Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupidest Reason for Hating Anime
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Toby-Chan
Okay, this isn't about hating the haters of a genre; I'm personally perfectly cool with people just having different tastes in entertainment, but there are just some justifications that are incredibly lame, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having encountered some... half-baked bashers, right?

I think mostly, people who are anti-anime had already made up their minds about liking it before they even gave it a fighting chance; that's how cynicism usually works. But in their strive for hating, I've heard some pretty dang funny reasons in my day.

Such as:

-Because it's Japanese. (...okaaaay...?)
-Because it's "Chinese" (blink.gif)
-And I quote: "My dad calls it 'Junk TV'."
-"I saw pokemon. I didn't like it.", or "I don't like stuff like Yugioh." (I swear, if I hear this one more time, I'll- I'll... keep my anger to myself!!!)
-Because real people don't have big eyes like that
-And I quote, "How can you stand the noses?"

etc...

Anybody else have some stories/ dumb reasons to add? smile.gif
Carnal Malefactor
"Anime Fans are a bunch of obsessed nerds" [Ah, the old standby. The fans are a bunch of geeks, therefore the medium is worthless. Let's meditate on that one for a bit...]
"The way they put that Japanese humor into everything is dumb" [I admit that Japanese humor is a bit weak {a function of it being such a homogenous society} , but how does this reflect on the medium as a whole]
"The voices sound retarded" [referring to American voiceovers]
"Cartoons are for kids" [Yah... Elfen Lied is definitely a kids show...]
"It's just a bunch of robots fighting each other" [Yup... and giving kids seizures]
"The animation is all stiff" [We've come a long way since Akira...]
Mrs. Edward Elric
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Aug 13 2005, 07:28 PM)
"Anime Fans are a bunch of obsessed nerds" [Ah, the old standby. The fans are a bunch of geeks, therefore the medium is worthless. Let's meditate on that one for a bit...]
[snapback]250889[/snapback]

it just pisses me off the way ppl think like that...(mostly americans....no offense) but really, those ppl just think that real live action shows is much better than animated shows...like hell they would know anything....why dont they watch some REAL anime for a change instead of watching those kiddie shows like pokemon and yu-gi-oh....i mean, i use to like them but that was way long ago, like when i was in 5th grade or something....
someone should knock some sense into those nonanime lovers. If they saw some real anime shows and still didnt like them then i wont blame them....
Carnal Malefactor
The problem is largely that most of the anime that becomes popular stateside really is crap. It wasn't until the last couple of years that the real quality shows have had any exposure in the West, and even with these, the reach is limited and a lot of the quality is lost in the English dubbing.
Slashrose1010
"They don't blink." I don't even notice in any cartoons really if they blink or not. I am not looking at their eyes the whole time.

"Why does that spikey haired guy change his hair colour and have a yellow light shining from him?" Again, like YGO and Pokemon, these are children's cartoons not anime and is generalized.

'The lips don't match the speaking voices' =__= That's because they are dubbed... Go watch some subs.
Carnal Malefactor
To be fair, the lip flap doesn't match the voices in the Japanese versions, either.
Slashrose1010
^Haha, I have noticed that as well tongue.gif but better than the dubs.
Mrs. Edward Elric
"All the characters are asian...weird...they have green hair...."
xiaku
"They have like ginormous eyes. It's not normal."

Oh, Pulease.
hidden__happiness
QUOTE(Toby-Chan)
-"I saw pokemon. I didn't like it.", or "I don't like stuff like Yugioh." (I swear, if I hear this one more time, I'll- I'll... keep my anger to myself!!!)

Oh my god I heard that soo many times too!!!

Something my friend said..
"Isn't anime just like simpsons? If so then I watch anime too. I mean, it's just animation..."
Kakashi
Stupidest reason I have ever heard and the most stupidest out of every post here.

"Because it's gay"
This is all from my only "friend" who luckily has moved far far away:

"Because everyone talk fast and have pitched voices." (Cough... Exel Saga)
"How can you watch this Japanese CRAP!?" (How can you watch this English crap!? ... duh!)

-He ocationally repeats after anime in a gibberish manner
-He thinks that anim. and anime is the same thing. (He thinks "The Simpsons" is anime"

Just a note: He thinks Star Trek and Star Wars is crap just because it happens in space. He hasn't seen five minutes of any star wars film and hasn't even seen a star trek episode.

.... anyone else have stupid "friends"?
Zereena
heres one from a girl i go to school with-

"Whats Fullmeat alshimist? And inuwasha? Isnt that the crappy cartoons that are on around midnight? I dont like those things...They are so stupid."

thats an exact quote. I got so mad at her. The bad thing is shes a friend and i was staying the night. Forced her to watch it tho...
Kihaku
QUOTE(Kakashi @ Aug 14 2005, 01:14 AM)
Stupidest reason I have ever heard and the most stupidest out of every post here.

"Because it's gay"
[snapback]251203[/snapback]

Hmmm.... applies to some.. tongue.gif (which in my opinion is just a good thing..)

The best reasons come from my mother

-it's childish
-it "ruins me" and is a waste of my time (when I could be doing "something else"
-I like it a lot (so if I like it a lot it is bound to be bad tongue.gif) and too obsessed with it

and my Mum has no idea what anime is about, besides the fact that it's Japanese.. and drawn
Radical Alchemist
People allways have dumb reasons.. I personally like Anime better then American shit.

Watch an episode of Spongebob and, even if you've never seen it before, you can pick up on the plot (or lack there of) right away.

But stumble across and episode of Pokemon, (the simplest of all animes) and if you haven't seen it before you'd be totally lost.

The plots are thicker and better... and they don't use gross-out humour which is also good. (I hate grossout humour)
MiyokoChan
Usually it's because it's a "cartoon" and it's "childish"... mad.gif But these are the people that don't like Pixar either...

Also, I find that people a lot of time have an aversion to all things Japanese (as they say this to the Japanese American...it's like blink.gif Thanks). They think that it's some weird, far off place where everyone is insane. (Literally, someone said that on a message board I was on.)

One of my favorites is "I didn't like Princess Mononoke (or whatever), so I don't watch anime." That's like saying, "I didn't like Casablanca, so I don't watch movies made in America."
ScarX
Yeah, but the most people who say such a rubbish even don't know what a Manga/Anime is -.-
But Pokeshit (ok, Pokemon) and all the other "strange" animes (like YuGiOh) destroy the good name of anime ...
But the reasons, why they hate animes, are like bullshit.

=>Ok, I hat Pokemon, but the "pokemons" are really sweet rolleyes.gif
Toby-Chan
Hmm. I have sensed an oddly borderline racist sentiment among some haters. Most often when they call it "Chinese crap". (You wouldn't believe how many people are unable to differentiate between asian countries. A boy in my eighth grade geography class asked "Aren't China and Japan, like, the same country?" *Facepalm*.) Of course providing the reason that "It's Japanese" as a legitimate cause for hating anime, says something about the person. Just what is wrong with being Japanese?

(But then again, I've dealt with more "America is the best country ever, because it's perfect and it's God's country" types of people than I would care to count.)
Slashrose1010
@Toby: Haha, oh lord yes, someone in my class said the same thing about all asian countries being the same thing. But being openly racist like that in my school is a big-no. Of course there are a few and some people who act racist but say it is 'all in good fun', but those who are get shunned upon, though there are hypocrites.

Gah, I am so sick of the American superiority mentallity. Yeah, we are superior because we have all this crap, yet we are generally dumb as a pile of rocks. The whole thing about including God is just a self righteous load. (when they say God, refering to christianity, I am pretty sure that the Jews and Jerusalem are God's chosen people and land, not American christians)

Even more off topicness: Why is the thread entitled Stupidest? Shouldn't it be Most Stupid, or are you trying to accentuate the average American's stupidity tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
Americans are generally the most xenophobic, complacent bunch of dunderheads in the world. Especially those in the "red states". And yah, yah, I know, mocking redneck mentalities is a form of prejudice. That's a load of crap. There's nothing wrong with mocking backward ignorance.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I wouldn't say we are the most xenophobic, there countries much worse than us. Besides we are the great melting pot.

However, that doesn't mean that we are all the most open-minded people. We have our share of rednecks left over from the 1800's it seems.
Carnal Malefactor
American xenophobia is different from European xenophobia or East Asian xenophobia. We can accept other races and ethnicities into our midst with no problem. However, we've also created this mainstream corporatist, consumerist culture that most people in this country subscribe to, regardless of background, where if something doesn't fit into the worldview we've been raised into, it's automatically denigrated. It's a generalized cultural xenophobia and ignorance, as opposed to the more ethnically based xenophobia that you'd see elsewhere in the world, and sadly, we're much more likely to subscribe to our form than they are to theirs.
We're a lot less open to subcultural/countercultural ideas, until they become mainstream.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I guess living in California which has alot of different races has made me blind to most of the American xenophobia. Sure we have our rednecks who want everybody who's non-white to go home. Even the native american but I digress.

Yes, the American consumerist culture society is xenophobic as well as sexist unfortunately. I've seen how people will adopt trends from other countries such as when wearing Indian binis were the fashion or various buddhist items. But the people wearing them have no idea what they mean.
Gato Gurl914
my dad used to be quite the hater. my mom tries to understand but i usually lose her. my dad came around after i showed him some FMA. he finnally accepted that it wasn't just for children. wich made me happy.

please dont bash yu-gi-oh! espesially if you havent read the manga or seen uncut eppisodes. its very good outside of censorship.

i'll admit that i find the networks milking pokemon for whatever its worth, but all you have to do is keep in mind how awesome it was at the beggining. wink.gif

i havent encountered any racists, but i have had my share of 'isn't that stuff for like, 3 year olds?' *faceplant* and those reality shows that are nothing but bleeps and revealing clothing are any better? i had a few friends in school who i could talk to about anime and anime guys i thought were hot. and if anyone heard me (outside the circle) theyd be like 'how can you like someone animated? 2-d? fake?' this annoyed me. how is it acceptable for someone to crush on celebrities 2x older than yourself but if you like a hott anime guy the same age as you, you're suddenly 'weird'. oh well. theres my rant of the day.
Rave
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Aug 13 2005, 06:43 PM)
-"I saw pokemon.  I didn't like it.", or "I don't like stuff like Yugioh."
[snapback]250848[/snapback]

I hear that a lot...
Fayt
I don't like it when the manga is better and they ruin the manga with the anime.
Luckyalchemy27
I hear "Because it's Japanese and Japanese stuff is stupid", etc., quite a lot. So what if it's Japanese? At least the Japanese crap is better than the American crap. And, of course, most people that don't like anime that I've talked to have never seen a decent one. At least watch a few before you go bashing it.

Heh heh. This doesn't have much to do with the subject, but I'm allowed to make fun of rednecks because I come from a family full of 'em. biggrin.gif
the_lightning_alchemist10
everyday I go to school I just gotta hear from someone "why do you like that Japanese crap?" or "Why do you read mangos?"It so pisses me off!!!! Then I start raising my voice saying "it's MANGA!" It's true about the whole Pokemon thing too. These ppl wouldn't know a good anime if it walked up and offered one million dollars!!! The worst part is though almost my entire family hate manga! So I hear that every time I see them!!! Also, my only family that does like it, live in a different country!!! GRRR!!! I'm done, for now.
hidden__happiness
My mom knows what anime is. ^^
She's not interested in it but she knows Fullmetal Alchemist and InuYasha(mostly because we ask her to buy it for us in China when she goes there..)

Some of my friends think I'm wierd because I like international songs and like reading manga and watching anime.
And one of my friends say...
I don't want anime because they sound funny, and it's not even interesting.

..... god I wanted to strangle her, but I resisted... somehow....
Jen_Elric
My mother says she doesn't understand why I like anime or manga. I won't force her to watch or read. But it's hard to get her to understand WHY I like it so much! She also told me I can't keep "collecting those books" or "buying those movies" (AKA Manga and anime). Well, I'm 23. I think I can.
I have never heard from anyone that they didn't like anime cuz, "it was from Japan". That's so racist! Plus, I don't care what other people think. It's my life, and I'll like what I want to like. tongue.gif
Aleclom
Yeah, almost everyone's heard the Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh! excuse. And people also say "How can you like that? It's in a different language." Here's one conversation I've had:

Me: "Yeah, I like anime. Manga too."
Idiot: "I don't, Dragonball Z is stupid"
Me: blink.gif

Apparently Dragonball Z's their image of what anime is. Which is not cool.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
sad.gif Please don't diss Yu-Gi-Oh!. The subs alot better as well as the original first season and the manga.

The worst reason from an anime-hater:
"Why do like that junk? Are you trying to be a wannabe Japanese?"

So I'm Mexican... and I like anime/manga. Big Deal dry.gif
That guy really pissed me off mad.gif , I started shoving him when he came close to me. I know that wasn't very polite but I think the fangirl/guys got angrier than I did. laugh.gif
Kakashi
My guess is the way how the anime is dubbed in english. Like the some of the anime's we see on TV that are licensed by 4Kids give off bad impressions about the anime. They make the anime look more for 3 years olds and stuff like that yadda yadda yadda.
fullmetal_4eva
my "FRIENDS" say- are those the shows w/people dueling w/stupid cards!?

i reply-no! yugioh isnt anime its a stupid kids show w/a guy who has to yell out wut hes doing for everyone to hear, wtf is w/him go dark night (or wutever the hell he's calling!?) anime is adult animation not for some fricken 5 yr olds!

(ok so mabe i didnt curse that much but u get the idea) tongue.gif
Glam
Ugh I those people, like this one girl at my school she was like ew I don't like anime cause it's like cartoons and it's for kiddies and stuff. UGHHHH! They steriotype the animes like pokemon and american yu-gi-oh and dragonball Z. They thing ever single anime made is just like that, but its not! /end rant.
*sigh* why are there ppl who steriotype anime like that? And why do I have to come in contact with those bastards? Why?
NarutoFan101
"do you even understand japanese?"
LOL
Actually I don't. HAhahahahahah...wah! wah! wah!
SsleepyAlly
My school don't really know anime but the anime freaks sticks together. Here's one peculiar animation talk:
Me:You like anime?
Dude:oh, yeah I like Simpsons
Me: No, Japanese cartoons.
Dude:DBZ?(except the he said the whole name very slowly) Yeah I like it, it's cool.
Me: Uhh,DBZ is outdated. I was talking about new ones, like FMA, Naruto?
Dude: huh.gif

*sigh* There are more....
Abigail
The one I get all the time is "OMG, you watch cartoons, grow up"
Yeah, grow up... they think that anime is for little children, but I don't think children would understand more complex animes, like SELain for example.
And most people don't have a reason for hating anime. They just do. One girl once asked me to change my display picture because it was an anime character.
(that girl was never seen again o_o and the police is still searching who did it.)
GS4Life
It's not mindless humor........... No one ever says that but then again the ratigs on Adult Swim prove it.

Also it's very stupid when people just say anime sucks, but they give no reason to why they think it's stupid, just rant about it.

Anime hater: OMG anime teh sucks
Me:wha-what is so bad about it?
hater:teh suxs y u like anime u gay fag?
me:yeah I like anime. Tell me what have you seen other than pokemon/DBZ/Yugioh?
hater:Lol u gay u suck go suck a cock
me:wtf
hater:pwn I rule u suck, anime suxs.
me: dry.gif
hater:that's right fag u go screw urself and u're mum caus that's wat anime fans do !!!!!!!!!!!
me:Somebody needs help.......
hater:yea I know u do noob
me:oh the irony.
hater:Anime Sux
It's not mindless humor........... No one ever says that but then again the ratigs on Adult Swim prove it.

Also it's very stupid when people just say anime sucks, but they give no reason to why they think it's stupid, just rant about it.

Anime hater: OMG anime teh sucks
Me:wha-what is so bad about it?
hater:teh suxs y u like anime u gay fag?
me:yeah I like anime. Tell me what have you seen other than pokemon/DBZ/Yugioh?
hater:Lol u gay u suck go suck a cock
me:wtf
hater:pwn I rule u suck, anime suxs.
me:
hater:that's right fag u go screw urself and u're mum caus that's wat anime fans do !!!!!!!!!!!
me:Somebody needs help.......
hater:yea I know u do noob
me:oh the irony.
hater:Anime Sux

Oh, cold but funny. True with my life, but not THAT extreme woth the language.
Kakashi
JUST A FEW DAYS AGO

Me:Hey, you ever see any anime on YTV?

Friend: WHAT THAT SHOW NARATU?!?!(Naruto)It's so bad. I hate all anime anyway it's for kids.

Me:Nah it's pretty good(until episode 80 then starts becoming good again awhile after) and it's Naruto. Na Ru To. And I don't think a kids show would show the kind of violence that most anime's have.

Friend:BUT BUT BUT BUT STILL *waves hands*
Anime-Kat2002
O.K. First off, "Yu-Gi-Oh!" is not a kid show. If you see the first season uncut you will see that it is definatly NOT a kid's show. Yami Yugi kills people and Marik stabs his father to death. Secondly, you have to think it's in America and about a card game, so of course they would direct it more towards little kids because little kids love to play with cards.

We have people (mainly parents) saying that FMA is witchcraft. My friend even bought a shirt that had the Transmutation circle on it just to pezz her mother off (and it did). My friend and I made her mother watch the first episode of FMA (just to hear it straight from Edward's mouth) that it is NOT witchcraft it is a science. After that, my friend's mother understood it more. We even made her read and anime book and she UNDERSTOOD it. Now they are at peace with each other about anime for the most part (hears angels singing).

I have a girl at school that I went on a trip with say stuff about anime. We (mainly me), was watching anime in the hotel room and it was FMA that I was watching. She started saying that it was a little kid show and to turn it off. At the time she said that there was a bunch of blood, guts, and fighting going on and I was like "Ohh yeah, this is definatly a little kids show." sleep.gif She was also talking about how "Spongebob" was a lot cooler (not to diss Spongebob, though, because one of my freinds likes it). Again, not dissing Spongebob, but how in the FRAIL do you have a flipping swimming pool IN THE OCEAN?!?!?! And the pineapple; what's up with that? And for Kami's sake, it's a sponge. You wash dishes with it, and seeing them talk and sing will make children fear doing their chores becaue they're afraid it'll come alive and attack their face.

At least anime makes some more sense. A lot of American cartoons show people getting hurt (for instance, Wil. E. Coyote <SP?> falling off of a cliff while chasing the Roadrunner and Elmer Fudd shooting things and they're fine), while in anime it's usually more realistic and it shows the consequences of actions such as that, so in a way it's better than most kid shows because it pretty much teaches people not to do stuff like that because it can kill you.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Anime-Kat2002 @ Oct 9 2005, 11:53 AM) [snapback]297783[/snapback]

O.K. First off, "Yu-Gi-Oh!" is not a kid show. If you see the first season uncut you will see that it is definatly NOT a kid's show. Yami Yugi kills people and Marik stabs his father to death. Secondly, you have to think it's in America and about a card game, so of course they would direct it more towards little kids because little kids love to play with cards.

Okay, for the umpteenth time; Yes, YuGiOh is moderately violent. It is still a kid's show. Yes, yes, Yami no Bakura tears out Pegasus' eyeball and licks the blood off, and all that fun stuff, but children are still it's target audience. Same with other bloody shows such as Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, etcetera. They're all targeted towards children and young teens. The difference there, is that many of these series have a much more universal appeal than most of those targeted towards children in the US, thus attracting a wider audience and gathering more revenue, but most anime and manga is meant to be marketed towards the younger audiences.

I even remember Yuu Watase's authors notes about how people in America percieve anime. "In America, they seem to think anime is for adults. Saying things like, 'But there's violence and girls have big breasts.' I think they were surprised when I said in my interview that in Japan, anime is still for kids."

But later she also said she'd been getting a lot of letters saying, "Not only things like; 'My older brother likes to read it too," but, 'My mom likes to read it too.' These are some progressive times we're living in." laugh.gif

There are only a few anime series I can think of that are predominantly targeted to adults. Noir, most of ABe's works (SE Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, etc.), Ghost in the Shell, and of course, all Hentai, to name a few.
Sheska
Ahh, how I can relate to this. The general population of my camp does not like anime or manga or hasn't even heard of it. School's a different story, there are a nice population of anime/manga fans.

But if I come across an anime hater it's usually the usual, blunt, "Because it's gay" as said a few pages back or something of that nature, or they bring in old old kid anime that has been horribly dubbed to fit the young American minds . dry.gif Also, said a through out the thread.
The Black Blood Alchemist
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 9 2005, 06:06 PM) [snapback]297833[/snapback]

There are only a few anime series I can think of that are predominantly targeted to adults. Noir, most of ABe's works (SE Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, etc.), Ghost in the Shell, and of course, all Hentai, to name a few.

Yeah, the movie "Kite" was DEFINITELY for older folks. I don't get squeamish easily, but the violence in that movie sorta disturbed me. And dog gam, the sex scene---I had my eyes closed and headphones on (it was at an anime club meeting and I've never gone back since a little after this incident), so I didn't see it, but just hearing the noises still made me almost cry; it was like porn from what my friends told me. X_X It was good animation from what I did see, though...

I get a lot of, "Anime's gay" from people, too (usually from immature *censored*moots who just wanna start something, i.e. proving their idiocy of having a closed mind). How could they say that if they haven't even SEEN it, especially the good stuff? I'm sure that if they actually sat down and watched it they'd change their tune. -_^ +
Anime-Kat2002
QUOTE(The Black Blood Alchemist @ Oct 9 2005, 09:38 PM) [snapback]297933[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Oct 9 2005, 06:06 PM) [snapback]297833[/snapback]

I get a lot of, "Anime's gay" from people, too (usually from immature *censored*moots who just wanna start something, i.e. proving their idiocy of having a closed mind). How could they say that if they haven't even SEEN it, especially the good stuff? I'm sure that if they actually sat down and watched it they'd change their tune. -_^ +

I get that a lot. If they would just sit down and watch it they may actually like it. Instead of believing what they hear other people say about it they should watch it (the good stuff) and form their own opinion.
I get that a lot. If they would just sit down and watch it they may actually like it. Instead of believing what they hear other people say about it they should watch it (the good stuff) and form their own opinion.

Actually if you do that it works!!!! That's how I got my friend into watching Inu Yasha. I gave her a DVD and forced her to watch it!!! She had no idea about any anime (except Sailor Moon but that was quite a while ago), and now she loves it!!!!!! 3 points for the anime fangirl!!! yay!!!! now to get to my other friends...and I'm off *runs off with a backpack full of random anime crap she found*
GS4Life
I have a friend who started to watch FMA and liked it, then when the second season starts he makes fun of it cause it's on at 11:30pm(I was very perplexed myself) Apparently he did not understand that CN cannot show Blood/gore, sexual content, language in the daytime another guy used Southpark and some violent daytime shows as an argumnt but he didn't quite get the point. Yeah uh hu. Not the stupidest but definetily the weirdist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.