Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: U.S. Release Of FMA Manga (English Version) Coming Out?! By Who?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
edakraz241
~ U.s. Release Of Fma Manga (english Version)?, thread closed since we have U.S. release of FMA Vol. books now ~

Has anyone heard anything about the manga being released in the US and who's releasing it?
The manga has not been licensed yet in the US. (Hong Kong, Taiwan: Yes, US: No)
Ayumi
In korea too~^^ I have the korean ver. Hm...I dont think its licensed in US
Omakase Shimasu
Hmm, I hope TokyoPop will get the rights though. From what I've seen of their current works... They've done a good job up 'till now. Not to mention that it gives me more of a chance to actually find it in the bookstore near here. tongue.gif
I bet Viz will get it, just to spite everyone.. they tend to do things like that. Like with Funimation.
AoiSora
Well, I am not so sure about this one, I have never seen a SquareEnix title brought out in the US so far. There were some old SquareEnix titles, but they were bought out by Blade comics and are now going to come out in the US through ADV Manga (like Peacemaker Kurogane and Loki), So they don't count. But I do hope some body does. I am not sure if it just that SquareEnix publishing doesn't want to let the rights go or what. But if it popular enough (which it looks like it will be, but you never know with the american audiance) Some one should pick it up. But then again, Naruto Anime is hella popular, but no one has yet picked it up (maybe because they are to busy fighting over it?) but here is to hope!
Roy
If Viz gets it, I'm leaving.
Chibi Viki
Naruto is already licensed in the US. Actually, it's part of Shonen Jump USA by Viz including DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho and Shaman King. Accdg. to narutofan.com, the US Naruto manga dialogue has been changed to suit kids, so no cursing.

yeah, I too hope that tokyopop gets FMA. Actually, we could put up a petition for it to tokyopop... after all, that's the reason why they got Fruits Basket and Saiyuki in the first place. But, the thing is, when it gets licensed... goodbye scanlations so... ~_~
Omakase Shimasu
A petition sounds great! *___* If it gets them to license it, I'm all for it!

But.. now that you mention it... <__< I can't go without scanlations - not now. So, if they do manage to license it, let it be once the manga's done and the scanlations are safely stored away on my comp. At least that way I can take my time getting the money and waiting for the shipments to arrive. I hate to wait. tongue.gif
Queen of the dammed
At least the chinese ones will be up to date...
wolfi1412
if they release it in the US, are they gonna release it in Canada? hope so..
Aqua_Alchemist

If they don't release it in Europe *sharpening axe* lol.
hakai-kun
yeah. if/when it get's liscensed, i hope it's after the series ends. i like the scanlations. just because i'm cheap like that. dry.gif
i'm the kinda person who sits in the books store and reads the books just so i don't have to buy it tongue.gif
wolfi1412
lol.. haven't been to the bookstore for a while... anyways, I don't wanna read the whole manga there, I just wanna buy the artbook, the perfect guide book, and the comedy book thing
MaesHughes33
The only FMA Manga ive read online was on this website...
BlueRakuen
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Sep 25 2004, 12:30 AM)

Dunno about the other part of Cnd but in Quebec we get pretty much all the US release. Just gotta dig up to find an english bookstore that sells manga.

Still gotta wait.... it's not the same feeling reading the manga online than on real paper ^^

Just hope they get released in english before french, cuz I know I'm gonna buy the first who comes out. And I don't wanna picture an Ed speaking frenchie french
"Putin d'enfant de fils de pute" o.0 ... that would just sound weird
xrninja
yeah, i'm hoping tokyopop will end up getting it too...even though i don't really like how they translate getbackers, fruits basket and their other stuff looks pretty good....and it's affordable too! smile.gif when viz had ranma before, they used to be $15.95 per book.....granted it was great quality but yeesh, $16? tokyopop's $9.99 is reasonable enough and i like the whole reading from right to left thing. shonen jumps's are only like...$7.99 but it's sort of cheaply printed and i don't love their translations either. hmm but it'd be nice if tokyopop would wait until the manga finishes in japan, so all of us can get our monthy scans and scanlations rolleyes.gif

i'm the kinda person who sits in the books store and reads the books just so i don't have to buy it

hahah me too XD that's the beauty of borders and barnes and noble....kinokuniya wraps their manga in plastic though dry.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Yes, so let's get this partition rolling! tongue.gif
Kasumi
Yeah, I'm hoping the manga won't be licensed until it's finished in Japan as well. We need our monthly dose of FMA. laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif I honestly thought you were going to say RxR moments there, Kasumi! tongue.gif
Kasumi
laugh.gif Ok, let me rephrase that. We need our monthly dose of RxR moments. XD
Omakase Shimasu
Yush, that's the Kasumi I know! laugh.gif

....what am I saying.. More Ed! More Ed! More Ed! Scrap that, RoyxEd! RoyxEd! RoyxEd! tongue.gif
Kasumi
laugh.gif You realize you're going up against everyone in the RxR thread, right?
Omakase Shimasu
*stops immediately* ph34r.gif But you'll protect me from their vegetables, won't you? *pleading eyes*
Kasumi
Maybe. rolleyes.gif
Omakase Shimasu
"Maybe"? Just a "maybe"? Traitor of my friendship, you are. tongue.gif Hehe, well I've got Vael, Prinz, Hakai, BlueRakuen, animelover & Lord to back me up! Whooo, lookit all the fans of FMA shonen-ai~ biggrin.gif;; It'll never come close to your RxR community, but we're growing.
Kasumi
laugh.gif The RxR community is growing too.
Omakase Shimasu
Still!?? O_O That's not fair~ You're community doesn't need to grow, just give some of your members to us! It's for a good cause, I assure you. tongue.gif
Kasumi
Sorry, can't help you there. I'm sure none of the members want to leave the RxR fandom. laugh.gif

It's for a good cause, I assure you. tongue.gif

This sounds suspicious, are you up to something? tongue.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Wut? Lil' ol' me? *bats lashes* I wouldn't dare!

Hmmm, maybe I should infiltrate the RoyxRiza thread and see what exactly goes on in there... $_$
Kasumi
Yes, you should. Maybe after going through the thread, you'll want to join our ever-growing community. laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Wohohohohohoho~ Maybe I'll sneak in, copy the works and make a RoyxEd thread based on your actions. XD Wohohoho~

tongue.gif I won't, I promise. But you know it's gonna take me days to go through the entire thread. rolleyes.gif You guys talk way too much.
Kasumi
laugh.gif You'll be going through 38 pages. <--That's the part 2 thread. So, if you're going to go through everything, you'll be looking through 65 pages. tongue.gif
Omakase Shimasu
@___@ I don't really feel up to that. Understandable, right? tongue.gif Hehe, but I promise myself and you I'm certainly gonna try. RoyxRiza ain't so bad. Not really. biggrin.gif

Just one q: did you guys manage to stay on-topic all the time?
Kasumi
I remember talking about LanFanxHavoc at one point, but we usually stay on topic.
Omakase Shimasu
Figures you would. It's RxR afterall! tongue.gif laugh.gif
Kasumi
Exactly! tongue.gif
wolfi1412
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 25 2004, 09:49 PM)
@___@ I don't really feel up to that. Understandable, right? tongue.gif Hehe, but I promise myself and you I'm certainly gonna try. RoyxRiza ain't so bad. Not really. biggrin.gif

Just one q: did you guys manage to stay on-topic all the time?

Have you learn anything?? no thread stays on topic!!
well, as Kasumi says, we did talks about other pairing besides RoyxRiza, but none of them involves Roy or Riza..

and you better be sorry..about that royxed thing... *killing aura* *evil eyes*.. mad.gif
Omakase Shimasu
*hides behind Kasumi* A "maybe"'s as good as a yes IMHO! tongue.gif She's got the "evil eyes" ph34r.gif

laugh.gif And why should I apologize for what I like? tongue.gif (or did you mean stealing your ideas? cuz in that case I didn't mean it! tongue.gif)
Kasumi
*protects Kase* Don't worry! I'll protect you! (As long as she doesn't start throwing eggs and tomatoes) laugh.gif
angieness
It's inevitable that the manga will get picked up especially with the series coming to Adult Swim. BUT it will probably be a while because while the manga is 8 volumes it's a monthly series instead of a weekly like most. Most companies don't want to end up with another Blade of the Immortal on their hands and have to only release 1 book a year when it catches up to Japan. That way not only do the fans have to wait, but people would lose interest when there's a vast amount of other series that come out bimonthly or so they could collect instead.

Tokyopop would be nice but Dark Horse would be the absolute best case scenario. They've done a beautiful job with Blade, Berserk, Trigun, and Hellsing. While their titles come out a bit slower and the price is a few dollars more, they have high quality stuff. Tokyopop would be second best simply because their fast, cheap, and their quality is improving all the time, plus they're starting to keep -sans, -chans, etc. in. Viz wouldn't be bad at all, I mean they do a wonderful job on titles that aren't in SJ. Comicsone would probably be a worst case scenario. And for all we know DC would pick it up since they're jumping into the biz, it's likely because they're starting out and looking for strong titles, plus they have money to blow on liscenses
wolfi1412
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Sep 26 2004, 12:01 AM)
*protects Kase* Don't worry! I'll protect you! (As long as she doesn't start throwing eggs and tomatoes) laugh.gif

*holds a bucketful of water bombs and berries* Ha! I won't use tomatoes or eggs coz they cost money! water are free in Canada, and raspberries too!

*starts shooting*
You people are really blind!!!

The only true relationship existing in FMA is how Armstrong is in love with himself!!! laugh.gif

*See these muscles!*
Chibi Viki
hahahaha...

anyway, kase, you should understand why the RxR community is growing here... if you venture out of this site, you'll find tons of RoyEd, EdAl and all those yaoi pairings and barely any straight ones. as i said before, this forum has become a collective sanctuary for not only RxR fans, but other straight couple fans as well...

ok, going back to topic, if tokyopop waits for fma to finish, it'll take a long while before they'll license it since, from what had just transpired in chap 39, looks like fma manga will run for quite a long time. it comes out once a month after all.
Omakase Shimasu
Hmmm, I really don't know. To be honest I can't find much of anything concerning pairings. biggrin.gif Most of it are general sites, fanlistings, some doujinshi, oekaki/fanart etc. But since I'm not particularly looking for anything hetero... Hmm.. And FF.net's FMA section's still growing. Hehe, I managed to make it till page 10 of the RxR thread before sleep conquered my being. biggrin.gif <-- *proud of self now*

And about "that" (dunno what exactly laugh.gif): this is so far the only FMA centered forum I could find. The only place where you can talk "directly" with people. T__T Oh well...

On-topic: than I suppose it's a good thing the manga's not finished yet. Can't live without my scanlations! <__< Even though it'll probably be peppered with RxR moments from now on... That's what you get if a woman does shonen. tongue.gif

P.S: Thank you Kasumi!! You're my hero~ biggrin.gif
Kasumi
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Sep 26 2004, 02:44 AM)
QUOTE(Kasumi @ Sep 26 2004, 12:01 AM)

*holds a bucketful of water bombs and berries* Ha! I won't use tomatoes or eggs coz they cost money! water are free in Canada, and raspberries too!

*starts shooting*

*runs*

QUOTE(Chibi Viki)
ok, going back to topic, if tokyopop waits for fma to finish, it'll take a long while before they'll license it since, from what had just transpired in chap 39, looks like fma manga will run for quite a long time. it comes out once a month after all.

Which will make it more likely that they'll license the manga before it ends in Japan. From the looks of things, the manga would probably last for 2-3 more years, at the very least. I highly doubt Tokyopop would wait, considering how popular FMA is.

QUOTE(Omakase Shimase)
P.S: Thank you Kasumi!! You're my hero~ biggrin.gif

Anytime! biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
the only bad thing about this is that evil genius and yebyosh may stop scanlating them since it's licensed so we'll have to wait a year and a half (one volume per 2-3 months) to catch up to where we left off. by then, i would think that most fans would have moved on to other animes.
Kasumi
I'm pretty sure Yebyosh and Evil Genius will stop scanlating them if they're licensed.

And like I said before:

We need our monthly dose of RxR moments!
Shiroi
I think I'd die if I was suddenly and abruptly cut off from the latest chapters. T.T And most scanslators actually do stop their projects as soon as a title gets licenced, even though fansubbers sometimes keep going. All the more reason to learn Japanese. *Grumbles*

Viz sounds like the WORST thing that could happen to FMA. So far they've botched pretty much everything, and they don't seem to be learning. Before, they sold bulky $15 volumes with flipped artwork, corny wordings, and blocky translated sound effects like everyone else. Now, they sell $10 and $8 normal volumes with normal artwork with horrible translations and STILL the blocky sound effects!

Surely anything is better than Viz. However, I'm not cheering for Tokyopop either. My main peave with them is what they still do to names. -.- Sometimes they come out with an amazing translation, and sometimes they do a really bad job. For example, in DNAngel, everyone was suddenly on a first-name basis. Also, while they don't replace sound effects with bocky letters anymore, they sometimes forget to translate them.

I've never actually read Black Horse translations, so I can't judge them. I have read ADV and Del Rey, and I'd say either of those does a better job than Tokyopop. Del Rey does a really good job with names, and even explains honorifics and their absense. They're just small and take several months to release something. ADV is not bad either. They put a lot of effort into not altering the artwork. Both have very informative cultural notes.

Since FMA has mostly English names and situations to begin with, I don't think it's very easy for anyone to kill the translation that badly, but for the same reason, I highly doubt any of the honorifics will be kept. (Since they don't really fit to begin with.) In this case, Tokyopop getting the lisence wouldn't be bad at all. They'd certainly be the fastest unless they feel like torturing everyone.

However, FMA is also very shounen, and Viz loves licencing shounen series. I can just imagine the aweful bubbly letters already! X_x

Oh, by the way, I heard a rumor on some site about FMA manga having been licenced already, but whoever got it wasn't revealed yet. I really hope it isn't true.
AoiSora
QUOTE(Shiroi @ Sep 26 2004, 09:03 PM)

Viz sounds like the WORST thing that could happen to FMA.  So far they've botched pretty much everything, and they don't seem to be learning.

The reason they don't leave and get a lot of Shounen titles is because they are part owned by Shueisha. They are the ones that publish Shounen Jump in Japan.

You would think with that kind of background, they would do a better job!

Well I am actually hoping that Square Enix will bring it out themselves. I mean Enix was a really big publishing company before they combined. It wouldn't hurt if they jumped in the american manga market. They could published their own game guides too, like they started to in Japan (which help put Digi Cube in bankruptcy)

But this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.