Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fanfiction Section In The Forum
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Site Support Center > Member Requests and Suggestions
Pages: 1, 2
Omakase Shimasu
<NOTE: This has been done. Please visit our Fanfiction forum. ^^ ~ Board Staff>

A little request/suggestion on behalf of the members craving their FMA fanfics: a fanfiction section. biggrin.gif We only have a gallery where art, avatars and wallpapers can be submitted. How about a section for the site dedicated to FMA-oriented fanfiction? ^__^
ScaR
Yea... that was a good idea... happy.gif
I agree
bryantq
ill consider this, however most fanfictions are adult oriented happy.gif; perhaps a seperate site for this is possible.
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif *Happy~* Thank you! Though I don't really know about adult-oriented/NC-17 fiction. I rather suck at those, so mine are all R, PG-13ish in content. Anywayz, thanks for considering! biggrin.gif *Happy*
bryantq
Alright i put some thought into it, It might be possible to start this section up, however its not going to go very well unless we have a commitment from some fanfiction writers to, well, actually write something for the site.

(Meaning i dont want to open a section only to have it... emtpy.)

I will prep this section, you can expect it ready to go within 2-4 weeks.

This section, along with our new Merchandise section will go through beta testing phases. I will invite the senior members of this forum (say Colonel and above) to test out these pages for us smile.gif

SO, if you want to see this fanfiction section happen, get a bunch of ppl to commit to it and make a little reply smile.gif
Vael
I'd be fully willing to write some fanfiction. Generally I write original works, but this sounds like a good time to test other areas of writing...
Omakase Shimasu
Good ol' Vael~ biggrin.gif Knew I could count on you! And I know Hakai's got FMA stories of her own. I'm sure she won't mind adding her fiction to the section. Same goes for Haroken. happy.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
i would support a fanfiction section cause i sometimes like to read them... ^^
Omakase Shimasu
Thanks, Prinz. happy.gif

One question though: I suppose there will be some requirements with submissions, like with the music videos. Can I ask what those would be? Something like a certain format (HTML. OpenOffice. Wordpad.), or chapter length etc. etc. Or will those be discussed during the beta phases?
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 6 2004, 08:37 PM)
Thanks, Prinz. happy.gif

np^^
bryantq
I can probably allow limited HTML, meaning no flash, no javascript, no wierd stuff smile.gif images, text formatting, etc no problem.

or just plaintext too
Omakase Shimasu
That's great, thanks! Because I don't have Wordpad, Word Document or anything Windows. ^__^ Makes it hard for me to submit something if I don't have that.
hakai-kun
does that mean that you'd have to be a senior member to submit fanfics?
confused dry.gif
tongue.gif
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif You only have to be senior member to particpate in the beta-teasting phases. Everybody's free to submit. If I got that correctly. ^__^;;

OK, one more question and I'll promise it's gonna be the last: guests can submit their fanfiction too, right? It's not member-only? Because I've found more wonderful people willing to submit their fanfiction, but they're not members on the forum.
ScaR
i hope so....

Another question:
What is supposed to be there... just writing or your own drawing of the ppl from fma or just pics from fma?? a little confused :S
or your own manga-wannabe
bryantq
Fanfictions will require users to register. Sorry but this is the only way to keep track of authors posting multiple fanfics.

FANART can be submitted to the gallery. This topic is about fanfictions (stories) that fans write. These, however, can contain images.

Ideally you could submit your fanart to the gallery, and then include it in your fanfiction. (Think of it as free hosting).

Im still working on a way to try to get the user info to be consolidated. I hate how the gallery and the forums have seperate logins, it would kill me to have a third seperate user base for fanfictions. This may happen if i decide to launch a seperate site for these fanfics, im still in the planning stages smile.gif

WHO KNOWs!
Omakase Shimasu
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't have to worry about membership, since they were interested in joining the forum either way. biggrin.gif

Ah, the seperate logins. Yes, they were getting a bit frustrating. <__< So it would be great if you can find a solution to the problem. happy.gif I'm rooting.
Ghost
I fully support the idea of a fanfiction section on this site, as a reader. If I come up with any brilliant ideas of my own I'll be sure to submit, but I don't really have any at the moment - but I do like the idea of a section for it here on this site because so far I like everything else this site has to offer. Welcoming while still discerning, friendly yet stern about its rules, which are fair in the first place.
This is the kind of attitude that makes for a good fanfiction environment, so cool. Go for it, and good luck all 'round.
EditDeath
I said it yesterday in the character discussion, and I'll say it again here. After the last episode has been shown, I'll at least try to write some fanfiction. I was going to submit the works to fanfiction.net, but with this opening up here I think I'll try to submit it both places.

In other words, put me down as a definite maybe. biggrin.gif
Ghost
Yeah same here. I don't write nuthin 'til I've seen the whole series. and currently I only have access up to ep 40 or so. Maybe 39...can't remember.

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
Omakase Shimasu
Yup, that's ep. 40 alright.
Ghost
Yeah I was thinking that myself actually.
EditDeath
*nods* That certainly makes sense. He really did look like him, after all.
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(EditDeath @ Oct 2 2004, 12:31 AM)
In other words, put me down as a definite maybe.  biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Well, "definite maybe". Come up with any ideas yet? tongue.gif
EditDeath
Just a few thoughts here and there. One in particular I'm looking at is a quote used in the "Monster" manga.

Then I saw one beast come out of the ocean. It had 10 horns and 7 heads, each horn having a crown, and each head having a name in contempt of God... To have the power to give to the beast, the dragon was worshipped by all people. The people worshipped the beast as well, and said, "Who can become like this beast? Who can oppose this beast and fight him?"

~Johannes' Apocalypse, ch. 13, 1-4

I need to check what this is,exactly, but I'm thinking that the beast mentioned is what Envy will have the power to become once he's the last homunculus alive.

Also, I have the thought that Gluttony and Dante are still alive, just...... in a very unique state.
Omakase Shimasu
Aaah, something like Envy embodying the 7 sins (the beast's 7 heads). That's a pretty bad mental image, btw. Something with multiple heads always creeped me out. ph34r.gif

Gluttony and Dante get revived. biggrin.gif Well, this doesn't look good. Now you've got me excited about a story you haven't thought out yet!
EditDeath
*bows* I aim to please!
Ghost
*weeps*

I'm just gonna stop coming to the forums 'til I've seen the whole series...

I'm up to episode 42 now. Hopefully in a few days I'll be up to 50.

*continues to weep*

...the spoilers...*curled up, wide-eyed, trembling in the corner*...the spoilers...
Omakase Shimasu
Don't leave! I haven't seen the last eps either, but that doesn't stop me from showing up (24/7). smile.gif You're a nice contributor like all the others. I'd miss you.
Ghost
I will now peform a fancy dance. I call it: "I just finished the series."
Woo hoo. Wa ha. Wa hoo-ho-hoo ha-ha.

P.S. WTF!!??! THAT WAS IT?? THAT'S THE END OF THE SERIES??!?!
Also: Aw thank you Omakase! And now...

On Topic! --
Well I'd really like to see the movie before getting too wound up in a fanfic that might later be outdated - but I can't deny; some things have definitely started brewing in my head. They're barely gestated at best...stewing in herbs and manure is a good analogy, and if you get that then I'm very impressed with you.

Something I just thought of. This may prove a useful source of alchemical concepts, for the fanfic author who strives for excellence. I'd also recommend Goethe's Faust. Though I haven't read the work myself, there is an excellent essay examining it somewhere in that website I just posted. In fact, I'd recommend the essay to all Hagaren fans. It's not the most compelling thing ever written, so if you can't stomach dry stuff you may want to pass. BUT, and this is the important part, I noticed a few thematic similarities between Goethe's Faust and Hagaren no Renkinjutsushi. So. Y'know. Worth checking out. Also the Divine Comedy might be worth a look, since it explores a similar personal transformation, and it was written by Dante, which seems relevant though I haven't read that one either yet...let's see...OH YEAH!

One of the more solid fanfic ideas I had was that Hohenheim of Light (or Light Hohenheim) might be, in fact, Philippus Theophrastus Bombast von Hohenheim - more commonly referred to by his pseudonym; Paracelsus.

One request however: If anyone else decides to use this idea, and please feel free if it inspires you or even ads to your existing fanfic in any way, but please announce your intention to do so. Even if you thought of it independantly I don't want to write something similar to someone else's work. Is there a topic or forum to discuss potential fanfiction concepts? I have many ideas in their infancy. I think a writer's brainstorming forum would be a good idea. Like a thinktank.

Anyway, I'll shut up for now and see what gets said to this before chattering any more.
Omakase Shimasu
@__@ Man, seems you've been doing a lot of thinking and researching. biggrin.gif Actually I also came to the same conclusion regarding Hohenheim at one point. It would be a very suspicious coincedence if it wasn't. biggrin.gif But that's just me. (I'm just glad he wasn't named Roger Bacon rolleyes.gif Edward and Alphonse Bacon? Buwa)

Hmm, I guess the ideas could be discussed in the Fanart & Fanfiction section, since this really shouldn't be the place for any discussion about this subject. tongue.gif smile.gif
Ghost
lmao

Hey...is that where 'What, No Bacon?' got their name from!? Hm. Conspiracies abound.
EditDeath
QUOTE(Ghost @ Oct 7 2004, 07:23 AM)
Something I just thought of. This may prove a useful source of alchemical concepts, for the fanfic author who strives for excellence. I'd also recommend Goethe's Faust. Though I haven't read the work myself, there is an excellent essay examining it somewhere in that website I just posted. In fact, I'd recommend the essay to all Hagaren fans.

Ghost, I could kiss you! tongue.gif laugh.gif I could use this to no end. Thank you.
Ghost
*dances a jig* I love it when I'm useful!! *glee squeal*
hakai-kun
If a fanfiction section does happen. Please contact me. I wanted to rewrite 'Don't Forget' and edit and add to 'Everyone Loves Edward'. So I'd definetly be willing to get some work done if a fanfic section came up!
EditDeath
New update to story plot!

I've decided what the secret is to opening the gate from Ed's side is. Want to know? Well, too bad. laugh.gif tongue.gif Let's just say, I was inspired by Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Reading it now, and I gotta say, I'm seriously reminded of the homunculus births.

Anyway, enjoy your suspense! biggrin.gif
Ghost
Frankenstein's monster is, essentially, a homunculus.
Guest_EditDeath
You read my mind, Ghost. biggrin.gif
Ghost
I have a suspicion that you're a creative writer. I look forward to reading the fanfic you're working on. I want to write one of my own, but I just recently rededicated myself to an original work that's been gestating for nigh on two years, so I don't really feel like I have time. Although that doesn't make me feel too bad, since I know good Hagaren fanfiction is in the works by someone (not to mention there have been several good ones already produced). I'm babbling because should really be doing something else and not writing this. Bobbldeboo!
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(EditDeath @ Oct 20 2004, 02:45 AM)
New update to story plot!

I've decided what the secret is to opening the gate from Ed's side is. Want to know? Well, too bad. laugh.gif  tongue.gif  Let's just say, I was inspired by Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Reading it now, and I gotta say, I'm seriously reminded of the homunculus births.

Anyway, enjoy your suspense!  biggrin.gif

tongue.gif Evil, pure evil.

Man, you all seem so professional. >__> Can't say the same about myself. I always end up with... smut and silly little pieces that should never have seen the light of day. Somehow I always end up with overly-exaggerated (angst) pieces or overly-exaggerated fluffyily humor pieces. -___-
Guest_EditDeath
Can't say I'm much different. Truth be told, this is probably the most serious and complex piece I've ever done. I just hope I'll be able to tie in some humor at the same time.
Guest_EditDeath
By the Way, speaking of Frankenstein I just found something very amusing in the book. Victor Frankenstein's father's name was Alphonse. biggrin.gif Who'd have thought, eh?
Omakase Shimasu
ph34r.gif Oh man...

If that's the case, I hope he brings Winry along for the ride. tongue.gif
Ghost
This is the only, and I mean ONLY instance in which I could condone AlxWinry 'shipping. And only because it would result in Victor's birth.

Imagine; auto-mail mom, alchemist dad - it's no WONDER little Victor turned out the way he did! Now to explain why they'd choose the name Frankenstein...?

btw
My "original work" that I pretend to be so serious about is just a huge long story about swashbuckling space pirates that I'm really lazy about working on or else it'd likely be done by now. So don't let me trick you into thinking I'm some kind of "for real" writer or something. I planning it to be a comic series. Self-published, Kinko's style, out of my own pocket, distributed for free because I'd never expect anyone to pay so much as a quarter for my silly little space-opera.

Hell you should read some of the retarded X-Men, Sailor Moon, and Final Fantasy VII fanfictions I wrote in High School. Better yet: NO YOU SHOULDN'T. lol
Now those will never see the light of day...again. Eheheh. *sweat-drop*

Edit/Note: Not hentai or anything. Just stupid.
Ghost
By the way, I've started reading Frankenstein too and it's very good! I'd say it's a recommended read for any Hagaren fan. The similarities are just...too many. I'm not implying a connection, only that if you enjoyed Hagaren's style and setting, you'll probably like Frankenstein as well.

Stay the hell away from both movies though. They're bad. Yes even the classic Universal one. It utterly fails to capture any of the darkness or decay of the book. There's a definite sense of "rot" in the narrative, and I haven't even got as far as anything crazy happening yet.

And even though Boris Karloff rocks, his square head does not.
hakai-kun
Hm... are they still planning to do a fanfic section on the site? or has it been disguarded? l0l
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif bryantq made a topic regarding the fanfiction section in the Fanfiction forum! Check it out!

And it's become official!

In the near future we will be posting more character biographies, new game reviews and walkthroughs, as well as more manga and magazine scans. We've also got a fanfiction section coming soon, and hopefully if we find the right partner (we know you're out there) we'll be able to offer FMA Goods and Merchandise straight from the site. Finally, starting in December, we'll be hosting a Fullmetal Alchemist Wallpaper contest, where winners will recieve cool FMA goodies. We hope you continue to choose us for your number one Fullmetal Alchemist website.

smile.gif I'm glad.
telepika
I've been writing a little FMA, Harry Potter crossover story. I'll be willing to submit it to the new fanfiction section. (I don't know if you allow crossovers though).

If you want to read it, it's in fanfiction.net under telepika. biggrin.gif
Ghost
I just knew somone was gonna cross-over with Harry Potter. I'd love to read that. Also, I hope EditDeath is still going to post his story.
Omakase Shimasu
Ghost, I've missed you! T__T Where have you been??

Hehe, it seems a crossover between HP and FMA is pretty popular nowadays. biggrin.gif I've seen lots of them already, in any case. telepika's one of the greatest though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.