Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 39 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
filimonovna
Ch 39 was really amazing! It's probably the only chapter, when Roy was such a positive character! I like it really mcuh! ANd finally RxR, strong RxR has come!
Shiroi
O.o This is weird. I just saw Lust die twice in one day, both incidents being completely different, yet creepy.

Chapter 39 was amazing. Roy was really cool the way he got himself out of all that. It was really clever of him to use the lighter that way and draw the circle with blood.

Now that we know this whole incident ended happily (putting aside the fact that poor Al lost an arm), I hope the later chapters aren't as suspenseful. For one thing, it's really been bugging me that Ed vanished for two whole chapters now with Armstrong, who was acting really odd. I'd really like to know what happened! ...And finding out whether Ross is dead or not would be nice too.

Okay, something else has been bothering me. You guys said that the manga Lust died because her stone was destroyed. Well, the stone fell apart after her body did, which made me wonder. Before, we've heard the homunculi say stuff like "how many times do I have to kill you before you die?" or "It seems I've died again," and stuff like that. What if each homunculus has a set number of lives, and after they die enough times, they stop coming back to life?

My theory is that the homunculus can revive as many times as there are lives in the stone, meaning as many people as it took to make the stone. That would kinda make sense, I guess. And when Roy killed Lust, he just kept attacking her until all her lives ran out.

"To die for eyes like yours..." That was so cool. At least she died happy. =P It's ironic that only last chapter, I was thinking, "will she just die already?" but now that she did, it's kinda sad.

Darn... Waiting a month is too long. -.- *Goes back to working on the fanart she's been trying to finish for EVER now...*
Hellrasinbrasin
We know, that "Father" is Hoenheim; Al and Ed's father. But we have yet to see who Pride is. As in the anime it was a SHOCK to learn that the Fhurer was Pride. I can only guess that on an if ... if ... if that "Father" might be Pride.

What say you?
Kasumi
Okay, something else has been bothering me. You guys said that the manga Lust died because her stone was destroyed. Well, the stone fell apart after her body did, which made me wonder. Before, we've heard the homunculi say stuff like "how many times do I have to kill you before you die?" or "It seems I've died again," and stuff like that. What if each homunculus has a set number of lives, and after they die enough times, they stop coming back to life?

After re-reading chapter 39, I once again cannot determine whether Roy had actually damaged the stone, or Roy killed Lust over and over again until she ran out of lives. Right now though, to me, the latter seems more likely.
Haroken
Barry gone. oh teh noes ;_;

Havoc may be gone! oh nteh noez ;_;

but gooooood chapter nonetheless.
Rinslet
T-T im nooooo happy !!!

i really though they were dead (for me, Havocīs not dead !!! whatīs the deal with gave us hope and next chapter show him dead?)

í just loved Lustīs dead (in the good sense !!! >.<) she was kinda happy after all, and...man...Roy rocks just too much !!!
Vixx Elric
I just love this chapter. First the scene of Roy shouting to Havoc saying to him that he must not die before he does, and then when he arrives to save Hawkeye (and Al but who cares XD). I'm starting to love (a bit more) Al, because in this chapter was a TRULY heroe (and Roy too of course). Oh, another month waiting for the next one... I hope Arakawa-Sensei put some Hospital!RoyAi smutt next chapter or else I'm going to burn GanGan.

And also the great "speech" that Roy told to Lust before he killed her. Amazing. And also wanna know about what will happen to Havoc...
lenita
I wonder if we'll have another R&R moment, maybe at the hospital rolleyes.gif
anyway it's a fact, Riza is not the hard woman that i thought she has feelings and she is weak at least when she thinks Taisa is dead. I love them more biggrin.gif
Maliza
this is the best chapter ever. I can make pretty Hawkeye crying icon. rawr (heheh *swet drop*)

is anyone else concerned with what Lust says when she dies?

(yebyosh's translation)

Lust: Oh, what a joy. For these eyes, the agony of silently suffering those twisted days is...soon....

(summerwolf's translation)

Lust: It would be fun....the day those eyes would be bathed in suffering...soon....

X.X.........Arakawa... fangirls can be very, i mean, VERY scary sometimes...
QUOTE(Maliza @ Sep 14 2004, 10:05 PM)

(yebyosh's translation)

Lust: Oh, what a joy. For these eyes, the agony of silently suffering those twisted eyes is...soon....

Lust: It would be fun....the day those eyes would be bathed in suffering...soon....

Eh, slight correction, yebyosh translation is

ust: Oh, what a joy. For these eyes, the agony of silently suffering those twisted days is...soon....

*runs off to check* Yep...
Chibi Viki
with what lust said, it seemed to mean that something horrible is about to be unleashed upon the world... i hope it's not another "end of the world" arc or "world domination" plot.

anyway, pride as the father? maybe... but then again, how would he/she have made the other homonculi since they can't use alchemy? uh, wait, this is true in the anime, but is it the same in the manga? it's wasn't really mentioned though.

hehehe, RoyxRiza fans unite! ^^
Tofenheimer, someday I will log
(yebyosh's translation)

Lust: Oh, what a joy. For these eyes, the agony of silently suffering those twisted eyes is...soon....

X.X.........Arakawa... fangirls can be very, i mean, VERY scary sometimes...

Now I have a couple of questions regarding this.
First yebyosh is the one doing the translating over at anime-source right?
That leaves summerwolf, who is he and where can his translations be found? Are there any great differences between the translations? Finally if there are which one is recommended for future reading, or rereading as the case may be?
Guest_guest
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 15 2004, 01:28 AM)

(yebyosh's translation)

ust: Oh, what a joy. For these eyes, the agony of silently suffering those twisted days is...soon....

summerwolf's trans is closer to the original than yebyosh's trans is.

As a person who has learned Japanese and English, I am aware how different those two languages are. Translating one from another is indeed challenging, and yebyosh is trying his very best. It's very inspiring how he's passionate about taking such a time-consuming task. Unfortunately, however, yebyosh's translations contain a fair number of mistakes. Please don't get me wrong; it is my least intention to criticize him. I just wanted you to know that what you see in the available translations might not be what the original work is really about. If you are truly interested in knowing what exactly is going on in the manga, it might be a good idea to start cracking the language on your own and compare it with others.

As for summerwolf's translation, I can't really tell if he's done a good job or not since I've never seen it.
Chibi Viki
it's hard to translate almost exactly as it says in japanese. as for me, i'm just glad someone's translating them for us, free of charge. now when the manga gets licensed, that's when we should start complaining about the translation. i just hope that whoever gets FMa manga (tokyopop, please!) won't wreak havoc on its translation like viz did with naruto (turning the dialogue into something targeted for kids... so long cursing with bad words!)
Maliza
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 15 2004, 01:28 AM)

(yebyosh's translation)

ops sorry, I think I was on crack when I wrote that *corrects*

summerwolf is a user at the livejournal and she translated all the scenes envolving Roy/Riza, but she didn't scanlate or anything... but i can tell she is pretty good at japanese... she was she one who translated the texts of chapter 37 before anime-source scanlate it, and some japanese person (mayb the guest_guest??) said it was very good
Chibi Viki
ok guys, back to the topic... do you guys think that Roy will team up with Ling and co? or will Ling be an observer? it would be a waste if Ling and his co. just stand back and watch...
angieness
I loved this image so much so I decided to color it since we'll never see it animated. Hope you guys like it, if there are any errors blame it on my being sick and wanting to finish it heh. If you want to use it for anything feel free just please give me credit. It's page 27 of this chapter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/angieness9/rizacry.jpg

On topic I imagine Roy will team up with Ling and co, at this time they probably need any help they can get
Maliza
OMGsxcxcnxcnxcn!!!
angieness thank you so much for coloring it, its gorgeous!!! O.O

I'll use it to make a LJ icon and I'll credit~

and I think I'm in love <3
angieness
glad you enjoyed it! ^^
Chibi Viki
angieness... link not working T_T

i wanna see it... >_<
IPB Image
ohmy.gif
Chibi Viki
WOW! Thanks guest! ^^

angieness... it's SO COOL!! :,3
angieness
Thank you again! And thank you guest for posting it for me, if that image breaks of my link continues to not work just go here http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10667767/
EditDeath
MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILER!!!!!!!!

This was an idea brought up back when Greed was killed in the manga, which lust's death has all but proved. Basically, the thought is that their deaths have nothing to do with the philosopher's stone, and everything to do with their names.

Thus far, the dead Sins have died in manners reminiscent of that sin's punishment in hell. I won't say the punishments for those living, so I'm not giving too much away, but the punishment for lust is to be forever burned in fire and brimstone. Roy certainly supplied plenty of that. Greed is punished by being boiled in oil (expensive oil), which the red water is more than adequate to substitute for.

Anyway, that's how its shaping up to me. Gotta say, though; I'm REALLY not looking forward to the Fuhrer's death. Eww.
Chibi Viki
out of curiousity, I checked out Edit Death's info...

here's a reference page with a creepy background music: 7 cardinal sins

yeah, wrath's death is... eeew... hehehe, makes the manga all the more exciting. but the others just doesn't sound as severe as the others. i wonder how arakawa-sensei plans to pull them off?
Queen of the dammed
woa... blink.gif Scary man.... HOW THE HELL IS GLUTTONY GONNA DIE?????? CHOKES ON A FROG?????
Maybe Naruto makes a special cameo appearance and summons that frog of his laugh.gif
Chibi Viki
well, maybe not literally though (i mean, pit of snakes?!)

maybe it's something similar... hehehe, the following manga chapters have become more interesting now... hope arakawa-sensei keeps up the great work! ^^
EditDeath
For Gluttony, I'm thinking the human chimera that escaped the Elrics in chapter 25. Its the last time he's been seen, as near as I can tell. From the looks of things, I'd say he's got some lizard in him. Besides, gotta be some reason for him to be in the manga right? Arakawa's not the type to throw in random characters for no purpose. Just look at Black Hayate! cool.gif
Chibi Viki
oh yeah... *thinks about gluttony eating him* eeeew...

i wonder when arakawa-sensei will unveil pride... he/she seems to be a very interesting character now. with the way things are, the manga will still take a long time to finish.

i guess envy is pretty pissed off now since roy killed lust.
Queen of the dammed
I think Gluttony will be even more pissed....
Chibi Viki
i haven't seen gluttony being pissed... only sad, cheerful and evil...
Kasumi
Yeah, evil, definitely evil. I can't really imagine Gluttony looking pissed.
Chibi Viki
even in the anime, i've never seen gluttony pissed.
wolfi1412
yep.. he only seems sad and disappointed.. u know will Gluttony be pissed he knows that Lust dies? lolz
Kasumi
Gluttony will be sad when he finds out Lust died...but pissed? I don't know...
Maliza
in the anime he was VERY SAD...I felt very sorry for him :/... he looked like a 4 year old looking for his mommy...

I think the same will go for the manga...
Chibi Viki
yeah... lust was always like a mother to him... or a big sister....
Queen of the dammed
How gluttony will look pissed off:

1) HE will look depressed
2) then he will look evil
3) then he will look depressed and evil at the same time...

At least, that's how I think he'll look like...
Chibi Viki
combo move! hahahaha... damn, 3 more weeks to chap 40...

my wish for the next chapter would be a royxriza-ccentric chapter:

following her badly injured colonel to the hospital, riza hawkeye sits in the waiting lobby of the emergency room for news of her superior's and her officemate's conditions.

alone with her thoughts, she sits silently in the empty lobby as her mind relives the moment that fate had brought her and her colonel together for the first time...

that's what i want to see :,3
hakai-kun
not a big fan of royxriza, but hey, it works. still think rizaxhavoc would be better but havoc may be dead... blink.gif i kinda doubt it though... or that could be me hoping. l0l.

that's an interesting point on how the sin's will die. but yea, the gluttony one? or the pit of snakes? -shrugs-

i don't think pride was talking telepathically. but i can't wait to see who it is! the whole 'mysterious' voice thing. l0l. also i'm kinda wondering what happened to armstrong and ed? first Aru get's kidnapped, and now ed. l0l. everyone just loves the elric brother, eh? tongue.gif

can't wait for the next chapter!! laugh.gif
Chibi Viki
just recently found out that the punishments of the sins where taken from Dante Alighieri's Inferno, part of the Divine Comedy.

hehe, i'm kinda interested to read it, but i don't know if i'll be able to live through the verse-format. i'm still hoping for a prose version to just read through the whole thing like a novel... but apparently this book requires a lot of thinking to understand...
caronee
Where are you guys even getting these chapters? This site only has it up to chapter 33. T_T I wanna read 34-39!!! Where are they???
wtv
Here you go : http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules...tegories&cid=20

Have fun tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
*looking at wtv's icon* poor hayate happy.gif;;

anyway, drat, i thought chap 40 comes uot this weekend until i saw the date today... ~_~

after fma ended, my appetite for fma just went bigger... >_<
Kasumi
It should to be out tomorrow. happy.gif And yay! No school for me tomorrow!
Noriko
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 22 2004, 06:25 PM)
just recently found out that the punishments of the sins where taken from Dante Alighieri's Inferno, part of the Divine Comedy.

hehe, i'm kinda interested to read it, but i don't know if i'll be able to live through the verse-format. i'm still hoping for a prose version to just read through the whole thing like a novel... but apparently this book requires a lot of thinking to understand...

Dante's Inferno was... ok... I guess XD I read it several years ago and... it was confusing but then kinda logical. But then again, anything from the beginning of the Italian Renaissance seems logical to us nowadays tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
ok people, looks like chap 40 is out. smile.gif
chickensushi
~ Chapter 39 Question..."pride"?, Whoa, wait, there's mention of "Pride".. so, what/who is Pride?? ~

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)-->In chp 39, when Envy is about to show his true form, a voice calls him to stop, which Envy identifies as "Pride". Thus, are we able to conclude that there is the existence of the sin "Pride" in the manga as well? But then when Greed met Hohemhiem, there was no mention of the sin "Pride" and Greed was rather suprised that Wrath was "the brother created to complete our final step" as Lust mentioned. It was also mentioned by Lust that Wrath was created after Greed left the gang.

Therefore... supposly wasn't Wrath the last homonculus that was needed? If there was a homonculus "Pride" previously created....then presumably Greed would try to find him/her as he makes mention of all the other sins. But he doesn't, thus Pride must be created after Greed left. This is wierd since, Wrath is the one created to take Greed's place, yet Wrath is also the last one they needed. So where does Pride come in? I thought at first maybe it was just a translation error, where they replaced "Pride" for "Wrath" because Bradley is "Pride" in the anime. But thats impossible, because Bradley had already entered the military base after Mustang. And since Lan Fan and her master was fighting out on the street, it couldn't have been Wrath's voice by mistaken.

Anyways, Pride indeed exists then. But, when? And for what purpose? Theoretically Greed should know all the sins created before he left. But he maks no mention of Pride so he/she MUST be created after Greed left. But if Wrath was the one created shortly after Greed left, and the last needed....how does Pride fit into this logic?
Queen of the dammed
Pehrhaps they're all to scared to say his name because he's UBER powerful....(And why Envy envies him is because... HE IS SO MUCH WAY HOTTER!!!!!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.