Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How [im]modest Are You?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Carnal Malefactor
I've been wondering how people 'round these parts feel about bringing attention to themselves. I've gotta admit, I'm a bit of a showoff when it comes to a lot of stuff. I tend to flaunt my accomplishments when I'm pleased with them, and I try to absorb as much praise as possible. On the flip side, when I'm not pleased with something I've done, I shrink away from the proverbial spotlight as much as possible.
And I know this is a pretty major character flaw, but the few times I've been successful with the opposite sex in my life, I've flaunted that success, too. I'd be that guy who would point at his girlfriend and say, "hey... see that? I'm hittin' that." Of course, I'd never let the girl know I was doing this. And I have the suspsicion that this is part of the bad karma that's given me such bad luck with women in recent times. I do draw the line at PDA, though. Some things should definitely remain private.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm mostly modest. Maybe humble would be a better word than modest for me.

When I'm proud of something I do I tend to get a bit of an ego about it but not to the point of being obnoxious though. For the most part I tend to be quiet and shy which is strange I know becuse I used to perform onstage infront of large crowds. I've never liked talking about myself and am in no way a braggart.

I'm also not very modest when it comes to dress. I do like to dress sexy and feel there's nothing wrong with the human body so when it comes to that no I'm not the least bit modest.
Carnal Malefactor
Men can't dress sexy.

Or at least not in the same sense that women do.
Celestial Shadow
Mini, I admire that biggrin.gif

I'm totally modest...or whatever you wanna call it. I never feel anything I do is really good, and when I actually do like something I've done, I'll call only minor attention to it.

@Bacon- You could start by dressing fashionably...
Maes-Hughes
well, im not modest at all, i could talk about alot of my accomplishments but who needs to know about them? im not even going to say my accomplishments here tongue.gif, and im always pleased with something ive done because i always end up making a joke out of it, i dont care much about anything (charatcer flaw) and just today when i said "AHAHAHHA" looking at one of my friends they replied "Wtf is your problem" i then asked my other friend "Wtf is my problem" he pointed to Justin (My Twin) and said "Justin" and then we high fived. that was fun.

when it comes to modest im not modest at all, i try to be as immodest as i can.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Sep 6 2005, 06:29 PM)

[right][snapback]276225[/snapback][/right]

I've been told I look handsome when I'm all dressed up [total lack of modesty at work], but I feel like such a fish out of water in dressy clothes... unsure.gif
Slashrose1010
I don't know how modest I am. Sometimes people think I have a huge ego, some others think I am pretty modest. I can't judge for myself, so I guess you can think of me however you like.
Chain Alchemist
Wait a sec...

If a modest person says that "Oh, i'm really modest" or something along those lines, wouldn't that be somewhat contradictory?
Maes-Hughes
well i dont think so, because from the dictionary.com definition-Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own talents, abilities, and value.

also i like your siggy, its magic i know that but i havent played in about 3 years tongue.gif all i know is that card is Arance something.
~FMAgurl~
It depends. I'm modest when people say that I'mm really good at things(when I'm actually not), or when I'm around unfamiliar people. If my friends start bragging about how good they are, then I'll compete and do the same tongue.gif All in good fun smile.gif
Maes-Hughes
lol when my friends say they are good at things im like ya you are, so thats good. basically i just say yes you are good.
Toby-Chan
I'm more modest than anyone in the world. Ever.
Maes-Hughes
k thats good to know. i guess tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 6 2005, 08:50 PM)
I'm more modest than anyone in the world.  Ever.
[right][snapback]276422[/snapback][/right]

D'Oh! tongue.gif
ἀρχή
Just depends on my mood and how needy I am psychologically. I'd prefer to be modest, but all to often, my psyche requires me to feed the ego.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Sep 6 2005, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Sep 6 2005, 06:29 PM)

[right][snapback]276225[/snapback][/right]

I've been told I look handsome when I'm all dressed up [total lack of modesty at work], but I feel like such a fish out of water in dressy clothes... unsure.gif
[right][snapback]276230[/snapback][/right]

Same here...

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 6 2005, 08:50 PM)
I'm more modest than anyone in the world.  Ever.
[right][snapback]276422[/snapback][/right]

LIES!!

I guess around friends I DO get rather competitive...*Remembers screaming "WHO JUST KICKED YOUR ARSE" repeatedly after playing Soul Calibur 2*
Ailuro
I suppose I'm modest/humble. I don't really brag, heck I hardly talk about myself openly. I usually wait for others to ask or if we're on a topic and I share a trait or an instance with another.

I dress in pretty modest clothing.. except for every so often when I like to wear somewhat revealing clothes. ^^;
Maes-Hughes
i dont tell people about me unless they ask, because there is no point, its like i take karate. and end the convo there thas kinda useless. so i wait till they ask
Quistis88
It's hard to say, really. I suppose, on the whole, people have described me as (too) modest, so I'll go with that.

I do not brag about myself intentionally, but if someone asked me what I have accomplished, I try to include as much as I think they might like to know. I don't really talk about myself unless people ask questions where the answers will have to include me talking about myself.

I have non-existent self-esteem at my worst. mellow.gif It could be due to the fact that I have been told, by my parents, that I am worthless, all too many times in my youth, and that I am a burden. If you hear it enough, you begin to believe it. ph34r.gif
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 6 2005, 09:46 PM)
I have non-existent self-esteem at my worst.  mellow.gif  It could be due to the fact that I have been told, by my parents, that I am worthless, all too many times in my youth, and that I am a burden.  If you hear it enough, you begin to believe it.  ph34r.gif

Ohh no. All lies. Your worth is to great to be determined :3 Heh, I never have high self esteem. At my worst, I have negative self esteem, though I haven't done anything 'emo' =P yet

I try to be modest, but sometimes, I have a huge ego, and I know it. That ugly side only pops out every so often though.
Ailuro
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Sep 6 2005, 06:57 PM)
That ugly side only pops out every so often though.
[right][snapback]276577[/snapback][/right]

Only "every so often"? wink.gif
Elderberry
Hm....most people tend to say I'm modest, even though I don't think I really am...It's just that I would feel kind of impudent and boastful if I said a bunch of positive things about myself, which is probably a big part of why I almost always end up bashing myself and and my random works...ohmy.gif

In terms of clothing, however, it's probably fairly safe to say I dress very modestly...I typically wear long sleeves along with my fleece jacket, and although I wear T-shirts, in the summer, I don't wear shorts outside the house often and...happy.gif;;

QUOTE(Quistis-sama)
I have non-existent self-esteem at my worst. mellow.gif It could be due to the fact that I have been told, by my parents, that I am worthless, all too many times in my youth, and that I am a burden.  If you hear it enough, you begin to believe it. ph34r.gif
I believe it myself, and yet I still feel the strange need to burden everyone else with my disturbing prescence. mellow.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Sep 6 2005, 08:57 PM)
Ohh no. All lies. Your worth is to great to be determined :3 Heh, I never have high self esteem. At my worst, I have negative self esteem, though I haven't done anything 'emo' =P yet

Why, you little suck-up. tongue.gif There is a lot about the so-called "emo" people that I do not understand.

QUOTE(Elderberry @ Sep 6 2005, 09:04 PM)
Hm....most people tend to say I'm modest, even though I don't think I really am...It's just that I would feel kind of impudent and boastful if I said a bunch of positive things about myself, which is probably a big part of why I almost always end up bashing myself and and my random works...ohmy.gif

Same here. mellow.gif Some people find it quite annoying if one continually bashes oneself though.

In terms of clothing, however, it's probably fairly safe to say I dress very modestly...I typically wear long sleeves along with my fleece jacket, and although I wear T-shirts, in the summer, I don't wear shorts outside the house often and...happy.gif;;

Please show us your fleece jacket. biggrin.gif

I suppose I am also a modest dresser. Mother hates it. She thinks I'm not "with the times." Well, I don't want to be "with the times", really. She's been trying to get me into tank tops and miniskirts for years. Ain't happening.

I prefer dress shirts, or just any shirt with a nice collar and shirt cuffs. Then there are my signature black pants. I also rarely go anywhere without a coat/jacket. It's an odd habit. mellow.gif No matter how hot it is outside, I will bring a coat/jacket if I can, and wear it, too.

I believe it myself, and yet I feel the strange need to burden everyone with my disturbing prescence. mellow.gif

Your presence is far from disturbing. smile.gif
fullmetal_4eva
I don't really brag, but I'm not totally modest. tongue.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 6 2005, 06:46 PM)
I have non-existent self-esteem at my worst.  mellow.gif  It could be due to the fact that I have been told, by my parents, that I am worthless, all too many times in my youth, and that I am a burden.  If you hear it enough, you begin to believe it.  ph34r.gif
[right][snapback]276548[/snapback][/right]

huh.gif
Were your parent/s on crack when they told you these things?

It's nice to know that now matter how talented and intellegent you are there will always be somebody there to tell you that you suck. [sarcasm/]

Your parents and my mother should go bowling sometime.

Carnal Malefactor
Add my pops to that list. dry.gif
Ailuro
My mom should go just to lighten the mood. She makes anyone laugh and start having a good time.
Mrs. Edward Elric
Truthfully, I'm not modest. I'm kinda one of the loud types. If I find something that's anyoning or bothering me, I say it straight away, and I don't hold back. What's weird is that people in my school, like that kind of attitude. I may seem quiet when I'm around strangers or new people in my class, but once I adjust to the atmosphere, I become totally wild, but not so much that would make me hated or anything.

I would find myself very uncomfortable if I keep my mouth shut for a long period of time. On some occasions, I would be blabbing away about my life and stuff to people I meet in my class, even though some of them show no intrest what so ever >.<, I still talk, because it's in my nature. Maybe part of me talking so much or expressing myself a lot is because I love to act and perform on stage.

The only times that I'm modest is when either I'm in a sad mood or if I'm sick, laying in bed. Other than that, I'm always happy and willing to talk to anyone.
Escuro
I'm normally very modest, but at times I can be very much the opposite >D
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Sep 6 2005, 09:59 PM)
Only "every so often"?  wink.gif

Do I tend to show an egotistical side fairly often? I guess to some people I might show it more often than others *coughCelescough*

QUOTE(Elderberry @ Sep 6 2005, 10:04 PM)

That is what I usually do >3 And yes, people do get annoyed that I can't take a bloody compliment, wether it deserves one or not. I <3 being a pessimist. *most of the time*

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 6 2005, 10:14 PM)
Why, you little suck-up.  tongue.gif  There is a lot about the so-called "emo" people that I do not understand.

*shifty eyes* I don't like to suck up, I was merely stating a fact. I think most people have undertmineable value, just because I feel that life is so precious >3 And emo is just crap plain in simple. People trying to get attention because they 'think' they have big problems, though, I am sure a few of them do.
Toby-Chan
All jokes aside, I'm really pretty unpredictable when it comes to modesty, to the point when I don't even know myself whether I'm honestly being that way.

I kinda see-saw between blatant narcissism and self-loathing. I know I'm pretty good at some things I do, but I also know I'm just mediocre when looked at from an honest perspective. In that, I feel self-concious when I'm being praised for things like my art, because I know that I'm not that great. Other times, I may put myself down just because I'm fishing for some sort of uplifting praise; so the modesty can be false at times. My parents love to show off and tell people about how I'm an artist, and about how great I am, and I get embarassed, because I feel like I don't deserve all that attention. (And sometimes, it's the whole '*Fan flick* 'Oh stop~!' type of false modesty. tongue.gif)

When it comes to just me looking at myself personally, I have a solid, positive body image, however, people like to point out a lot how thin I am, and while it's usually meant as an indirect compliment, I get uncomfortable, because it's not something I have control over, and when you're as tiny as I am, anyone 3 pounds heavier than you will go on about how small you are, and how pudgy they are. It bothers me, because I feel almost like I'm being held responsible. I didn't make my genetics, nor theirs.
I often get random compliments from strangers who tell me I'm pretty. ph34r.gif It's kind of wierd.

When people compare me to themselves and say how great I am at something, and how much they suck, I really get into the shamefulness. I feel so guilty, when somebody who's really not much less talented than myself and they put themself down over and over. I don't know what to do, but to try to raise them up, and point out that I'm not that great, and try to give examples of really bad things I've done.

However, if I am really proud of something, like a drawing I've done, I'll slyly hunt for praise, by leaving it out for people to see. But that only comes once in a while.
Mrs. Edward Elric
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 7 2005, 12:42 PM)

I often get random compliments from strangers who tell me I'm pretty.  ph34r.gif It's kind of wierd. 

[right][snapback]276994[/snapback][/right]

lol, you should be flattered laugh.gif
Le Monkey
Normally very modest
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Sep 7 2005, 12:42 PM)

I kinda see-saw between blatant narcissism and self-loathing.
[right][snapback]276994[/snapback][/right]

I'm pretty much the same way. I guess when I go into my ego-tripping phases, it's always to compensate for my being displeased with my life at those times. Like in the last week and a half, or so.
Kakashi's#1 girlfriend
I am very modest-meaning I never lie to all of my friends. smile.gif
Guest_silveryCross_*
I usually am modest, because I'm pretty shy, and it makes me uncomfortable to say or hear good things about myself. In fact I can be pretty self-destructive and tend to bash myself alot. *sighs*Anyone wanna donate some self-esteem?
StrawberryShampoo
I'm really not all that modest. I'm never happy with anything I do or with who I am. When it comes to clothes I won't even wear capris in public unless I have knee high socks or something on under them. I don't even own a pair of shorts. I rarely if ever brag and if I do it's only to people that I'm really really close with...
Femalchemist
I guess you could call me modest. I was never praised much growning up so when people tell me I've done something well I just nod, not sure how to take it. Also I don't want to give them a reason for not praising me again if I do something else well. Just needy I guess. smile.gif
habitual_heaven
I have modesty, to a point. I won't go out dressed as a street-walker (becasue it would just look damn weird for a 4'10" girl to be dressed that way) but I will walk around my apartment in my underwear with all the blinds up and with God and everybody and being able to see in my apartment.

I guess I'm just wierd like that.
Toby-Chan
Oh yeah, I didn't hit the modest clothes topic.

I don't really have any immodest clothing. I was raised not to wear anything scanty, and I just grew with that. At this point, it's also just personal choice- I'm confident in my body and all, but I don't feel right showing it off too much. I wouldn't mind if it was a costume or something in which I was portraying a character for a play, or the likes of that, since that's not my own personality I'm conveying through dress. (My stupid logic taking hold here.)

I do dress wierdly, though. And somewhat hypocritically, I do wear short skirts and the like every once in a while. Generally I'll have tights or leggings, or maybe just something innocent looking to offset the amount of skin that's shown. Because it's not even just a matter of how much is covered; someone could have everything hidden, and still look slutty. And there is a big difference between frolicking in your backyard in cut-offs, and walking down the sidewalk in silver hotpants.
slayeralchemist
I do not consider myself to be modest at all. I am pretty much a show off, my sin is pride, can't help it, that is just the way I am.
000_neji
Truly,i am not modest but i'm a lonesome so some persons get that as their first impression to me...
DantElric
Put me on top of the modest scale.
I'm a quiet and conservative type of person. I don't take much credit for stuff I do, since people don't notice anyway. It's either people are just plain ungrateful, or I have a twisted view if what I've been doing. blink.gif
Oh well. I try to be nice and likeable, but I don't want to be the center of attention.
I'm a background type. smile.gif
slayeralchemist
QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 22 2006, 05:30 AM) [snapback]449584[/snapback]

Put me on top of the modest scale.
I'm a quiet and conservative type of person. I don't take much credit for stuff I do, since people don't notice anyway. It's either people are just plain ungrateful, or I have a twisted view if what I've been doing. blink.gif
Oh well. I try to be nice and likeable, but I don't want to be the center of attention.
I'm a background type. smile.gif

I love persons like you biggrin.gif , I wish I could be like that, but since I'm not, that is what I look for in a friend, actually most of my friends from school are quiet and conservative. Love that type of person tongue.gif, I think they're the smartest too.
Envy's Lady
I don't really know where I fall into this.

I'm pretty insecure inside and in real life I'm pretty shy. I really don't show off at all. I think I do so more online though sometimes(like I like to show my Envy cosplay). Or at least, sometimes want attention. I don't deny. I'm pretty lonely sometimes and I guess that's why.

I don't really like to be the center of attention though because most of the times in which I was the center of attention, it was negative attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.