Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Maria Ross Fans?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Sword Alchemist
Are there any other fans of 2nd Lt. Maria Ross here?

I've liked Maria Ross ever since she and her partner Denny were first introduced to the anime. Not only is she tough but she seems to have a very kind heart. She doesn't seem to get as much fan love as Hawkeye or Winry though sad.gif
Volte
Yeah, she's alright.
Automne
I'm not a fan but I like her a lot! It's sad she doesn't get enough screen time because she's an interesting character and (like you said) has got a kind heart! I found it cute when Ed called her Mom in the 5th laboratory! She's done a lot for the brothers and I would really like to see her and Broche together! They'll make a cute pairing! I even found some japanese site about them! happy.gif
Satsuka
I'm not huge fan of her,although I like her.
Chibi Reina
I like it how she acts kind of motherly around the Elrics ^^ It let's them know she cares (even though Ed finds it annoying)
Celestial Shadow
I did like her myself...Not a major fan but she should've had more screen time.
Keos
I find manga Maria Ross is a lot cooler and better than her anime counterpart.... but then again, so are most people.
Electrastar
I can't say that I'm a fan either, she gets such little screentime.
But she did get high marks from me when she slapped Edward in the hospital because that's exactly what I wanted to do at the time. And she made him realized that he should stop trying to bear his problems alone.
eliss_music
QUOTE (Electrastar @ Jul 27 2005, 10:15 PM)
She did get high marks from me when she slapped Edward in the hospital.
She made him realized that he should stop trying to bear his problems alone.

I love her! I belive she is awsome! I was shocked when she was impersonated and tried to kill hughes. If you rewatch it you catch the no mole.
I belive the slap sceen was very important o her charater. It showed that she felt she needed to use drastic measures to save Ed from future stupid mistakes.
I adore her charater. She strikes me as the type of Lesbian I look for (I'm bi, be nice.) but I always picture her with Al (human or not, age doesn't matter!).

the sceen in lab five with her and Ed made me cry. Long story short-
She went beyond being an officer and became a 'human' (Military persona and those who grew up around them know what I mean.) who could not help but try to save Ed.
Ed doesn't like the 'mothering' thing because he has issuses with his mother dieing when they were young and no dad around means he's not sure how to handle being parented. This is simple psycology. Its also why he hates being treated like a child. Al has a "revers" symptom where he wants to be a child, not an adult.

She'd be a great mom and she is a very good soldier (like when she absolutly refused to listen because it got her in trouble last time.). Hm, My AlxRoss fan fic might have some material now...maybe....
any sugestions?
Automne
Oh Eliss_music, you're writing a AlXRoss fic? I read some of your comments in other threads and you sure have a lot of interesting idea for the pairings! happy.gif

Lol sorry it was a little off topic:

She's really a nice character, almost as interesting as Hawkeye I think! I loved when Hoenheim flirted with her laugh.gif I thought she was pretty shy in this scene and Denny's reaction was priceless! laugh.gif
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
Started to wonder when someone would put up a thread like this. Manga Maria was a lot cooler and I think a little more important than in the anime. Still, her fate in the manga was really sad.
I kind of do support AlxRoss but I'm more of a DennyxRoss fan. Too bad there aren't many fanfics. sad.gif
Chibi Reina
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Jul 28 2005, 05:25 AM)
I loved when Hoenheim flirted with her laugh.gif I thought she was pretty shy in this scene and Denny's reaction was priceless! laugh.gif
[snapback]230015[/snapback]

heehee, that was hilarious XD and then what happened to Hownheim when Ed got there and saw the scene was too gosh darned funny XD
Toby-Chan
I love her very much for all of the above reasons, so I don't really need to repeat myself here. Her scene in the fifth lab was really the clincher, though. (Even if it didn't happen in the manga. I liked that addition.) Edward collapsing into her embrace and muttering "...Mom?" almost made me cry. One of my favorite anime scenes ever.

The slap thing was cool too. Love a la Izumi lite. (Ed always gets crap from the women in his life, non?)

Broche x Ross is the Shizznat! tongue.gif As someone once said, and I must concur "Broche would sooo be a stay at home dad." laugh.gif
Even Arty hinted at them in her predominantly Yaoi "Dark Humor." It was a small reference, but oh so memorable. "Well, yes, see she had an alibi that night, which Broche accounted for. ... It was a very detailed alibi." tongue.gif
Sword Alchemist
Yeah, Denny and Maria would make great parents. Their family would be just as cute as the Hughes family.

Denny and Maria would be the kind of parents who would read bedtime stories to their kids together. biggrin.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Jul 28 2005, 09:16 PM)
Yeah, Denny and Maria would make great parents. Their family would be just as cute as the Hughes family.

Denny and Maria would be the kind of parents who would read bedtime stories to their kids together. biggrin.gif
[snapback]230982[/snapback]

Ah, yes. And tell stories of when they helped out the legendary Fullmetal Alchemist.

O.O

I just got the best mental image of the two of them babysitting Salem and telling him stories about his number one idol Edward Elric, the tiny alchemist! <333
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
That would be sooo adorable! smile.gif If they had a kid, do you think it would be a girl or a boy?
Sword Alchemist
Maybe a girl.

She would be Denny's pride and joy. Denny would be the type to go nuts for every minute she stays out past her 10:00 curfew (which Denny strictly enforces) and Maria would say something like "Honey, Im sure she's fine."

It would really cute if Denny and Maria had both a son and a daughter.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
lol. They both stike me as good parents. I wonder if I could get my friend to write a MariaxBloche Fanfic...? biggrin.gif We should try and find fanart... tongue.gif
Automne
laugh.gif Some have fics idea!

I found a beautiful pic of Maria!
fooly cooly pillows
im a fan of her shes really cool
9o865tre
-
AndroidLust
Splee! I`m a big fan of Maria and I`m glad other people like her too.I`m also a big fan of DennyxMaria! laugh.gif
Sword Alchemist
I've seen that fanart before. It's so cute.

Does anyone else think Denny would be the kind of boyfriend who would go to the store and buy Maria her personal womanly items? laugh.gif I can just picture him standing in the womens hygene isle trying to remember what brand of tampons Maria asked him to get her.
AndroidLust
Hmm..., I actually think Denny would be more embarassed or shy about that sorta thing. But it would be cute to see him try rolleyes.gif

More pictures biggrin.gif
Toby-Chan
I think he'd be freaked out at first, but after a while, would unabashedly walk through the aisles and openly ask for help, etc. XD

Then again, you never know. It could go either way with a dude like Denny.
Satsuka
Nice fanarts! ^_^
Sword Alchemist
Ok we've already come to the conclusion that Denny and Maria would make great parents.

What do you guys think married life for them would be like?

I think marriage for Denny and Maria would start off as very innocent. They both strike me as two people who had never had a sexual experience before. I can imagine them being the kind of newlyweds who would be very bashful on their wedding night and wait for each other to make the first move. That would be so cute laugh.gif

Maybe this thread should've been about Maria AND Denny instead of just Maria. Oh well, it all relates to Maria Ross somehow so it really doesn't metter.
Satsuka
QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Aug 3 2005, 04:22 PM)
Ok we've already come to the conclusion that Denny and Maria would make great parents.

What do you guys think married life for them would be like?

I think marriage for Denny and Maria would start off as very innocent. They both strike me as two people who had never had a sexual experience before.  I can imagine them being the kind of newlyweds who would be very bashful on their wedding night and wait for each other to make the first move.  That would be so cute :lol:

Maybe this thread should've been about Maria AND Denny instead of just Maria. Oh well, it all relates to Maria Ross somehow so it really doesn't metter.
[snapback]239384[/snapback]

I'm gonna go make a Maria and Denny thread right now.
BellatrixAngelofKyo
Maria is a great character, but sadly she didn't recieve very much attention in the story. I personaly am quite fond of Maria, and I love her personality! It's a shame her character was not developed more during the series... hopefully she will show up again in the manga.
Aleclom
I like Maria a lot. She's strong, loving, and helpful. I also think she's quite attractive.
Sword Alchemist
Maria was also very brave in Lab 5. When Ed was in that red water, she risked her life to save him. The show has made it obvious that coming into contact with red water can be painful too.
PBalfredo
Maria is my favorite character in the series. I've always had a soft spot for minor characters, and Maria's role as a surrogate mother really captured my attention.

I was pretty amazed at the scene with her at the end of Created Human. I got a real sense of the motherly bond when she faced the danger and embrassed Ed to calm him down. Then Ed whispered in his semi-delusional state "Mom...you're back." It was so soft I was barely sure I heard it, but it blew me away all the same. It really solidified her surrogate mother role which was something I found really unique and engaging. It's too bad they didn't expand on that relationship much further.

In episode 18's preview for the next episode, the one cut of Ross with her gun drawn and with a look of shocked surprise made me think she was going to be killed by Scar in the next episode. Since he was after Ed and it seemed inevitable she would fight him as Ed's bodyguard. We learned that far that Scar's arm of death > guns, so if it came to that Ross wouldn't stand much of a chance. Unlike other characters who you know aren't going to be killed off, at least without a big dramatic moment, Maria's minor character status made her potential cannon fodder, so each episode she's in I'm rooting for her survival. Whenever she was in danger, I felt genuien worry that something might happen to her, which is a feeling you nomally don't get when the good guys fight bad guys on a TV show. This gunuien responce made the show terribly exciting and made me love FMA all the more.
Sword Alchemist
Awesome, It's so cool to find other Maria fans.

It's too bad that she's overshadowed by characters like Riza Hawkeye.
Popogeejo
She's cool.Denny is one lucky guy.
PBalfredo
QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Mar 20 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]366233[/snapback]

It's too bad that she's overshadowed by characters like Riza Hawkeye.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on that. I'd prefer not draw heat from Riza fans, or just post hate on the boards. Let's just say I agree that Hawkeye steals some of Maria's thunder.
Popogeejo
It's not Hawkeyes thats the problem it's the lack of Ling.
If there was Ling then Maria could have had her plot from the Manga.
Don't blame Riza,blame writting.
Sword Alchemist
As much as I loved the last episode, I would've liked to have seen some more of Maria. She and her partner Denny were only shown for a few seconds. Heck, even Sheska got more time in the spot light than Maria did.

PBalfredo
Yeah, it would have been nice to see them more in the epilogue. But what else could the epilogue have shown about them other than the fact they were still alive? Them making out in the broom closet?
Sword Alchemist
I think it would've been cute if there would've been a tender moment between Maria and Denny in the last episode like there was with Roy and Riza. Maybe a short little scene where Denny finally gets the courage to ask Maria on a date or something.

PBalfredo
Lets talk a bit about Ross at the end of Created Human, which really is Ross' defining moment in the anime. I have to say, it was a really powerful moment and one of my favorite in the entire series. It was totally unexpected for Ross, who has been treated like a very minor character thus far, to suddenly step forward to save the day. Ed's little Freudian slip established that beneath the surface there is a powerful unspoken relationship between the series' main character and this seemingly throwaway character. Again, Fullmetal Alchemist shows how it likes to treat minor characters right by propelling them unespectedly into a much larger role than previously thought. I'm a little dissapointed that they didn't take this relationship much further in the series, aside from her little slap in the hospital. After seeing this episode I was expecting her surrogate mother role to come into play more further down the series. Possibly after defeating Sloth and letting it really sink in that their mother is gone for now and forever, that the brothers would appreciate the members of their surrogate family, like Winry, Izumi and Ross, more than they did before and let them into their lives more rather than keeping them at arms length and burdening all the hardship by theirselves.

What'd other people think of this scene and it's implications? Anyone else catch what Ed said the first time watching the episode, and what was you initial reaction? Discuss!
Sword Alchemist
That part was awesome. I didn't catch the part when Ed called Maria "mom" the first time the episode aired on Adult Swim but I had heard about it. The second time the episode was aired, I listened close and heard him say "Mom, you're back."

Another time her role as surrogate mother was explored was when she went all the way to Risembool to warn Ed and Al that they were wanted by the military. If the higher ups in the military found out about that, Maria and Denny probably could've been accused of treason for helping someone who was considered an enemy of the military. Maria took a very huge risk right there. She has proven that she would do anything to protect Ed and Al just like a mother is willing to do anything to protect her children.
Tombow
Happy Birthday, Sword Alchemist!!

This "mariaxsergeant" pic was posted by Frozen Ice Alchemist on page 61, post #911 of Casual Clothes thread.
I did quick translations:
[attachmentid=4909][attachmentid=4984]
"Danny meets daddy"

Daddy, let me introduce Brosh-san from Central Headquarter!!
His rank isn't that high, but he is a kind person, and he has a gentle soul!!
And, like you, one of his hobbies is making home-made pasta!!
You used to say "there is no such thing as a bad guy who loves making home-made pasta!!" right??
Right?? Daddy!!??

I think Ross wants daddy to have favorable opinion of Dunny. happy.gif
Sword Alchemist
Thank you so much Tombow.

That was a cute translation for that pic.

With the way Ross is saying "Right?? Daddy??" at the end, it sounds like her daddy is looking at Denny like this huh.gif and thinking along the lines of 'Oh no, my baby girl is dating a lower ranked soldier.'
Nepharski
QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Jul 26 2005, 09:09 PM) [snapback]228346[/snapback]

Are there any other fans of 2nd Lt. Maria Ross here?

I love Maria Ross. She's one of my favorite characters. biggrin.gif She's a strong character, and transfers very well from Manga to Anime, unlike some other characters I could mention (*Cough* Denny *Cough* dry.gif ). She's just so cool.

Plus, and I'm a little ashamed to say this (she is, after all, a drawn character), but I find her attractive, too.
FMA4ever
Yeah I support this couple! Love Denny X Maria

But something weird.....doesn't Denny kinda look like an older version of Ed? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.