QUOTE(Falling_Man @ May 23 2005, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE(xrninja @ May 23 2005, 04:12 AM)
- went to my friend's senior recital today. i knew he was good, since he's considered to be one of the top high school violinists in california, but listening to him is a whole other story.
wow. i could never be a violinist, my fingers can't move that fast...and i can't play in a recital for two hours without any sheet music. yuu is awesome.
And how old is your friend? Was that piece improv, memorized or practiced over and over? Regardless, what really hit me was "without any sheet music." I couldn't last a minute without sheet music in concert band on a piece I didn't know so well...
18. let's see....he played Guiseppe Tartini's "Sonata in G minor, 'Devil's Trill,'" Brahm's "Scherzo," Eugene Ysaye's "Sonata No. 2," Shostakovich's "Trio No. 2 (for violin, cello, and piano)," Ernest Bloch's "Baal Shem," and Henryk Wieniawski's "Scherzo-Tarantella." he used sheet music only for the Shostakovich piece, since that piece was a trio. but he's been playing since he was 4, and he practices for at least three hours every day.
so i guess it's all memorized just through all that practice.
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ May 23 2005, 01:21 PM)
@Ninja: Is your violinist friend going pro? Be sure to get his autograph before then. It's a lot cheaper that way.
hmm, i'm not sure. i think he's either planning to major in bio and minor in music at Harvard next year, or double major. we're going to trade autographs.
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ May 23 2005, 10:16 AM)
Which shirt are you looking for?
there's this really nice black t-shirt with ed's upper body and his name written kind of large in a white serif font that i really would like to find. the al counterpart to that one is pretty nice too. there are also some really cute ones with outlines of either chibi ed, al, or roy too.
i kind of doubt fanime will have them, though, and i won't be going until sunday so if they had them, they'd probably sell out by then. T_T
QUOTE(mongooseboi @ May 23 2005, 02:39 PM)
damn it i only got a 680 on my math 2 c >.<
you're only a sophomore, you have plenty of time! and a 680's really not bad as it is. i did really horribly on the 2C when i took it....i wish 2C was identical to the old SAT I math, the old SAT I math was so wonderfully easy...
- huhh...i thought i didn't receive any awards or scholarships and wouldn't be one of the people honored at Senior Awards Night, but i just got a card saying i am. for what, i wonder? the only things at school i sort of excel in are art, journalism, japanese, and i guess my community service work for KEY Club. well, it's weird, but nice.
- saaad, we learned our last bunpo point in japanese today, "-saseru." graduation looms nearer and nearer...
- hmm, so i've officially been commisionned to paint a mural on a classroom wall at school, on top of another commission i had from my japanese teacher for a quilt design. i'm not quite sure where to start for either.
- had to watch my vacationing cousin's rowdy little shih tzu this afternoon, Cosmo (or "Momo"). my sister bought him a gourmet squirrel-shaped doggy cookie from Berkeley when she went up there today, and we fed him some, but we found out that it was a peanut butter cookie and Momo's allergic to peanut butter or something? argh, i'd be very grateful if he didn't keel over and die. my cousin and cousin-in-law would murder us. (stupid little runt was trying to squash me to get at the cookie while i picked out tangled burrs in his paws, too....)
- my prom date and i are both trying to shape up before prom this saturday, so i've been doing sit-ups since Momo left and my sister's going to force me to do her Pilates video soon. hopefully my stomach flab will recede some.