Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ipod Nano...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
Pages: 1, 2
Blitz
So, I just found out yesterday that Apple completely scrapped the mini and replaced it with the nano. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

As you can see, they completely erased any reference/links to the mini.

Edit: Here's a pic of the black nano

user posted image

Also, here is a great article on it.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...uter-ipod-nano/
hypexzero
I might bye one soon.
Quistis88
I found out about this just last night. Now I feel good about owning a mini because it's as if they're retired/endangered. biggrin.gif

Well, I know not what to make of it, but I don't really care what Apple does. The Nano looks nice though, what with the color display and all. But I won't buy one, as I already have its predecessor. Basically, they probably just thought the Nano is now the better mini, hence the replacement.

Moving to General Music. --->
Blitz
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 9 2005, 05:43 PM)
I found out about this just last night.  Now I feel good about owning a mini because it's as if they're retired/endangered.  biggrin.gif

Well, I know not what to make of it, but I don't really care what Apple does.  The Nano looks nice though, what with the color display and all.  But I won't buy one, as I already have its predecessor.  Basically, they probably just thought the Nano is now the better mini, hence the replacement.

Moving to General Music.  --->
[right][snapback]279473[/snapback][/right]
Same here, iPod mini are going to be like a rare collectors' items soon enough. >_>;;
bryantq
Man this thing looks Sweet! I want one, but i also want to wait for the 8gb one, but then at the same time im a cheap bast**d.

What do you guys think about apple's devious pricing scheme between the nano and a regular ipod? smile.gif

http://images.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/i...eryimage012.jpg
Quistis88
I'll be merging this thread with the other one in a moment. biggrin.gif
bryantq
Hah i feel bad smile.gif please do.
Elderberry
..I couldn't help giggling a little when I saw the new thread. happy.gif;;
mongooseboi
ipods are getting so small. im perfectly fine with my 20gb ipod :] (but it does look 1337) tongue.gif
Zarpia
I knew about this a while back, i got an e-mail about it. I will love to get one, but I'm poor now T__T
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Sep 12 2005, 03:56 PM)
..I couldn't help giggling a little when I saw the new thread. happy.gif;;
[right][snapback]282518[/snapback][/right]

Heehee...me too. happy.gif

As much as I would enjoy having a Nano...I wish they'd continue with the mini long enough for me to get a cover for my mini from the local stores. All they have now are stuff for the regular iPods and Nanos.
Blitz
Yeah, me, too. I wish Apple didn't scrap the mini. I personally think that the nano should have replaced the shuffle. The shuffle can't even be called an iPod. At most, it's a iPod 0.5.
adamclark
Apple does that with their ipod line. When a new model comes out, they discontinue their old ones.

Did you notice that all the new standard ipods come with color screens? I bought mine 20G ipod in March and it does not have a color screen. Once they introduced the 40G ipod, the 30G ones were scrapped.

It's just the way it goes.

I'm sure there are a limitless number of new mini out there to buy online, but i'd rather get a nano. They seem far superior.
Blitz
Meh. I'll stick with my mini for a few more years.
adamclark
QUOTE(Blitz @ Sep 17 2005, 01:47 PM) [snapback]286790[/snapback]

Meh. I'll stick with my mini for a few more years.

That's for me. I got a 20G and won't need a new one for a few years
halomasta
Every already has a Mini so why buy a Nano? sad.gif
Quistis88
The iPod Flea Ad Spoof

Genius. laugh.gif
Zarpia
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 21 2005, 12:49 AM) [snapback]289780[/snapback]

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I can't stop laughing about it.
Quistis88
There is also this.
Haha, this is making me feel really lame with my little 128MB mp3 player. How much are they charging for these things?
Quistis88
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 21 2005, 12:16 AM) [snapback]289793[/snapback]
Haha, this is making me feel really lame with my little 128MB mp3 player. How much are they charging for these things?

Which things?
Sorry, I meant the nanos. And then I realized that there's a link to the website in the first post, so never mind. tongue.gif
Blitz
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 21 2005, 01:49 AM) [snapback]289780[/snapback]

LOL The extra song "flea infestation" thing was tic-tacs. Hahaha.
~*(Jaded)*~
I think the Nano Ipod is pretty stupid and just pointless. How small do they have ot be?! The first Ipod was pretty small to begin with, now they're just trying to make money by producing stupid products such as these dry.gif Ranting is fun! laugh.gif
Fullmetal Fugazi
that ipod flea is soooo funny
Mike
QUOTE(~*(Jaded)*~ @ Sep 21 2005, 01:36 PM) [snapback]289993[/snapback]

I think the Nano Ipod is pretty stupid and just pointless. How small do they have ot be?! The first Ipod was pretty small to begin with, now they're just trying to make money by producing stupid products such as these dry.gif Ranting is fun! laugh.gif

Wouldn't it be the smaller the better, I mean you wouldn't want to look like you've got a damn brick in your pocket.
I'm gettin a nano pretty soon, probably just the 4GB, don't need much songs. tongue.gif
Keos
Meh, technology will always move forward anyway - smaller is always better, which is why they bother coming out with these things, else there would be no point in inventing new types of phones and converging technology. Anyways, the nano is looking very smexy... complete with colour screen. I would get it if I had the money, but it looks very breakable.
halomasta
What happened to "the bigger the better."?
Ipods only work with Itunes, I just use my WMP. sad.gif
And who actually listins to 2,000+ songs anyway?
Blitz
QUOTE(Keos @ Sep 25 2005, 10:36 AM) [snapback]292117[/snapback]

Meh, technology will always move forward anyway - smaller is always better, which is why they bother coming out with these things, else there would be no point in inventing new types of phones and converging technology. Anyways, the nano is looking very smexy... complete with colour screen. I would get it if I had the money, but it looks very breakable.

I heard that it scratches VERY easily. Even when it's in your pocket covered in cloth.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(halomasta @ Sep 26 2005, 07:37 PM) [snapback]293296[/snapback]

Ipods only work with Itunes.

No, they don't. They can play any mp3 file.
Martel
LOL! Thats awesome Quisitis! I swear as soon as the Nanos came out I saw a ton of people at my school with them... They look like they'de snap if I sat down with it in my pocket! But what surprised me is that they're in color... wierd, so much technology in such a teeny tiny packet..
Blitz
A kid at my school is getting a nano. He has a shuffle, but that doesn't really count as an iPod. He was gonna get a mini but that's almost impossible now. Everyone got into a disscusion about the nano at my school the other day.
halomasta
Dude, everyone at my school has a Shuffle but can't you just get a a better cheaper one and put it on shuffle mode?
adamclark
here's a type for all ipod users: definitely invest in some sort of case or protective gear. yesterday I was cleaning through my stuff and threw a huge piece of luggage right on to of my ipod. Ouch. I didn't think it caused any damaged until I saw the crack in the screen. Fortunitely for me I had a case with a protective screen over the ipod, so only that screen was cracked.

I use an evo iskin for mine and it definitely was worth the money.
Blitz
I use a silicon covering to protect my iPod mini. Good thing I use it 'cause my brother's iPod has some scratches on his from not using the cover.
adamclark
my thoughts exactly
~*(Jaded)*~
Well the Ipod Nano supposedly has a really fragile screen, so if you cracked the regular one, your Nano might break after only one day! blink.gif
adamclark
are you serious? i guess that's the down side to the extreme slimness of the new ipods...
Blitz
Actually, that was due to a faulty vendor, the problem is limited to 0.001% of all Nanos manufactured. Apple's willing to replace them for free.

Anyhoo, new 5th gen. iPod is out with video features. You can download TV shows, movies, music videos and etc off iTunes. I wonder if you can put anime on your iPod now? It comes in black and white. happy.gif
adamclark
i just checked out the new ipod. dang.

my is officially obsolete. and i only bought it in march.

oh well. i don't plan to buy a new one anytime soon. mine still works fine.

and i don't think i need videos on it.

and I'm sure you can add anime, if the file format matches properly.

that would rock.
Fan_Alchemist
I've always liked the mini. I've never owned an ipod, mini, or nano, but they're all cute and everyone has one at school. I heard the nano's are much more delicate.
Blitz
My iPod mini has been dying on me quite fast in the last few weeks. It's getting old... T_T
Quistis88
How old is your mini, exactly?
adamclark
ipods that die really fast have to get their batteries replaced by apple. they can do that for really cheap, especially if you bought an extended warrenty. of course, i didn't. here's hoping mine won't die.

oh, about the 'anime on ipod' thing. it's totally possible. itunes is selling a few tv series episodes on their site. in addition to that, the new itunes version can play most video formats. so if you have you downloaded anime shows in the right format, you can transfer them onto a new ipod.

of course it has a small screen (compaired to a tv) but it's pretty nice for portable fma!
greenperky
the nano has a major defect and is now returning to be remanufactured. It has to do with the screen breaking or something like that.
Blitz
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 17 2005, 07:57 PM) [snapback]300956[/snapback]

How old is your mini, exactly?

It's been about a year since I got it. On top of that, it's the first generation mini so it only has eight hours of battery life. But I still love the little thing. ^.^
Quistis88
QUOTE(greenperky @ Oct 26 2005, 05:11 PM) [snapback]304726[/snapback]
the nano has a major defect and is now returning to be remanufactured. It has to do with the screen breaking or something like that.

The size of the iPod nano is great and all, but the smaller something is, the more delicate it tends to become. I heard that someone is suing Apple because they apparently continued to ship out nanos despite knowing the defectiveness, and the person pressing charges purchased one of said nanos.
Blitz
I heard about Apple getting sued for the nano's easy-to-scratch surface, too. I personally think that they should have used the same covering they used for the mini. It hardly gets scratched at all.
adamclark
yeah, i'd say it would be wise to wait before buying a new (& expensive) device before all the cinks are out. it's probably the same for the next generation ipods. they may be similar to the older versions, but they might have some new features that cause them to be faulty (all the video stuff, plus the smaller size...)
Blitz
Don't flame me for bringing this thread back up!

I just wanted to ask you many iPod users if you've had the same problems that my mini is having. I think the harddrive/battery has issues.

-The battery is crapping up, I turn it on and it dies, then the battery gauge shoots back up only to die again
-It makes strange "beep" sounds when I connect it to my computer
-It froze several times when I connected it to iTunes
-Once, the screen just started to flash randomly (fades in fades out.)

I think I should turn it in for a new one, but I just wanted to see if there are ways to fix these problems. Have any of you bought your pod from Best Buy and used the warranty? And if you did, is it good? I got mine there for Christmas last year.

If you can answer any of these questions, thanks. I'm really trying not to throw something at the moment since I only got this thing a barely a year ago and now it's obsolete so I might never own one again. T_T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.