Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Game
Pages: 1, 2
Plastic Yakuza
Anyone get this game yet. I've been drooling over the commercials trying to decide what I can go without a bit to buy it. Its between food for a week or rent right now. Any way, anyone have any impressions of the game to share?
Roy
What the hell. Go without food for two weeks, three if that's what it takes, and buy it. It's sooooo worth it.
AoiSora
It is a really cool and complex game! I am really enjoying it. I have only played about 9 hours, and haven't gotten very far. I want to make sure I haven't missesd anything. The map completion can be a little tedious, but that add to the difficulty. Some reviews says it is to hard, especally the item creation. But I am looking forward to it. I have been waiting so long for the english version, I bet it will be so worth it! And I think some of those reviews are lazy! To hard! It was like this in Star Ocean 2, I guess they forgot! dry.gif stupid lazy people.....
Chibi Viki
i didn't finish Star Ocean 2... i got frustrated with the game. its seemed like no matter how high a level i get in a low level plane, random high level monsters will still get me.

ahehehe, i remember this one character in the game... the reporter girl... anyway, although she's a good character, i just couldn't stomache to use her. she has this one fighting line: "EEEEEEE-HOOOO!!!" and she sounds like a donkey. i didn't want to trun off voice over since it's so fun listening to their voices while they fight... this is the one part of the game that i couldn't forget.

oh, Star Ocean 2 was turned into an anime... Star Ocean Ex... i still didn't watch it though.
AoiSora
Really? I really like Star Ocean 2. The anime is ok... but it has one of those.. "Yeah and we need to do this, this and this!" Endings... but sadly it ends. So they never really finish their quest. To know the end, you have to finish the game.

BTW Geneon is going to bring the anime to the US.. finally. But like I said, unless you like the game, it will probably be an ok series to get.
Chibi Viki
so... does anybody know if this game is worth playing? i've read some reviews... they're good so far, but i need personal opinions about it...
AoiSora
Yes it is a good game, so far (I haven't finished yet) But I like Star Ocean, and I like challenges. So As long as you do, you should like it too. Frustration is my Friend, is he yours?

Oh be prepared to spend a lot of time on it. To see every ending you have to at least play 3 times!
Chibi Viki
multiple endings are a dedicated rpg fan's bestfriend. :,3

frustrations are okay as long as they're not too much that i'd throw the joystick at my tv for it.
Plastic Yakuza
Star Ocean EX was rather disappointing. It followed the game fairly closely with a few filler episodes but got canceled before they reached the second disc. there is suppose to be a series based off of the gbc Blue Sphere but quite a bit of time has passed since I last heard any news on that so it looks liek it got dropped.

I look forward to the challenge. Love a hard game. Too many rpgs are just so easy. Hopefully there will bea lot in this one like the second game to keep my occupied for a long time. Also hoping for better endings. Not just the same few with a hundred minor alterations.
AoiSora
That is so true for the second game. I didn't bother with most of the endings. Just all the Claude and Rena ones. The one on SO3 I want is the Fate and Sophia one. So that is the one I am working for. But for once I am happy to see the English side get all the extras of a directors cut in Japan. I guess our paitence was quickly rewarded! laugh.gif
Roy
The challenge gets less and less. I beat the last boss in 2 minutes/
Chibi Viki
so what are SO3's features compared to SO2?
AoiSora
QUOTE(Roy @ Sep 30 2004, 07:59 AM)
The challenge gets less and less. I beat the last boss in 2 minutes/

Really? What about the item creation? I have been distracted with other games (FMA-Dream Carnival and replaying KH again) so I haven't gotten very far as I would like to have. Have you fought the Bonus bosses? I was happy to see the the Valkyrie Profile characters are getting a second chance!
Roy
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 30 2004, 02:02 PM)
so what are SO3's features compared to SO2?

Very similar to SO2. Private Actions are handled differently and less efficiently; there's no world map, so you can't say, split up in Peterny or whatever. Instead, your party automatically splits and you have to talk to people at just the right time to get the PAs. It made me miss a good chunk of the PAs in the game. I'm gonna play through a second time to see all of them.

Also, item creation is a complete drag. You'll have NO idea what you're doing unless you have a strategy guide, and even when you do know what you're doing, making the correct item is a hit-or-miss at best. Kind of unfortunate since without Item Creation, you'll wind up getting totally screwed. I had to have a weapon with eight attack + 500 attributes before I was able to beat a certain boss, and the items that created that weapon I only created out of sheer luck. After wasting my time with the item creation, I gave up and bought the strategy guide and just aimed for the items I needed/wanted. Also, some of the requirements to get the better item creators are absurdly difficult to fulfill. I spent literally five hours plugging away at ~2,000,000 Fol and ended up with 32 Fol, and no item for the item creator I wanted to recruit. Of course, I reset after that but that item creator was essential in increasing Sophia's effectiveness in battle. I'm gonna try getting the ATK + 1000 scroll and synthing it with a Veinslay first before I do anything esle with this game.

As for bonus bosses, I beat Gabriel Celesta, but Lenneth is being a bitch and keeps using Nibelung Valesti on me (*@&^#*ing cheap ass attack). I'm gonna go power level some more (At level 206 right now) and get back to fighting her again.
Chibi Viki
I was happy to see the the Valkyrie Profile characters are getting a second chance!

EH?! who made a comeback? valkyrie? lezard? odin? freya? i wish it was valkyrie though... she kicked major ass! the goddess version of GS3's Chris Lightfellow.

Also, item creation is a complete drag. You'll have NO idea what you're doing unless you have a strategy guide, and even when you do know what you're doing, making the correct item is a hit-or-miss at best.

sounds like the item alchemy part of FMA:Dream Carnival, only more frustrating. just how many characters are there in SO3?
AoiSora
Valkyrie does! Lenneth (7000000 HP), Ethereal Queen (10000000 HP) and Freya (20000000 HP)!
Chibi Viki
hurray for valkyrie! biggrin.gif

i didn't know they had the same developers, actually.
AoiSora
Tri-Ace. They make both.
Plastic Yakuza
I dind't know there were Valyrie Profile characters in the game. I want it even more now. May pick up the strat guide as well.

Still need to finish Valkyrie Profile. Somewhere on the second disc yet.
Chibi Viki
i only played valkyrie profile once... the only character i liked is valkyrie. i definitely enjoyed the battle system ^^

EDIT: i've just begun playing SO3... so far, i find sophia annoying... sorry guys, so far the characters don't interest me. but maybe it'll get better later so i may change my mind about this game.

but i must admit, the graphics are spectacular! the signature of squaresoft!
Chibi Viki
after playing through the lenghty introduction...

ok... i'm starting to like this game... i'm starting to enjoy this game... hehehe, hello, cliff and mirage... my don't you guys remind me of a certain flame alchemist and his aide :,3
RoyxRiza BigFan
i never had a chance to try out this game...so highly rated..but so hard to find the first one over here TOT
Chibi Viki
well, it took me a while to get myself to play this game. it needs a bit of getting used to from the start. i still haven't reached the part where you could cook or make items though... but i'm definetly glad that sophia's out of the picture for a while. and things started to pick up w/ the introduction of new and mature characters like cliff, mirage and nel.
Sniper
its really good mine had a problem it works fine on my boyfriends ps2 but then it doesn't work on mine. i can't it any of the buttons or use any of the commands. it worked fine for like two days when i got it. i don't know what happened can anyone help me?
Fayt
I am new here so tell me if I make anything confusing...

I got the game when it first came out and the next day I beat it in 12 hours well the story part dry.gif . (I know it's weird but I really didn't have anything to do that day). I was able to get a hundred pecent battle trophys and well I am a game freak, like in a person who plays a lot of video games, but I really don't play that much mon-thurs. biggrin.gif
Black Rose
I completely love this game
Quistis88
Please tell us why you love this game so much. I myself have not had a chance to look into this game very much, but the soundtrack is quite nice.
InnocentlyStupid
My friend got it for Christmas... But I never got to see her play it, she just said it was awesom.
hitokiri
solid game though the battle engine takes a bit to master. excellent invention system, until you figure it out that is; then its just a matter of playing the odds. love the side games... overall pretty good game with nice CGI
Askari0
My friend got it for christmas and he wont let me play! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

yay 300th post!!!!w00t!!! ohmy.gif
Phoenix_alchemist
I love this game, the music's pretty good and the battle system is nice.

My only complaint is that for a 'sci-fi' game, you spend half the time on a medieval planet.
Black Rose
I guess I love the system completely, the battle system is awesome but it's not so hard and I love that you can make your own stuff on it
Falling_Man
Yeah... The whole medival planet thing kinda bothered me.
Overall, it was pretty good. The voice acting was all right... They could of done a better job.

Two things: Where is a good place to get some cash? I need that badly...

And someone have tips on fighting

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Thanks.
Soru
for sooties I advise hit from afar or your pretty much dead in a flash meh I hate their 468000 and beyond hp
eerabbit
my goodness...i totally suck at this game _ _;; i cant even figure out that norton dude's code from the very beginning _ _;; im just not good at video games
Fayt
I got it the second day ot came out.

And just wait until you fight the extra boss Freya who is freakin annoying for her attacks drains your mp dry.gif
Black Rose
Medieval thing never really bugged me
but come on you can make your own stuff potions, weapons, armor, books, food the whole lot!!! Even synthesize weopons!!!!
(Guess where I spend all my time?! wink.gif )
Negi
I like this game alot. I am at the part where i need to get copper in the dragon cave for the runilogical weapon. does anyone know if Roger comes back? he was in the game for like 2 battles for me. 1 field battle and a boss battle
Negi
whoops my comp screwed up and made me double post. If a mod sees this please delete it
Ava_Michelle
I love Star Ocean 3, but it's not as good as it should have been. The character design and backdrops are lovely, but the animations and voice acting leave something to be desired. The story line is good, and it's a fairly well-paced game, but the PA's are b!tches to find, and the item creation bogs the game down a bit. But watching Albel Nox attempt to cook is rather amusing...

Over all, it's an okay game with a battle system that's fun, and a lot of potential. I'd give it a 7.5/10.
Albel Nox
As you can tell from my name, i love Star Ocean till the end of time. this game has the best storyline i've ever heard of. It also has awesome cutscenes like when the vendeni appear while the war is going on on Eliccor. It was so cool watching the Thunder Arrows and Dragons try to attack the ship. I also dont see whats wrong with the voicing. I think the voices fit the characters perfectly.
Black Rose
my goodness...i totally suck at this game _ _;; i cant even figure out that norton dude's code from the very beginning _ _;; im just not good at video games

This one had me stuck for a little while what you do is just look around in painful detail and a number will be written somewhere i.e 6 could be written on a wall and once you get all numbers go back and jumble them up until you get the right combination
Albel Nox
be careful though, you only get 3 trys at the code so save it before trying.
Black Rose
^ yep forgot that part
and Albel does rock!!! I finally got him in my team permanetly!!!! biggrin.gif
Albel Nox
i have him on my team now too. but just until i fight the dragon crossel. My guide says that i can get either Nel, Albel, or Roger as my permanent 7th member. I'm gonna get nel cause i've read that you can get Albel later.
harmony_kh_kairi
I love this game I'm currently playing it through for the third time to get all the extra stuff and pretty much do everything possible (especially getting 100% battle trophies). The battle system was great in my opinion, the graphics were absolutly beautiful, and I thought that the voice acting was super. The only thing that bugged me is like everyone says its a sci-fi game and yet you spend half the game on a medieval planet.
Black Rose
My guide says that i can get either Nel, Albel, or Roger as my permanent 7th member. I'm gonna get nel cause i've read that you can get Albel later.

I don't think your guaranteed to get Albel because along the way (it's either before or after the dragon bit) Albel will ask you Questions and you have to pick the right answers like if you rest in the Peterney Inn a clip will happen and Albel will ask Fayt a question you have to answer correctly and after the clip once it's over if you find Albel in Peterney he'll ask you another question and so forth, oh yeah and Peppita is an optional 7th as well

[SPOILER]Later in the game either Albel or Nel will save you if you answer the questions correctly it'll be Albel that saves you instead of Nel.[/spoiler]
Albel Nox
well, i have a strategy guide. it says that to get albel or roger as a permanent 7th member, u have to do the question thing with them. for nel, u dont do anything cause she is the default. pepita and another elicorian and albel are optional for the 8th permanent member. i am reading my guide right now and it says u have another chance to get albel when u return to elicoor 2 later on.
Black Rose
ah well he saved me the first time
Sara
Graphics,grat
Gameplay great,
Voice over great
overall score...10/10
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.