Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are You Religious?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
nakagos bunny
Are you a religious or spiritual person? Meaning do you practice any or believe in any of the world's major faiths, or have one that's in the minority that you follow?

I am religious, I am Catholic.
Chopper Enthusiast
Same here.
Catholic.
Love to do the hand signals and the special prayers. Feel like I gain power when I do either! Hahahahahahahaaa! Super Jesus power!
Jellybean
laugh.gif That was great!

I was raised catholic, but never really got into it. I guess I'd consider myself an athiest now that no one's forcing me to go to church. happy.gif
Carnal Malefactor
Religion can be broken down into two basic parts: philosophy and ritual/superstition.

The philosophical element, I can very much accept, because it's based on reason and logic, and there's room for healthy debate about it.

The ritual and superstition, I reject wholeheartedly.

I'm not an atheist, but I don't subscribe to any religion.
DarkBlade_Alchemist
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 19 2005, 10:46 PM) [snapback]302011[/snapback]

Religion can be broken down into two basic parts: philosophy and ritual/superstition.

The philosophical element, I can very much accept, because it's based on reason and logic, and there's room for healthy debate about it.

i agree with bacon, on The philosophical element, but im only a little religios, very close to athiest, but not there yet..........
RocketJess
I'm very sure of my faith - I'm a Salvationist (Salvation Army). I'm certain of God and His love, and I know I've felt His prescence very strongly. (I tend to cry a lot when I can feel Him especially close! And it's just the most wonderful feeling!)

I've been going to an "Alpha" course recently - it's a sort of introduction to Christianity, though it's really helpful for people who are already Christians too. I know it's helped me to strengthen and understand my own faith a lot better. happy.gif I'd recommend it to everyone.
Bob Allen
well my self i never went to church and i don't believe in anything anyone say about god and all that other shit because every one alive hasn't died or meet jesus like the script says he was here i think that a bunch of crap, if you do tell me what happens after you die,(that is what they talk about the after life anyways right well prove them right and not by words becasue i would still think you stuped)
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Oct 20 2005, 01:31 PM) [snapback]302158[/snapback]

well my self i never went to church and i don't believe in anything anyone say about god and all that other shit because every one alive hasn't died or meet jesus like the script says he was here i think that a bunch of crap, if you do tell me what happens after you die,(that is what they talk about the after life anyways right well prove them right and not by words becasue i would still think you stuped)

You think you're cool, Bobby? rolleyes.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
i would still think you stuped

Nuh uh, yur stuped.

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 19 2005, 07:46 PM) [snapback]302011[/snapback]

i agree with bacon, on The philosophical element, but im only a little religios, very close to athiest, but not there yet..........

You two sound like you're agnostic.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Oct 20 2005, 02:25 PM) [snapback]302174[/snapback]

You two sound like you're agnostic.

Nah, I can say with some degree of certainty that there's more to the universe than what can be seen and measured. It's just not the same as what any of the major religions say it is.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Agnostic is not a religion per se. It's the belief that a higher being is out there but you haven't decided what it is if anything.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Oct 20 2005, 02:44 PM) [snapback]302180[/snapback]

Agnostic is not a religion per se. It's the belief that a higher being is out there but you haven't decided what it is if anything.

I was under the impression that you needed more evidence before you could go along with the idea of a higher power if you were an agnostic...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
As far as I know it's not an actual religion just as being an athiest is not a religion.

Of course, I guess that depends on the person. tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Oct 20 2005, 02:59 PM) [snapback]302184[/snapback]

As far as I know it's not an actual religion just as being an athiest is not a religion.

Of course, I guess that depends on the person. tongue.gif

I never said it was a religion.
Religion carries a certain level of conviction with it, whereas agnosticism is the very opposite - claiming a lack of sufficient knowledge to form a set of convictions.
hitokiri
my religion? well currently i am a believer of what i call the cycle of zen... its simple really. where zen ends, ass kicking begins... and where ass kicking ends, zen begins once more. through this cycle necessary conflict is created, with said conflict balancing out the universe.
animefangirl
nope
Ronaldo Rodregez
Not really, but I was brought up Lutheran.
Guest_silveryCross_*
I'm a Protestant Christian.
Mrs. Edward Elric
Haha, I'm the first Buddhist. Acutally, I really don't like the religion, so I'm more of the 'a little religious' side.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Mrs. Edward Elric @ Oct 20 2005, 07:17 PM) [snapback]302307[/snapback]

Haha, I'm the first Buddhist

Second. Mini is one, too.
nakagos bunny
Even though I am Catholic I don't believe everything the Church says for instance I think it's okay to be gay and also to use artificial birth control.

But most of the other stuff I pretty much like.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Oct 20 2005, 07:48 PM) [snapback]302327[/snapback]

Even though I am Catholic I don't believe everything the Church says for instance I think it's okay to be gay and also to use artificial birth control.

But most of the other stuff I pretty much like.

What do you think of the new pope?
StrawberryShampoo
I'm really not all that religious. I'm suppose to be Nazerene but I haven't gone to church in over 8 years.
I also agree with Bacon on the whole 'religion can be broken down' thing.
nakagos bunny
I don't know really too much about the new Pope, but I'll give him a chance. I mean, I don't really pay attention to the Popes too much.^^;;; Kinda like I don't pay attention to politicians. They're just....there.....XD

I do wish he'd change his stance on gay marriage. It'd be wonderful if one of the branches of Christianity would support it.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I also wish the catholic church would stop going to third world countries and telling people to stop using birth control so that these poor people end up with more mouths they can't feed.

Always one of my biggest peeves with the pope.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy @ Oct 21 2005, 01:52 PM) [snapback]302691[/snapback]

I also wish the catholic church would stop going to third world countries and telling people to stop using birth control so that these poor people end up with more mouths they can't feed.

Always one of my biggest peeves with the pope.

The Catholic Church reminds me of big tobacco in the 1950s... incredibly wealthy old men who don't realize just how much harm they're doing... but with more pedophilia...
nakagos bunny
I don't get what their problem with birth control is. I mean, there is nothing in the Bible that says it's wrong to prevent pregnancy, or that everyone should have a lot of children........ huh.gif

Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Oct 21 2005, 08:44 PM) [snapback]302856[/snapback]

I don't get what their problem with birth control is. I mean, there is nothing in the Bible that says it's wrong to prevent pregnancy, or that everyone should have a lot of children........ huh.gif

Go watch 'Monty Python and the Meaning of Life'. That should explain everything.

EEEEVERY SPEEEERM IS SAAAAACREEEED!
EEEEVERY SPEEEERM IS GREEEEEEAAAAT!
IIIIIIF A SPEEERM IS WAAASTEEEEED,
GOD GETS QUITE IRAAAAAAAAATE!
adamclark
it seems a thread like this always pops up after a while....

i find it hard communitcating spiritual beliefs over the internet.
Chopper Enthusiast
Does the pope have power anymore?
I mean, does he make big decisions for the church?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Chopper Enthusiast @ Oct 22 2005, 03:13 PM) [snapback]303076[/snapback]

Does the pope have power anymore?
I mean, does he make big decisions for the church?

Why wouldn't he?
Chopper Enthusiast
Well, many kings, queens, and emperors of 'monarchs' are simply figureheads nowadays. I was just wondering if the pope was in the same boat.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Chopper Enthusiast @ Oct 22 2005, 06:16 PM) [snapback]303143[/snapback]

Well, many kings, queens, and emperors of 'monarchs' are simply figureheads nowadays. I was just wondering if the pope was in the same boat.

Nope. The Catholic church really hasn't changed much in the last 500 years.
Toby-Chan
It's a hard question to answer. I used to believe I was very religious, but when it comes down to it, I'd say I'm much more spiritual than religious. I come from a predominantly catholic extended family, and was raised at first in the mormon church. Religion was one of the main issues my parents fought over, as my mom converted after she was married and me dad didn't buy it and didn't want us going. My mom hasn't been active in the church for a long time, and I'm not quite sure what changed. For most recent years, though, we've gone to different churches and found what they have to offer.

I personally don't believe in most of the primary ideas of Mormonism, however I love the strong community they have and most of the people I've known were very devout, but not blindly. They're very intelligent people, and one of the primary encouragements for Mormon teenagers is to research your religion and philosophy, to go out and see what other faiths have to offer, and then make a descision.

I generally admire people who are truly devoted to their faith. There are just too many people who claim to be 'good christians' because they go to church on sundays, take communion, say the rehearsed prayers, and pay their tithe, and yet the other six days of the week, they don't live good lifestyles, and sometimes even downright hurt others in the name of their loving religion.

But maybe that's just me. I'd place morality over blindly faithful actions. I think questioning and trying to understand is essential to becoming a better person, and living a good life. I also don't think God is the petty and human-like being that most religions purport Him to be.
Chopper Enthusiast
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 22 2005, 06:30 PM) [snapback]303153[/snapback]

QUOTE(Chopper Enthusiast @ Oct 22 2005, 06:16 PM) [snapback]303143[/snapback]

Nope. The Catholic church really hasn't changed much in the last 500 years.

500 years ago...Was that before or after Martin Luther came along?
~FMAgurl~

Actually, it does. Sex has 2 purposes. One of them is to be open to the chance of new life. Using birth control defeats that purpose....I learned that in Religion class happy.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Oct 22 2005, 07:39 PM) [snapback]303183[/snapback]

Actually, it does. Sex has 2 purposes. One of them is to be open to the chance of new life. Using birth control defeats that purpose....I learned that in Religion class happy.gif

And not using birth control defeats the other. Where's the logic in that?
Fan_Alchemist
I can't say I'm religious. I don't participate in church activies and all that stuff.
Guest_silveryCross_*

I generally admire people who are truly devoted to their faith. There are just too many people who claim to be 'good christians' because they go to church on sundays, take communion, say the rehearsed prayers, and pay their tithe, and yet the other six days of the week, they don't live good lifestyles, and sometimes even downright hurt others in the name of their loving religion.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean, I go to a parochial school and there of all places, there are hypocrites just disgracing our faith. mad.gif
nakagos bunny
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Oct 22 2005, 07:39 PM) [snapback]303183[/snapback]

What did they say was the other reason for sex? *have never been educated in Catholic schools* Me personally, I think sex is an expression of love. I wouldn't want it for any other reason. I do want to have kids someday but with someone I love, or through artificial insemination if I can't find that.

Being open to new life is all good and fine, but what if a person can't afford to take care of that new life? Or just doesn't like children or think they could be a good parent? The Church would say they shouldn't be married then, but that seesm kinda unfair. We aren't all cut from the same cloth. Some people just aren't cut out or even can't afford to be parents.
Femalchemist
I don't consider myself religious but I do believe, more so as I get older. As a child I went to church often but I hardly ever go now. But I pray every day and read some bible verses. I want to go to heaven and Jesus died for me so that makes me want to better with my life and to not be so selfish. I am trying. Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Oct 23 2005, 12:23 PM) [snapback]303510[/snapback]

Being open to new life is all good and fine, but what if a person can't afford to take care of that new life? Or just doesn't like children or think they could be a good parent? The Church would say they shouldn't be married then, but that seesm kinda unfair. We aren't all cut from the same cloth. Some people just aren't cut out or even can't afford to be parents.

Unfortunately the church doesn't seem to see it that way. They almost seem to punish people who make mistakes with sex. You are right, quite a few people have no business having children. Iin our society that clings to the Kodak moment as if it was a religion, it's unthinkable that someone doesn't want or shouldn't *gasp* have children. Nobody wants to look at the big picture because they are afraid of what they will see.

I don't see sex as just for procreation it is an expression of love. Wether you want kids or not, this is not the 15th century we don't need to populate the earth anymore. We're there and then some.
Jellybean
I think the christian opposition to birth control isn't based on the belief that people should all have hoardes of children, so much as the belief that people should forego sex if it isn't for the sake of procreation. Unfortunately, most efforts to make people suppress their sexual urges don't go well, so people go ahead and have sex without birth control, rather than not having sex at all (under the wrong circumstances) like the church would prefer. Not that there aren't people who are perfectly comfortable being celibate (sp?), but there are also plenty who aren't.
Suka
I am religious, but I dont see myself as perfect. I know I make mistakes every day, and I can only hope that those mistakes be forgiven. I dont really go to church regularly, but I really dont believe that going to a service makes someone religious or not. I believe it is what is in the individuals heart that determine that. I respect all points of view in terms of religion, and have expirimented with most of them at one point or another until I decided what is right for me. I have read both the Qu'ran and the Bible, and I belive they are both good books. I hope to someday get a chance to read other manuscripts, if not for religious purposes, than for their historicle value.
Halford
Yeah Im very religious. I have to be or else my mom would disown me.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Halford @ Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM) [snapback]304757[/snapback]

Yeah Im very religious. I have to be or else my mom would disown me.

Way to submit to brainwashing without even putting up a fight.

Isn't free will supposedly a gift from God? Isn't your mother being blasphemous in suppressing yours?
Halford
You could say that if I really didnt believe in God. But since i do it doesnt matter. biggrin.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Halford @ Oct 26 2005, 08:34 PM) [snapback]304768[/snapback]

You could say that if I really didnt believe in God. But since i do it doesnt matter. biggrin.gif

Can you blame me for having the impression that this wasn't the case? You didn't seem particularly enthusiastic about it in your other post.
~*(Jaded)*~
Although I'm not as active in the church community as I once was I do believe in god. Now I was baptized Lutheran but I went to Sunday school at Catholic churches my whole life... so I'm guessing I'm catholic. huh.gif right?
Guest_silveryCross_*
QUOTE(~*(Jaded)*~ @ Oct 26 2005, 05:43 PM) [snapback]304774[/snapback]

Although I'm not as active in the church community as I once was I do believe in god. Now I was baptized Lutheran but I went to Sunday school at Catholic churches my whole life... so I'm guessing I'm catholic. huh.gif right?

Whichever doctrine you believe determines what you are...at least as far as I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.