQ crew. About Scar and Mei, they'll probably arrive at the revelation or suspenseful question... or they might be at the end of the switch to Roy/Riza/East HQ crew along with Ed and Father in a three-way glare to begin a three-way battle, just to keep us on the tip of our toes, wanting more. Dunno, maybe.
Ladymercury
How could Father create a humonculi that looks exactly like himself... if he himself isn't dead?? Unless he had a twin brother he killed.....

and at the end of the chapter roy will declare his love for riza and the angels will sing and havoc will be able to walk again and father would go ' ha ha april fools! ' and everything will be all right in the world

Oh how we wish. tongue.gif
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(Ladymercury @ Dec 3 2005, 01:22 PM) [snapback]323579[/snapback]

How could Father create a humonculi that looks exactly like himself... if he himself isn't dead?? Unless he had a twin brother he killed.....

and at the end of the chapter roy will declare his love for riza and the angels will sing and havoc will be able to walk again and father would go ' ha ha april fools! ' and everything will be all right in the world

Oh how we wish. tongue.gif

*blinks* that would be a very very anticlimactive and terrible ending... i want Roy to almost Die trying to save Riza.... AGAIN!.. and be injured.. and have Riza nurse him back to health... and then riza would be gently dabbing some blood away and he would be looking at her and how beautiful she is and she would notice and their eyes would meet and then.... and then.... a kiss... =D oh... how i wish...

in the Anime... does anyone else notice this... [spoiler]but after all the fights Edo has gotten into he has never been hurt.. but in the one MAJOR fight that roy gets into... he gets almost fatally injured... BY ARCHER!!!!!! ... not even a MAIN MAIN character.... but he killed bradly... the "strongest" (questionably) homunculi... with a few bad injuries... *sighs* hardly justified for the fact that Roy is the one that saved the world...[/spoiler]

stupid anime version making my amazing colonel look like a loser....

MOVIE SPOILER:
[spoiler] although he does come back as a badass in the movie even though he doesn't get good screen time.. he kicked... ASS!!!! [/spoiler]
kaizenyorii
QUOTE(Ladymercury @ Dec 3 2005, 02:22 PM) [snapback]323579[/snapback]

everything wont be all right until AL gets his body backk. lets say Al gets his body back tooooo
Ladymercury
oohh yeeeaaahhh, how silly of me to skip the main reason on why Ed and Al are running around Amestris like headless chickens XD
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(kaizenyorii @ Dec 3 2005, 04:37 PM) [snapback]323653[/snapback]

QUOTE(Ladymercury @ Dec 3 2005, 02:22 PM) [snapback]323579[/snapback]

everything wont be all right until AL gets his body backk. lets say Al gets his body back tooooo

meh... Al will be ok... Roy and Riza is whats important XD!!!
Frazzie
I honestly don't care about the Hoho/Father/Whoevertheheckheis vs. Ed and Co. fight. Seriously, I just need Al to open those stupid gates and get his fricking body back. I mean, the whole "OMG U ARNT MY SOUL SO IMA JUS SIT HRE AN MAKE EVRY1 FEEL SRY 4 ME" thing was just...ugh.

And Roy will probably perform some amazing fire trick and escape from King Bradley Pitt before running out of the building and kissing Riza under the stars. No, really.
Antimony
We'd all like to see Al get his body back, hon. Problem is that if that happens then the series is pretty much over with.
Chiyo
Yes, and then where would we be apart from unsatisfied.
Frazzie
Well, yes. I wouldn't be unsatisfied if it ended, though--the length that it is right now is good enough for me. Guess I'm just weird like that. o_o
Ladymercury
Easy and quick ends are fail.
Frazzie
I probably just like them because I'm a former shojo manga fanatic. And easy, quick endings happen in those mangas all the time. =/
ElvishVamp
The series wouldn't necessarily be over if Al got his body back. At this point there's enough going on, such as the father's plans and the whole situation with Scar, that Al could get his body back and the series would still be able to continue for another 50 chapters. Not that I think that'll happen. It's unlikely at best, but you never know.

To be honest, I want to see more of Havoc and Ranfan! Why do all my favorite characters either end up dead or seriously injured? T_T
Qeomash
I want it to end because I want to know what happens, but at the same time I don't want it to end for obvious reasons...tongue.gif

My bet is the end is one of two ways:

1. a. Ed is able to get Al's body back
b. The two then use both of their powers to take down Father...
2. a. They take down father.
b. As a result, they finally understand how to do it and restor their bodies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.