Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 27 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
TheVileOne
This is it folks, season 2 starts TONIGHT!

This will be the first of 25 episodes until the end of FMA.

Tonight, it looks like Ed and Al are going to get reacquainted with their old sensei.
~*(Jaded)*~
Yay! biggrin.gif I'm very excited^^
Aleclom
Woooo, just finished watching it! Me likey Izumi. I laughed many a time when she smacked Ed and Al around. Funny funny. Overall a very nice episode, and now I can't wait until next week.
~*(Jaded)*~
Even though I like it in Japanese, it's nice to see it in a langauge I can understand.
Ed-o Elrich
The dub is usually pretty good, but Izumi's voice is HORRIBLE! It doesn't fit the character at all and is just flat out BAD!

The japanese version is so much better...ah.
TheVileOne
Sorry, but I think Christine Auten is a great Izumi. She gives her voice a stern feminism and strength.
Ed-o Elrich
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Sep 18 2005, 01:13 AM) [snapback]287631[/snapback]

Sorry, but I think Christine Auten is a great Izumi. She gives her voice a stern feminism and strength.

Sorry, I just can't agree. She just sounded all wrong...just bad.

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess... wink.gif
Luckyalchemy27
I find Izumi's voice very, like...smooth, and flowing, and soothing. I don't know why, but I like it. However, I wasn't too fond of the voices of all the little kids in this episode. They didn't sound right to me. Too mature, I suppose.
AlphonseRules
I didn't like the beginning of the episode, possibly because I wasn't really ready for FMA yet. Good episode overall though. I tend to like the episodes about characters' pasts. At one point during the flashback I thought that it was kinda weird to see Al's mouth move while he talked. laugh.gif The ending was good too. I like how Ed stood up to continue taking his beating and then Izumi hugged them. Looks like next weeks episode will contain some more flashbacks about the boys and Izumi.
i laughed really hard at "kid" Edward's voice.. especially when he goes, "Training, training!" i doubt i'm supposed to laugh, but Vic Mignogna's attempt at sounding like a kid cracks me up. I mean no insults to him though.. but yeah it's funny to me.
«°~Envy™~°»
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA@Ed and Al get there buts handed to them by there teacher biggrin.gif
TheVileOne
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Sep 18 2005, 07:26 AM) [snapback]287710[/snapback]

I didn't like the beginning of the episode, possibly because I wasn't really ready for FMA yet. Good episode overall though. I tend to like the episodes about characters' pasts. At one point during the flashback I thought that it was kinda weird to see Al's mouth move while he talked. laugh.gif The ending was good too. I like how Ed stood up to continue taking his beating and then Izumi hugged them. Looks like next weeks episode will contain some more flashbacks about the boys and Izumi.

I love that scene. It kind of showed, "Yeah you are being punished, you did something wrong against everything I ever taught you. But you learned your lesson and I still love you." She gave Ed and Al that motherly affection they've lacked and long for, for years. Similar to how Ross embraced Ed in the 5th laboratory.

AGH! I just love the goodness so much biggrin.gif !
Ed-o Elrich
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Sep 18 2005, 05:32 AM) [snapback]287752[/snapback]

QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Sep 18 2005, 07:26 AM) [snapback]287710[/snapback]

I love that scene. It kind of showed, "Yeah you are being punished, you did something wrong against everything I ever taught you. But you learned your lesson and I still love you." She gave Ed and Al that motherly affection they've lacked and long for, for years. Similar to how Ross embraced Ed in the 5th laboratory.

AGH! I just love the goodness so much biggrin.gif !

It also really connects to later on in this arc that is going on....VileOne, you probably get what I'm saying. Very emotional when you consider everything that has happened relating to the master and the apprentices..
Pamster
Oh I hate it that I slept...Bad Pamster! Tell me was there a new openiing? Was it Rewrite or still Ready Steady Go? I love Teacher, great eppie but I like the dub voices, all of them fit well for me. Especially Vic's Ed and Aaron's Al. smile.gif
Well, I am finally used to the dub voices, so I did enjoy last night's episode... (I actually really like Izumi's voice)

HOWEVER, while Vic does a good job of Ed most of the time, he just cannot pull off the little kid voice. O___O;; Yeah, it was kind of painful...
SilverHawk
QUOTE(Pamster @ Sep 18 2005, 11:35 AM) [snapback]287804[/snapback]

Oh I hate it that I slept...Bad Pamster! Tell me was there a new openiing? Was it Rewrite or still Ready Steady Go? I love Teacher, great eppie but I like the dub voices, all of them fit well for me. Especially Vic's Ed and Aaron's Al. smile.gif

It was Ready Steady Go. I was kind of upset, because I wanted to see Rewrite. sad.gif

On the whole though, the episode was really good. Izumi is just so cool!
Luckyalchemy27
i laughed really hard at "kid" Edward's voice.. especially when he goes, "Training, training!" i doubt i'm supposed to laugh, but Vic Mignogna's attempt at sounding like a kid cracks me up. I mean no insults to him though.. but yeah it's funny to me.

I think that as well. It's so cute, and so funny. biggrin.gif
Kirara
There is still a chance that they will play Rewrite if the rumors are correct. It isn't the opening until episode 42. The opening we are missing on TV is UNDO.

Anyways I really like this episode. The scene where Izumi hugs Ed and Al at the end is one of my favorite endings for the show.

I liked all the voices (even Ed's kid voice has improved somewhat) except the kid asking about his train. But since that role is so minor it wasn't a really big deal.

Edit: I meant to say Opening, not Ending
Ed-o Elrich
QUOTE(Kirara @ Sep 18 2005, 01:34 PM) [snapback]287954[/snapback]

There is still a chance that they will play Rewrite if the rumors are correct. It isn't the ending until episode 42. The ending we are missing on TV is UNDO.

Anyways I really like this episode. The scene where Izumi hugs Ed and Al at the end is one of myfaviorite endings for the show.

I liked all the voices (even Ed's kid voice has improved somewhat) except the kiid asking about his train. But since that role is so minor it wasn't a really big deal.

Actually they played the correct ending for this episode....I am so sick of "ready steady go", and the opening for this one is one of my favorite opening sequences for the show....ahhh.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Ed-o Elrich @ Sep 18 2005, 10:42 AM) [snapback]287755[/snapback]

It also really connects to later on in this arc that is going on....VileOne, you probably get what I'm saying. Very emotional when you consider everything that has happened relating to the master and the apprentices..

Exactly. Its not just Ed and Al looking for motherly affection. There's a specific reason why Izumi wants to give it as well. Which we will find out very soon.
Fullmetal Fugazi
great ep!!! Ed and Als teacher is a real hard core chick tongue.gif
adamclark
I'm glad to see new episodes finally return! Now all we can do is watch through the next year for the finale.

Great episode, I was glad they introduced the boys' teacher, seeing as how she was such an important figure in their life, but had never showed her.
chocolate_eds_everywhere
i loved this ep!!!!! ed should wear chaki(or however u spell it) pants more often and he should cut his hair again.
i loved the part though when ed and al were going 2 have stew at winrey's house and ed says how good the stew
tastes with the milk in it. laugh.gif that so not our ed. it was an over all good ep except for when izumi starts beating
on ed and al and then she hugs them that was really messed up.
The Thunder Alchemist
I found it interesting, that even though Izumi could thrash him in hand-to-hand, Ed seems to have her beat in alchemy.

I'm basing this on is the scene at the riverbank; transmuting the barricade used up all her energy and she fainted on the spot!

Ed has done much larger transmutations without breaking a sweat (moving the gaint sungod statue, the wall to keep the red water from reaching the town, etc.)

Was the time at the riverbank just a moment of weakness for Izumi, or is Ed the superiorer alchemist?
adamclark
Izumi is a far more powerful alchemist than ed. at least she was in the beginning.

She fainted because of an internal injury. i can't say more, because that would spoil it.

either way, izumi carries more experience and wisdom than ed and al. that is why she is the teacher. she is a strick and stern teacher, i mean, she beats them and all.

but as you see, izumi and ed share many experiences which, in the end, makes them about equal.
TheVileOne
Adamclark, what happened to your Adult Swim boycott?
Femalchemist
I was ready for FMA and loved all the flashbacks. It was kinda weird to see Al though-talking and moving around like a real boy.
Another thing is how Ed took full responsibility for what he did, no excuses and took everything Izumi dished out. Her hugging them was really touching because they both needed it. They rarely get treated like boys or sons and she can do that for them.
Jen_Elric
Such a great episode!! Izumi...just love her! I can't believe she threw Al over her shoulder like he weighed nothing! I mean, wouldn't a suit of armor be heavy? Hmm...maybe not.
I thought the cat dying part was really sad; I kept thinking, "Poor kitty!" XD. But the ending was real sad too. I understand why Izumi would beat the crap out of Ed and Al. They basically went against her, and she was angry but sad that they went through all that.
I have a question.
When she hugs them at the end, I heard crying. I thought it was Izumi, but it didn't look like she was crying. But it also sounded like Al crying.
Who was crying (softly) at the end?
AlphonseRules
^Well he can't actually shed tears, but that was Al.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Sep 19 2005, 03:24 PM) [snapback]288597[/snapback]

Such a great episode!! Izumi...just love her! I can't believe she threw Al over her shoulder like he weighed nothing! I mean, wouldn't a suit of armor be heavy? Hmm...maybe not.

Considering that Al is an empty suit of armor that probably weights at or less than 100 lbs and that Izumi is freakishly stong and efficient in martial arts...its not that unbelievable.
Fullmetal Fugazi
Great episode, I was glad they introduced the boys' teacher, seeing as how she was such an important figure in their life, but had never showed her.
[/quote]
actually it was in ep 2 (I think), Ed and Al where talking to Rose about their past and you could see her silohette (you could tell by her braids) in the flashbacks. Not a true showing of her but you could get an idea it was a girl atleast
Kills4fun
Beside for the first episode, that has to be the greatest. Its shows and answers tons of questions. Like the Cross and Snake symbol that Ed and Al have. Also shows that there teacher is tough, but also has a soft side. In my opinion, it was a great episode to start off the new season. smile.gif
SilverHawk
QUOTE(Kills4fun @ Sep 19 2005, 06:13 PM) [snapback]288759[/snapback]

Its shows and answers tons of questions. Like the Cross and Snake symbol that Ed and Al have.

Did I completely miss that? I guess I'll have to rewatch it.
TheVileOne
[quote name='Fullmetal Fugazi' date='Sep 19 2005, 07:29 PM' post='288704']
[/quote]
actually it was in ep 2 (I think), Ed and Al where talking to Rose about their past and you could see her silohette (you could tell by her braids) in the flashbacks. Not a true showing of her but you could get an idea it was a girl atleast
[/quote]

We also saw a cameo of Izumi and her husband's back at the train station when Winry arrived in Central.
CursedAnubis
Wow, it's been a while huh, guys? I loved this episode because you get to learn more about Ed and Al's past =). As usual I, have taken some screenshots of this episode that I found interesting.
As for the snake & cross thing, if you look closely at Izumi's upper left chest, you will see the same snake and cross that Al and Ed have. Maybe it's Izumi's symbol? Dunno. I included a pic of Izumi closer up so you can look at her chest. ... Not that way sicko wink.gif
Anyway, is it just me or does anybody else think that Izumi is overly violent? Kicking of the face, slapping, punching, throwing... It's a wonder Ed didn't end up with a broken neck or spine or something XD But, I guess Izumi is kind of like Ed and Al's mother figure now and she believes in tough love happy.gif.
TheVileOne
Izumi is not overly violent CursedAnubis. She was just giving them some much needed discipline. You need to understand, by doing what they did, they BETRAYED Izumi. So Izumi had to learn 'em something fierce.
Tombow
I see Ed and Al learned their fighting skills, as well as Alchemy lessens, and more, from Izumi.
Does anyone know where Izumi learned all those kick-butt moves, and how she became so strong???!!!
Chibi-Usa
I though that the way Izumi was acting was like a mother figure too, in the end of that episode.
Kills4fun
Ya, if you look right above her left breast theres the symbol, with probably means that the symbol represents they were teached by her. (just dont ask how i know it was there) unsure.gif
Martel
Damn I can't believe I missed it! What happened to the new episodes started on the 27th?
edwardasakura18
the symbol comes from another..thats all im going to say here but also..i love that symbol and its remniscent of the medical symbol of nicholas flamel.. love that too. perhaps taht has some sort of relation? i always thought so.. shrug..hai hai great episode happy.gif cant wait to see the more to come...well in english that is haha
CursedAnubis
What was with Mason banging the table when Winry asked Izumi and Sig if they had children? That was an akward moment haha laugh.gif
Red Shadow
CursedAnubis, your question about Izumi's child will be answered in later episodes. Ready, Steady, Go is likely to be the opening for the rest of the episodes, though the endings will be the right ones. I think it was some deal Larc En Ciel made with the companies (Trying to gain an American fanbase) The Flamel's cross, the symbol Ed, Al, and Izumi bear was passed down on a master-student basis. Izumi got it from her master and she gave it to the Elrics. Did anyone think that Pinako's voice actor had changed? It sounded...off. Adore this episode. There is a really nice piece on fanfiction.net, not mine, that does a beautiful job of looking at this episode. I was somewhat disappointed that they changed sensei to teacher though. Oh well, I'm always annoyed by over-translating (pokes Naruto's Shadow Clone Jutsu, it's Kage Bushin darnit!)

Ok, done ranting. I think I covered everything. Some people have defined the Flamel's Cross and its meaning in other threads and various works of fanfiction. Explore the fandom, you're sure to find them!
Ja Ne!
Ed_Elric_Fan
Izumi, I loved her she's hilarious! I especially loved the ending, it was so sweet and sad at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.