Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dvd Volume Iv: The Fall Of Ishbal
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
adamclark
<Adding "DVD" to the thread title to better describe the content of the thread, and moving from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum where all FMA DVD related threads are being collected currently 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

Hey everybody! The next installment of the American version of FMA is out on DVD! Volume four contains episodes 13-16.

I got it yesterday and am pretty excited about it (although it is frustrating collecting each volume as it comes out). I especially like the accompanying art booklet they include with the DVDs. It contains great production and character artwork, as well as interesting intros written by the original anime creators.

if you haven't started collecting the dvds, what are you waiting for?
Glam
Does anybody else have problems playing their dvds? Cause I got mine at suncoast, and episode 13 and 14 won't play for me it just stops, and I returned it and got another dvd and it still does the same thing for me. =.=;;
adamclark
well that sounds like it could be a dvd player issue. try using it on another player.

dvd is a great technology, but has problems VHS never did. If you have a cheap dvd player (or one prone to being flakey) then the slightest problem with a dvd will cause it to skip and such.
Glam
yeah, but all my other 3 fullmetal alchemist dvds had no problem in the past and don't have any problems now, just the 4th volume...
Ed_Elric_Fan
Good DVD, especially love the little bloopers they do! And I finally get to see the Scar episodes, tho my brother didn't get why I was laughing when the Brigadier General died, heh.
Jen_Elric
I went to Best Buy on the day it came out and it wasn't there! So I went to Suncoast, to just look around. I didn't expect to get it there, cuz usually DVD's there are about 30 bucks. >_<
But when I got to Suncoast, I saw vol. 4 there, for 19.99!! O_O So of course, I picked it up. And I just watched it today! It was great! I even liked the part when Scar kills Gran...it was like slow motion. Very bloody!
I never have any problems with any of my DVD's (FMA and others). It could very well be your player, Glam. Wish I could help you out better, though. sad.gif
adamclark
yeah its wasn't at my local best buy either (i was not surprised though). I even went to target and no luck. finally i stooped down to going to walmart, and what do ya know? it was there!

this are some of volume has some of my favorite episodes. i was surprised to see grand killed when i first saw that episode, but i was glad. (in the manga he is dead before the reader ever sees him!).

my most favorite episodes, though are coming up in the next dvd, when ed and al are in laboratory 5. those are some of the most exciting scenes.

oh, and maybe glam you should exchanged you dvd AGAIN. it may sound ridiculous, but you might have had two bad dvds in a row.
musicgeek7
QUOTE(Glam @ Jul 27 2005, 03:31 PM)
Does anybody else have problems playing their dvds?  Cause I got mine at suncoast, and episode  13 and 14 won't play for me it just stops, and I returned it and got another dvd and it still does the same thing for me. =.=;;
[snapback]229026[/snapback]

Mine did exactly the same thing but i bought mine at Walmart. I tried all the special features and they worked but none of the episodes would play. The disk looked like it had little lines on the back of it and it acted like it was covered in scratches when i tried to play it. I tried it on three different dvd players and it happened every time. I'm taking mine back today. Maybe buying online will ensure a better quality.
Glam
hm, I think all the ones at my local suncoast are bad =S i might just go to the other mall and try there tomorrow >.<
Scars of love
LMAO Funi is ass raping fans by releasing defects. wait to go Funi you stupid assclowns! wow! testers should be fired for shit like this. I'm gettin mine tommorow from Best Buys. They wont be the best to buy from if the little asses don't have it there tommorow.
adamclark
well like i said before, my local best buy didn't have them the day of release, but probably do now. best is,though, the only place near me that has all the volumes in stock, for only 20 bucks. Movie stop has em, but for 30.

woa, scar, every dvd manufacturer will occasionally produce defects. it's not the company's fault, but the machinery. it is unfortunate, but you can return them as many times as it takes to get a good one.

i'm sorry for those who have to go through with it though.
deathscythe9595
I bought the DVD the day it came out at my local FYE, episodes 13-16 are really good, I thought the music video for "Ready, Steady, Go" was interesting. Volume 5 comes out September 20th, can't wait, and apparently volume 6 is going to come out as second box set as well, wonder what it will come with.
Ed_Elric_Fan
Woah, thats wierd, every other time I play the Ready Steady Go music video, it starts to freeze, wierd. Anyway, I loved the little bloopers too, poor Ed.
Scars of love
I finally got it. but i had to spend 30 bucks on it since the crappy best buy by me only had vol2 in stock which just makes them look stupid. Vol4 has alot more extras then the other 3 Vols. Probably because of the music video with the full Ready Steady Go and the full episode of Spiral which i couldn't get into. I finally got to see the full second ending too which is my favorite now. Too bad craptoon network won't show the full endings. we wouldn't had to wait so long for the dvd to see the full verison in the US. well. if you have downloads please PM them to me.
AlphonseRules
Ahh! I hadn't even realized that it was out. I'll have to go buy it tomorrow, Best Buy better have it. dry.gif I can't wait to see Gran blow up. laugh.gif
Satsuka
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Jul 29 2005, 10:54 PM)
Ahh!  I hadn't even realized that it was out.  I'll have to go buy it tomorrow, Best Buy better have it. <_<  I can't wait to see Gran blow up. :lol:
[snapback]232360[/snapback]

Best Buy does has it. I just bought the DVD today. ^_^
Jon The Uncool
I picked up my copy yesterday from a local anime store, and it turned out to be a defect. It was suffering from pretty bad disc seperation, which is what you have when the bottom of the disc looks milky. The two layers were seperating and mine crapped out at the end of episode 14. So I returned it and have a replacement on order, hopefully that will be in for next week.

At least I got to have a laugh at Envy's english voice. Very cool sounding.
adamclark
yeah i forgot how strange Envy's voice is, i had watched the second season online and had gotten used to the jap version. i remembered why i had trouble figuring out his gender, the us voice is very feminine.

i'm really surprised about all the defects people been getting. maybe their have been some bootlegs out there... but i guess that's the problem with dvds in general.

i loved it when gran got killed. i don't think anybody was sad about that.

gotta love the dvd extras... especially ready, steady, go!

i'm surprised why adultswim gets away with cutting the closing credits short. i think the best ending is this one as well.

the best opening credits is the one for the last episodes. it rocks.
Kakashi
Defects? Wow I'm glad I didn't buy it yesterday when I could of.
Rob Myers
QUOTE(Glam @ Jul 27 2005, 03:15 PM)
yeah, but all my other 3 fullmetal alchemist dvds had no problem in the past and don't have any problems now, just the 4th volume...
[snapback]229098[/snapback]

No, it happened to me too! I tried two copies, both had the same problem (first two episodes didn't work). So I just today bought it again from a different store. Haven't tried it yet, but I have my fingers crossed.

Of course, my DVD player is my older PS2. I thought it might just be me/my player until I read your posts here.
Odysseus
Don't rule out the possibility of it being a problem with the PS2. I have DVD's that work great on my Normal DVD, but have serious issues with them on my PS2.
Jon The Uncool
QUOTE(Odysseus @ Jul 30 2005, 10:11 PM)
Don't rule out the possibility of it being a problem with the PS2. I have DVD's that work great on my Normal DVD, but have serious issues with them on my PS2.
[snapback]233215[/snapback]

Nah, my case was DVD seperation plain and simple. I used to work in a video store, I've seen it a dozen times before. It would have failed in just about any player. It's nothing serious, Funimation or whoever does the DVDs will just replace the busted ones I'm sure.
Scars of love
LIKE OMGZZZZ SPRIAL SUCKS! It's an anime that we got on Vol4 of Fullmetal. Seems like Funi decided to throw in some crappy show with the extras. but i skipped most of it because it was boring and watched the Ready,Steady,Go! music video instead.
adamclark
yeah i couldn't watch spiral for more than 2 minutes, i had no idea what was going. in fact i didn't get past the girl falling out of the sky.

is that a common theme in Asian stories? I've seen that in a final fantasy game and in crouching tiger...

i dunno, seems kind of strange to me.
Scars of love
The Intro and Ending of Spiral is off beat and horrible too. but back to Fullmetal Vol 4. Episodes i had never saw the second ending because of craptoon network always cutting it,but when i finally saw it on the dvd....my god.....it's such an awesome song. it's my favorite anime ending and favorite fullmetal ending right now.
adamclark
what i really like about that ending is the shot of the snowflakes falling on ed's hands. for some reason that struck me. cool doesn't describe it properly (and is a bad pun).

it was just really awesome to see the snowflakes melt in his real hand and stay frozen in his automail.

real ingenius. it's that kind of stuff that make FMA such an awesome show.

the opening credits for season two have that kind of clips, really stunning and exciting.
TheVileOne
Love the DVD's, wish they had more extras.

The alternate episode previews on this volume are hilarious.

Love the L~Arc music video, wish we got more stuff like that on the DVD.

What I really want is interviews from the English voice actors and audio commentary.
adamclark
for all the "purists" out there, i was glad to see that the american dvds actually have the original japanese voices and official subbing. it's a fun thing to compair the american dialogue vs. the japanese.
Satsuka
I love the Ready Steady Go music video!
TheVileOne
QUOTE(adamclark @ Aug 1 2005, 12:59 AM)
for all the "purists" out there, i was glad to see that the american dvds actually have the original japanese voices and official subbing.  it's a fun thing to compair the american dialogue vs. the japanese.
[snapback]235194[/snapback]

This is NOT uncommon practice for anime releases on DVD, its pretty much the norm. Especially for Funimation.
Kakashi
I know this is probably an old topic but I just got back from the Canadian National Anime Expo and Funimation had a booth(small). Anyway the DVD was in perfect condition nothing is wrong. It's just like any other DVD's.
DemonicFlare-Alchemist
I can't wait to buy it*jumps for joy* cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.