Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 51 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Blitz
Reading the RAW right now...Can only understand a little bit with my very limited Japanese.

OMG!!!

Envy's true form rocks. So sickeningly twisted

DITTO!!
lialiakicks
*twitch*

Rocks?! Envy is FUGLY!!! O_O
ElvishVamp
Rocks?! Envy is FUGLY!!! O_O

I think Envy's current form is awesome! So creepy.

BTW, I love your avatar Blitz!
lialiakicks
*twitches* O_o

Gah. I wonder if Envy is gonna cause the death of Gluttony...? Or better yet, "Father" kills Gluttony cuz he brouight Al to the hideout and BAM! Ling and Ed pop back out! And, uh, let's assume that Ed and Ling kill Envy before Gluttony is killed by Father. O_O

Heh, watch this is never gonna happen.
Saturn Stars
ahaha no it probably isn't going to happen, but it's a good idea
Envious...
I expected something hideous from Envy's true form, but THIS? blink.gif

A hideous amalgam of different organisms all combining to represent Envy. I somewhat expected a "lizard-like" form, but this is beyond it. It's like something out of Castlevania.

Envy's so pissed, he's thinking "hey you guys are gonna die anyway, so why don't I help you along?"

As situations stand right now, it is obvious that Envy will be the next homunculus to go. Too bad, he was my favorite character...
MasterKris
After that Gluttony, then Wrath... then Pride, etc. I'm kinda thinking this chapter is too short for some reason.... wink.gif
Mad_Bomber
BIG ASS SPOILERS SINCE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE SPOILER FUNCTION

And so the manga differences from the anime continue. Envy, not Sloth, was the culprit soldier who 'accidently' shot the child that lead Scar down his path of rage. Knowing this, I'd prefer if Scar were to be the one to kill Envy, but that looks like it has nill chance of happening now.

Oh, and Envy is one UGLY MOFO.
AA battery
OMG. This chapter is SOO funny. CHAP 51 IS ON CRACK XD

from what I have read... (just to say that I never bothered to read summary cuz... i just don't. lol)

[spoiler]
- Ed and Lin were insulting each other at the beginning to confirm that they are the real one (not Envy disguise)
- They found everything that they saw Gluttony eating... (ex. Roy's flame... that's where the torch came from, Riza's car, Al's hand...etc)
- Ed was trying to use Al's hand to communicate with Al who he figured is save outside XD (Ed: Elric Telepathy! Receive it my little brother!) <--- that line almost made me choke on apple xD
- They then also realize that Gluttony has eaten a lot of things from the past
- another favourite line: (Ed: If there is no exit, I will make one!) XD
- they figure that the ground doesn't work (It's actually clotted blood) so they went to look for a wall instead...
- Obviously, Cheng May was crying over the loss of Xiao May..... also telling Yoki and Scar about why she came (to find the way to eternal life, or else her whole group of people will be killed). Then Scar tell her that he will help out... and Yoki told her about the elimination of the Ishvalians.
- Ed and Lin trying to figure out which side has a wall with Hawkeye's gun... and of cuz, they found nothing.
- XD Lin was hungry and Ed ended up carrying him (why am I speaking of the obvious?)
- Then Ed suggested that Lin could eat his boots (OMG XD)
- meeting envy... and Envy claims that there is no Exit out of Gluttony's stomach...
- then Envy explains that, Gluttony was an imitation of the Gate of Truth, created by their father... but its creation is a failure, that's why there is no Exit... of course, Ed then starts to panick... who would restore Al if Ed is not there anymore? ;_; Their promise would be broken...
- Ed is trying to come up with a way to open the Gate (hoping that they can leave Gluttony's stomach) and then he was trying to link up the 5th lab, suspect that King Bradley is the "father", Ishval's civil war... and Envy then admits that, he was the one that killed a child to start the war, calling how pathetic humans were because simply one bullet, started the war.
- (for those that was wondering why WInry was mentioned) Ed: So... you started the civil war... the war that destroyed our homeland... the war that gave birth of Scar (or else Scar won't be revenging to National Alchemists, right?) the civil war that took away Winry's parents...
- @_@ Real ENvy is... *pukes*
- Envy: YOU SAW THE REAL ME... the real me... (using the different "me"s in japanese... ore, boku, watashi... I guess that means yes, there are many people in Envy.)
- (that pic of Al and Xiao May looks so cute! XD; not the best time to say it...)
- Gluttony: *asking Al* I swallowed the human sacrifice... I swallowed Envy... is there a way to fix it?
- Al: I don't know.
- Gluttony: I wonder if Papa would be mad...?
- Al: Father? The one that created the Humunculus?
*had to agree that Gluttony sounded awfully CUTE in this chappie xD omg he is blushing xDDDDD*
- Then Al start to wonder where did all the mass that Gluttony ate go... also trying to figure out exactly how humunculus is created... and he decided to just take action and told Gluttony to bring him to where their "Father" is at.
[/spoiler]

*just thought Ed's automail looks SO cool on the title page* biggrin.gif

Last line of Hawkeye, あきらめるな, means "Don't give up!"

spoiler crack pic I made
MasterKris
MAJOR NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW TO USE SPOILER TAGS!!!!!!!!!

first, write [ and ] with SPOILER in it. Write in the beginning of ur spoiler.
then, write the samet thing at the end of ur spoiler except for that u put a / in front of SPOILER.

YAY! GO ED! biggrin.gif
Doshdeh
[spoiler]Knowing this, I'd prefer if Scar were to be the one to kill Envy, but that looks like it has nill chance of happening now.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'd actually like it better if Mustang was the one to kill Envy; it was Envy that killed Maes, and poor Mustang has been looking for revenge on his killer for so long. It'd be sad if Arakawa had made Roy look all this time, only to have him never find out the truth about the murder. That is, if Envy doesn't spill the beans to Ed and then Ed later tells Mustang. I don't know, I guess if it came down to the matter, I would much rather see Mustang get to carry out the final retribution.[/spoiler]
oh god i don't believe it! ANOTHER CLIFF HANGER?!
Envious...
^ heh.

Arakawa's thinking...

"Writhe in my cage of torment"

Guess where this quote is from! tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
QUOTE(Envious... @ Sep 12 2005, 11:36 PM)
I expected something hideous from Envy's true form, but THISblink.gif

A hideous amalgam of different organisms all combining to represent Envy.  I somewhat expected a "lizard-like" form, but this is beyond it.  It's like something out of Castlevania.

[right][snapback]282581[/snapback][/right]

i definitely agree there... envy's form here is more symbolic than that of the anime which is now lame in comparison.
Rinslet
Just in case, i dont wanna spoil the chp to anyone x3

[spoiler]

Envy =O wow, looks SO AWESOME!! and i though he was dead... re-dead i mean xD

i dont want a dead Ling ;O; !!!!!! he“s just too cool and, think poor Ran Fan T_T no, he CAN“T die, no no no and no >.<

omfg Roy T_T and Riza, plz plz dont make bad things to them T__T[/spoiler]

I still think that Ed looks SO hot with those clothes XD
Envious...
Although I can't read Japanese, I think in pg. 35, Ling is deducing that, despite his human appearance, Envy seems to carry an unusual amount of weight (i.e. where he puts his foot down, cracks tend to form).

So Ling guesses Envy's true form is BIG, it's just that he didn't know HOW big.
Sensenic
First of all, ZOMGFTA's scanlation is out, people. Go get it.
QUOTE(lialiakicks @ Sep 13 2005, 12:06 AM)
*twitches* O_o

Gah. I wonder if Envy is gonna cause the death of Gluttony...? Or better yet, "Father" kills Gluttony cuz he brouight Al to the hideout and BAM! Ling and Ed pop back out! And, uh, let's assume that Ed and Ling kill Envy before Gluttony is killed by Father. O_O

Heh, watch this is never gonna happen.
[right][snapback]282540[/snapback][/right]

No, it could happen, it does make sense.
As guest said, two hommunculi with one stone.

It may be sth. among the lines: Ed "freezes Envy to death" -> Dead Envy is now a lizard, which Gluttony ate -> Father kills him 'somehow' using Envy.

Voilą. Both punsihments accomplished.

BTW, come to think of it, what was Walt Disney envious of? wink.gif
(OK, sorry, that was random u_u)
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Sep 13 2005, 01:35 AM)
[spoiler]
- Envy: YOU SAW THE REAL ME... the real me... (using the different "me"s in japanese... ore, boku, watashi... I guess that means yes, there are many people in Envy.)
[/spoiler]
[right][snapback]282669[/snapback][/right]

Uh-huh, which makes me think...
To CSakuraS, if you happen to read this: I saw that you translated Envy's "Kono Envy" ("this Envy") as "I, Envy", no? I wonder, I think this way of refering to oneself in Japanese is to make you more important, to self-praise...(as this "I, Envy" would too) am I wrong? Because I think that in this case Arakawa meant it to have this double meaning of implying Envy's multiple forms/personalities, so everytime he says "kono Envy" he also literally means "this Envy" -> this form/personality, the main one. No?

Boy, I explain myself so poorly... hope you understood.
AA battery
wow, that was so fast o.o
CSakuraS
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Sep 13 2005, 04:33 AM)
To CSakuraS, if you happen to read this: I saw that you translated Envy's "Kono Envy" ("this Envy") as "I, Envy", no? I wonder, I think this way of refering to oneself in Japanese is to make you more important, to self-praise...(as this "I, Envy" would too) am I wrong? Because I think that in this case Arakawa meant it to have this double meaning of implying Envy's multiple forms/personalities, so everytime he says "kono Envy" he also literally means "this Envy" -> this form/personality, the main one. No?

[right][snapback]283185[/snapback][/right]

I'd originally translated it as "This Envy" but Umeko and I talked it over and decided to change it because it sounded awkward in English and some people may not get it.
lialiakicks
Thank you SO MUCH for the translation notes armor-alchemist!!!
*gives you Homoculi* XD
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I looked at it last night. One of my guesses was right. I can't wait until it is translated.

One of the good things about being slow about keeping up with the manga. Almost no cliffhangers. tongue.gif
SweetJanie
We're finally gonna get to see Father!! And maybe even Pride!! biggrin.gif *is da happy*

Edit: Hum.. translation is already done... o_O http://zomgfta.duelstandby.com/

hint for password: before z comes...?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Super swanky.

The put it up around the time I finished looking at #51. tongue.gif

Something else to waste time in front of the computer with when I get home.
Automne
Thank you so much for the translation! biggrin.gif

[SPOILER]See Envy's true form made my day! God, he looks cool! biggrin.gif It would be perfect if there wasn't these statues-body like things attached to his body and only the dragon![/SPOILER]

I wonder how Mini reacted!
should i feel stupid for not knowing the password?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Sep 13 2005, 11:45 AM)
I wonder how Mini reacted!
[right][snapback]283380[/snapback][/right]

I liked it!

He was cool, groody monster thingy. laugh.gif
Nice touch having all the dead bodies/different forms haning off of him.

Blitz
Haha. The password was funny.
Mars
Am I the only one who thought he was hot when he was all twisted and evil? X)

Not the ugly dragonthingy form :<
CrzyEagle
im dumb sad.gif i cant figure out the password.
Jellybean
Yeah, I had to stare at it for several minutes before I figured it out. Be persistant! (And it is funny. laugh.gif)

Thank you CSakuraS and Umeko! We love you! wub.gif
Envious...
I've been staring at it for a few minutes, and I can't figure it out. :P

Need more hints then just a ten letter "word."

I guess I'll just have to wait.
Singhay
These chapters seem so short! Oh man I can't wait til next chapter. I wonder if Al will meet... you know and even if he did... it'd be strange. I'd say more but i keep forgetting spoiler tags.
I'm really anxious to see what happens with Envy, Ed and Ling, what happens with Mustang and the Fuhrer, and what happens with Al, Gluttony and "Father". But I don't think there's any way all three of those things will happen in next month's chapter. Mustang's situation only got about 1/2 of a page in this one. The chapters really are too short. sad.gif Oh man, so long to wait.
Gotham
This turned out to be a really great chapter. I love Envy's true form. I will be sad if he is the next one to go though. I feel like we haven't heard enough from his character yet.
NLF = OMG

There's a big hint.

~Koneko-chan
Envious...
I did find the translated pages elsewhere, but I guess I'll go back for the puzzle.

*looks at clue above*

Wait a minute, that's so stupid!

*hits self*

I thought that it had something to do with letter ordering, but that? Phht. tongue.gif
Elohir
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 14 2005, 06:59 AM)
NLF = OMG

There's a big hint.

~Koneko-chan
[right][snapback]283917[/snapback][/right]

It's the opposite: for example Fe------->Ed, Bm-------->Al and so on.
Sensenic
QUOTE(CSakuraS @ Sep 13 2005, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Sep 13 2005, 04:33 AM)

[right][snapback]283185[/snapback][/right]

I'd originally translated it as "This Envy" but Umeko and I talked it over and decided to change it because it sounded awkward in English and some people may not get it.
[right][snapback]283260[/snapback][/right]

Oh, of course, I was not criticising, nor suggesting another translation... it was just this thing I noticed, and I was asking for confirmation (or denial, maybe it's just me making it up).

It's just that I've been leaning towards original versions more and more ever since I started finding things like this... little details, gags, puns, whatever that are untranslatable, only explainable. Whatever...
But in this case, I'm still waay far from being able of reading the original stuff, so, in the meantime, thanks a million for your work! smile.gif
QUOTE(Mars @ Sep 14 2005, 01:52 AM)

[right][snapback]283659[/snapback][/right]

Oh, I liked the lizard form, but I agree with you: psycho, deformed-eyes Envy was really sth.

And the Gollum omake was certainly accurate laugh.gif. A very good one there.

BTW, Mars, If you like this kind of facial expressions, a piece of advice: go read the Hellsing manga: expressions are all about deformed, evil and twisted faces.
ScarX
WoW!
I just finsihed chapter 51, it's really amazing!!!!
When do we can see the next chapter ? =)

Is it possible, that part of Envy's real form (like face ) consists of the mother-thinggy that Ed and Al created?
Smarky
Could someone provide a link to the clue because i can't seem to find it even though i've looked over the page its normally on, i've probably passed it several times but haven't been able to spot it.
Reika
Thanks for the hints, I was going crazy T_T... And thanks for the translation kyo umerio!! ^^
edwardasakura18
ahh!! ahh! ahhh!! i just finished.. i almost couldnt breathe.. pg19 ed-o you're too good!! it seems like a bridge sort of chapter and its killing mei but it was..sigh..it was great...happy.gif yaay. omg envy!! and and...well i hope al can get gluttony to help him, gluttony isnt so mean or anyting, i like him. whats happening to roy? im a bit worried... ed...ling... run!!!!! whats going to happen next? i cant even think! too good! hiromu arakawa is too good!! nappie time (cuddles with plushi)
Namir Felis
QUOTE(Gotham @ Sep 13 2005, 09:13 PM)
This turned out to be a really great chapter.  I love Envy's true form.  I will be sad if he is the next one to go though.  I feel like we haven't heard enough from his character yet.
[right][snapback]283888[/snapback][/right]

I will personally boycott the manga if Envy isn't at least second-last to die. Uber-secret Pride will probably be last 'cause he's like, uber secret.

All I know is that Envy will die by being frozen/ put in freezing water.
See This

Lust was killed by fire. Greed was boiled in oil. Which means that Arakawa is going by how the seven sins are destroyed. ^^
Automne
QUOTE(Mars @ Sep 14 2005 @ 01:52 AM)

Ooh, believe me! I think a lot of girls like his favorite form as much as him (maybe even more! tongue.gif ) especially when he was 'all twisted and evil' like you said!
His true form was just perfect for him! I loved it! The only thing that bugged me was all the white dead bodies because it makes it look like Envy is several people at the same time! (Well, of course, Envy can change shape so it's pretty obvious but I like him as 'one'. The dragon form would have been enough but it's still great! happy.gif)
I'm sure Arakawa sensei knew how we'll react! She's just great! biggrin.gif

Namir Felis: Yes, he will certainly die like this but Arakawa-sensei can still surprise us! tongue.gif
I thought someone said Roy should kill Envy...No, just...No. Mustang would have my 'eternal hate' and my poor best friend will suffer everyday because he's her fav character and I would soooo flame him everytime we'd talk about FMA and... Off topic sorry happy.gif I'm serious now: No, for me, Mustang is not the right person, he just isn't... For me at least but if Arakawa sensei wants him to kill Envy, well, he will but there's not much chance right now but of course, who knows.
drake220
For all of us who can't figure out passwords, the msn site is uploaded. Here's a link:
http://groups.msn.com/FullMetalAlchemist/f...emistmanga.msnw

On with chapter 51!
First off, contrary to what it felt like, that chapter was longer then chapter 50 by about two pages. It just seemed a heck of a lot shorter.
I am a bit annoyed that Roy was nowhere to be seen. It was a cliffhanger two months in a row! sad.gif

QUOTE(Doshdeh @ Sep 12 2005, 08:20 PM)
[spoiler]I'd actually like it better if Mustang was the one to kill Envy; it was Envy that killed Maes, and poor Mustang has been looking for revenge on his killer for so long. It'd be sad if Arakawa had made Roy look all this time, only to have him never find out the truth about the murder. That is, if Envy doesn't spill the beans to Ed and then Ed later tells Mustang. I don't know, I guess if it came down to the matter, I would much rather see Mustang get to carry out the final retribution.[/spoiler]
[right][snapback]282857[/snapback][/right]

Mustang for both president and Envy killer!

[spoiler]
Dragon Envy with his human scales was AMAZING!! He was fabulous, so scary and deranged!
And his squinty eye, really-mad face was also great!
I don't even know which I liked better!

Ed and Ling's banter at the beginning of the chapter was great!! That part where they test each other for being Envy was a highlight!

About the sea of blood that sapped their strength, i get a feeling that it's going to be significant from the way Ed and Ling kept on saying that it was the blood leeching them of their strength. But I already know that my predictions are always way off ....[/spoiler]

Does anyone else think that Ed's arm on the cover was more claw-like then usual? I distinctly recall his automail fingers being blunter and rounder, like a flesh and blood hand. Don't get me wrong, I loved the claws.
oh and Kerithor? That picture thing on the bottom of your posts of Scar? It's is amazing!! I love it! Just thought I'd tell you.
Blitz
I think Arakawa-san just drew the automail like that for the chapter page thingie.

I hate those cliff-hangers we get!! I seriously wanted to see what happened to Mustang! [spoiler]Haha, that was funny when Ling's like "His real form is very...large..............*twitch*........"[/spoiler]
GS4Life
Spoiler to be safe
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Is it just me or did Envy's face look a lot like Nina's face(as a chimera of course) when it was shaded and he said "Don't look, Don't look.... AT ME!! "?
Also X FRIGGGIN D at ED's "Besides that, that damn Envy got swallowed in the confusion? Lame!" quote.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
edwardasakura18
Namir Felis: i loved that site you put up! the information on the sins is so amazing
its blowing my mind!!! thanks so much for that...

im not loving the cliffhanger idea but im going to hold on. and on envy.. well even though im not a big envy fan i must agree with the few here and say that he was sexy in this one just.. his form was scary to say the least. i thought it was a great true form tho! the idea that its from all the different things and people he had transformed into in the past was just so smart! hiromu arakawa you're geniusical! i liked that they had everyones part was kinda shown buuut yea the roy thing.. way worried about him.. ok im just rethinking everything again.. ugh! more waiting?!?!?! sigh... ja!

Gotham
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Sep 14 2005, 03:50 PM)

His true form was just perfect for him! I loved it! The only thing that bugged me was all the white dead bodies because it makes it look like Envy is several people at the same time! (Well, of course, Envy can change shape so it's pretty obvious but I like him as 'one'. The dragon form would have been enough but it's still great! happy.gif
I'm sure Arakawa sensei knew how we'll react! She's just great! biggrin.gif

I thought the people scales were cool. Also, all of the Homuncului are collectios of people. If they all have PSs as their cores, and the PS is made with people, then all of the Homunculi are amalgimations of different humans; it's just that Envy is the only one who can show it. Lan Fan also mentions something about this when speaking about Bradly. She tells how she can sense "many people" inside all of the sins, except for Bradly. Sooooo... yeah I think the people scales are appropriate as well as awesome.
Dark_Fishie
Namir Felis - just clicked your link and saw that under Associated symbols & suchlike, it says that Envy is linked with the dog and the colour green. Remember how when he was fighting Lanfan he turned into a dog? Also, Envy's preferred form has dark green hair (in the anime). Arawaka sensei really did her homework!

I didn't notice the people scales when I was reading the RAW. It was late and I think I did miss a lot of details. When I saw the heads on his side I was like, "EEEWWWW!!!!!!!" But there certainly is a kind of twisted beauty about his true form...

Can't wait for the next chapter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.