Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shou Tucker, Love Him? Or Hate Him?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Robo-Mechanic
<Editing the thread title from "Shou Tucker" plus the sub-title "Do you hate him? Or not?" to "Shou Tucker, Love Him? Or Hate Him?" 03/02/07 ~Tombow>

I HTE HIM! HES SO EVIL!
animejunkie429800
EVIL!!!!!! EVIL!!!!!
Automne
BAD!!! BAD!!! GROOOSSS!!!
Longsword
Hmmm.... As hideous character as Tucker is, he is also clearly mentally ill. Hard not to hate him, but perhaps I shouldn't...
Electrastar
I never hated him to be quite honest...Yes, he's clearly demented for what he did to his own daughter, but in his words when he explains his actions to Edward are just and make a lot of sense...so it's kinda hard to hate a man when he's right...
~FMAgurl~
Tucker is a coldhearted loser that should die. Nina was so adorable and supportive of him, and he turns her into a chimera! He couldn't find anything else to do for his assessment?
FMA JPD
I hate tucker sooooooooo much do that to his wife and then his own daughter...That bastard
Longsword
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Jul 26 2005, 01:25 PM)
Tucker is a coldhearted loser that should die. Nina was so adorable and supportive of him, and he turns her into a chimera! He couldn't find anything else to do for his assessment?
[snapback]227620[/snapback]

I think that was the only thing he felt would get the state to renew his license. Basque Gran pushed him very hard, and he was deranged to begin with. Tucker seems to me to be modelled after psychopaths who often act normally and can commit terrible deeds.

Not that his actions could be defended under any circumstances, but FMA is very brave series indeed to depict such things.

Of course Tucker's role was also to show Ed how low an Alchemist can sink if he or she completely ignores morals and simply pursues science and knowledge regardless of anything else. Tucker's actions were logical (he created a unique scientific experiment, and benefitted himself in the process) but they were also evil.
Satsuka
I HATE SHOU TUCKER!!!!!!!!!!
Katana Alchemist
QUOTE(Longsword @ Jul 26 2005, 06:01 PM)
Not that his actions could be defended under any circumstances, but FMA is very brave series indeed to depict such things.

Of course Tucker's role was also to show Ed how low an Alchemist can sink if he or she completely ignores morals and simply pursues science and knowledge regardless of anything else. Tucker's actions were logical (he created a unique scientific experiment, and benefitted himself in the process) but they were also evil.
[snapback]227754[/snapback]

I always figured somebody on the writing team for FMA had some background in academia. Although not doing anything this evil or drastic, a lot of people become so obsessed with their ideas they destroy their marriages or have a breakdown.
The alchemist renewal thing reminded me a lot of the pressure on college faculty to "publish or perish," basically that unless they continue turning out research which brings money and fame to the university, they're outta work.
I guess when your life, reputation and career are on the line, people can do some very crazy things. Obviously at this point they've lost touch with reality and need to take a step back, but it happens.

As for hating Tucker, I could never bring myself to really do it. I think once he created the chimera out of Nina and Alexander, that whole spell was broken. For the rest of the series his only goal is to get back the person he threw away so easily.
This quest leads him to mutilate his own body and the increasing insanity is evidence of how much this whole thing has weighed on him. I'm not sure I can feel sorry for him, but I think he's suffered plenty.
FMAlchemistChan
I hate him! I would never like a guy who sacrificed his own wife and daughter just to keep his title as State Alchemist. He is just too cruel.
ichtylogy
He's gross and insane. Yuck... mad.gif
Robo-Mechanic
"I Cant belive hed use his family for just an exam!"
Aiken
lol 100% hate Shou Tucker! 0% Don't!
Slashrose1010
I hated Shou Tucker when Edo foudn out that he used his own family for chimera experimentations, but I just felt great pity for him later when he tried to create a perfect chimera that looked like his daughter =/
ElementAlchemist
I liked him untill I found out what he was doing. NOOOOO!!!
adamclark
he is not so much a character to hate as he is one to be pitied, especially if you've seen the whole series, which I won't elaborate on, because of spoilers.

but i dont like him.
Crimson Blood Alchemist
Shou was mad, but i wouldnt call him evil. What he did to his daughter and the dog was wrong, but he was doing in the name of science. Doesnt that sound familiar? huh.gif
Aiken
yes but it wasn't out of "love" it was so he could lead the happy life.
Random Person
I strongly dislike him. If he we're a real live person I would've slapped him in the face so hard he would have a scar..... (that was mean srry)
adamclark
don't worry, a "slap" is much less what he deserves for actions. but the guilt and pain he suffers in future episodes is adequate penance...

especially at the very end.
Laffe
he`s so sexy, so i cant hate him! ohmy.gif
Automne
He is...Sexy? dry.gif Well each their own taste...But really Shimera!Tucker! I can't really call it sexy! (I find Greed in ultimate shield mode sexy though! rolleyes.gif )
Erosan
mad.gif Shou Tucker Deserved what he got. No one should do anything like that to his own daughter. Besides, he wasn't really qoute "insane" when he did that to his wife, was he? He was a selfsish*insert best bad word for Tucker you can think of* freak of a person who should have been gunned down by a firing squad, then burned, and his ashes burried in a pile of horse manure. Then he would be the "Sowing Life Alchemist" instead of the "PervertingLife Alchemist". mad.gif
Zyric
Of course, he is by no means a kind man. Not by the time we see him. However, he's a good character, a scientist turned madman out of desperation and curiosity. He shows the other side of humanity, I acutally kind of see him as like an anti-Marco. As repulsive as I find it, I can't hate for that.

Even in real life scientists get so caught up in the passion they have for their work they do things that outside of the profession, they would never dream of doing. For example:

... an experiment in which a cat was "decerebrated", that is, it had all of its brain scraped out. It was still alive, and when an electrode was inserted into a certain part of its brain stem, the cat began to walk on a treadmill. It was a macabre experiment, but the scientist's enthusiasm in concluding that the nerves controlling a cat's walking ability must reside in the spine, blinded him to the horror of what he was doing.

Source.
9o865tre
-
Laffe
SinLuxuria:
i was just kidding.. diddn`t you understad i was only joking hehe =)
Automne
laugh.gif Yeah Laffe you almost scared me but I wasn't kidding about Greed's ultimate shield though, so maybe... blink.gif

Tucker was forced by Gran to do what he did but he shouldn't have done this to Nina and Alexander. It's an interesting theory, Zyric! But it's a scary experience this scientist has done...Poor cat... dry.gif
POTOPHREAK
QUOTE(Zyric @ Aug 1 2005, 01:57 PM)
Of course, he is by no means a kind man. Not by the time we see him. However, he's a good character, a scientist turned madman out of desperation and curiosity. He shows the other side of humanity, I acutally kind of see him as like an anti-Marco. As repulsive as I find it, I can't hate for that.

Even in real life scientists get so caught up in the passion they have for their work they do things that outside of the profession, they would never dream of doing. For example:

... an experiment in which a cat was "decerebrated", that is, it had all of its brain scraped out. It was still alive, and when an electrode was inserted into a certain part of its brain stem, the cat began to walk on a treadmill. It was a macabre experiment, but the scientist's enthusiasm in concluding that the nerves controlling a cat's walking ability must reside in the spine, blinded him to the horror of what he was doing.

Source.
[snapback]236981[/snapback]

I hate Tucker... mad.gif
And I even hate those people who do the cruel animal experiments. I know some of them have *cough* their reasons but... *sigh*
I hate it when people make excuses for people like tucker. Give me a brake you can call him insane and say that makes it alright but you know what he did is just wrong. Using his own loved ones and man's best friend the loyal dog like that can never be justifed.
Shizuka85
I really hate Shou Tucker. I nearly cried when I saw episode seven.
Blitz
I don't really hate him but I voted yes. I think I pity him more than I hate him.
carla
i don't think he's evil, he's just... seriously disturbed. heavy mental illness, he's just completely out of touch with reality. which doesn't make me like him any better, but it's not like he's the spawn of the devil. funny how people hate tucker, who did what he did because he thought it was the right thing to do and that he could maybe reverse it (of course it wasn't right, though), but we all love barry who butchers people because he likes to.

still, i feel mostly pity for him. nina loved him dearly, he must've been a really great father at one point in time. sadly, they had such a tragic outcome.

i didn't vote. i can't say i hate him, but i certainly don't like him.
bos bos
he's Sad<< pethatic i sympathy him
FULLMETAL RENKINJUTSUSHI
I HATE HIM! mad.gif I THINK HE SHOULD CRAWL INTO A HOLE AND DIE! (i know i'm mean) NINA DIDN'T DESERVE THAT! And why did al have to stop ed from killing him when he was punching him near the end?! Every time I see Shou Tucker in another episode or picture i have flashbacks of that episode... Chimeras creep me out too. unsure.gif
Longsword
QUOTE(FULLMETAL RENKINJUTSUSHI @ Aug 7 2005, 01:35 PM)
I HATE HIM!  mad.gif I THINK HE SHOULD CRAWL INTO A HOLE AND DIE! (i know i'm mean) NINA DIDN'T DESERVE THAT! And why did al have to stop ed from killing him when he was punching him near the end?!
[snapback]245217[/snapback]

Al stopped Ed because he did not want to see Ed turn into murderer. 12-year old kids (even ones equipped with Automail that allows them to punch harder than adults -think of it as having access to a gun) should not take justice into their own hands. The land had laws and a government, and it is their job to deal with unhinged murderers.
Omakase Shimasu
I love his character. It's hard to find a real villain/psycho these days, you know. (But then, Tucker's not really entirely 'evil' in the anime) >_>

So I guess I'd go for a mix between the two options provided.
The fact is Tucker is not evil...Distrubed and insane...He loved Nina, but he lack the sense and the guts to stand aginast Basque and say no. Of course, Gran may had been the guy who picked Nina(& maybe her mom) in the first place. And threaten to kill Nina if Tucker refused to comply.

But as Tucker present the Nina Chimera to the Elrics, dispite calming to be satififed at what he did, he actually wanted Edward to kill him, but that didn't happen. Though a prisoner, Tucker was promised time to ressurect Nina...Time which him his own humanity just to be with Nina again...However, Tucker is willing to be with Nina by ANY means, evenif it's not the "Nina" he knows.
You want scientific evil, then go for Hojo from FFVII. He experimented on Sephiroth when his son was only a fetus. No to mentioned he never cared for Sephiroth in anyway, only Sephiroth's success in destroying the world impressed him out see his "creation's" in his full portantial at the cost of billion.
QUOTE(carla @ Aug 6 2005, 04:05 PM)
i don't think he's evil, he's just... seriously disturbed. heavy mental illness, he's just completely out of touch with reality. which doesn't make me like him any better, but it's not like he's the spawn of the devil. funny how people hate tucker, who did what he did because he thought it was the right thing to do and that he could maybe reverse it (of course it wasn't right, though), but we all love barry who butchers people because he likes to.

[snapback]244003[/snapback]

Frist off i can say i hate tucker if i want to beacuse i also dont like barry. But the main thing i wanted to say is he didnt actually think this was the right thing to do he knew it wwas wrong and wanted to keep his big house and money and crap. He killed his wife daughter and dog. Quite simply theres no way to say he thought he was doing the right thing and you cant blame insanity or anything like that. Sure i sound a bit nieve beacuse i use to think like that like there was no good no evil everyone just did what they thought was right but i've came to see i was wrong and the truth is people just want to be able to jutfie themself so they dont look bad.
Senefen
AHHHHHH! it was so much better in the manga where they just killed him and he stayed dead!!! Stupid recycling bones! I hated him the whole anime and waited for him to die and he didnt *spasm*. Plus his chimaera voice and body is annoying.
DarkBlade_Alchemist
Hate him..........Cruel Bastard
blahrandom
shou tucker is both a horrible man and a kind soul who was put under so much pressure he cracked. i dont know if i'd do exactly the same thing, but he really is a good man deep deep deep deep deeeeeeeeeeep down i think.
meg08
I hate him! hes so evil!
seventh_sky
I do feel kind of sorry for him, because he must have been feeling pretty terrible to do something like that, but no matter what, he should never have done that to Nina.
Kiwi
I null voted, because I pity him more than I hate him...And in the end (both the anime and manga) he got what he deserved. Although in the anime it was kinda strange when he suddenly regreted what he did and started to try bring Nina back. But whatever, I still liked how he ended up in the anime.
Ed_Elric_Fan
I hate Tucker cuz of what he did to Nina... every time I see the new him with the creepy voice... *shiver* He scares me.
suchbeauty
HE's just insane..
=] he can just die and then I'd have some pitty for him
Shirokage
I hate him! How can he use his own daughter for evil purposes like that?!
Katana Alchemist

i know this a bit off topic but what exactly is so wrong about that experiment?
Automne
QUOTE(Katana Alchemist Posted Today @ 12:01 PM)
i know this a bit off topic but what exactly is so wrong about that experiment?

An awful and useless experiment on an animal, that IS what is wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.