Standard Disclaimers: I dont own FMA or the song Hands To Heaven.

Hands To Heaven

(Denny’s POV)

I knew when I joined the military that there was the chance that I would have to fight. War happens everyday and soldiers are called to do their duty to their country. I have an obligation to protect the country of Amestris. That is what I was trained to do. However, no amount of training could ever prepare me for having to leave her.

2nd Lieutenant Ross. My beautiful Maria. The only woman I had ever truly loved.

I have to leave Maria in the morning. I know there’s the possibility that I might never see her again. That very thought is shattering my heart into pieces.

As I watch you move across the moonlit room
There’s so much tenderness in your loving
Tomorrow I must leave, the dawn knows no reprieve
God give me strength when I am leaving

“Maria, you look tired,” I tell her. It’s obvious that she hasn’t slept much since I told her I was going to battle. “You need to get some sleep.”

“No,” Maria said sadly as she shook her head, “I don’t want to sleep now. Morning will come too soon if I do.”

I run my fingers through Maria’s short dark brown hair. It hurts me so much to see her so sad. All I ever want is for her to smile and be happy. “Ok, we don’t have to sleep if you don’t want to. We can just lay in bed and talk or something.”

I take her hand in my own and lead her to my room. This is the first night we are going to spend together. I just hope this isn’t the last.

So raise your hands to Heaven and pray
That we’ll be back together someday

After finding some night clothes for Maria to wear, she and I get into bed. Maria closed her eyes and folded her hands together in a silent prayer.

“What did you pray about?” I asked her when she finished.

“I prayed for your safe return,” She replied.

I pull her close. She wraps her arms around me tightly and snuggles against my chest. I rest my chin atop her head and breathe in deeply, taking in her sweet scent. “I love you Maria.”

She raises her head to look at me “I love you too Denny Bloch,”

Tonight I need your sweet caress
Hold me in the darkness
Tonight you calm my restlessness
You relieve my sadness

Tears spill from Maria’s beautiful ocean blue eyes. It’s very rare that I see her cry. Being a military woman, Maria isn’t always so open with her emotions.

“What’s wrong Maria?” I ask as I brush those tears away with my thumbs.

“Im afraid Denny. I don’t want you to go.” She begins to sob uncontrollably.

I begin to rock her back and forth slowly to calm her. “Shhhhh, please don’t cry.”

“I cant help it Denny. What if you never come back to me?”

“Oh Maria,” I say as I bury my face in her hair.

Damn it. This isn’t fair. It’s going to be so hard to be separated from Maria. Im going to be so alone without her.

As we move to embrace, tears run down your face
I whisper words of love so softly
I cant believe this pain, it’s driving me insane
Without your touch, life will be lonely

I gently cup her chin in my hand. Moving closer, our lips met in a sweet kiss. We part after a few seconds. I can no longer ignore my growing desire for her. I slip my hands under the hem of her shirt and slowly pull it over her head.

After discarding my own clothing, I kiss her again. The warmth of her body is so comforting to me right now.

“Denny,” she whispered. Her voice a little hoarse from crying so much.

I just nod in understanding as we both lay down. Maria puts her arms around my neck and starts to kiss me roughly. A blissful feeling soon takes over my body. Thoughts of what tomorrow will bring are now gone as we allow ourselves to focus only on each other.

So raise your hands to Heaven and pray
That we’ll be back together someday

Maria is asleep now.

A single tear runs down my face as I watch her. How I hate putting her through misery like this.

“Maria,” I whisper softly so I wont disturb her, “Im going to be ok out there knowing that I have someone at home who loves me. I know it’s not going to be easy but I don’t want you to be sad while Im gone. Even if I don’t come home always remember that I love you.”

Tonight I need your sweet caress
Hold me in the darkness
Tonight you calm my restlessness
You relieve my sadness

I wake up a few hours later. The sun is slowly rising. Morning has come at last.

“Good morning,” I hear Maria say.

“Morning,” I tell her tiredly. Her eyes are red and puffy. She had been crying again.

We lay in bed and cuddle for a while. No words, just cuddling. How I wish we could just stay that way.

Soon it is time for me to get ready to leave. Maria just watches me as I put on my uniform. After dressing, I take the picture of Maria I keep on my night stand and put it in my bag. “There, now I’ll have something pretty to look at every night.” I say with a smile.

For the first time that morning, Maria smiled. Even though it was just a small smile, it was still enough for me.

Morning has come, another day
I must pack my bags and say goodbye

Maria and I are both silent on the drive to the train station. When we arrive, we see the other soldiers saying goodbye to the ones they love. It’s so sad because some of them wont be returning.

“Please be safe Denny,” Maria says as she embraces me.

“You take care of yourself,” I tell her as I return the hug. Im more worried about her than I am about myself.

The whistle from the train signals that it’s about to leave. Reluctantly, I pull away from Maria. The moment we have been dreading has arrived.

“I have to go now,” I tell her, “I love you.”

“I love you too Denny,” She says, “I’ll be waiting for you.”

After giving her one last kiss, I board the train. After finding a seat, I look out the window. 1st Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye is comforting Maria. She also looks very distressed. Most likely because Roy Mustang is leaving too.

The train is now pulling away from the station. With a grin, I wave to Maria. She walks to the very edge of the platform, waving back.

I keep waving until I could no longer see her.

“I’ll come back to you Maria. I promise.”

Goodbye

The End

Im sorry for any OOCness. I've been wanting to write something romantic involving Denny and Maria. They dont seem to have much of a fandom sad.gif
I hope you liked it.