Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shounen Fans
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
MasterKris
Who says shonen is great?!
It's AWSOME!! THE FIGHTING, BATTLES, ACTION, SOMETIMES HUMOR, AND SOME A LITTLE BIT OF BLOOD AND VIOLENCE NEVA HURTS!

Things I just luv about shonen is action and humor. They are well thought out and just can be described as cool in any ways. Hey, if you are here reading this, you must be a shonen person. All of my fav manga/anime are shonen, except for some few other. (coughFBcough!)

Full Metal Alchemist -
You know why you luv it!

Bleach -
It's AWSOME!! Great characters with shinigamis and sword battles! Funny and hilarious followed by a cool anime! Couse the captains and vice-caps's different personalities, skills, AND THEIR HUMOR!! MUST BE READ!! Fighting scenes are too good with cool dramas in it.

Naruto -
Ninja stories are cool... no really, read Naruto and see what I'm talking about... OR WATCH IT ON TOONAMI!!

There are more shonen manga/anime I like, but I'll keep it limited for a while.
Blitz
Shonen is like the best thing that ever happened to reading material! Who says just because I''m a girl that I can't enjoy Shonen? I LOVE IT!!

Here's a bit of what I like:

Hagaren. (DUH)
Bleach. (teh awesome with Shinigami)
Hikaru No Go (not much action like fighting but, keeps the reader interested)
Yakitate!! Japan (just hilarious)

A lot more but I'll keep it limited like MasterKris.
DragonBall Z,YuYu Hakusho,Yu-Gi-Oh,Naruto,Shaman King and One Piece are the best to read i'll say sence most of the time i'll get jokes from them. laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif unsure.gif
Blitz
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 17 2005, 11:43 PM) [snapback]287534[/snapback]

DragonBall Z,YuYu Hakusho,Yu-Gi-Oh,Naruto,Shaman King and One Piece are the best to read i'll say sence most of the time i'll get jokes from them. laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif unsure.gif

Those are all too main stream. Try something else, expand your horizon. Those are good titles (most of them). I just can't stand Yu-Gi-Oh. "I must save the world using cards! *gasp*" That concept was good at the beginning but then, it just got old.
I recommend something like Death Note or Yakitate!! Japan.
MasterKris
Yay for Death Note!! (but I don't really read it anymore~)
Black Cat is pretty coolz too. Shaman King and Hikaru no Go are good too! I espacially like the music for HnG though... the game is pretty interesting... Shaman King is the first outside manga I read in real life. I got so addicted to it when I was in elementary! tongue.gif
Don't kill me... Detective Conan... the mystery always outshines me...>_<
Practically everything in Shonen Jump~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_lightning_alchemist10
I like Naruto, FMA (it's a shohen?), and Rurouni Kenshin. I'll probably think of more later.
Blitz
QUOTE(the_lightning_alchemist10 @ Sep 18 2005, 02:41 AM) [snapback]287667[/snapback]

I like Naruto, FMA (it's a shohen?), and Rurouni Kenshin. I'll probably think of more later.

Spelled Shonen wrong...Yes, Hagaren is a Shonen. I think that's why it's in a magazine called "Shonen GanGan."
the_lightning_alchemist10
k, but I also like Trigun. Just found out it was a Shonen
Blitz
Usually, something with violence, blood, and action (and is targeted toward boys) is Shonen. A lot of girls like Shonen though. Me being one of them. I just love the action and violence...
Celestial Shadow
I could not live without shounen biggrin.gif It's like a drug for me XP

I just can't feel the same about shoujo.
Kihaku
I love shonen manga wink.gif. It's probably my favourite.. but unlike with shoujo there are quite a few that I haven't enjoyed. Still.. most of my faves happen to be shonen.... And yeah, I'm a girl too and I like it.... just like many other girls smile.gif

QUOTE(Blitz @ Sep 17 2005, 08:56 PM) [snapback]287546[/snapback]

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 17 2005, 11:43 PM) [snapback]287534[/snapback]

Those are all too main stream. Try something else, expand your horizon. Those are good titles (most of them). I just can't stand Yu-Gi-Oh. "I must save the world using cards! *gasp*" That concept was good at the beginning but then, it just got old.
I recommend something like Death Note or Yakitate!! Japan.

Hmm.. I happen to be one, who likes the main stream manga.. or rather, the manga I like happens to be main stream... *shrugs* And uh... the Yu-gi-oh! MANGA isn't about saving the world with the cards (actually only the Doom arc in the anime is.. if I remember correctly...)

Hmm.... favourites..

Dragon Ball
Yes, this is my abosolute favourite manga series. I was quickly hooked on the story line, the characters and development. I really like the style too. It might not be the prettiest, but I liked the way the characters, scenes and backgrounds are depicted.

Prince of Tennis
I've seen more of the anime, but I love the manga pretty much for the same reason. The vast cast of individual personalities, the matches and the humour wink.gif

Yu-gi-oh!
I don't know why.. but it's just really addictive wink.gif

One Piece
The developing plot that always manages to bring something new.. and it's prob. the most hilarious manga I've read wink.gif.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Although I prefer the anime, the concept and the plot of this are too really intriguing wink.gif

Hikaru no Go
Though I haven't read much of the manga, I've enjoyed this too... mainly because of the addictive plot

Naruto
Hmm.. addictive, great characters and fight secenes wink.gif

Yakitate!! Japan
hilarious and addictive

GetBackers
I love the story, style and characters.. and this like most(or actually all) of my favourite shonen manga is also quite addictive. tongue.gif
Blitz
Hikaru No Go is one of my favorite Shonen. It's not bloody and violent or anything but, it's about Go. And yet, it pulls the reader in. It lacks character development a little bit, though. And the ending could've been better in my opinion. Overall, it's a great series to read IMO.
MasterKris
Fullmetal Alchemist
Although I prefer the anime, the concept and the plot of this are too really intriguing

EVERYONE HERE IS A FMA FAN!! biggrin.gif

The thing I don't really like about shojo is that it's just too.... girly.... I hate romance... but I do read it for the sake of humor and comedy!

Although shonen is great, there are some shonen that are just too much of shojo. Like Tsubasa, it saids it's shonen, but it feels more like shojo... not the type guys would like...

I like shonen full of action! cool.gif

I use to like Dragon Ball, but FMA has completely overpowerd my interest...
Kihaku
It's interesting.. I love romance, am a total dreamer and have the urge to pair characters who are "so right for each other"... I also prefer a a "girlier and prettier" style and love cutesy stuff, that probably wouldn't be found in shonen manga...
Still.. I guess the characters, action, humour, plot, themes etc. are what make shonen maybe in general more interesting... And still... there's no problem with imagining certain romantic relationships.. Most series do delve quite a bit into relationship of the characters...
Also.. since there often aren't any established or canon pairings in shone(though there are some..) it gives a larger possibility to one's own imagination (heh.. and since most characters are boys... *evil grin*).
Actually even though I usually really adore the romance in shoujo, in shonen it often doesn't really fit... The "compulsory love interest" hasn't got much other purpose and can be really annoying...

Hmm.. I actually consider Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle shoujo. tongue.gif but well.. I don't think every series can be divided just like that. Just because something isn't shonen it doesn't mean it's automatically shoujo and vice versa...
Omakase Shimasu
I guess it's up to me to pimp Black Cat once again. That's one shonen I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of right now. *__*

Mahou Sensei Negima is great too. And One Piece, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh... I dare say there isn't one shonen I don't like. biggrin.gif;; Yes, I'm gonna regret saying that in the nearby future.
Kihaku
I've never even tried Black Cat (hmm.. did that come out right tongue.gif), but I guess I should check it out some time... I only have a vague idea what it's about...

Actually it's hard to remember the shonen I didn't like.. probably because they aren't memorable enough. tongue.gif I do remember not being too interested in Initial D... even though I tried and Visions of Escaflowne (if that counts) and well anything sci-fi in general( that usually is shonen, or?)
Omakase Shimasu
You should! It's all about partnerships - well, to me it is. How partners should and shouldn't be. But, again, that's me and I seem to have a very different view from everybody else. tongue.gif (It's really not about a black kitten though - assassins, bishoujo and bishounen galore XD)

Aaaah, Vision of Escaflowne! I only saw the movie, and while it was good, I wasn't that impressed to seek out the series. I once saw the manga though and couldn't help but coo about the cute artstyle. I wonder why they found they needed to change all that? laugh.gif Maybe it was too cutesy.

Initial D: Battle Stage - I loved the tracks and wouldn't have minded seeing the anime if it wasn't for the high codec the fansubbers used. >_> Okay, the artwork/character designs weren't all that... great to look at, but still. Something caught my eye and even after all this time I'm still not sure what it was exactly. Maybe the races, the adrenaline, voice actors, music... or maybe a giant mix of it all.

Oh wait, we're talking manga here. biggrin.gif;; Oop.
Kihaku
Ooh! Partnership... and since I like that it's an even bigger reason to seek this out. Anyhow the anime will be coming out soon.. If it's possible I'll definitely give it a try wink.gif Hmm... and the manga is licensed too... but I'll probably see what the anime is like first wink.gif.

I never really read much of Initial D or Vision of Escaflowne... so I can't say I gave them really a proper try.. *scratches head* there must be some other shonen I haven't been too interested in.. but I just can't remember...
Demonhunter399
Shonen is the best thing to come out of manga. casue it gives me something different to read and it shows or teaches things that i never knew about diverse manga. and it tells me when upcoming events are..well coming so i can go and check them out.
animefangirl
i love shounen,accally i started liking manga ever since my freind told me about shounen jump,and whats in it (as soon as i heard it had dbz in it i had to buy it),thank good ol sounen manga im here !
Kihaku
Seriously... After watching the anime and trying the manga.. I got a new favourite!(but it doesn't beat DragonBall yet...)
Eyeshield 21 is another very addictive and incredibly hilarious shonen series that got me hooked immediately and I can't wait to read and watch more... Though it's filled with basic shonen clichés (eg. compusory girl, compulsory rival/rival team, courage, determination, team support and never giving up are the greatest assets) etc it still shines as something new and refreshing... And yet again... I'm into something that involves sports....
major_ed_pride
Shonen Rulz!!! XD Shojo is ok...sometimes...but Shonen has action! violence! action! XD
Kel
I like shojo and shounen equally. Both have their perks!

shojo: romance (I'll admit it, I'm a fluff adict) and humor
shounen: action, suspence, and awesome characters and plots

also what's funny is when there's something that you cant tell what it is!

take chobits, it's technically a shounen...can you believe that! that's hillarious!

also shojo's are usually simple and cute and shounens are more fantasy themed and actiony and make you feel more like you're reading a book. they balance out.
Kal Rommel
I started out with Shonen Jump <33
Shonen manga is just... fun! Tons of adventure, action, some angst thrown in and you have a manga! I think the only shoujo manga I have is Absolute Boyfriend, Ashiteruze Baby and Kaze Hikaru...The rest is shonen. It's just...awesome!
FMA is definitely one of the best XD
But then there's stuff like DGray Man, Yakitate Japan! , Black Cat and tons others. It's just...whee! (For lack of any other...word...)
shiro-chan
i like shonen more than shoujo. i just don't like the way some of the events in most shoujo manga lead to cheezy moments.

FMA manga defintely is great. it's better than the anime(in my opinion).

Bleach. sword-fighting. hitsugaya-taichou in school uniform. w00t!!!

Death Note is just awesome. honestly, where does raito get his ideas?

Yakitate!! Japanis so hilarious. and their omakes are must-see.

One Piece. talk about action and comedy.
beyondredemption
I like both shonen and shojo, but sometimes I more in the mood for shonen because of the action and the lack of flowers and big shiny tears. That gets old sometimes.
FireStorm Alchemist
Shounen is the best! Lots of action, suspense, character plot..yeah and so forth..the best manga's out there..
Zarpia
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 26 2005, 07:31 PM) [snapback]293166[/snapback]

Aaaah, Vision of Escaflowne! I only saw the movie, and while it was good, I wasn't that impressed to seek out the series. I once saw the manga though and couldn't help but coo about the cute artstyle. I wonder why they found they needed to change all that? laugh.gif Maybe it was too cutesy.

The movie SUCK! so much IMO, the manga is to cute. So the only good thing is the series. I never thought a manga could suck way much, and that the anime be way better XD

I LOVE Tokyo Crazy Paradise It has lots of fights, is funny, has a love triangle XD to bad it hasn't been license...and at this rate i don't think it will ever happened sad.gif

SharpShooterHawkeye
Yay! Action! Fighting! It rocks!
My favs are Black Cat, Bleach, One Piece, and FMA
Fujihakama
I perfer Shounen over Shojo. At least some of the girls at school have stopped giving me wierd looks after they read Naruto and Fullmetal alchemist....
Omamori
The only Shoujo I like is 'Sailor Moon'. I'm a Shounen lover, all the way!

Reason? Artwork is better and the guys don't look like girls! XD And, plus, I prefer an actual action story to some mushy love story sleep.gif Those irritate me. Oi. I need bloodshed, morals, and violence in my mangas! *shakes fist*

Fullmetal Alchemist - Great manga! Has the perfect amount of blood, violence, and whatnot to keep me reading! Awesome characters, as well!

Death Note - I love the battle of wits between L and Light in the first part of the series; great story-line and artwork. Plus, anything involving the supernatural will always keep me interested.

Naruto - Gah...I only have a few friends that are fans of this manga while others just hate it! Can't really see why...it's a great series full of cool characters and little plots here and there. One of my favorites!

Bleach - Lots of sword-fighting and bloodshed, plus ghosts, demons, and spirits!

One Piece - Hilarious manga with perhaps the funniest artwork I've seen in any comic book! Plus, it also has it's share of violence and whatnot, my kinda story!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.