Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remakes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Where's the rest of the post? huh.gif
Carnal Malefactor
You know, I'm not sure. I did say that I think they're all f***ing worthless, though...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Even thought there is no post I can agree. 99.9% are worthless. Proof again that Hollywood has run out of orginal ideas. At least big budget Hollywood has there's still pleanty of good indie films out there.
foolmetal alchemist
It seems that over half of the movies that entered theaters this year were remakes. Can't anyone think up an original story?
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(foolmetal alchemist @ Aug 11 2005, 04:10 PM)
It seems that over half of the movies that entered theaters this year were remakes. Can't anyone think up an original story?
[snapback]248725[/snapback]

Not anymore or they are from books.
Celestial Shadow
It seems the same way for video games...For lack of originality, people choose not to try anything new, and go with the supposedly safe route, which is basically just feeding off the money that someone else's idea made.

Oh, and on top of that, they usually suck too.
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 11 2005, 05:16 PM)
It seems the same way for video games...For lack of originality, people choose not to try anything new, and go with the supposedly safe route, which is basically just feeding off the money that someone else's idea made.

Oh, and on top of that, they usually suck too.
[snapback]248732[/snapback]

Did I mention that I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Did I mention that it sucked? Because it did and I hope no one will go waste their money on that sad excuse for a movie!
Carnal Malefactor
Does anyone even enjoy Tim Burton's movies anymore?

It's like, 'okay, we get it, you're WHIMSICAL. Get over yourself!'
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Aug 11 2005, 06:13 PM)
Did I mention that I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Did I mention that it sucked? Because it did and I hope no one will go waste their money on that sad excuse for a movie!
[snapback]248790[/snapback]

I heard it was good (Dunno how though)...My friend just went and saw it last night. I'll have to ask her when she gets on later then biggrin.gif

@Bacon- I dunno...I haven't really since The Nightmare Before Christmas laugh.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Aug 11 2005, 03:13 PM)

[snapback]248792[/snapback]

I like some of Tim Burtons work. I have to say that I did lose some respect for him after he re-made Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Usually when directors start re-making classics it means their ego is starting to get out of hand.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Aug 11 2005, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Aug 11 2005, 03:13 PM)

[snapback]248792[/snapback]

I like some of Tim Burtons work. I have to say that I did lose some respect for him after he re-made Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Usually when directors start re-making classics it means their ego is starting to get out of hand.
[snapback]248797[/snapback]

I agree.

And also, someone needs to put Steven Spielberg out of his misery.
Celestial Shadow
His movies bore me...
foolmetal alchemist
I wouldn't say Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was horrible, but I do think it could have been alot better. I am looking forward to Corpse Bride. It seems like the closest thing that could be made to The Nightmare Before Christmas without it being a sequal.
Celestial Shadow
That sounds awesome biggrin.gif Never heard about it before now though I think.
Ronaldo Rodregez
Just so everyone knows, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasn't suposed to be a remake of Willy Wonka. It was suposed to be off the book. If it makes a difference. I still want to see it.

Remakes.. blahblahblah.... suck... blahblahblah.
Aleclom
I can't even remember what the last original movie I saw was. All of the movies this year suck.
Carnal Malefactor
Now, now... Batman Begins was great.
phoenix dying
The longest yard was very funny
Aleclom
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Aug 12 2005, 12:05 PM)
[snapback]249355[/snapback]

ohmy.gif I can't believe I forgot that! Okay, I retract my previous statement. Most of the movies this year sucked.
Packy
The Hills Have Eyes was kinda okay, but I didn't really understand it that much... Oh, and a remake of a game that was pretty good is Resident Evil 1 for the Gamecube, and Conker... Though RE remake harder to figure out then the old one >_<
22-250
There can be a good remake, once in a blue moon, but they mostly suck.
Chiyo
Well, in the case of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory I do think it was better then Willy Wonka, but as Ronaldo Rodregez stated it wasn't trying to be a remake. It was a better adaptation of the book.

I haven't seen it, not sure they are going to do it...but I dread the U.S remake of Battle Royal.
ed_rocks_my_skull
Did anyone see the new Poseidon?? THAT remake did not suck. (Frankly, the wave scared me to death...)
Charlie and the Chocolate Facotory was, okay, i guess, yet it was darker than the original.
Chiyo
QUOTE(ed_rocks_my_skull @ Aug 9 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]430488[/snapback]

Did anyone see the new Poseidon?? THAT remake did not suck. (Frankly, the wave scared me to death...)
Charlie and the Chocolate Facotory was, okay, i guess, yet it was darker than the original.

I heard it did...big time.

I'm glad it was darker, if you don't think Roal Dahl is dark you don't understand his books.
Popogeejo
I thought the first one was dark in a more subtle way. The way Wonka genuinly didn't care about what was happening to the kids and his monolouge on the boat were pretty dark.
Vash_the_Gunslinger
Some remakes are needed for movies. Others aren't. Like King Kong for instance. I liked to see a smoother version compared to the metal Kong they used in the original version in 1933, but they really didn't have to remake it.
Tombow
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Aug 12 2005, 01:05 PM) [snapback]249355[/snapback]

I agree. That's one of the only few examples I can think of as good remakes. smile.gif
I just watched one of old Zatoich series movies tonight.
The other night I watched the newer remake by Takeshi.
It was Bleh!! Such a lightweight!! rolleyes.gif
Popogeejo
Some remakes are remakes of remakes if you follow me.
Take A bugs life, thas a remake of The magificent seven which is intern a remake of Seven Samurai. All very good films of their respective genre.
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Aug 16 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]433452[/snapback]

Some remakes are remakes of remakes if you follow me.
Take A bugs life, thas a remake of The magificent seven which is intern a remake of Seven Samurai. All very good films of their respective genre.

don't forget the Samurai Seven anime >_>
Chiyo
Not sure its out here, but has anyone seen Wicker Man yet? Is it a remake of the original or have they just stolen to concept? Either way nothing will top Christopher Lee
Full Metal97
dry.gif its a terrible movie
Chiyo
And joy of joys it HAS been changed so its now set in America-land...how bloody predictable. God forbid they would ever set it in the UK, same for War of the Worlds.
joanne45
I watched The Departed (it's based on the HK film Infernal Affairs), badass brutal movie like the original.
asunder
QUOTE(joanne45 @ Nov 7 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]470886[/snapback]
I watched The Departed (it's based on the HK film Infernal Affairs), badass brutal movie like the original.

yeah it was pretty good. a lot of great american actors too.

I still prefer the original though :S
joanne45
QUOTE(asunder @ Nov 6 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]470888[/snapback]
QUOTE(joanne45 @ Nov 7 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]470886[/snapback]

yeah it was pretty good. a lot of great american actors too.

I still prefer the original though :S

They're hellava good especially Jack Nicholson and he'll an Oscar caliber performance as well as the movie as Best Picture.
badsymbiote
Other than "Dawn of the Dead", I can't really say I care for remakes. I'm sure there is at least one or two more I've liked, but I can't think of any.
I would like to see a remake of a great older movie, like "The 10 Commandments" or "Tora! Tora! Tora!" if they could do it right.
Razzy
Remakes are really bad most of the time. The only remake I like is (Tim Burton)"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"... (Does that count as a remake? huh.gif )
sweety_pie
^"Charlie and the Chocolate factory" is (in my oppinion) Tim Burtons' worst movie ever.

I like "Dawn of The Dead", and "The Omen" (although the original was better.)

Is Posieden a remake?
Razzy
Ya, Poseidon is a remake. I saw it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, either.

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That was the only remake I've seen that I think is better than the original.
Chiyo
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Nov 17 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]474623[/snapback]
^"Charlie and the Chocolate factory" is (in my oppinion) Tim Burtons' worst movie ever.

Please say that means you haven't seen Planet of the Apes?

Anyway Burton stuck to the ideas of the book far batter than the Willy Wonka version. In terms of an adaptation of the book its better.
sweety_pie
I do not think I have seen the entire "Planet of the Apes" movie. I started to watch it, ...but I just could not watch all of it.
GREEDisGOOD
All remakes are are ways for the studios to make more money on a movie that was lready made.
Chiyo
^ yes....but can they be any good is the question.
GREEDisGOOD
You've got me there. Remakes are usually always worse because you've already seen the movie before. You know what's going to happen. That takes out a great deal of the impact of a movie. Plus it's boring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.