Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mythbusters, Anyone?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
"Mythbusters" is a show on Discovery Channel (in U.S.,) in which they re-create scenes according to various myth, and see whether it's scientifically plausible, or not.
It's fun, and quite educational at the same time.

Anyone besides me, watch the show?? If so, what's your favorite mythbusting attempt??

I thought the one from the old episode of peeing on the railroad track to see if that results in electrocution, was pretty funny, and so as the skunk clean up tests. laugh.gif
Ronaldo Rodregez
I actually love this show, but never go out of my way to watch it.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I love Mythbusters! I want to be one of Adam and Jamies lackys I would be so good at that job.

I missed what myth they were busting but they ended up stuffing a cement truck with a bunch of dynamite and blew it sky high. All that was left was a black spot on the ground where the truck used to be. The one I caught this weekend was good to, they build a rocket from the civil war it was cool!
ἀρχή
I never really get to watch it, but I do enjoy the show. Buster, of course, is my favorite person on the show smile.gif
Tombow
^^Poor buster...always getting abused by others on the show! XD

QUOTE(Envy @ Nov 21 2005, 06:10 PM) [snapback]318021[/snapback]

.....I missed what myth they were busting but they ended up stuffing a cement truck with a bunch of dynamite and blew it sky high. All that was left was a black spot on the ground where the truck used to be.

Yeah, I enjoyed that episode greatly! That one was one heck of an explosion!!
I think they were trying to find out if dynamite inside concrete mixer truck would loosen/clean hardened concrete inside the truck. XD
QUOTE(Envy @ Nov 21 2005, 06:10 PM) [snapback]318021[/snapback]

The one I caught this weekend was good to, they build a rocket from the civil war it was cool!

That one was cool, and very educational to boot!!
The one about remedy for seasickness was informative, too. Ginger pill actually prevented Adam from getting seasick!!
Dingbat
Oh wow, I love Jamie and Adam. I wish wish wish I can work there XD What they do looks so darned similar to my technology course!

I watch it sporadically (cause sometimes I just completely forget) but from what I've seen, my favorite is that part with Hovercraft. Who knows that ou can make a floating device out of Vacuum Cleaner biggrin.gif I'm so tempted to try it out myself.
zombie
Its on in AUS 2. thats a first. ohmy.gif I love it. biggrin.gif but I dont watch it much now sad.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Tombow @ Nov 22 2005, 01:20 AM) [snapback]318258[/snapback]

The one about remedy for seasickness was informative, too. Ginger pill actually prevented Adam from getting seasick!!

No surprise on that one. I've used ginger for nausea for years although I'm surprised it worked in pill form. Adam and Jamie should come talk to me about some of this stuff. I could of told them about the goldfish memory myth from my days working in pet stores.
Tombow
^^ Ohhh, me too, me too!! I usually have a jar of sugary sweet pickled ginger (yap, the pink stuff that comes with sushi happy.gif) in the fridge, and when I get upset stomuch I eat some of them. Works like a charm for me. sleep.gif
But, I too thought the powdered form of ginger might not work the same way.

And, that gold fish episode.... Adam kept losing (kiling) fish because of his inexperience with pet fish... Poor goldfish!!! sad.gif Yap, you should helped Adam!!
Molecular Alchemist
^^^Really? Ginger? HUZZAH! my seasickness days are OVER!! laugh.gif I love mythbusters...they are always doing someting funny, yet educational on that show...like the time they made hovercrafts with vaccums and leaf-blowers (I still need to try that one). It's hard for me to catch it now, with my schedule the way that it is...but if I have free time, it's always fun to see what the gang is doing!
Dingbat
Yeah. I wanna but a super strong vacuum and do the hovercraft trick.

It's always funny how Adam and Jamie just completely hav different ideas on how to tackle the program and they end up fighting for supreme reign of the test XD All I can say is poor, poor Buster. I'm not sure how many times that dude's been remade.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I think they may be on their third Buster if I'm not mistaken.
Toby-Chan
Omg, yes! I love mythbusters! Maybe that's just natural considering what I'm generally fond of. I love discovery channel crud, because I'm just a dork like that, and I'm especially fond of hands on stuff like what they do in the show. Testing theories is so fun. biggrin.gif

Too bad we don't have cable anymore, so I can't watch it. :'( I'm missing so much good stuff! (*Misses Nat'l Geographic's "Taboo" like nuts!*)
Tombow
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Nov 22 2005, 06:49 PM) [snapback]318446[/snapback]

Too bad we don't have cable anymore, so I can't watch it. :'( I'm missing so much good stuff! (*Misses Nat'l Geographic's "Taboo" like nuts!*)

Men, that's like a torture!! I feel your pain!! sleep.gif

The hoovercraft experiment kind of blew me away, that they could actually make fairly respectable, working hovercraft from vaccum cleaners and leaf blowers!!
Sure, after watching the episode it all makes sense, but who'd tonk... XDDDD

The same goes for the prison break experiment, by corroding metal bars with, TOMATO SAUCE!! laugh.gif
It actually worked when added minor electricity, I think, using a tiny transister that was salvaged from radio.
Wow. I was impressed. happy.gif
Molecular Alchemist
Ya know..it just makes ya wonder what else you can do with stuff around the house....I saw them clean the bumbers of a car with tin foil and coca-cola...and it was more shiny than with the store-bought stuff! I'm just kinda upset that they blew the whole "breaking the surface tension of water to save your life from a fall" myth...(err, the one where you throw a hammer into the water before you fall in from a high drop so that the hammer breaks the surface tension of the water and you won't get hurt when you hit it.) Yeah...that poor dummy..I forget it's name...but in the end, I think they had to keep fishing body parts out of the water. laugh.gif Who'd have thought physics could be soo much fun!
zombie
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Nov 23 2005, 10:19 AM) [snapback]318446[/snapback]

If you think thatís bad, then you need to come to Australia. We donít get much anime and very few good TV shows. And the ones we do get are so old. eg: the last episode of Frasier was on this week 4 the first time
Tombow
QUOTE(zombie @ Nov 23 2005, 09:59 AM) [snapback]318664[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Nov 23 2005, 10:19 AM) [snapback]318446[/snapback]

If you think thatís bad, then you need to come to Australia. We donít get much anime and very few good TV shows. And the ones we do get are so old. eg: the last episode of Frasier was on this week 4 the first time

Oh, no, zombie, I did not know!! Sorry!!
Sooo, I see what you mean when you said "lucky" that you're getting this show in Australia.
Yeah, I'm glad it's available for Aussie population!!
Demonhunter399
yea i like the show it is so interesting to see what they are going to do.

but i really dont know when it comes on i just watch it when im flipping through the channels and i see that it is on. i really dont bother to see what time it is casue i really dont feel like thinking that i have to watch the show again the same time tomorrow.

the day should just go along, you should go with the flow.
Tombow
Watched new episode tonight. smile.gif

Tonight, they made cross-bows from rolled up newspaper, elastics taken from underwere, with homemade glue!! laugh.gif
Aleesha Elric
I love that show, I feel sorry for buster. I saw the ep where they compleatly blew him apart. Oh man was that good!
Martin Easth
I do enjoy "Myth-Busters" and I think two of my very favorites are:
The "Killer-Quicksand" and the one when they experimented with various electric-devices and determined if a "hairdryer" thrown inte a bathtub could be lethal or not! I can not recall what that experiment was called (Is there anyone out there who knows????)
Tombow
QUOTE(Martin Easth @ Jan 18 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]339827[/snapback]

I do enjoy "Myth-Busters" and I think two of my very favorites are:
The "Killer-Quicksand" and the one when they experimented with various electric-devices and determined if a "hairdryer" thrown inte a bathtub could be lethal or not! I can not recall what that experiment was called (Is there anyone out there who knows????)

I can't remember the name of the episode neither, but I remember that that was a very educational episode!! happy.gif

NEW EPISODE tonight!!
(9 pm - 10 pm, U.S. Eastern Time, on Discovery channel.) smile.gif

elalquimistafilosofal
yew i like that show is cool but sometime said things that arenīt truth but yeah is fun at the same time cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
Tombow
New episode tonight!!

Tonight, they try to recreate propellas of one plane slicing the body of another other plane, like slicing cucumbers, while Mythbuster minions try to start fire with various methods.

They started the fire from shined bottom of soda can, using it to focus sunlight to one spot, also using steelwool and batteries, and using a round lens shaped ice!! laugh.gif

I'm not quite sure the point of slicing the airplne, but the recreated crush looked very cool!! biggrin.gif
And, the fire starting experiments were educational. smile.gif
zombie
Now Iím going 2 know what happens when it comes 2 Aus. sad.gif
So can you people tell me more? biggrin.gif
Tombow
^^ @zombie - I'll try my best to describe the pisode, happy.gif

Tonight, they are revisiting the myth they took up in season 2.
They try to start a boat on fire by focusing bunch of mirror-reflected sunlights from the shore, which they couldn't do last time.

This time, not only they try again, but also some viewer groups who had responded to their call are up to the challenge.
Plus, a group from MIT (for non-U.S. members, it's Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the best engineering/tech science University in the U.S.)

I'm still watching the second showing to catch the details, but anyway, the bottom line, none of them succeeded to start the fire on the boat using mirrors on the shore, and they concluded it was probably more practical to use conventional weapons to destroy the boat... happy.gif
Molecular Alchemist
^^^so the "dead ray" was a no go, huh? pity. hehehe! I missed it, since had to work--I really wanted to see that episode too..the previews looked really promising sad.gif
Tombow
Another new episode last Wednesday, episode Episode 47: Helium Football.
It was a good episode!!

In this episode, Adam and Jamie tested the myth that American football balls, when filled with Helium, fly further than regular football balls, while three Mythbuster minions, Kari, Tory, and Grant checked out the possibility of catching a bullet with teeth. biggrin.gif

We learned that since Herium is very light, much lighter than air, a foorball filed with Hellium is lighter than UNfilled football ball (just the weight of ball material itself)!!

Also, intersting side fact: Inhaling Helium makes our voices sounding like high pitch childish voices because.... Helium is much less dense than air, so the voice waves travelling through Herium (in the mouth) travel faster (with faster wave cycles/min.) So, in effect, similar to regularly recorded tape played faster and getting this higher pitched sound, it produces that child like voices.

But, the bottom line?? The lighter ball does not translate to more flying distance, and the myth was busted. smile.gif

Meantime, the trio discovered that human teeth can not possibly withstand the impact of flying bullet. The jaws would shutter, and teeth would brake upon the impact. (Yikes!!)
Further, they learned that it's incredibly hard to catch a flying bullet, needing millisecond of reflex accuracy and humanly impossible timing. They rigged metal "jaws" machine with an djustable timer, accurate to 1/1000 millisecond (I think,) and still quite cound not catch an incoming bullet, even after many attempts.

So, catching a bullet with teeth?? Totally busted!! biggrin.gif

It was an interesting, and informative episode!! smile.gif
edsgirl
I just recently got into this show, but I love it! My son loves it too, which I think is weird for a three year old. He said he wants a mustache like Jaime when he grows up. tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Feb 23 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]353740[/snapback]

He said he wants a mustache like Jaime when he grows up. tongue.gif

[click] tv off blink.gif
ARTist
The Paper Crossbow
Tombow
QUOTE(ARTist @ Mar 9 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]360985[/snapback]

The Paper Crossbow

Hehe, I liked that episode!! It was neat that they were actually making crossbows with NEWSPAPER!! laugh.gif

This week's new episode was "so-so" in my opinion.
"Death by fart" myth, that someone in a very small and airtight room got suffocated by own fart, was of course de-bunked, but the experiment of re-creating the Ben Franklin's kite was educational, and fun to watch.

And the lesson from this week's episode: It's deadly to fly a kite in the thunder storm with a metal object (it was a key in Franklin's experiment) hanging at your end of kite string. smile.gif

Got to remember that, just in case. laugh.gif
Popogeejo
Love the show...my fav Mythbuted you ask!?!
Can you mak ea swing go all the ay around was good and i loved the killer kleenex box one.(Can a tissue box gain enough kinetic energy in a car crashh to kill you?)Safe to say don't put an axe in the back of your car.
Tombow
^^ Yeah. I liked the swing episode!! I didn't think it was that difficult to make the swing go 360 degrees, but I found out it was. smile.gif

More new episode tonight!!
In tonight's episode, Tory, Kari, and Grant tried to see if cell phones would really disrupt the plane's ability to fly, like interfering with the instruments, or cockpit communications, etc.

Meanwhile, Adam and Jamie checked out the myth that if filled with hellium, normal plain raft would fly (!!??) rolleyes.gif
They quickly found out, by simply filling a raft with hellium, that it doesn't
They went on and caliculated how much hellium it needed to lift the raft, with one human on it, and it came out some humongus amount, like enough to fill small zeppelin (which makes sense, actually.)
Undounted, they created a raft, a pontoon actually, to hold that much hellium, out of PVC plastics.
Imagine extra extra long (like 1000's of feet long) clear garbage bags filled with hellium, sealed closed with sillicon, and put them together with duct tapes!! laugh.gif
Well, something similar to that, and they made this humongus PVC plastic bag pontoons, and filled with a truck-load of hellium, and put Adam on it.
It did float, but pontoon fell arart, and Adam fell through the seam, ended in a safety net that's hanging from the pontoon, and he looked like a bear caught in a net trap (Adam put on black wet-suit/swap-suit combination outfit for the occasion just because he thought that would look "cool") or something!! THAT was a funny scene!!
I think Adam was embarassed, tho he did not say that.
The whole pontoon fell apart at seams, and the experiment was busted!!! biggrin.gif

Meantime, Tory and the gang tested the disruption by cellphones to airplane communication/instruments on the ground, because by U.S. LAW you CAN NOT operate cell phones on the plane while flying, even for the experiment, even on the private plane.
So, they tested inside the private jet, idling on the ground, and they found no quantifiable disruptions whatsever.
But, they concluded that the Law is probably siding on the safety side, just in case.... (Or, maybe siding with some lobbying group sent by those airline "seat-phone" companies??? tongue.gif )

Anyway, that was a good episode!! happy.gif
zombie
this is what the TV book said about the last episode of mythbusters.
this is an extraordinary collection of never seen before experiments that were abandoned for one reason or another.
so they trashed tapes. The best one was when they were lined up and shot or was it the liquid nitrogen. I donít know.
HybridAlchemist
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 9 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]360990[/snapback]

QUOTE(ARTist @ Mar 9 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]360985[/snapback]

The Paper Crossbow

Hehe, I liked that episode!! It was neat that they were actually making crossbows with NEWSPAPER!! laugh.gif

This week's new episode was "so-so" in my opinion.
"Death by fart" myth, that someone in a very small and airtight room got suffocated by own fart, was of course de-bunked, but the experiment of re-creating the Ben Franklin's kite was educational, and fun to watch.

And the lesson from this week's episode: It's deadly to fly a kite in the thunder storm with a metal object (it was a key in Franklin's experiment) hanging at your end of kite string. smile.gif

Got to remember that, just in case. laugh.gif

I tried making that and ended up in a miserable faiilure
BTCstudent
GO ADAM AND JAMIE! MYTHBUSTERS 4-EVA!
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 15 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]363952[/snapback]

^^ Yeah. I liked the swing episode!! I didn't think it was that difficult to make the swing go 360 degrees, but I found out it was. smile.gif

I don't have cable anymore so I miss a bunch of episodes. Did they make the swing go all the way around? I always wondered if that could happen.
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 15 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]363952[/snapback]

Meantime, Tory and the gang tested the disruption by cellphones to airplane communication/instruments on the ground, because by U.S. LAW you CAN NOT operate cell phones on the plane while flying, even for the experiment, even on the private plane.
So, they tested inside the private jet, idling on the ground, and they found no quantifiable disruptions whatsever.
But, they concluded that the Law is probably siding on the safety side, just in case.... (Or, maybe siding with some lobbying group sent by those airline "seat-phone" companies??? tongue.gif )

I'd bet money that it is.

Those plane phones are expensive I'm sure they don't want to lose that money.
Moushi
Hrrrmmmmm.....I'd have to say my favorite episode was the one all about Jaws!! I thought it was interesting to have those scenes re-created. xD Poor Buster xD
Lone Wolf
I love Mythbusters! Jamie and Adam are two of the funniest guys I've ever seen! (Especially since they have such opposite personalities!) laugh.gif
Homunculi Kai
Nya! Us Canadian's can watch it too!

I love it! I loved it when they exploded that cement truck. THAT was a BOOM!
Lone Wolf
QUOTE(Homunculi Kai @ Apr 9 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]377261[/snapback]

Nya! Us Canadian's can watch it too!

I love it! I loved it when they exploded that cement truck. THAT was a BOOM!

I love any of the episodes where they blow stuff up or set things on fire! (little known fact: I have some pyro blood in me...)
sweety_pie
I love MYTHBUSTERS. It is one of th coolest shows ever!

I like the time they proved that Benjamin Franklin couldnt have flown a kite in a thunder storm.

Ialso like the plastic tubes filled w/helium. and the paper crossbow!
sen ed
I liked the one where they tried to go over the top of the swing set and broke it. that was funny.
fma lover stef
WOOO ohmy.gif i had no idea we had a mythbusters thread!! im such a nerd HA HA!!

anyway i love that show! i like the one where they smash the two semi-trucks together. as cruel as it is, i thought it was funny when the cable snaped rolleyes.gif

"hey, how do we stop the truck if it-" *cable breaks*
" mellow.gif ... RUN!!" tongue.gif
zombie
A little off topic
QUOTE(ARTist @ Mar 10 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]360985[/snapback]

The Paper Crossbow

That one was on in the last 2 weeks.
South Australias TV is so out of date.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
ah i love mythbusters! it's the best non-anime show i've ever seen ^^ it's educational too ^__^ plus it's all sciency too, i think it's interesting or maybe i'm just a nerd huh.gif
but the last one i saw was when they tried to make a civil war rocket out of plumbing parts XD though i'm suprised it worked smile.gif
Fushi
Mythbusters is wonderful. Heck the whole Discovery Channel is wonderful. =3

But it's cool because when someone you know brings up an urban myth, you can say "Ha! I know if that's true/not true" and then go into detail about why and look all smart.

I also learnt something important from Mythbusters. Whenever I go for a job interview, I should not eat poppy seed bagels for breakfast. :|
ScarMySoul
I was watching that the other day and it was about The quickest way to cool down a six pack. That was amuzing.

drworm
I want to have the Mythbusters' jobs! THey get paid to blow things up and disprove silly myths. Both some of my favorite hobbies (especially the blowing things up)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.