Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Is Better? Manga Or Anime?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Art of Misconception
I'll say.. um, it evens out.

Anime and manga varies on how much the tone and mood goes. Like for some: Yu Yu Hakusho the anime is definitely way more interesting that the manga version. So that's to say, there are some anime out there that are more interesting than manga while there are some manga out there that is much more favorable than anime.

But then again, for manga, you read it so you have develope your own sense of perspectiveness.

Anime is just filled with effects and background sounds so you don't really have to picture anything. Although sometimes the dubbed voices are scary.
Fayt
Manga for some reason
fullmetal_4eva
ANIME! It's just my prefrence, sometimes I get confused reading magna and don't understand what going on tongue.gif
Crystalix
Anime is just a bit more appealing than Manga (In my opinion). Factors like music & voices can really bring out a more emotional feeling than looking at pictures & text.
fullmetal_4eva
I totally agree! wink.gif
Gato Gurl914
i like a balance of both. but for the sake of the topic ill have to say manga. they don't edit it as much as anime.
Cloudstrife
i dont know why but i prefer manga
the_lightning_alchemist10
I think it all depends on the series. For examples, Inu Yasha is better as an anime onacounta some of them look freaky in the manga (plus the fact the manga is rated like T+ for a reason). But, in Fruits Basket I love the manga onacounta the anime leaves so much out, and messes some stuff up. again, for me it all depends.
Nicholas_Flamel
A few weeks ago, I would've said anime, but since then my friend has gotten me into manga ^^

So I say tie.
Kihaku
It depends a lot. Mostly... the manga version is better, mainly because it's the original and the anime version might tone down some of the more drastic scenes and create fillers if it catches up (depending on the series, it can be good or bad).
In some cases though the anime is the original one.. and usually then.. the manga doesn't measure up either(like Digimon.. if that even is counted.. and I probably loath the Evangelion manga version even more than the anime).
Usually the art in the manga is also a lot better.. but that also depends.
I also enjoy rereading manga more than rewatching anime... I usually don't watch anime eps again very often unless the series is really good (and I wouldn't have the space and time either), but the manga story is easy to read all over again.. and it usually flows better. I'd have to say that I definitely prefer manga to anime, but there are some series that are almost as or more enjoyable as anime. The music, colours and voices are also something spectacular and can create a different kind of feeling. smile.gif
kath
well to me anime is better, cuz u dont have to be reading, and mostly thinking or imagining the sounds on ur head dry.gif
well and besides its on tv tongue.gif
well and cuz the characters on the anime are doing different faces and they look different, and besides u can hear the voices of the ppl, not in ur head blink.gif unsure.gif
and cuz in the anime, they have a theme song smile.gif
well i also like mangas but i prefer anime smile.gif
Kimimaru
i like the manga and anime at times but i think that the manga is better
animejunkie429800
It depends if the anime has fillers or not. biggrin.gif
Jen_Elric
I think for me it depends on the series. Example:
For Gravitation and Fruits Basket, I love the Manga more than the anime. I still watch the anime (cuz I like watching the characters moving around and talking, and cuz it's anime!), but the manga goes further than the anime, and has wayy more.
For Inuyasha, I like the anime more than the manga. The manga DOES go further (the anime is over, but the manga is still going), but I'm not a huge fan of the art. Plus, I have to wait 3 months for the volumes to come out!
FMA is an exception. I love both the anime AND manga! I feel they both are exceptional and they are just great!
Willow
Hmm.. it mostly depends. Because usually the manga is always better then their anime counter part. Though I do watch anime more because itís easier that way then collecting all of the mangas. But I do tend to like things better with the manga then with the anime.
Ed#1Fan2.0
i like anime better cuz you can here it and i pay attention more tongue.gif
ChibiOtakuElric
anime cause its more available and explains things better
Sheska
Sister, anime is just as available as manga. And I'm talking legally. I mean it's not that hard to go to a book store or video store. Expensive? Yes. Difficult? Hardly.

But to whether anime or manga is better, I agree with a lot of other people. It really does depend. Most of the time the manga is the orginal and then the anime could suck. Like Fruits Basket, there are 11 volumes but only 26 episodes or something. Unless there are more coming out. If there are feel free to correct me. Also the way they were drawn, I mean, Kyo's hair is not cool, it's dull and that annoyed me. Also Tohru Honda-san's american voice...it's REALLY annoying at first. Then you get used to it.

Then there are times where the anime could be better then the manga. Like Sailor Moon for instance, or at least what I can remember from the anime. I just re-read the first four and I don't know why I liked so much in 6th and 7th grade. Don't get me wrong I love SM, but the anime seems a lot more better. When I looked at it, Luna seemed like Mary Sue. She has the mysterious past that she cannot remember all at the same time she was gathering the Sailor Scouts and had to go find the Princess. If she couldn't remember, then why is she doing it?! Does anyone else see the sense in this?

And for FMA, I'll read it. I'll watch it. The story line and characters are too good to chose a favorite.
elalquimistafilosofal
anime it have more interesting things also i love it cool.gif
the_lightning_alchemist10
But to whether anime or manga is better, I agree with a lot of other people. It really does depend. Most of the time the manga is the orginal and then the anime could suck. Like Fruits Basket, there are 11 volumes but only 26 episodes or something. Unless there are more coming out. If there are feel free to correct me. Also the way they were drawn, I mean, Kyo's hair is not cool, it's dull and that annoyed me. Also Tohru Honda-san's american voice...it's REALLY annoying at first. Then you get used to it.

Well, the Fruits Basket directer said NO!!! But ya can always get a new directer. Funimation is also doing an origami crane thing. When they make 1,000 cranes made by fans at cons (legend says if ya make 1,000 cranes, ya get your wish), so when that happens, they're gonna send it to Japan to try to convunce them.

Any way, I already said it depends. So, if you are going "WTF?", try READINSG ALL THE GOD DAMN POSTS!!!!!!!!!! 'kay?! I SAID O-K!!!!!!!!
SsleepyAlly
It depends. I like both but when I read Saiyuki in manga and then watch it in anime, I would totally go for the manga. Kazuya Minekura's art is fantastic but I guess they couldn't copy it that good. dry.gif Mind you, I'm not talking about Reload, that's way better in my opinion.

But ya, it depends.
full flame
i watch the anime and read the manga but i must say i like the manga. it leaves at least somthing to the imagination and i can follow it with my own time.
Dai
I can choose.

Ussually I like the manga over the anime for one reason, ussually manga's story is more complete and is better (ussually, don't blame me XD), but I have to say that to see a story in animated version is cool, so I like them both.

In some cases, like FMA, I like the manga over the anime, but in others, like Digimon, anime is better.
Fullmetal Fugazi
I like the anime better I think
Elric Edo-chan
manga all the way man ;D
Artaxerxes
i usually prefer manga because its easier to go back and referr to sections to remember things better.. but for fight sceans usually the anime is better because you can see whats going on more clearly and it usually has more action to it
chidori69
it depends i guess..
but i probably would go anime.. because its less effort...haha [me=lazy]

but i do read alot of manga.. at the moment the bleach manga is great..and the anime is kinda slow at the moment..[training shouldnt take 3 eps...]

and then the other anime that disapointed me was ichigo 100%.. i love the manga..and the anime cut out so much..i couldnt believe it.. and in my mind all the voices sounded better..but i was upset when the voices were crap...
shogunskey
i think the manga is better because i like to read but after the manga

i like to watch the show to see if they leave stuff out of change names stuff like that.
FullMetal_Stella
I like anime better since I am too *lazy* to sit down for hours and read a manga. I hate reading so long to be honest... But I DO read manga, and there are some scenes I like better in the manga than in the anime version. fx Detective Conan's manga is much better than the anime, both the art and act. But I like FMA's anime better than the manga, and InuYasha's too.
I tend to prefer the manga over the anime. In general, manga are more detailed, story-wise. I prefer reading, in general. That's not to say I don't like anime. Manga and anime just two different mediums which give two different impressions. Sometimes the anime is better. You have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

As a side note, I thought the FMA manga was infinately better than the anime. The anime had too much melodrama, plus the manga has Ling.

The Black Blood Alchemist
QUOTE(Art of Misconception @ Aug 22 2005, 02:19 PM) [snapback]257984[/snapback]

Anime and manga varies on how much the tone and mood goes. Like for some: Yu Yu Hakusho the anime is definitely way more interesting that the manga version. So that's to say, there are some anime out there that are more interesting than manga while there are some manga out there that is much more favorable than anime.

But then again, for manga, you read it so you have develope your own sense of perspectiveness.

Anime is just filled with effects and background sounds so you don't really have to picture anything. Although sometimes the dubbed voices are scary.

I totally agree; it just depends on a person's preference. Each has its advantages and disadvantages (obviously seeing a favorite graphic novel series animated is a plus). "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a highly interesting anime and I find it more desirable than the manga (which I still read). However, I find it best to read both the anime AND manga series because some things are different and it's interesting to see the changes made, even though not all of them are good. "Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School" is my most favorite manga series (in fact, it was my first and the reason I'm into manga), and kicks serious azz. I like the anime okay, but I admit it could have been 110% better and was a letdown because it has absolutely nothing to do with the manga. I'm hoping they'll do like the upcoming "Hellsing" OVA and reanimate the series to follow the manga much more closely.

So, not all manga-turned-anime are good, but at the same time some animated series can be better than the original pen, paper, and script illustrations. It all just depends on how a person feels about it. Depending on what you see first, like seeing an anime before reading the manga, then a person might like the anime better because they're more used to it even though the manga was out years before the anime itself. It depends on what one's used to and their preference, but I swing either way.
CursedAnubis
When we're talking Naruto, I definatley prefer the scanlation manga... The anime is so... um, filler. laugh.gif
manga is generally better... i think it's because often when anime is made, they change the story lines. a good example is Samurai Deeper Kyo. the anime was totally different to the manga, that's why it's a let down mad.gif

however there are occasional anime that's better than the manga though~ eg. Inu-Yasha. there are also some really good anime that's equally good as its original manga... Naruto~^^~
Anime-Kat2002
QUOTE(The Black Blood Alchemist @ Oct 10 2005, 12:03 AM) [snapback]297998[/snapback]

QUOTE(Art of Misconception @ Aug 22 2005, 02:19 PM) [snapback]257984[/snapback]

I totally agree; it just depends on a person's preference. Each has its advantages and disadvantages (obviously seeing a favorite graphic novel series animated is a plus). "Yu Yu Hakusho" is a highly interesting anime and I find it more desirable than the manga (which I still read). However, I find it best to read both the anime AND manga series because some things are different and it's interesting to see the changes made, even though not all of them are good. "Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School" is my most favorite manga series (in fact, it was my first and the reason I'm into manga), and kicks serious azz. I like the anime okay, but I admit it could have been 110% better and was a letdown because it has absolutely nothing to do with the manga. I'm hoping they'll do like the upcoming "Hellsing" OVA and reanimate the series to follow the manga much more closely.

So, not all manga-turned-anime are good, but at the same time some animated series can be better than the original pen, paper, and script illustrations. It all just depends on how a person feels about it. Depending on what you see first, like seeing an anime before reading the manga, then a person might like the anime better because they're more used to it even though the manga was out years before the anime itself. It depends on what one's used to and their preference, but I swing either way.

I totally agree with you. There are just some animes that were better as mangas and some mangas that are better as animes. It just depends on the person and the preference. I couldn't have said it better. ^-^
Chopper Enthusiast
I think it depends on the series.
snwbnny
I agree with Chopper Enthusiast

In my opinion it really depends on the series. With some, I think they do better on the anime. But with others they do way better with the manga. Like, for Fullmetal Alchemist, I enjoy both the anime and the manga. Sometimes they aren't very descriptive in the manga, but they are in the anime or vise versa. And other times, they leave out a lot of things that was originally in the manga and change some things. So, I guess I enjoy both, depending on the series.
InsaneFangirl
Hmmm....depends on the series if you ask me.

FMA is way better as an anime, however Fruits Basket is better as a manga.
Tombow
Yeah, it depends on series. Not only the story can be different, but sometimes the drawing styles are different also, and I may develop the preference based on that as well.
DustStorm
Some manga are not meant to be anime-fied *coughnarutocough*
Riza_0721
Definitly anime. I can hear it and watch it.

I can pay attention more too and get more that when I just read it.

Sometimes I get distracted when I read and don't pick up something.

So anime is better.
Dingbat
Depends on the series. However when you tally it up Manga > Anime in most cases.

Take Detective Conan. The anime is horrible. The art is so mutilated and I'm not even gonna go into the dubbing *shudders*. The manga is GODLY compared to the anime. On the ther hand, IniYasha looks better in anime than in manga. Perhaps my style doesn't match RumiTan's style - but definitely anime InuYasha (and Ranma) are better than their manga counterparts.

There are also some that are good both ways, e.g. Rurouni Kenshin and Love Hina. FMA is also good but the emo-ness of the anime kills me...

Yes, some manga are not meant to be anime-fied. The result is rather disaster-ific (IMO). Naruto, One Piece, Shaman King and Detective Conan among others. Another reason why I like manga better is because it is the ORIGINAL storyline. Take FMA - it's a completely different story. Or maybe Naruto - it's all but fillers now.

With manga the storyline is often unrestricted - you can have gore, sex (implied or otherwise), touchy subjects, etc that help advance the story. Anime can also choose to take this approach but more people will be offended by it because anime is free for public viewing, while manga is an optional media. Hence manga retains more of the original thoughts of the author.

In the end Manga > Anime.
DustStorm
I like manga better because you can make up your own version of how the character sounds.
Fan_Alchemist
I say it depends on the version of the anime...Subbed or Dudded. But I enjoy both.
CRAP ALCHEMIST
Manga drawings are usually better.
SNOOGY
I agree. If the artwork is from the creator it's usually better.
Edward Elric! Duh! Whoo hoo!
That is imposible to say. The best thing about the Anime is that you have to do no reading smile.gif huh.gif But, The Manga is awsome because You get to image the caracters with any wierd vocie you chosse. laugh.gif Plus, you dont have to screw around with DVD player cords laugh.gif Oh.. And the anime is in color.............. HTF am I supposed to memorize the Url for an image?!?! ANt you brose anymore
CRAP ALCHEMIST
I here ya loud and clear buddy!
please dont hurt me
i would have to say that anime is better manga
The Great Asparagus
i say manga!! mangas tend to have a better plot and make more sense. but i still like the anime, partly cuz you can hear their voices and music and everything. happy.gif like for example, the furuba anime, i loved the momiji song!! teru teru momiji
Sleeping Forest
eh...it's a tie...i love anime, but manga is good, too....especially when you have a 3 hour commute (that's both ways) to school everyday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.