Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vol. 4 (English, North American Version, Chapters 13, 14, 15, 16 & Gaiden: Dogs Of The Military)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Ladymercury
I'm surprised there's no discussion for the vol. 4 release xD Well, its out in North America so what do you think of Viz attempts at this volume? I was like ' nuuuuuu no shinny cover ', I wonder why they did that? Cut on costs? Will the action figure editions have a shinny color??

What did you guys think?
miss_neko
what color is the cover?
Dingbat
Brownish. It has Scar, Lust and Gluttony on it. I was rather blanched by the lack of shinyness too. Oh well I still snagged it anyway.
Glam
Yeah, I got it too (NOO! No shinyness!) Did anybody get the one with the figure of ed or al?
Wyrd_Raven
Well aside from some minor language choices/ Engrish attack (Ishvar to anime's take with Ishbal and Lior possibly now being Reole unless its something else) it was a nice read. I like the differences in the manga compared to the TV series. Plus the Ultimate Fusion image at the end in the omake page.
animefangirl
i havent seen one with ed and al and im not buying till i find it !
vfdj42
I was looking forward to this volume because Black Hayate's in it! SO CUTE. And Roy's speech about dogs was in it, but not in the online scanlation that I read. I didn't like Hughes at first, but his death makes me sad, mainly because of Roy. "This is rain". Always almost makes me cry.
Ladymercury
I was like, when they showed Hughes and his family I was like *crack into millions of pieces* Just because I knew what was going to happen... it was so sad. First he's all happy and then he's *irk*.
DustStorm
When did it come out? I am going to buy it tomorrow.
Ladymercury
This version came out like a week ago.
Jen_Elric
I got it Thursady, but didn't start reading it til last night, cuz I wanted to finish up the novel. I only read the first chapter, and it's good! I will cry about Hughes, though. T_T
Nepharski
As soon as I see it on a bookshelf, I'm buying it.
The Krazy one
Yeah, I got it yesterday from My cousin. *_____* I must be patient until volumes 7 and 8... GREEED SAMA!!!!

But this volume was good, I liked that Scar came out more in this volume. smile.gif
Nepharski
QUOTE(The Krazy one @ Nov 19 2005, 09:37 AM) [snapback]317062[/snapback]

Yeah, I got it yesterday from My cousin. *_____* I must be patient until volumes 7 and 8... GREEED SAMA!!!!

But this volume was good, I liked that Scar came out more in this volume. smile.gif

Just bought it. Horay! Now Bradley's on the scene ( cool.gif ).
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(Glam @ Nov 10 2005, 01:46 AM) [snapback]311798[/snapback]

Yeah, I got it too (NOO! No shinyness!) Did anybody get the one with the figure of ed or al?

yes!!! i got Edo!! it's very smexy tongue.gif but nooo shiny-ness for me T_T maybe the next one? and about Hughes Death. i already saw it in teh anime why must they torture me by putting it in the manga too! sad.gif XDDD
Singhay
Is a volume every two months like Wikipedia says?
MasterKris
too bad I already have vol. 5!! tongue.gif
Nepharski
QUOTE(Singhay @ Dec 29 2005, 01:16 AM) [snapback]334708[/snapback]

Is a volume every two months like Wikipedia says?

Yes, indeed.

Col. 5 comes out January. Can't say I like the cover much, though.
The Great Asparagus
*gasp* no shiny covers anymore? i was just musing last week how cool the shiny covers were!! oh well... Anywaysee, I hope this isn't too terribly off topic, but since I'm talking about the manga released in the U.S., I was rereading vol. 3 and I was pretty disappointed to see that the way they had it translated, Barry never said "I'll take you apart nice and neat. Don't worry, just scream" when he was battling Al at the 5th lab. That was one of my favorite quotes, but instead he said something like "I'm gonna come after youuu" or something. ;_; in a way, I'm starting to think the scanlations are better than the official translations. Oh welly.
Nepharski
QUOTE(The Great Asparagus @ Dec 29 2005, 02:27 PM) [snapback]334836[/snapback]

*gasp* no shiny covers anymore? i was just musing last week how cool the shiny covers were!! oh well... Anywaysee, I hope this isn't too terribly off topic, but since I'm talking about the manga released in the U.S., I was rereading vol. 3 and I was pretty disappointed to see that the way they had it translated, Barry never said "I'll take you apart nice and neat. Don't worry, just scream" when he was battling Al at the 5th lab. That was one of my favorite quotes, but instead he said something like "I'm gonna come after youuu" or something. ;_; in a way, I'm starting to think the scanlations are better than the official translations. Oh welly.

Bare in mind that the scantilations are unnofficial translations, and any quotes from them have a relatively good chance of being mistranslated from the original text. If you're really interested in what Barry's true words were...learn Japanese.
Ladymercury
Yes, yes, that is true. Japanese is transliterated, meaning it be translated to come close to what was actually said or nothing close to it. So, yeah, its better off learning Japanese.
Qeomash
Or, it could be either the scanlator or official group took some creative liberties.

I'm just glad they left in my favorite quote.

(Talking about Scar)
Gluttony: Can I eat him?
Lust: Gluttony?
Gluttony: Hm?
Lust: Don't leave a single hair.
Gluttony: *grin*
Nepharski
QUOTE(Qeomash @ Dec 31 2005, 02:06 PM) [snapback]335634[/snapback]

Or, it could be either the scanlator or official group took some creative liberties.

I'm just glad they left in my favorite quote.

(Talking about Scar)
Gluttony: Can I eat him?
Lust: Gluttony?
Gluttony: Hm?
Lust: Don't leave a single hair.
Gluttony: *grin*

"Eat until nothing is left!!!"
Ladymercury
Artistic liberties sometimes suck XD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.