Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mary-sue Test
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ani-chan x3
so does turning you charater into a homunculus count as an oc?
haganenohono
I think there's something wrong with this test. Don't get me wrong, it makes many valid points, and several of the things it mentions are indicators for Mary Sues, but I don't think it is an absolute indicator as it doesn't allow for original plot development in a fanfic. I took canon Ed and put him to the test-- he got an 85. Check it out that way yourself.

As for my own charrie, she got a 65. But I'm not sure if she would classify, as she only occassionally comes into an active part in the story. In fact, she more works as a catalyst than anything else, I believe. So though she ranks high, does that make her a Mary Sue?
Chiyo
^There has been debates about Ed being a Mary-Sue himself...however we are talking about O.C's because they usually have something to do with the main character. Ed IS the main character, he can't be like himself.

Ani - the main problem with creating a Homonculus is there are only 7 sins...no matter what you name an eighth it'll just be a different word for one of the true sins.
Astria
That only works for the anime homunculi, and even then only barely.

Dante named them after the sins, but that doesn't mean that someone else performing human transmutation would create 'a Sin', nor even that there can only be seven homunculi at once. The anime homunculi acted the way they did because they were under the influence of the red stones, and Dante's plans. It is quite possible (and *correct in canon*) that with the right resources (an abundance of red water/stone) a person mad enough to try to resurrect someone would end up with a homunculus. No real memories, no sense of identity, and certainly no in-built 'sinfulness' (why did that end up fanon, why?). It would be, as Wrath puts it, a creature with a mind and body of its own, but no soul. Which is why the idea is so grotesquely brilliant.

I normally can't stand fics with 'eighth sins', because they misunderstand what homunculi were actually supposed to be. We're never told for certain that they were the 'embodiment of sin', but too few writers exploit this loop hole. And too few seem to realise that 'Vanity' and 'Pride' are the same darn thing. dry.gif

As far as the manga goes, the creation of homunculi has so far only come down to the actions one person (Father). So the possibility of additional homunculi, especially created by anyone else is...questionable.

@haganenohono - um, sorry, but the very fact that your character acts as a catalyst in the story might condemn her to sue-dom. If she's got a high score, then the vast majority of readers are likely to dismiss her as a Sue. Which is a shame for the writers who've bothered to do the test in the first place. I think these tests give OCs a very bad name. If you know the sort of character you're dealing with (Sue or not), then just go with it if that's what you want to do.

And yes, I think Ed does count as a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. This is often the case with central characters.
Chiyo
^ well yes, I was refferring to the character she had named which clearly sounded like an attempt at another 'sin'. But its true that people rarely write about homonculus that don't have a sin name
Little Washu
I re-took the test and changed my character a bit and got a................................ 54!!!!! I went from a 203 to 54, now that's weird. All I did was decide to not name her after myself, (My account name on Fanfiction.net) She's gone from Cloud Arcanine to Shinobu Testunoske. I very much like the sound of that ^^. And one of the best asspects of that is, Kakashi is still hers (mine). Oh yeah, and in a Fruits Basket story, if you kill a Sohma from the zodiac and replace them with your own chacter, does that count as an oc? Or is just the same as the homunculus thing???
Chiyo
an OC is a character you created, so yes it is an OC. Even if people make their own homonculus its still and OC
Astria
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jan 21 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]496162[/snapback]
^ well yes, I was refferring to the character she had named which clearly sounded like an attempt at another 'sin'. But its true that people rarely write about homonculus that don't have a sin name

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that because there are only seven sins, there can only be seven homunculi. I shouldn't have ranted at you. Apologies.
Becca-chan
Hmm.. a character of mine got a 31 in the ' All characters' section O.o
Well I'm not going to change her..even if she's close to being a Mary.. my little Quartina's been developing for 6 years now..I'm not about to remodel her just because of what some inaccurate test says.

Supposedly half of the actual characters in anime's we adore turn out to be Mary-Sues or Gary-Stues anyway O_o; maybe we should run some of the FMA characters through that section and see what comes up.

:: goes to run Tucker through the gauntlet:: I'll post the result I got for him.

Edited - Okay.. Shou Tucker got a 32 in the ' All characters' section.. that would make him a border-line Sue.. or e-heh a border-line Stu as it were XD;
Little Washu
Becca-chan~ That's the spirit! Destroy the test! *forms a riot* Yahhhhh!
Shinobu Tetsunoske is now my official property. Hahahaha. So is Kaede Sohma. Hmmm. Hey, did anyone besides me notice that in Fruits Basket, no one is the Rooster? I'm a dog so I got Shigure (the best character!) but who will my friend Jenny get? So confuzzleing........
Becca-chan
Little_Washu - Exactly! laugh.gif I'll fetch the flame torches for everyone
That test is going down! XD

Starrieidgirl
Hmmmm...burning the test down? Perhaps it maybe best to not to do that. How about another course of action?

What if we just did not take it? It's purely a voluntary thing to do. I did it, got a crappy score, figured that was inevitable. So now I'm faced with a decision. "To re-vamp or to not re-vamp."

I'll choose to be optomistic and iron out a few kinks about my OC, but she will def. be a "mary-sue." So SUE me!

If you have a "mary/gary-sue" fict, PM me and I'll read it. As long as it hooks me, it will not matter how "sueish" it is. We all must start somewhere if we want to get better.

Hugs,
Starrie
Becca-chan
I was just joking about burning the test down ^^; I could never really do that.. for more than one reason.

Eitherway, I'm not going to revamp my character ( she got a fairly low score but it's at what could be known as a border-line Sue)

- Edit -

So let's see what the test said about my characters..

Quartina - 31 ( she was my first character though..so that's probably why she got that score)

Samuel Hunton - 17 ( which is hilarious to me.. since I made him long before I even watched FMA or knew who Shou Tucker was..and Sammy boy is more or less just like him, both on appearance, though with some variations, and for the fact that he experimented on his own daughter.. O.O; although his personality is slightly different to Shou's)

Lucia Stickwell - 7

Pete - 3
Lost Alchemist
137. WHAT!!!!
quiddityofquid
My character got a 40-50 (I did it twice, and swiched a couple one way or the other after actually reading the rules...)
She definately needs revamping I guess... A couple of the points dont seem like they matter that much though. Like being the same gender as the author; it's one of the other, and you can't always write about the one! It does not make the charater Mary-sueish.

On the other hand, I just did one for the other character of the same story and got a 23. I think it's much easier to get Mary-sue female characters on this test than male ones...
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
I did the Mary-Sue test for one of my OCs, and it was far and away a Mary Sue, which made me quite depressed - but then I went through and did it for Ed, and he's a Mary Sue as well, and his score was only a tad lower than my OCs, so I guess I'm fine, perspectively speaking. smile.gif

EDIT: Oooh, we're burning the Mary Sue test? Bring it on!!!! laugh.gif Actually, given that it's on the internet, maybe not (I value my computer far too much...)

But here's the fic that I was talking about, how the OC's score was only a little higher than Ed's... It's a cross-over fic, but I did that in order to utilize a "loop-hole" later in the story... It's still good, though.
Carnal Malefactor
And that, my friends, is why I only write stories in which all the main characters are drug addicts/dealers, sexual predators, manipulative teenage sluts, mafiosos, corrupt politicians, fallen priests or any other combination of depravities.

I keeps it real, y0
Tombow
Pinned this on experimental bases. See if this thread might/ might not benefits the forum. ^^
ed_drink_your_milk
QUOTE(Abstruse Eulogy)
And that, my friends, is why I only write stories in which all the main characters are drug addicts/dealers, sexual predators, manipulative teenage sluts, mafiosos, corrupt politicians, fallen priests or any other combination of depravities.

I keeps it real, y0

laugh.gif My character is a middle-aged mental child abuser/drug dealer with no real talents but a sick mind and a big mouth and he still got a 23.
Sleeping Forest
A 5. I think I'd kill myself as well as my OC if I had scored above a 10.
PaperGhost
I got 103 ._____. for a character I use in a crossover ... I should go take the test again...

ETA:
Nope got the same thing...

Man I'm creator of a Mary-sue. -cries in corner- sad.gif

<Merged the posts. ^^ 04/08/07 ~Toombow>
Popogeejo
Please use the button instead of double posting please smile.gif
PaperGhost
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Apr 9 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]527608[/snapback]
Please use the button instead of double posting please smile.gif

I'll remember that next time happy.gif
Popogeejo
Was bored. Made up some character and scored and 8. Decided to spice him and scored....13!

OMG lyk this test is rigged! >:(
Reta McClain
Oh yeah, Elisa got only 14! I'm SO happy biggrin.gif
Envy-chan
Kaori got a 30. That's quite understandable, though. She's quite a bit like Bella
Swann from Stephanie Meyer's series.
Amethyst Sunset
Regine Mustang (Roy's oldest sister) - 15. Her personality does need a bit of spicing up, as she seems to be the typical big sis.

Victoria (half of the Mustang twins, two more of Roy's older sisters) - 13

Elizabeth (see above) - 12

Then again, I haven't been writing much about them...
Funderful
I tested my trio of characters from an original story.

Edward Kane is a 5.
Guilliame LeBlanc is a 7.
Beana is 11.

None of you have the sweetest clue who the hell any of them are, but I'd have to say, I scored relatively well. Hurrah!

Artixte
I stand by what I said before,totally inaccurate test.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(XxWanderfullPursonxX @ Aug 6 2007, 08:02 PM) *
BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

It's not broken, you just failed the test.

Anyone who complains about this test without good citations or reasons simply can't deal with the fact they made a mary-sue.
Artixte
I'm not the one complaining,I'm just saying what I think.As simple as that. mellow.gif
Ruu
Hmmmm... This isn't right. I definitely skipped something... My character only got a 21 and I was so sure she was a Mary-Sue. Hmmm... *goes back to take the test again and add some stuff*

Hmmm... When it says 'Earth Citizen transported to another Time/World,' would it still count if three people did that? ohmy.gif

><
Alchemical
I was expecting my character, Charlie, to get a higher number than 22... Oh well. smile.gif
Anomia Grey
Oh man, I see people whose characters have uber transmutation circles and awesome battle skills with lower scores than my poor nerdy old Henry. All right all right, being Ed's kid doesn't exactly lower the score, nor do good looks strongly contrasting with the general automail geekness, nor does a quite unjustifiable sociability for someone who supposedly spends most of his time locked up in the attic revolutionising cables... right.*headdesks* I'll just go back to the manga chapter discussion, where you're kinda expected to narratively run amiss T_T

By the way, thank you everybody who ran Ed through the test, I was cursing the poor chibi all the way through the weapons section. And for anyone whose canon-family-related-OC got less than 25, the tea/coffee/beer is on me.
AngelHunteress16
wow!! scary test!! my OC for my first FMA char (which I'm writing now) has a 21, then my OC char for Stargate:Atlantis fanfic got a 32! Gah!! I thought she was more realistic!! Oh, well. My original people from a script I'm writing got a 26, and 41!!! :cries:

Oh well, but can anyone really say that they're fav. char from a TV show/anime/manga/video game/book/etc. isn't a Mary-Sue as well?? They're not perfect!
WeiS Blitz
I tested Chaos and got a 20. Dark got a 20, too.

Metal got a 14. ^__^
Little Washu
I took it again and got a 3. I'm soooo boring =w=.
Becca-chan
Hehe, I just took the Mary-Sue test for Jacob and Emily Tucker ( those who have read my fanfic Alternative Choice will know who they are; Shou Tucker's parents)

For Shou's fan-created father...I ran him through the test answering as honestly as possible and Jacob got a 14! - The anti-Sue...or rather Stu ^^;
Shou's fan-created mother was ran through the test too and Emily got a 17.
Precis
Well~ I tested my OC and her spirit partner from my YGO!GX fic, and they got 23 and 11, respectively.
Funny, I seriously thought they'd score a lot higher, like at least 30+. Especially the girl. O_o
Summerlover01
Well I tested my OC for an original fiction and she got a 15. The thing is while I think this test is a good idea, I feel as though it might not be completely accurate. I mean seriously, who would honestly make a character mentally retarded with absolutely nothing to make up for it? And who would honestly give there character a fear that they could never overcome? That just doesn't make sense in my opinion.
Sal_san
In my opinion, this test only HINTS if your character is a Sue or not. It all comes down to the way you write and develop your character... the test only shows that your character might be a Sue, depending on how you wrote him/her.

On a side note, I got a 7. XD
lunneth
i got 54 and all im gonna say is
**** u.
alot of the characters in the story are amazingly powerful. what about my oc. suddenly the world is spinning out of control. i want people to please give me a description of their character and say how they got the score they did.
i mean wth this test is rubbish. it dosent even have all the questions you need on the test.
c'mon dude. i swear.
however, my second character (a main role in my manga) had a score of 47.
how i ask myself can this quiz be correct. it can't cause it is just a piece of software, not ahuman brain. when doing the quiz for own charas i suggest just don't cause the questions won't correspond with the story or the personality of the charas. i got to say that pissed me off loads.
man thats alot of cursing and angst

fear the mighty blue flick
KenRik
smile.gif) my character got a 36. ^^ well the main character at least. well for me, this test means nothing. ^^ i think... hahah. anyways i don't care what it says besides if your character doesn't have a little perks or so, wouldn't it be boring? But on the other hand, yah sure, I myself hate mary sues since they annoy me to the bone. -.- perfect much? anyways. they'll have to start from something then eventually grow to be someone. character development if you will.

truth is, FMA helped me quite a lot. after watching the series, i really appreciated the development of ed throughout the series. i plan to "base" my character out of him. but not similarly "remake" the guy. smile.gif) that would be nuts. dry.gif besides i love ed, and i won't change him anyway. I'll make my own character and learn from the others around me. (from different animes) and eventually, I'll be able to create a round character( sorry if i used the wrong term) that will hopefully teach a wholly lesson to those who walked with him throughout his journey. ^^ hahah. i'm just hoping i don't remake ed. no seriously. dry.gif

smile.gif) anyways, to all you making your characters, gud luck! and hopefully, i'll be able to read/see less mary sues in fanfics/RPGs smile.gif)
Innocent-malice
I got 0 for my character Catalina...then I retook it and got 9 >>...I made her kinda powerful but shes lacking common sense and shes pouty..

I got 3 for Alexander >> My over protective big brother character >>....

....I think this test is jacked too...I should have gotten like 200 O.o
lunneth
thats wierd. my characters aren't really as powerful as the thing asked. plus when it asked about ugliness or fatness it didn't work. most of the questions ask about what would make it a sue. if a person has alot of power but they're ugly it dose'nt make them any less of a sue. you aren't going to have a main character that many people hate. so looking at it the quiz was made by a person who thinks if the main is a sue then they must be ugly or fat or things like that
Innocent-malice
^yeah its kind of screwed...I thought there where a few questions that were stupid like "if female does your character have to try to be 10x better then the guys in order to be equal" >> um...isn't that usually the case, and for Alexander, "does your character carry sharp objects because they may be useful" dont most or even some men carry some form of a pocket knife? also stuff like "does your character hold an occupation unsuitable for his or her nationality or gender". My characters travel and my world isn't set up to say "a women cant fight" even though I do realize gender inequality in some area's.

In my opinion, a sue is a person that does not deserve the role he or she was given or someone that is impossibly perfect in every way. basically here's my character break down:

Catalina(one in siggy), 15 years old, 4"10, 105 lbs.

Powerful character who is telekinetic and somewhat quick but physically weak. She is good looking and smart, typical red red though. her temper flairs up easily and she is naive, jelous and pouty. She was adopted by Alexander 10 years ago for her powers but they became close, she works as his assistant but is just like a sister.

Alexander, 25 years old, 6"4,210 lbs.

Some phycic ability but mostly depends on strength, works on whatever odd jobs come his way. well rounded and calm for the most part except Cat drives him to his wits end. but hes a womanizer, easily gets discouraged and is a major pessimist...tries to hide most of what he does thats questionable but never works. Only people he truly cares about are his brother and adopted sister.
Popogeejo
^yeah its kind of screwed...I thought there where a few questions that were stupid like "if female does your character have to try to be 10x better then the guys in order to be equal" >> um...isn't that usually the case,

Not really. Certainly not "ten times" by any stretch.

"does your character carry sharp objects because they may be useful" dont most or even some men carry some form of a pocket knife?

Most people who carry pocket knives do so BECAUSE THEY ARE USEFUL. The question is basically asking "Does your character have a bladed weapon just because it looks cool?"

also stuff like "does your character hold an occupation unsuitable for his or her nationality or gender". My characters travel and my world isn't set up to say "a women cant fight" even though I do realize gender inequality in some area's.

Then that would be a "no" answer. You're answering from an in universe perspective.

Powerful character who is telekinetic and somewhat quick but physically weak. She is good looking and smart, typical red red though. her temper flairs up easily and she is naive, jelous and pouty. She was adopted by Alexander 10 years ago for her powers but they became close, she works as his assistant but is just like a sister.

A psychic who is physically weak is a very generic trope. Not necessarily bad but a really over done stereotype. Same goes for the temper.
Alex isn't much better off being a typical "the big guy" with moody overtones. Again, pretty generic.
Innocent-malice
^"Does your character frequently carry knives, daggers, or other little sharp pointy objects concealed within his/her clothing for no other reason than that they might be come in handy?" <-thats was the excact question, it directly states comes in "handy" not "cool," the 10x thing was a but if a exageration but i dont think its hard to get the point. and okay on the last one, I will agree with you there.

as for my characters, yeah they are a bit overdone but meh...My older brother felt the need to tell me all male characters are stoic and entirely unemotional so hes my teddy bear and the girls are supposed to be cutsy and sweet...alot of the time it seems the lead female character is that way too....Im still trying to make them a bit more original and complex but thats the basic rough draft...at least its better than everyone being pefectly sweet and good...
Kari_Neko
I gots a 24,thought it would of been worse *shrugs*
Little Washu
QUOTE (Innocent-malice @ May 4 2009, 06:24 PM) *
at least its better than everyone being pefectly sweet and good...

..alot of the time it seems the lead female character is that way too....

Actually, most characters(female) aren't. There's usually a character that is (usually with a hime style hair cut), i.e. Nodoka (Negima), Hinata (Naruto), Shinobu (Love Hina), ect, but most female leads are "feisty", like Asuna (Negima), Sakura (Naruto) or whatever.

Retaking the test now, and I think I'll get a god score :>

I gots a 24,thought it would of been worse *shrugs*

Would have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.