Disclaimer: I don’t own Fullmetal Alchemist or the song 100 Years

A/N: This is a Denny Bloch/Maria Ross songfic. I absolutely adore the idea of this pairing and I love the song 100 Years by Five For Fighting. ENJOY!

100 Years

Private Denny Bloch wondered through the hallways of the Central Military Headquarters. It was his first day and he didn’t really know his way around yet.

When Denny had received his orders, he was told to report to Warrant Officer Ross. Apparently he and Ross were to be partners.

“Hey there, you look lost,” came a voice from behind. Denny turned to see a smiling man with black hair and glasses. “Are you new here?”

“Uh, yeah I am,” Denny replied as he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly, “Im looking for Warrant Officer Ross.”

“Oh, you must be Denny Bloch. Hi, Im Captain Maes Hughes and this...” Hughes pulled a photograph out of his uniform pocket, “IS MY LOVELY WIFE GRACIA. ISN’T SHE JUST THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN YOU HAVE EVER SEEN? COME ON, YOU THINK SHE’S HOT DON’T YOU?”

“I guess so,” Denny said.

“I’ve got more pictures. I’ll show them to you later,” Hughes said as he put the picture away, “Anyways, just follow me Denny. I’ll take you to Ross.”

Denny followed Hughes through the long maze of hallways. Finally they came to a small office. As they entered, Denny noticed a girl with short dark brown hair filling out some paperwork.

‘Wow, she’s really cute,’ Denny thought to himself, ‘I wonder who she is.’

The woman looked up and noticed Hughes. Quickly she got up from her desk and saluted, “Good morning Captain Hughes sir.”

“Good morning Warrant Officer Ross,” Hughes told her.

‘That’s Ross,’ Denny thought, his eyes wide with surprise, ‘Ross is a girl?’

“Private Denny Bloch,” Hughes said as he turned to Denny, “This is Warrant Officer Maria Ross.”

“Oh yes Private Bloch,” Maria walked over to Denny and extended her hand to him, “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“You too,” Denny said, getting over his initial shock as he shook her hand, “I mean it’s nice to meet you too Warrant Officer Ross.”

“I’ll leave you two alone so you can get to know each other,” Hughes said as he left, his intuition telling him that there was chemistry between the two already.

“So did Hughes introduce you to his pictures of Gracia yet?” Maria asked with a smile, trying to help Denny feel more comfortable.

“Oh yeah, “Gracia” and I have met,” Denny replied. He and Maria then broke into a fit of laughter.

“Anyways,” Maria said after calming down, “I look forward to working with you and getting to know you better Private Bloch.”

“Same here Warrant Officer Ross.”

I’m 15 for a moment

Caught in between 10 and 20

And I’m just dreaming

Counting the ways to where you are

As time went on, Denny began to see Maria as more than just a friend and comrade. Just seeing her smile or hearing her laugh made his day. He always wanted to be by her side. Denny had never felt for another woman the way he felt for Maria.

Maria was the one he loved.

However, there was one problem. Maria’s boyfriend Jeffery. Jeffery was from one of the wealthiest families in Central. His father was a higher up in the military. That was the only reason Jeffery managed to become a commissioned officer.

Jeffery was a first class jerk in Denny’s book. The guy treated Maria so poorly. He neglected her most of the time and only treated her with respect when it was convenient for him. Whenever Maria considered leaving him, Jeffery would shower her with a couple of romantic words and promised that he would change. Maria was smart but she could be a little naive at times. She would give Jeffery another chance but he never did change.

“Good morning Lieutenant,” Denny said as Maria entered the office that morning. He quickly noticed that she looked very upset, “Something wrong?”

“I don’t know why I put up with that man,” was all Maria said.

“What happened?” Denny asked. He was always willing to give her a shoulder to cry on.

“Jeffery and I were supposed to have a date last night,” Maria began, “I waited for him for two hours before he called to tell me that he couldn’t make it. I don’t understand. Am I just not good enough?”

“You listen to me Maria Ross,” Denny said firmly, “He’s the one who’s not good enough. If he cant see the amazing woman that you really are then you don’t need him.”

“Denny,” Maria whispered. She had never heard him talk that way before.

“I know for a fact that there is someone out there who truly loves you Maria. Someone who will love you forever,” Denny continued, “You may even realize that this someone is a lot closer than you think.”

I’m 22 for a moment

She feels better than ever

And we’re on fire

Making our way back from Mars

“Happy Birthday Maria,” Denny said excitedly as he sat a small cake in front of his girlfriend.

Maria smiled as she looked at the cake. It was a little lopsided and was frosted sloppily with globs of chocolate icing.A single candle burned in the middle. It was obvious that Denny had made it himself and Maria absolutely loved it.

“Make a wish,” Denny said. Maria closed her eyes, thinking for a few seconds before blowing out the candle. “Well, what did you wish for?”

“If I tell you then my wish wont come true,” Maria told him.

“Aw come on,” Denny said before kissing Maria softly on the neck a couple of times.

“Nope Im not going to tell you,” Maria said with a giggle.

“Fine then, be that way,” Denny said jokingly, “It’s time for your birthday present anyways.”

“Oh Denny, I told you not to go through any trouble,” Maria said. She thought that spending her birthday with him was enough.

“Well I wanted to and this gift is special,” Denny said. His expression became very serious, “Now Maria, I don’t want you to accept this gift because you feel obligated to. If you really don’t want it then I’ll understand.”

Denny got down on one knee and took Maria’s hand. His other hand reached into his pocket. “Maria, I don’t think I can ever tell you in words just how much I love you. I thought that maybe this would do the talking for me,” Denny pulled a small jewelry box out of his pocket and opened it, revealing the diamond ring inside, “Maria Ross, will you marry me?”

“D...Denny...I...I,” Maria stuttered as she looked at the ring. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she nodded, “Yes. I will.”

Smiling, Denny slid the ring on to Maria’s left ring finger. He rose to his feet and swept Maria into his arms, spinning her around, “I love you so much Maria.”

“I love you too Denny,” Maria said as she clung to him tightly, “my birthday wish just came true.”

15 there’s still time for you

Time to buy and time to lose

15, there’s never a wish better than this

When you only got 100 years to live

Denny woke up early that morning to discover that Maria wasn’t in bed with him. He heard a horrible retching sound coming from the master bathroom.

“Not again,” Denny groaned as he got out of bed and quickly made his way to the bathroom.

He found Maria sitting on the floor clutching her stomach. Denny winced at the sight. He hated to see his beloved wife so uncomfortable. Trying his best to ignore the smell of vomit in the air, Denny knelt down beside her.

“Are you ok?” he asked as he rubbed her back.

“I’ve had better mornings,’ Maria replied groggily.

Denny helped Maria to her feet and back to the bedroom. After getting her settled back into bed, Denny went to the kitchen. He returned a short time later with some hot tea and dry toast, the only things Maria’s sensitive tummy could handle at this time.

“I want you to take the day off and see the doctor,” Denny told his wife, “This has been going on for a couple of weeks now and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.”

Maria had a good idea of what was wrong with her. She had talked with some of the other women at H.Q. about her symptoms. The sudden mood swings, the frequent trips to the bathroom, the strange food cravings and above all that, she had missed her last period. It was fairly obvious what was going on but Maria didn’t want to say anything to Denny until she was absolutely sure. Maybe it was time to go to the doctor and confirm her suspicions.

Later that afternoon, Maria walked through the halls of H.Q. with a content smile on her face. Her ocean blue eyes looked more gentle than usual. She couldn’t wait to tell her husband the news.

She saw Denny leaning back in his chair asleep. Normally, Maria would be rather annoyed with him for dozing off. However, she wouldn’t scold him this time. Quietly, Maria made her way over to him and kissed him softly.

Denny’s eyes fluttered open. His lips curved into a smile when he saw Maria. Wait a minute. Maria? Oh no, she caught him sleeping again. She was definitely going to give him an ear full. “Maria...I didn’t mean to fall asleep...”

“Shhh,” Maria put a finger to his lips, “it’s alright. Im not angry.”

Denny let out a sigh of relief. “So, how are you feeling?”

“Wonderful,” Maria said, beaming with joy, “I’ve never felt better.”

“Oh,” Denny said as he pulled Maria into his lap, “And just what is making you so happy?”

“Denny,” Maria said lovingly as she wrapped her arms around his neck, “We’re going to have a baby.”

I’m 33 for a moment

Still the man, but you see I’m a they

A kid on the way

A family on my mind

Denny and Maria were awoken for the second time that night by their baby daughter’s crying. Little Allie was cutting her first tooth and wasn’t sleeping well because of the pain in her mouth. And if Allie wasn’t sleeping neither were her parents.

“I’ll take care of her this time,” Denny told Maria as she started to get up, “all I want you to do is get some well deserved sleep.”

Maria offered him a sleepy smile as she lay back down. She felt so lucky to have a husband who was so good to her. Her first few months as a new mother had not been easy and she was just exhausted. Denny tried to help out as much as possible. Maria was very thankful for that.

“Daddy’s coming Allie,” Denny called as he walked through the dark hallway to Allie’s room.

Once in the nursery, Denny turned the lamp on. He then lifted his baby girl into his arms. Allies’ crying subsided a tiny bit.

“What’s the matter sweetie. That tooth bothering you again?” Denny asked softly, “That’s no fun is it?”

Denny sat down with the baby in the rocking chair next to the crib. He remembered a little trick that Gracia Hughes told them about. Denny placed his index finger in his daughter’s mouth and massaged her gums gently. It seemed to help because a few minutes later, Allie drifted back to sleep.

Quietly, Denny got up and put Allie back in her crib. He just stood there for a few moments watching her sleep. Never did he think that he and Maria would bring something so beautiful into the world together. Out of the corner of his eye, Denny noticed his wife standing in the doorway.

“I thought I told you to get some sleep,” he whispered.

Smiling, Maria made her way over to him and wrapped her arms around Denny’s waist, resting her head against his chest.Denny placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“I love you, you wonderful woman.”

I’m 45 for a moment

The sea is high

And I’m heading into a crisis

Chasing the years of my life

“Hi Dad,” 14 year old Allie said as she ran down the stairs and to the front door, “bye Dad.”

“Hold it right there,” Denny said causing to Allie come to a halt. “Where are you going in such a hurry?”

“To a friend’s house,” Allie replied.

“And just who is this “friend”?” Denny asked as he crossed his arms over his chest.

Allie sighed. She hated it when her father got over-protective. He always wanted to know where she was at all times, who she was with and if there was going to be at least two adults near by. “Im going to Kevin’s house. We’re only going to study together.”

Kevin? That boy Allie seemed to be so infatuated with nowadays? Denny didn’t like the idea of his little girl going to a boy’s house.

“What did your mother say about all this?”

“She said it was ok,” Allie answered. “And Kevin’s parents are going to be there and everything so can I please go now?”

“Alright,” Denny finally relented. “But if you miss your curfew again, you’ll be grounded for a week. Do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal,” Allie said as she opened the door, “See ya later”

“Maria,” Denny called out as he walked upstairs.

“In here,” Maria called from the bathroom.

Denny entered the bathroom just as Maria was stepping out of the shower.

“Maria, are you aware that your daughter is going over to a boy’s house?”

“Yes hon, Im very aware of that.” Maria said as she slipped into her bathrobe, “she told me about it earlier.”

“I just don’t think I can trust this boy around her.” Denny said.

“You don’t trust any boy within a five mile radius of her Denny,” Maria said. She then smiled. “My father didn’t trust you at first either.”

Denny remembered back to when they were still dating. Maria had taken Denny to her parents home for a weekend so they could get to know him. Mr. Ross practically interrogated him as if he was a criminal. Denny had always told himself that he would never be that kind of father.

“You know, I always planned on being one of those cool parents when I was younger,” Denny said with a small smile. “Instead, Allie just thinks of me as old and uncool.”

“All teenagers think their parents are old and uncool. You’re not the only one,” Maria said as she placed a comforting hand on her husband’s shoulder. Suddenly she got an idea. “You know, it’s Friday night and we do have the house all to ourselves.”

“Well, you’re frisky tonight,” Denny said with a sly grin, forgetting about his worry, “what did you have in mind Mrs. Bloch?”

“Why don’t you come with me and find out,” Maria said seductively as she took Denny’s hand and led him to the bedroom.

Time to buy and time to lose yourself

Within a morning star

15 I’m alright with you

15, there’s never a wish better than this

The years continued to fly by. Allie had recently graduated from high school. Now she was preparing to leave for basic training. It made Denny and Maria so proud that she had decided to follow in their footsteps and join the military.

“Now remember to write to us often and let us know how you’re doing,” Denny told his daughter.

“I promise I’ll send a letter every week,” Allie said as she embraced him.

“Training is tough Allie,” Maria said as she remembered her own experience with basic training, “Are you sure you’re ready for it?”

“I know I am,” Allie said as she pulled away from Denny to hug Maria “I am your daughter after all.”

“ALL ABOARD,” the conductor shouted. All of the young recruits finished saying their goodbyes to their families and began to board the train.

“Well this is it,” Allie said as she picked up her bag, “Bye mom, bye dad. I’ll see you in a couple of months”

“Goodbye sweetie,” Denny said.

“Good luck,” Maria said, “we love you.”

“I love you too,” Allie said as she boarded the train. Five minutes later, the train pulled out of the station.

Maria sighed sadly as she and Denny arrived home. Empty Nest Syndrome was already taking it’s hold on her. She walked upstairs to Allie’s room and sat down on the bed. She never remembered the house being so big and quiet.

“Maria,” Denny said softly as he sat down next to her, “are you alright?”

“Oh Denny,” Maria said, “I wish we could have more children.”

“I know you do honey,” Denny said as he wrapped his arms around her. He too wished for more children. However, having another baby wasn’t an option since Maria had already gone through menopause. “If it makes you feel better, you did a wonderful job raising Allie.”

“You too Denny,” Maria said as she laid her head on her husband’s shoulder, “I never could’ve done it without you.”

Half time goes by

Suddenly you’re wise

Another blink of an eye

67 is gone

The sun is getting high

We’re moving on

Denny and Maria had long since retired from the military. The military had been an exciting experience for them both but soon they felt it was time to leave that part of their lives behind. Now they were enjoying spending quality time with each other and their family.

Allie had met a man named Lewis in the military. They started dating and eventually got married. Allie and Lewis now had a four year old son named Denny after his grandfather and another baby due in a couple of weeks.

“Maria,” Denny called from outside, “the kids are here.”

“Ok, I’ll be right there,” Maria called back. She quickly put that evening’s dinner in the oven and hurried outside.

Maria had been looking forward to this visit for weeks. Allie and Lewis both worked at the Southern Headquarters so they couldn’t visit as often as Maria would like.

“Grandma,” Denny Jr. said with excitement as he ran to Maria as fast as his little legs would let him.

“Hello Darling. Oh you’re getting heavy,” Maria said as she picked her grandson up, “How about we go inside and Grandma will get you some cookies and milk.”

“YAY!” Denny Jr. cheered.

“Our son is spoiled rotten thanks to you Maria,” Lewis joked as everyone headed into the house.

“Im his grandmother,” Maria told her son in law, “It’s my job to spoil him.”

“Grandpa” Denny Jr. said as he came into the livingroom later that evening, “can you fix something for mommy?”

“Well I can try,” Denny told his grandson, “What does she need fixed?”

“Mommy said her water got broken,” Denny Jr. replied, “ya gotta fix it for her Grandpa.”

“HER WATER BROKE,” Denny, Maria and Lewis all yelled in unison.

The three adults rushed down the hallway to the guestroom. A few minutes later, they returned with Allie. Allie was clutching her swollen abdomen.

“Denny,” Maria said happily as she took a hold of her husband’s arm, “we’re going to be grandparents again.”

I’m 99 for a moment

Dying for just another moment

And I just dreaming

Counting the ways to where you are

Denny had always considered himself a fortunate man. Life had been very good to him. He married the love of his life, watched his little girl grow up into a beautiful and intelligent woman, and had two wonderful grandsons. He had everything he had ever hoped for. Denny couldn’t possibly ask for more.

“Are you alright dear?” Maria asked as she and Denny sat outside on the deck swing.

“Oh, Im just a little tired today that’s all,” Denny replied, “Maybe I’ll go inside and take a short nap.”

“Of course,” Maria said as she patted her husband’s leg, “I’ll be in shortly.”

Denny nodded as he got up and grabbed his cane. Before entering the house, he turned to his wife and winked at her. Maria laughed before returning to her knitting. Even in her old age, Maria was still as crazy about that man as she was the day she realized her love for him all those years ago.

An hour later, the sun began to set. Maria figured it was time to head inside and prepare dinner. When she stepped into the living room, Maria noticed that Denny was nowhere to be seen.

“Denny,” Maria called out. No answer.

Maria walked into their bedroom and saw her husband laying on the bed, eyes closed.She knelt down beside the bed, “Denny,” she said as she shook him gently, “Denny wake up. Denny please. Wake up. Open your eyes.”

Tears began to form in Maria’s eyes. She laid her head on his chest and cried silently. Denny, her beloved husband was gone.

Slowly, Maria raised her head and kissed Denny’s lips softly.

“Goodbye for now my love.”

22 I feel her too

33 you’re on your way

Everyday’s a new day

It had been a year since Denny died. Not a day went by that Maria didn’t think of him.

Not wanting her to be alone, Allie and Lewis asked her to come and live with them. Maria refused at first because she didn’t want to be a burden. Besides, it was hard to leave the house that she and Denny had lived in since their wedding day. But soon being surrounded by so many memories became too much for Maria and she accepted her daughter and son in law’s offer.

Being closer to her family helped Maria feel somewhat better. She loved being able to spend more time with her grandchildren. However, Maria just wasn’t the same woman she had once been.The most happiest times of her life were spent with Denny. A lot of that happiness was gone now.

At night, Maria would look through old photo albums that she and Denny had put together over the years. She would then fall asleep and dream. She dreamed about the day she and Denny met, their wedding day and their life together as husband and wife.

While getting ready to settle in for the night, Maria looked at her and Denny’s wedding portrait hanging on the wall in her room. It seemed like only yesterday when they were two young newlyweds ready to embark on their journey together.

“I love you so much Denny,” Maria whispered, “and I miss you everyday.”

Maria wiped a single tear from her eye as she turned off the lamp. She then laid down on her bed and closed her eyes for the last time.

Time to buy and time to choose

Hey 15, there’s never a wish better than this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you all enjoyed it. Denny and Maria would make such a cute couple but they don’t have a big fandom. I know Maria Ross is a 2nd lieutenant in the anime but I decided to have her be a warrant officer when she and Denny first met.