Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ffvii Last Order
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Kyros
Last Order: Final Fantasy VII (ラストオーダー -ファイナルファンタジーVII- Rasuto Ōdā -Fainaru Fantajī Sebun-?), also abbreviated as Last Order or LO, is a 2005 Japanese anime original video animation (OVA) produced by Madhouse and released by Square Enix. It was directed by Morio Asaka and produced by Masao Maruyama, Jungo Maruta, and Akio Ofuji. Tetsuya Nomura acted as the supervising director. The OVA is an alternate rendition of two flashbacks found within the 1997 PlayStation game Final Fantasy VII.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: After the destruction of Nibelheim at the hands of Sephiroth, Zack and Cloud are on the run from Shinra Inc. As they make their way back to Midgar, they recall the horrible events that happened at Nibelheim, as well as fight for survival against Shinra.

Genres: action, adventure, science fiction
Episodes: 1 OVA
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

-------

This is an anime ova that came with Advent Children in Japan but is not coming to America. I was wondering who else has seen it? I have it, and I think it's really awesome! It is basically 20-25 minutes of telling about Cloud, Zack, Tifa, and Sephiroth's stories intertwining before the game starts. Zack is insanely awesome in this, which is really cool cuz you don't get to see anything special from him during the game.
TheVileOne
Yeah I saw it.

I see no reason that it shouldn't come to the US though. I think we deserve it as fans for patiently waiting so long.

I really enjoyed seeing Final Fantasy adapted in that style.
Slashrose1010
ohmy.gif I want to see! If you would be kind enough to PM me with a torrent link, that would be so much appreciated ;__;
adamclark
that sounds like a cool anime. i'm pretty sure i saw a clip of that at my local comic shop (they seem to be nabbing everything before it is out).

i'm just tired of watching subs, i prefer dubbs.
Kakashi
Saw this. It was a great OVA, and Zack is amazing.
Kyros
QUOTE(adamclark @ Oct 6 2005, 07:42 PM) [snapback]296857[/snapback]

that sounds like a cool anime. i'm pretty sure i saw a clip of that at my local comic shop (they seem to be nabbing everything before it is out).

i'm just tired of watching subs, i prefer dubbs.

You are probably the only person that I've ever heard say they prefered dubs...wow. I don't see why. Dubs can have terrible voice actors and the don't always say everything that was originally put in the anime.
TheVileOne
I also prefer dubs.

What the otaku elitists fail to realize that nowadays, English dubs are a lot better and are not just rush jobs. And some can be even better than the Japanese versions tongue.gif .
Kyros
what? yeah right. What are you watching? I think you are just to lazy to be willing to read the subtitles cuz they are more accurate to what is happening and they are better than the engrish lines. Plus, just cuz voice overs are getting better doesn't make the dubbed animes better than subbed. I have never seen a dub that was better than sub, and I want you to show me one that is.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
It doesn't make you an elitist otaku snob to perfer subs to dubs. I perfer dubs because the voice actors from Japan are usually more skilled than the VAs here in the US. Animation is a much more respected medium than it is here, thus the VAs are much better.

FMA is a good example of this.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Kyros @ Oct 7 2005, 05:56 PM) [snapback]296983[/snapback]

what? yeah right. What are you watching? I think you are just to lazy to be willing to read the subtitles cuz they are more accurate to what is happening and they are better than the engrish lines. Plus, just cuz voice overs are getting better doesn't make the dubbed animes better than subbed. I have never seen a dub that was better than sub, and I want you to show me one that is.

Don't give me that BS. I watched all this stuff subtitled and in Japanese didn't I. I'm just not a dub-hater like all the other otaku. And I can appreciate and see the effort in them.

You want me to show you one anime that has a better dub in English than the Japanese. Two off the top of my head are Cowboy Bebop and Goldenboy. Another is FLCL. Also the English dubs for Hayoa Miyazaki's Porco Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle. Miyazaki himself has expressed his preference toward the English dubs of BOTH those movies. So there, I've just shown you several.

It doesn't make you an elitist otaku snob to perfer subs to dubs. I perfer dubs because the voice actors from Japan are usually more skilled than the VAs here in the US. Animation is a much more respected medium than it is here, thus the VAs are much better.

FMA is a good example of this.

Its not about preference. Its the outright disgust, hatred, rejection, and ignorance they show toward English dubs. Never willing to give them a chance either. I watch them in both languages, so I don't discriminate as much.
mei_tenshi
Considering that this is an age-old debate that will probably see no end without some cracked skulls and crushed Pocky, shall we get back to the topic? smile.gif

I actually saw Last Order after Advent Children, having stumbled across while perusing the hub activity. I enjoyed it as much as I possibly could (without having played the game) and it does put a greater light on Zack's role in Cloud's life. It gave the Zack character more substance, I think, than I could've drawn from AC.
Slashrose1010
^What Mei-san said...

It was more thorough with the story and illustrated exactly what happened the night Sephiroth burned Nibelheim. I thought this was a pretty darn good OVA, with very nice drawings. I actually enjoyed it more than Advent Children.
Quistis88
I also saw this after watching AC. I could've watched it before AC, but I was too lazy then. tongue.gif

It's nice that they kept all the same VAs for both AC and this OVA. The artwork and animation is quite decent. Will there be any more episodes of the OVA? I found the one episode, especially the end, a tiny bit unsatisfying.
mongooseboi
last order is what i already saw in the game..and it ends on an important part :]
Quistis88
Ahh, that was in the game? *hasn't played the game all the way through* Care to elaborate on that section, boi? biggrin.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 7 2005, 01:35 PM) [snapback]296979[/snapback]

I also prefer dubs.

What the otaku elitists fail to realize that nowadays, English dubs are a lot better and are not just rush jobs. And some can be even better than the Japanese versions tongue.gif .

Good dubs are still the exception, not the rule.

Better than the Japanese versions? What the f*** are you smoking, and can I have some!?
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 7 2005, 11:53 PM) [snapback]297196[/snapback]

Ahh, that was in the game? *hasn't played the game all the way through* Care to elaborate on that section, boi? biggrin.gif

Some of what they showed in the OVA was in the game. Goosey is talking about when Zack is killed I suppose, protecting Croudo from the Shin-Ra guys D: That isn't that important to see again since... well, it is in the game O.o
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Oct 8 2005, 12:14 AM) [snapback]297209[/snapback]

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 7 2005, 11:53 PM) [snapback]297196[/snapback]

Some of what they showed in the OVA was in the game. Goosey is talking about when Zack is killed I suppose, protecting Croudo from the Shin-Ra guys D: That isn't that important to see again since... well, it is in the game O.o

'Croudo'? You gotta stop with this faux-Romaji crap.
Slashrose1010
XP Aww, but I like messing around with languages. I make up spanish if I don't know the real words until my teacher corrects me.

Why do they add an S sound on 'Zack'?
TheVileOne
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 8 2005, 04:09 AM) [snapback]297206[/snapback]

I also prefer dubs.

Better than the Japanese versions? What the f*** are you smoking, and can I have some!?

Do you feel you actually watch enough English dubs to make such a judgement?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 01:19 AM) [snapback]297256[/snapback]

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 8 2005, 04:09 AM) [snapback]297206[/snapback]

I also prefer dubs.

Do you feel you actually watch enough English dubs to make such a judgement?

Yes.
TheVileOne
Well how often do you watch dubs then?

When you purchase anime DVD's do you watch the english dubs as well?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 02:04 AM) [snapback]297262[/snapback]

Why bother giving me the third degree when you know in your heart that what I'm saying is true? The people who make the dubs aren't as in tune with the creative process as the original voice cast. There is quite a bit that's lost in the translation from Japanese to English in virtually every dub because those who write the English script tend to take liberties with the dialogue and insert bad jokes and misplaced idioms to westernize the shows, as well as for timing purposes. Many of the actors aren't professional V.A.s, but rather do voice-overs as a second job. Naturally, the proof is always in the pudding, but the chips are stacked so heavily against the English dubs that it takes a very talented and dedicated ADR crew to make a really good one [i.e. Wolf's Rain].
Kyros
hehe hey slash you're welcome smile.gif I like zack in this ova. he wasn't just the guy with the buster sword that cloud knew from somewhere. he was INSANELY AWESOME!
mongooseboi
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 7 2005, 08:53 PM) [snapback]297196[/snapback]

yea when you're in cloud's hometown, he has like a billion flashbacks on that day that sephy pwns him, but those memories are incorrect. when he falls into the lifestream and tifa shows her love, she gets into his head somehow, and you learn that cloud wasn't a SOLDIER, but actually that side guy who admired zack. but in the end, he really did come to save tifa (tifaXcloud please). and the zack scenes you see when you go back to cloud's hometown later in the game and go to the basement labratory and you see zack in the truck and all, and then zack getting shot, but falling on top of cloud so cloud survives.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 8 2005, 06:20 AM) [snapback]297270[/snapback]

Why bother giving me the third degree when you know in your heart that what I'm saying is true? The people who make the dubs aren't as in tune with the creative process as the original voice cast. There is quite a bit that's lost in the translation from Japanese to English in virtually every dub because those who write the English script tend to take liberties with the dialogue and insert bad jokes and misplaced idioms to westernize the shows, as well as for timing purposes. Many of the actors aren't professional V.A.s, but rather do voice-overs as a second job. Naturally, the proof is always in the pudding, but the chips are stacked so heavily against the English dubs that it takes a very talented and dedicated ADR crew to make a really good one [i.e. Wolf's Rain].

A good deal are in fact professional VA's. Some union, some non-union. Many of them have heavy theatrical training and vocal backgrounds. Voice training is imperative and is one of an actors' greatest assets. These VA's aren't just people they got off the street. They ARE professionals.

Maybe things are lost in the dub, but seeing as to they were never animated with the intention of watching them with subtitles, I think its a fair trade. I like to watch the English dubs to see what changes or adaptation choices they make in the translation to see the difference.

A big problem I have is that when a lot of people complain about the dubs, they form their opinions from unofficial fan-subs. Which I feel is wrong, especially considering Japanese is more likely than not a language they don't even know.

Getting back to the topic, anyone think they should make an anime version of the FFVII game like they did here with The Last Order?
Blitz
Hmmm, I'm downloading this as we speak. It's going really slow...I saw Advent Children first.
Quistis88
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 03:13 AM) [snapback]297314[/snapback]
Getting back to the topic, anyone think they should make an anime version of the FFVII game like they did here with The Last Order?

Square Enix confirmed about a year ago that after all this stuff (FFVII OVA, FFVII DoC, FFVII AC), they would not make any more sequels/remakes for FFVII. I hope they do not make an anime version of the game, because that would signify Square Enix going back on their word, and I do not want to lose any respect for one of my favorite gaming companies. Besides, they've milked this game enough, and if they do any more of it, it'll just make it look like they're desperate for profit.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I just saw it, I liked it. It was nice to see Zack in action, he was always in the background. It looked like they made subtle changes but nothing drastic. It was good I liked it.

Like Quistis said, after this onslaught of FF7 stuff I hope they stop milking the cash cow that is FF7. I would rather see them stop before the cash cow runs completely dry.
TheVileOne
I heard how Sephiroth was dispatched in this version was different then the game.
Kyros
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 8 2005, 02:51 PM) [snapback]297424[/snapback]

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 03:13 AM) [snapback]297314[/snapback]

Square Enix confirmed about a year ago that after all this stuff (FFVII OVA, FFVII DoC, FFVII AC), they would not make any more sequels/remakes for FFVII. I hope they do not make an anime version of the game, because that would signify Square Enix going back on their word, and I do not want to lose any respect for one of my favorite gaming companies. Besides, they've milked this game enough, and if they do any more of it, it'll just make it look like they're desperate for profit.

Does that mean no remake of the game for ps3? AWESOME! *dances* It's getting really annoying having a lot of people going around saying, "oh d00d, I saw some promo for it. they are remaking it for ps3" BULLSHIT W00T! Screw remaking this game cuz it's not the best in the series and it would only ruin whatever it has in fandom I think. It can't compare to FFVI or FFVIII so whatever. It's only a decent rpg nothing else *continues dancing for 974396597324 hours*
The Black Blood Alchemist
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 8 2005, 02:20 AM) [snapback]297270[/snapback]

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 8 2005, 02:04 AM) [snapback]297262[/snapback]

OMG, y'all, everyone has their own opinions on subs/dubs, so just be happy and leave it at that. I watch dubs only unless I have no other choice but to read subtitles while the show's shown in Japanese. You have to read it so fast and then because you're concentrating on the subtitles, you barely see the anime. -__- + A lot of Japanese character's voices are annoying, but so are some American ones (remember Weevil Underwood of "Yu-Gi-Oh!"? *eye twitch*), so either way this debate always ends in a tie. But it's getting pretty annoying how people keep ranting on and on all over the Internet and every corner in the freaking universe about how much they hate dubs (Hey, be HAPPY that we have dubs because we can see more anime over here that way and we don't have to pay extra on international shipping to get it here if you DO wanna see it in Japanese. Be glad that all you have to do is go to your local Best Buy, get the DVD for less, and have the choice of watching it in English or Japanese, whichever your preference), it really is starting to get on my nerves because they whine all the time about the VAs not translating what the Japanese VAs are really saying correctly (dude, the storyline pretty much remains the same just because they don't use "and" in one sentence, doesn't it? -_^ And plus you gotta think they're trying to match the lip movements as best as they can), and emphasis on certain words in the voice. Some VAs are better than others because they have more experience, so give them time. Whatever floats your boat, but I'll always be a dub fan girl. Now let's drop this subject or start yet another one of the million useless and unsolved opinionated topics on it elsewhere because it never gets anyone anywhere, k? Thanks.

Anyway, back to the topic... I wish they would bring LO over here, I see no reason why not as mentioned earlier. I wouldn't mind the extra stuff in those fancy fan packs, but all I really care about is the AC movie itself and LO and I'm not willing to dish out $200 some dollars on something just to get a disk with a 25 minute movie on it when I could be buying my horses their hay and helping with bills and my college. Now if LO was sold by itself for $15 or less, then I'd get it, but I'm trying to resort to seeing it for free (I'm waiting for AC to come out in the US before I see that). How did you guys get ahold of LO? Is there a place I can download it for free? Would it be on LimeWire yet? I tried looking for it once and didn't find much... But I really wanna see everyone animated in anime style, mainly. Anyone have any ideas on how to see it?
gseed
I got it along time ago but i can't find a .sub file. There all .srt
Can someone help me?
adamclark
i just saw the last order and was very impressed.

the quality (including the voice acting) reminded me of subbed fma episodes. it is a great anime, i hope they dubb it and put it in the American AC DVD.
TheVileOne
After everything, I feel we earned and deserve to get The Last Order on DVD when Advent Children comes out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.