Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saddest/most depressing Anime You've Ever Watched
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
(AL ke mi)
what was the most saddest anime you've ever watch?
the saddest i've ever watch was ah my goddess!(but i don't really remember much...)

make sure you don't change the subject, guys....................
animefangirl
furuba ,becuase of the sohma famly curse
Toby-Chan
Eh? Ah My Goddess is one of the cheeriest series I've ever come across. And I'm an uber shoujo fanatic.

Furuba is emotional but not nearly depressing.

I might say FMA, simply for the amount of times it has succeeded in making me cry, but it has it's very happy moments to balance it.

Boogiepop Phantom and Texhnolyze were both creepy and dreary to the extreme. They were 'thinker' titles, but... too much.

And Noir has pretty much nothing in the amount of happy moments, but it's still pretty neutral. Early on it made me very happy, just watching the cool action. Although as of late, it's almost depressed me with frustration at the slowing pace. I want to do a Monty Python-esque "Ge' on with it!!!"

From what I've seen of Saikano is promisingly depressing, however the bad translation distracted me from being emotional.

Grave of the Fireflies. Nuff said.
A Song of Storm and Fire
I'd have to say that parts of FMA were very sad...and I cried. In one part of Naruto too...which was scarey and lets see...Elfen Lied I think hits the top it was sad and depressing most of the times even if it didn't make me cry as much as FMA did mainly because FMA is so realistic.
So either FMA or Elfen Lied. I'll never forget the time I got so sad I was sick when Nina died.
Carnal Malefactor
FMA is realistic? blink.gif

I have to make a distinction between 'sad' and 'depressing' because one is more of a visceral emotion, while the latter is a state of mind that comes from thinking about how much the world around you sucks.

So the saddest anime is almost certainly Elfen Lied, because it makes you want to cry for the characters in it and the tragedies that happen to them. I haven't watched all of Gunslinger Girl yet, but that might actually come close.
The most depressing is Evangelion, far and away, because of the self-loathing that I felt after watching it. It just demoralizes you as a human being, even though there are only a couple of really likable characters in it.
Fan_Alchemist
Honestly, I'd have to pick Chrno Crusade then FullMetal Alchemist.
Kyros
I'm going with Rurouni Kenshin, especially the ovas. They were ubersad. I don't think fma has anything to top that from everything that I've seen/heard. I really wanna see Grave of the Fireflies, which is probably one of the most depressing animes ever...seriously. It's about a kid and his dad/older brother (don't know which one cuz haven't seen it) who are trying to survive during WWII, and the kid has leukemia or something that's making his skin break out and getting him really sick. It's crazy how depressing this anime sounds, but is still really good just like Kenshin.
Prinz_Zoisit
i know that there were times of depression when i saw some animes.. but i can't remember anymore...
azn_romeo_4u
Graves of the firefly and Samarai X...those were deep and sad...

Funny how kenshin died...the greatest samarai of all time (fictional) and he dieds of leprosy or something like that...I feel bad, his wife was going to die as well..she caught that disease while making love to him...so sad...but she loved him.
gseed
I guess Samarai X, also some parts of Gundam Seed Destiny.
Jen_Elric
I don't know about depressing, but there are some very sad animes I saw!
Fruits Basket and FMA are sad abd had made me cry numerous times, but Wolf's Rain is close to depressing for me.
i'd have to say fma is the saddest cause look at all the hardships they had to go through as children and are still facing hardships like AL thinking he is not real that ed just made him up and their mom dying and shou tucker turning his daughter into a chimera i'm sure to ed and al she was like a little sister
wolf queen
oh and it was the only anime to make me cry the post on top of this one is mine i forgot to put my name
Kyros
azn romeo...

First off, don't spout out spoilers, and next this is how it was:

[spoiler]
you thought it was leprosy? It was aids, which is why kaoru got it from having sex with him. She wanted to do that for her own way to show that she wanted to go through everything with him. Kenshin died of a combination of this and the face that the hiten mitsirugi style put too much strain on his small body. Over the years, that style of swordsmanship put too much pressure on his small figure, which is why he can barely move/react anymore... [/spoiler]
Joe J
Now and Then, Here and There

Without a doubt, the most emotionally powerful anime I've ever seen. Attempting to save a mysterious girl, a modern boy is transported to a bleak future in which a crazy tyrant is bent on ruling what's left of the deserted earth. It deals with child soldiers, rape, murder, famine, and other difficult topics in a mature way. Ultimately, it raises questions about the meaning and worth of life.

Simply put, it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.

Peace,
Joe J.
Hitsugaya Toushirou
Saddest Anime I've seen was Air.
VeRi
well for me it would be a three way tie with Grave of the Fireflies, Voices of a Distant Star, and Haibane Renmei because all three of these animes has a good story that will make you tear when watching them...
CHOO
Cowboy Bebop; Last episode.

It was depressing to see spike die. sad.gif
TheVileOne
It was depressing, but it was also beautiful. The series really could not have ended any other way.
Kihaku
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 23 2005, 06:23 PM) [snapback]291275[/snapback]

Furuba is emotional but not nearly depressing.

I might say FMA, simply for the amount of times it has succeeded in making me cry, but it has it's very happy moments to balance it.

I agree.... neither of those series seem to be actually sad series. They both have their happy and sad moments...
It's the same with many series.. While there are quite a few that make me shed tears, and even depressed, they often have happy endings or happier events, so it's really hard to say...
What first comes into mind is X.... I wouldn't call it a happy series in any way actually.. Amongs all the pain, angst and sadness one can detect some hints of "happiness", but all in all it's quite a depressing and sad series with actually more sadness than happiness...
Riza Babe
Elfen Lied ; ; Some parts were really sad.
StrawberryShampoo
The last few episodes of Wolf's Rain were really sad, and so was a few of the episodes of Trigun. (Wolf's Rain is the only show EVER to make me cry, Trigun came pretty close though.)

X/1999 was also pretty sad.
Guest_CHOO_*
s-CRY-ed: Kimishimas death.

The comedy relief
and Kazumas Friend

we will miss you sad.gif
shogunskey
FMA is seeming pretty sad at the point im at in it, and inuyasha always has someone you like dying
Dingbat
Let's see... in no particular order:

This is possibly the MOST depressing anime. Strange, surreal, downright twisted but undisputably moving. The future world is just... crazy. I was actually seething inside when I found out what happened to Sara in that jail. Truly truly depressing.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Deep, dark, twisted and of course, depressing. Even the happier moments cannot salvage the depressing mood.

Grave of the Fireflies
I literally cried. It's so painstakingly poignant and tear-jerking. Hands down the only anime that genuinely made me shed tears.

Serial Experiment LAIN
Yet another deep dark, depressing anime about identity, the 'real' world and our existence.

Wolf's Rain
Starts off beautifully, but the ending is a real tear-jerker. Even with the extra episode (episode 27) in the DVD set it did nothing to stop me from crying.

That's about it, I think. The others are just okay-ish (even the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs) in terms of depression and sadness.
edsgirl
That's a pretty good list Dingbat. Grave of the fireflies is the only anime that ever made me choke up. It was truely sad.

Depressing anime: FMA, X, NGE, SEL, Elfen Lied.
Chiyo
QUOTE(Joe J @ Sep 26 2005, 02:50 AM) [snapback]292774[/snapback]

Without a doubt, the most emotionally powerful anime I've ever seen. Attempting to save a mysterious girl, a modern boy is transported to a bleak future in which a crazy tyrant is bent on ruling what's left of the deserted earth. It deals with child soldiers, rape, murder, famine, and other difficult topics in a mature way. Ultimately, it raises questions about the meaning and worth of life.

Simply put, it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.

Peace,
Joe J.

I agree, this is my most depressing anime. It was posted to me by accident and I will never know how but I've kept it and watched it. Its only a very short series but like mentioned above so many horrid things happen in that time. The violence that goes on, and the simply horrific 'king' disturbed me and yet I love it all the same. [spoiler]Poor old Sara trying to abort her own baby because she got pregnant through rape was awful to watch, but then I suppose rape was in FMA too.[/spoiler] Still other anime has comic relief, Now and Then I feel has very little apart from the ever optimistic lead character.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(CHOO @ Oct 18 2005, 09:25 PM) [snapback]301452[/snapback]

Cowboy Bebop; Last episode.

It was depressing to see spike die. sad.gif

i did'nt know Spike died!!! awwww will you PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS??!!!!

QUOTE(Guest_CHOO_* @ Oct 22 2005, 08:07 PM) [snapback]303228[/snapback]

i did'nt know he died either!! dry.gif *sigh*

anywayz besides FMA i thought Trigun was sad and Ruroni Kenshin was kinda sad InuYasha too but Fullmetal win out of them all of course laugh.gif
AlphonseRules
Grave of the Fireflies. Rent it.
Martel
Wolf's Rain is really sad that and fricken Gungrave!
CHOO THE DESTROYER
QUOTE(Guest_CHOO_* @ Oct 22 2005, 07:07 PM) [snapback]303228[/snapback]

The comedy relief
and Kazumas Friend

we will miss you sad.gif

and now Zigmar, Sherice and COUGAR?!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
yaminogame
I think the saddest anime I have watched is Fruits Basket and Chrono Crusade. Chrono Crusade made me cry at the end. I have also cried in Fushigi Yugi, twice.
Sesshy_Kurama_Bakura
I don't know why, but personally the saddest I've ever seen is Wolf's Rain. It just seems sad during the whole anime.
Smoke Alchemist
I know this is a bit off topic! BUT Spoiler tags are a good thing PEOPLE!!!! mad.gif
Kyros
Yeah I knows. I'm not sure many people here are aware that some people haven't seen every episode of some of this stuff *sigh*

Scryed spoiler
[spoiler]WTF?!?!?!?! WHY'D THEY KILL SHERRICE?!?!?! *rants* SHE'S MY FAVORITEST EVAR IN THAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler]
Demonhunter399
i dont know what kind of anime you watch but i try to stay away from the sad ones.
CRAP ALCHEMIST
Chrono Crusade
Hikaru Sagasaki
biggrin.gif Id Definately Say .hack//sign. A boy is trapped in a game, and he cannot escape. he does not know if
even exists in the real world. He gets so depressed that his body gets taken over by some evil people,
and they control him with his negative atitude. He has true love, yes. But he is never brave
enough to tell. He isnt really brave at all. But the last episode he saves the world with his
bravery but dies with his true love. Its REALLY sad! sad.gif

DO NOT POST PICTURES THAT ARE IRRELEVANT TO YOUR POST!
Kyros
wtf are you talking about? Sukasa was a girl in real life >.<

ending to .hack//sign spoiler
[spoiler]Her and Subaru meet in real life after Sukasa logs out finally by recovering from her coma. They don't say anything, and they don't die...[/spoiler]
Otoki Tomoe
FMA had me choked up in a few spots (my brother and I had to break out the box of tissues for, y'know, that episode).

Hands down, though, Grave of the Fireflies is the biggest anime tear-jerker I have ever seen.
Sleeping Forest
the most depressing anime?
fma!!
i was out of it for about a week after i finished the series...
and then another month after i watched the movie...
fruits basket was sad, too i guess...
instantmirage
anyone has seen G Dangaioh ?
DJ_Zephyr
If any of them touched me the most, it was Voices of a Distant Star. Not exactly depressing, but it was a helluva good movie.
instantmirage
QUOTE(Martel @ Nov 22 2005, 12:10 PM) [snapback]318165[/snapback]

Wolf's Rain is really sad

i dont understand the ending of this anime,
really. its very bias. wink.gif
TheLaughingMan9
Eithere FMA, Cowboy Bebop (SPike's death), or Trigun(Wolfwood's death)
animefreak_zzz
Chrno Crusade... sad.gif
I loved that anime so much..
It was my first and most saddening anime.. wink.gif
fma_fan_forever
I would haveta say Fullmetal Alchemist since it made me cry on numerous ocasions, but so did Chrno Crusade. I cant decide wich is more depressing.
Slashrose1010
Elfen Lied... Well, that is the most depressing, but the two animes which made me cry the most are probably Chobits and GetBackers.
Fayth Prophecy
Wolf's Rain. Especially the last few episodes.
Gamester3333
QUOTE(slahrose1010)
the two animes which made me cry the most are probably Chobits and GetBackers

OMG, me too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.