Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lord Of The Rings
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Pages: 1, 2
LoMXD
anyeone here watch Lord of the ringd? I do everyday, at least one of the three. My fav characters are legolas(duh!) anf Faramir
but as far as pairings I support the most invisible( it doesnt even happen) EoywynxFaramir( it would be cute)
AlphonseRules
I've seen and own all three films but I don't watch them every day. Borimir's death is one of the best scenes of the trilogy in my opinion.
LoMXD
made me cry.
but when faramir has that little ordeal w/ his dad, that made me sad and now denethor is not even human to me.
wow every day..get alife
LoMXD
mad.gif so? I have al;ot of spare time,
who says I dont have a life? tongue.gif
harmony_kh_kairi
QUOTE(Legolas of Mirkwood @ Oct 22 2005, 09:33 PM) [snapback]303254[/snapback]

anyeone here watch Lord of the ringd? I do everyday, at least one of the three. My fav characters are legolas(duh!) and Faramir
but as far as pairings I support the most invisible( it doesnt even happen) EoywynxFaramir( it would be cute)

Really? And I thought I was the only insane person who did that. Plus I read the books at least once a month if not twice. Tolkien is my role model. As for pairings if you've read the books you'd know that Faramir does end up with Eowyn however I'm still fond of the Aragorn X Eowyn pairing even if it doesn't happen. Thing is Aragorn was a human and so was Eowyn so their being together is more logical than having Arwen lose her immortality and people. My favorite character is actually Frodo because he bore so much pain and anguish and he still ended up getting the raw end of the bargin in my opinion. To go through all of that and end up dieing anyway and not being able to enjoy his country that he saved and his people, or even be with his friends for that matter. My second favorite character is Sam because he's so stalwart and he'll do anything for dear Frodo. Their relationship in the books was so much more satisfing than in the movies especially during the really anguish filled parts at the end of each one (their leaving the fellowship in FotR, the supposed death of Frodo after Shelob's lair in TTT, and of course the episodes all throughout Mordor and Mount Doom together in RotK). In fact in the books you sometimes had to wonder is Sam and frodo didn't like each other a little too much, although any well understanding person would know their relationship was extremly close being almost like blood brothers and that they "loved" each other in only that way very, very much.

Do you speak Elvish?

Elen sila lumien omentilvo.
LoMXD
you knopw ironically enough, my friends told me about a part in the extended vesion of the 3rd movie were eowyn and faramir have a romantic moment. and I am reading the 3rd book now and I just read that part so this pairing of mine is not invisible! yay! ( I marked the pages and typed them out and put them in plastic sleeves so I could read them everyday w/ out lugging the book around)
Blitz
The LOTR books have TOO much details but I enjoyed them very much. From what I've heard, J.R.R. Tolkien never meant it to become three seperate books. It was too long so it was divided up.
LoMXD
I took a school lexil test and got 1127, the 3rd book is 1100 an I still dont get it. but I know whats going on. they really are great. they were based on his expirences in the world wars.
~*(Jaded)*~
I've seen the movies(and loved them), but I've never read any of the books. Fantasy books don't interest me all that much(with the exeption of Harry Potter! tongue.gif)
Kakashi's#1 girlfriend
i've seen all 3 movies and read all the books. The books kinda confused me. I enjoyed them while it all lasted. My favorite character is Legolas.
Riza Babe
Omg! Legolas is sooooooo hot +_+!! I mean come on he looks so cute! Well Orlando bloom looks better as Legolas than any of his other films!
DonnaDelDrago
I love LOTR, I have all three extended version DVDs. I have to re-watch them as soon as possible...

QUOTE(Blitz @ Oct 30 2005, 10:12 PM) [snapback]306569[/snapback]

From what I've heard, J.R.R. Tolkien never meant it to become three seperate books. It was too long so it was divided up.

I think they divided the book to make more money! dry.gif

mei_tenshi
Actually, it's to keep prices down. When it was first published, post-war paper shortages would have driven the price of the entire volume way up so that no one could have afforded it.

Not denying the fact that they're making a helluva lot of money now, but it would've been impractical to publish it as a single volume in the 1950s.

*cough* Legolas is also one of my favorite characters, though I liked hiim well enough before I saw the movies. However, I do agree that Orlando Bloom is cooler as an elf.
LoMXD
I want to see the extened version of the thrid movie so badly (the faramir eoywn evidence)
adamclark
i'm so sick of hearing about the lotr movies. it's a shame too, because pop culture stuff like movies only last with the fad and then fade away to become boring and passe. but the lotr books are literary classics and deserve to remain popular.

anyone who enjoyed the movies, but haven't read the books really needs to. they are many times more exciting and enjoyable than the movies (and i think the movies are great). start with the hobbit.
Tombow
Hmmm, I think LOTR movies will stand the test of time. IMO, they are as well made as any "classic" movies.
I have extended version. If you love LOTR movies, I difinitely recommend getting the extended version.
And, yes Legolas is one of my favorite characters, too happy.gif
LoMXD
QUOTE(adamclark @ Nov 6 2005, 03:25 PM) [snapback]310019[/snapback]

i'm so sick of hearing about the lotr movies. it's a shame too, because pop culture stuff like movies only last with the fad and then fade away to become boring and passe. but the lotr books are literary classics and deserve to remain popular.

anyone who enjoyed the movies, but haven't read the books really needs to. they are many times more exciting and enjoyable than the movies (and i think the movies are great). start with the hobbit.

the movies were great but hey couldnt have those w/ out the books. happy.gif

I really want to see the third movie extended. I hope I can work for it by christmas. or my mom will get it for me
Martel
Oooh! The extended versions of all the movies are great! Maybe it was because I was like 8 when I read the books, but I like the movies a bit more.. They're a little easier to understand... But now that I'm 16 I should probably try reading the books again lol
DustStorm
I like the movies better than the books (the books are a little bit difficult to understand.)
mei_tenshi
The movies are good for eye-candy and the like, but the books have so much more...substance. You get more of what Middle Earth is like, and you're allowed to imagine Tokien's world as he painted it with his words. It's complex, sure, and sometimes difficult to follow, but it's this complexity that makes it a true work of art.

So there's my books > movie bit.
Tombow
Nicely said about the movie being the eye candy, and the book having the substance.
I think as a medium, movie inheritantly has that eyecandy element, though some movies might feel more like "feast" than eyecandy, while some others might feel like junk foods. laugh.gif
To me, LOTR movies were nice "feasts," whilst the book is my own "journey" into Prof. Tolkien's world.
And, I love both!! happy.gif
BlueMark
I found the book more entertaining than the movies, however the movies were good
LoMXD
QUOTE(Martel @ Nov 7 2005, 09:20 PM) [snapback]310803[/snapback]

Oooh! The extended versions of all the movies are great! Maybe it was because I was like 8 when I read the books, but I like the movies a bit more.. They're a little easier to understand... But now that I'm 16 I should probably try reading the books again lol

I was in 5th grade when I first tried to read the books, now I am in eith and I get most of it.

QUOTE(DustStorm @ Nov 7 2005, 11:37 PM) [snapback]310860[/snapback]

I like the movies better than the books (the books are a little bit difficult to understand.)

yeah they are arent they? It takes alot of thought to comprehend

QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Nov 8 2005, 12:55 AM) [snapback]310893[/snapback]

The movies are good for eye-candy and the like, but the books have so much more...substance. You get more of what Middle Earth is like, and you're allowed to imagine Tokien's world as he painted it with his words. It's complex, sure, and sometimes difficult to follow, but it's this complexity that makes it a true work of art.
Its like his world was real. I mean he even made calaneders, plotted out the family trees and everything. he made it seem like an actuall part in history

Smoke Alchemist
I have seen them and i think they were all equally well done. I own them so i watch them on occassion.
DustStorm
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Nov 7 2005, 11:40 PM) [snapback]310893[/snapback]

I like Tolkien's books better than the movie because we get to imagine how the middle earth is like. The movies were cool. I own all of them.
Demonhunter399
the movie was better than the book especailly the special graphics, i dont think that anyone can imagine those graphics in their head while they are reading. and the whole story line is so good and somewhat over rated. ive seen alot of movies where the hero has something or someone and they have to get the person/things to a certain place. and just look at alot of movies and youll find some of them to have the same concept some where in the movie.
LoMXD
my mom got me the third extened. I watch the FaramirxEowyn part over and over
cuteness! XD
CRAP ALCHEMIST
I really like LOTOR but I fell asleep the first time I watched Fellowship
Full Metal Elf
Hmm..LOTR..I LOVE these movies and books!...Great stuff, incredible film-making. These will definently stand the test of time and be looked at as great films. happy.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Demonhunter399 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:07 PM) [snapback]334642[/snapback]

the movie was better than the book especailly the special graphics, i dont think that anyone can imagine those graphics in their head while they are reading.
Well, someone had to have imagined it. "Special graphics" don't come out of nowhere--they start off as an idea or vision, inspired by--guess what!--the books.

QUOTE(Demonhunter399 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:07 PM) [snapback]334642[/snapback]

and the whole story line is so good and somewhat over rated. ive seen alot of movies where the hero has something or someone and they have to get the person/things to a certain place. and just look at alot of movies and youll find some of them to have the same concept some where in the movie.
That's how quest stories work. Getting from Point A to Point B doesn't matter so much as how you get there. It's the journey (emotional and mental as well as physical) that people are drawn to, and that's what makes every quest story different from the next. Not only is the quest (or objective) different, but the characters and the experiences that they carry (past, present, and future) are unique to them. So, naturally, how the readers/viewers relate to the journeys would differ as well.
Chiyo
Really, you can only critisize these films if you have read the books. Its like so many other movie adaptations of books. People see the film and question why certain things happen without knowing its because such events occured in the book (case in point the disscussions on Harry Potter and Memoirs of a Geisha).
Slashrose1010
I've tried reading the Followship back in seventh grade, but I couldn't read it. It was rather boring, but maybe I should try again since my reading attention span has expanded.

I've seen the first two movies and should really watch the third one some time to finish it. I loved the first movie. It set up the story well, had a good deal of action and had some emotion to it. I didn't like the second movie and detered me from seeing the third. The second was basically just war and stuff. Also, I like Gandalf the Grey better than the White. He just seemed more human or something... Also, Gollum was annoying. Was he as annoying in the book as he is in the movie? Also, people who immitate Gollum for whatever reason is usually annoying. I don't like Gollum...
Chiyo
No he came across as far more sinister in the book, but you were able to imagine him in your own way.

One point that bothered me. In the second (think it is) film when Gollum is having that arguement with himself as the Hobbits sleep, no-one hears him. However in the book Sam actually hears him so knows he plans to kill them. In the film he's just guessing that Gollum is going to take the ring.

Oh and Slash, if you do read it again, skip the Council of Elrond chapter. It isn't that vital and its terribly slow and dull.
ScarMySoul
I love the movies. I read the books after I saw all three mind you. I'm terrible at doing that. I did that with the Harry Potter books too. Except now I've read them all.

Anyways, I got a LOTR tattoo about two years ago on my wrist. Its the writing thats on the Ring itself.

Here's a picture.

[attachmentid=6154]

cool.gif
sweety_pie
(Cool, tattoo.)

I like the Lord of the Ring movies. I've seen all three.
Kitty Alchemist
Lord of the Ring is a awsome movie! I never read the books but I seen all 3 movies.
LoMXD
the books are a good read. and are beautifully written and more stuff happens in them too.
ScarMySoul
To be honest I like the books better than the movies, but I do think the movies are great.
Nil-chan
Of course the books are better than the movies. That's how it is with everything. There's so much more detail, poetry and the language is beautiful... and plus, there's more included. The movies are pretty awesome, and they stuck mostly to the plot [s] Ah! they screwed up Helm's Deep! And where is the scourging of the shire? And why is the judgement of Saruman only in the extended addition? And most importantly, what about
ScarMySoul
QUOTE(Nil-chan @ Jun 12 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]410994[/snapback]

Of course the books are better than the movies. That's how it is with everything. There's so much more detail, poetry and the language is beautiful... and plus, there's more included. The movies are pretty awesome, and they stuck mostly to the plot [s] Ah! they screwed up Helm's Deep! And where is the scourging of the shire? And why is the judgement of Saruman only in the extended addition? And most importantly, what about

I think they should have left The Voice of Sauron in and included Tom Bombadil....

I liked Tom in the book not to mention the Barrow Downs part where they are attacked, and The Voice of Sauron is one of the most significant parts in the last book.

dry.gif stupid directors. lol
Popogeejo
Tom was left out for legitimet reasons. He didn't really contribute to the plot of the film. The voice of Sauron was in the film if you get the extended version. Looks pretty damn snazzy aswell.
ScarMySoul
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Jun 12 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]411087[/snapback]

Tom was left out for legitimet reasons. He didn't really contribute to the plot of the film. The voice of Sauron was in the film if you get the extended version. Looks pretty damn snazzy aswell.

I know I have the extended version. I meant he should have been left in the theater version of the movie.

I can understand why Tom was left out but I still liked his roll.
Chiyo
I think Tom is a fun story to read but it would have been dull in the film.
Popogeejo
Plus no one wants to see Sam running around naked.
Dr. Tom's country cure-all: Run about in the nude.
Miriamele
Tom Bombadill added nothing to the plot of the book, so Peter Jackson decided (and I agree with him) to leave him out of an already very long movie.

When Tolkien began writing Lord of the Rings, he had been working on the world of Middle Earth for many years--history, geography, demographics, he even created more than one language for its people to speak! And so the book is more or less an excuse for us (and the characters) to explore the fascinating world Tolkien created. Hence the existence of Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest--they're not meant to add anything to the story, only to be one interesting stop on the overall journey.

The movies though had to be more plot-driven and concise, less like a travel documentary. On the whole I did enjoy the movies, and I have all the extended versions. But I agree with those who said the books are way better. Nothing can compare to reading the beauty and poetry of Tolkien's prose. He was a very, very talented writer.

For those of you who are big fans of the book or movies, you should try reading The Silmarillion. It's not a novel, really, but a history book of Middle Earth, and it tells about the creation of Middle Earth and the early days of the Elves. There are some very beautiful, sad stories in there, including some of those that are mentioned in the movies like the story of Baren and Luthien.
Chiyo
...but whatever you do avoid 'Unfinished Tales'. The only problem with The Silmarillion is that it can seem like an extended version of the Council of Elrond chapter and get rather confusing.
joanne45
QUOTE(DonnaDelDrago @ Nov 4 2005, 09:38 AM) [snapback]308994[/snapback]
I love LOTR, I have all three extended version DVDs. I have to re-watch them as soon as possible...

QUOTE(Blitz @ Oct 30 2005, 10:12 PM) [snapback]306569[/snapback]

From what I've heard, J.R.R. Tolkien never meant it to become three seperate books. It was too long so it was divided up.

I think they divided the book to make more money! dry.gif

same as here laugh.gif
Chiyo
And thats the total extent of your input?

And as for dividing it up, its not like with Harry Potter where she will made tonnes of money by building it up. Its just not very practical as one who book, especially if you consider it was designed as a childrens book.
Popogeejo
especially if you consider it was designed as a childrens book.

Wrong. The Hobbit was aimed at Kids. LotR was more of a book for himself than anything. It was divided up because it would have been to expensive to do as one whole book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.