Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma In Korean Language
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Envious...
I'm sure many of you came into this topic thinking, "What?" blink.gif

Well, it's my rather poor attempt at phonetically spelling Fullmetal Alchemist in Korean. tongue.gif

A few weeks ago, a few acquaintances from South Korea came over, and I was planning to share my anime collection with them. But what amazed me was that they recognized FMA right away, and called it by this entirely different title.

Well, I looked it up, and sure enough, the "dark tendrils" of FMA had already thoroughly entrenched itself into my homeland. They already had up to eleven volumes of the manga and even had translated versions of items that would be unlikely to ever see U.S. soil (i.e. the manga's "Perfect Guide"). I had clearly underestimated the Korean ability to absorb new anime/manga... but don't blame me! I haven't visited for many years!

When I purchased and looked over the Korean manga (or manhwa), I was impressed by its quality and similarity to the Japanese version. Only differences really were the size of the books (the Korean version was larger, for translational purposes probably) and it was in Korean tongue.gif Even the sound effects were accurately translated (I always found the Korean translation of SFX to be easier to take in than the English translation...). Thanks to the Korean manhwa, I was able to see FMA Omake that I have never seen before (not even on the internet), such as the various highly amusing "director's diary" comic strips.

Although I have small difficulty in reading Korean, I will no doubt pursue my collection of FMA "manhwa", and will look out for more FMA-related literary works to be translated.

*I wonder what the FMA anime sounds like in Korean...*
ScarX
Wow =)

Ok, I've seen 10mins. of "강철 의 연금술사" (can you read it ? Thats F.M.A in Korean spelling - Anime)
I'm not sure, but as far as I know, the speaker of Alphoonse is a woman!
More informatinos later, forgot them all sleep.gif

Maybe thats because of the translations, but I think, the Korean version of F.M.A is funnier than the translated english F.M.A 'coz there are more jokes etc =)

Thanks to the Korean manhwa, I was able to see FMA Omake that I have never seen before (not even on the internet), such as the various highly amusing "director's diary" comic strips.

A lot of Korean manga's have these "director's diary"/additional comic strips!

Post scriptum: If you compare the Koraen and Japanese F.M.A covers, you'll see little differences (colors,design,font)
Shizuka85
QUOTE(ScarX @ Aug 20 2005, 10:21 AM)
I'm not sure, but as far as I know, the speaker of Alphoonse is a woman!

The Japanese voice actors of Ed and Al are women, too.
MasterKris
the voice actor of Ed, Paku Romi, is also a Korean.

I have the Korean FMA manga!!
It's translated REALLY well!!

강철의 연금술사
It's actually written like this. FMA is popular in Korea too!! Usually, Korea is usually always the fastest country to translate animes and mangas!!
Envious...
강철의 연금술사

Yes, that's how you write it in Korean! Sure is harder to spell in English than "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi" though. tongue.gif

Like I said already, I was really surprised (pleasantly) that FMA was so prevalent in Korea already, and am glad to see the quality translation work done for the manga.

Has anyone seen the director's comic about the day when FMA was approved for animation? A bit long, but hiliarious.
Blitz
I might go to Korea next year so I'll probably pick up a copy of Hagaren vol. 1 and compare the English translations and Korean translations. Ahhh...can't wait to visit, I haven't been back in a while. I'll pile up on manga and manhwa.
AA battery
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Aug 20 2005, 12:13 PM)
the voice actor of Ed, Paku Romi, is also a Korean.

I have the Korean FMA manga!!
It's translated REALLY well!!

강철의 연금술사
It's actually written like this. FMA is popular in Korea too!! Usually, Korea is usually always the fastest country to translate animes and mangas!!
[snapback]256848[/snapback]

if we are all picky enough, then we should spell her name as "Park Romi", the Korean way. biggrin.gif
MasterKris
There was a article in Yahoo Korea bout how Paku Romi said she would keep her Korean name proving that she is still Korean what so ever.

Usually, when they discribe Paku Romi, they say,
"The voice actor of Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist, (some dude) from Gundam (if i spelled it wrong, sorry sad.gif ), and Ren Tao from Shaman King"

If anyone wants to know, this is how you write Edward Elric and Paku Romi in Korean!!

에드워드 엘릭 (Ed)

박로미 (PR)

Also, here is a pic of the Korean version of the manga!
IPB Image

Yes, the FMA Korean title is particualy hard to pronounce...
Blitz
The thing that is, isn't it weird that somehow her last name went from Korean way: Bak to Park (English way) to Paku (Japanese way). Funny how names can change.
If I were to describe Park Romi I would describe her voice actor of Ed Elric (FMA), Temari (Naruto), Hitsugaya (Bleach). Those pop into my head whenever I say Paku Romi.
The Korean way of saying Edward Elric seems to be closer to the English way than the Japanese way. >_<
MasterKris
Well, the name is suppose to pronounce more closely to English since it is an English name...

I really wanted to watch the Korean version of the FMA anime, but all I came up with was a clip with Korean subtitles...
nicey
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Aug 22 2005, 02:13 PM)
I really wanted to watch the Korean version of the FMA anime, but all I came up with was a clip with Korean subtitles...
[snapback]257975[/snapback]

I want to watch the Korean version too! (Mainly for the voices.) I haven't find any so far...
Envious...
I wonder, since Paku Romi, the VA for Ed, is Korean, does that mean the Korean dub would have her as Ed's voice also?

I think this is a definite possiblity, since if you look at the "director's diary" at the end of Vol. 8, it shows Arakawa throwing a baby Ed into the arms of a woman, saying "Please take good care of this worthless kid" wink.gif And next to that woman, it says "Ed's VA, Mrs. 박로미."

If this is true, I want to hear the Korean dub FMA even more.
Blitz
I've been wondering that, too. That'd be cool if Paku Romi did both the Japanese voice and the Korean voice for Ed!
MasterKris
Nope!!
Paku Romi doesn't do Ed's Korean voice. Someone else, a guy.
But she did say she wanted to meet the person who did Ed's Korean voice.
Blitz
Awww...it'd be cool to hear Edo in Korean...
Neko_Nayru
wow....
we are learning korean at school, so when we get our koren pen pals, I'll ask them about FMA...
MasterKris
Make sure they know what Full Metal Alchemist is!! biggrin.gif
Blitz
QUOTE(Neko_Nayru @ Aug 30 2005, 04:44 AM)
wow....
we are learning korean at school, so when we get our koren pen pals, I'll ask them about FMA...
[snapback]268015[/snapback]

You're school has Korean? The schools where I live generally only have Japanese and Chinese as the languages that are from Asia... Korea deserves more respect I say.
MasterKris
You're school has Korean? The schools where I live generally only have Japanese and Chinese as the languages that are from Asia... Korea deserves more respect I say.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KOREA DESERVES MORE RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our school doesn't have ANY Asian language... I WANT TO LEARN JAPANESE!!!!!!!
Blitz
I learned Japanese in elementary school for three years and it hasn't gotten me far. I learned more by watching fansubs! I'm gonna take Japanese in high school, hopefully.
elalquimistafilosofal
QUOTE(Blitz @ Sep 1 2005, 03:57 PM)
I learned Japanese in elementary school for three years and it hasn't gotten me far. I learned more by watching fansubs! I'm gonna take Japanese in high school, hopefully.
[snapback]270265[/snapback]

gua im learning now but its a litle dificult also the kangi escriture its dificult. but if you can i ca too
FMA143
Wa! They have the perfect guides in korean? *cries* I was there before, oh why didn't I look in the "manhwa" section? Why wasn't I a hard core fan at the time?! I hate me dry.gif and yeah, korea loves anime. Has one whole channel devoted to anime from japan like Inuyasha, Conan...some cartoons, but I hate the dubbing. Inuyasha is okay, except for Inuyasha's voice...so I'm afraid of what it will sound like if Korea dubs FMA.

Heh, maybe Romi will dub Ed in Korean (if she knows korean.) biggrin.gif
MasterKris
Wa! They have the perfect guides in korean? *cries* I was there before, oh why didn't I look in the "manhwa" section? Why wasn't I a hard core fan at the time?! I hate me and yeah, korea loves anime. Has one whole channel devoted to anime from japan like Inuyasha, Conan...some cartoons, but I hate the dubbing. Inuyasha is okay, except for Inuyasha's voice...so I'm afraid of what it will sound like if Korea dubs FMA.

Heh, maybe Romi will dub Ed in Korean (if she knows korean.)

It doesn't really matter if u look in the manhwa section cause it's not there. It only has mangwa that are created in Korea, not translated manga.

Oooh... not one but two. I'm pretty sure it was channel 5 and 6... also mabye 11...

Korea dubs animes pretty well, the voices don't suck like the U.S. dubs. Since Korea's dub is pratically the same to subs. Since the voice tones are kinda the same.

Paku Romi does know Korean, she even did many interviews in Korea. But like I said before, she doesn't do Ed's Korean dub voice. Oh! and sorry, I made mistake. It's a woman who does Ed's Korean voice.
These are the voice actors for the Korean dub. (I did my best)

손정아 - 에드워드 엘릭 역 / Jung Ah Son - Edward Elric
윤미나 - 알폰소 엘릭 역 / Mina Yun - Alphonse Elric
정소영 - 윈리 록벨 역 / 그레이시아 역/ Soh Young Jung - Winry Rockbell & Gracia
성완경 - 로이 머스탱 역 / Wahn Gung Song - Roy Mustang
김 일 - 매스 휴즈 역 / Ill kim - Maes Hughes
임주현 - 리자 호크아이 역 / Ju Hyun Iym - Riza Hawkeye
김옥경 - 러스트 역 / Ohk Gung Kim - Lust
홍진욱 - 글러트니 역 / Jin Uk Hong - Gluttony
Envious...
Darn it!

I want to watch the FMA Korean dub!

Waaahh!
Blitz
Wahh! So do I! When I lived in Korea, like the only channels I watched was the ones dedicated to anime. One was called Tooniverse I think.
MasterKris
I despritely want to see the korean dub... I can't find it on the internet.. mabye I should buy the new DVD... but it seems like a waste ph34r.gif
tinlunlau
try checking korean bittorrent sites.
they might have it. i get the cantonese dub version of FMA thru chinese BT forums.
MasterKris
try checking korean bittorrent sites.
they might have it. i get the cantonese dub version of FMA thru chinese BT forums.

But the only problem is, sometimes they are Korean subtitled. Not the dub, and Korean clips require a different player that is available only in Korea. So to watch it, you have to do all sorts of tricks. sad.gif
Blitz
I use GOM player and that's a Korean player so maybe that'll work? Does for me.
MasterKris
Bad news....
The Korean FMA DVD does not have the Korean dub. Only Korean subtitled...
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...on-all/did-7711

Blitz
WTF? o_O
Envious...
Korean version only has Korean subtitle?

Are you sure?

I know some Korean people who (from all indication) seem to confirm that there is a dub...
MasterKris
Korean version only has Korean subtitle?

Are you sure?

I know some Korean people who (from all indication) seem to confirm that there is a dub...

No, no...
I meant that the DVD only had the subtitles. There is a dub, but it's just that the DVD doesn't have the dub. So I mean that getting the DVD to watch the dub is pointless cause it doesn't hve the dub. Back to square one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.