Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Those Who Have Seen The Movie, Rate It!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Envious...
So it has finally come, the FMA movie: Conqueror of Shambala.

THough for me it will be many weeks (or months) before I can glean a subtitled version of this movie, I want to know what the general consensus is of those who were fortunate enough to see it already.
Sycia
Good.

Judgement can only be passed after you've SEEN the thing. Reading the summary really does it no justice~~~
Defade
Good.
As far as I've read.
*still regretting for catching a glimpse of the ending*
Guest_deekay_*
Is there a link for a detailed review available anywhere on the web, if so someone plz post it. Thanks for the summary, overall just from reading it, it seems good but slightly disappointing considering the outstanding quality of anime.
Guest_onizuka_*
great movie, just saw it with my friends here.

felt so good seeing some of the characters again, and i enjoyed the story. i'll probably go see it again once i save up more money ($18 gahh!)
Mystique
QUOTE(Sycia @ Jul 24 2005, 03:10 AM)
Good.

Judgement can only be passed after you've SEEN the thing. Reading the summary really does it no justice~~~
[snapback]224209[/snapback]

very true, was gonna stick down 'ok' cause i was disappointed first time, but that's story plot wise.
you gotta take in the cinematography, the cuts (so cool) 3d effects, music, fight scenes
all beautiful, it really does become a movie of good quality and not a regular anime episode.

edit: $18!?!!?
ah yeah
1800 en, lol yeah.
but but but, i got lucky, if u go to warner cinema and go to a late show it drops to 1200, that's almost the cheapeast ass ticket u're gonna get
(so damn expensive in this country)
you're just gonna be risking trying to catch the last train home tongue.gif
QUOTE(AnimeNewsNetwork)
Naruto, which premiered as the number 1 movie in Japan last week, fell all the way to sixth position at the box office this week.

Last week's other premiere, Konjiki no Gash Bell!!: Attack of the Mechavulcan, which premiered in 8th position fell out of this week's top 10.

Meanwhile, Pokemon 2005 enjoyed yet another weekend in third place, and its 5th concecutive weekend in the top 3.

The Fullmetal Alchemist movie, ranked 9th last week, also fell out of this week's top 10.

This Week Last Week Title Country  Week#
1 N/A Madagascar USA  1
2 2 Star Wars Episode 3 - Revenge Of The Sith USA  6
3 3 Pokemon 2005 Japan  5
4 4 Yokai Dai Senso  Japan  2
5 5 Aimless Aegis Japan  3
6 1 Naruto (movie 2) Japan  2
7 7 War Of The Worlds USA  7
8 11 Shining Boy & Little Randy Japan  5
9 6 Robots USA  3
10 10 The Island USA  4
The Japanese have spoken. FMA fell quickly off the Top 10 with only 3rd being its highest. Pokemon 2005 has stayed on the Top10 for very long, and always above FMA...
Hikaru Ookami
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 18 2005, 04:21 AM)
The Japanese have spoken. FMA fell quickly off the Top 10 with only 3rd being its highest. Pokemon 2005 has stayed on the Top10 for very long, and always above FMA...
[snapback]255018[/snapback]

I wonder if that's an indication of a bad movie, or that Pokemon is just overrated. >.<;

Well, I'm sure the movie will be worth the wait........

Long as I get free merchandise -coughcough- xD (jk).

I can't pass judgement because I haven't seen the movie yet. But I gave up my vote to see the results ;__________; I was going to vote in that 93494025 years from now! Nammit.. Oh well. xD I'm expecting the movie to be really good though, because from what I read (although not a whole lot, I didn't read the summary because I don't wanna read spoilers) it has a cute plotline.
Keos
This might be like music on the British charts.. quick to rise, quick to fall :S
AA battery
It's acceptable... with some flaws.

Anime/Manga was much better than movie imo... the movie just didn't fit into the usual hagaren style of the anime... If it's not a Hagaren movie, then I will give it a better rating... but since it's a Hagaren, it's not as good as expected.

Pokemon might not be over-rated because after all, it was aimed at kids. More kids watch it... well, I like most of the pokemon movies too.
Reika
I would rate it as bad.
edochick
I'd say it was Good =D The ending was kind of sad but overall it was great.
Jellybean
@Reika: Why's that?

OT:
@Edochick: You're avatar/sig pic is so cute! Where did you get it?
edochick
OT:

QUOTE (Jellybean @ Sep 12 2005, 06:08 PM)
OT:
@Edochick: You're avatar/sig pic is so cute!  Where did you get it?

Oh thanks. I drew the picture. But I just downloaded some neat photoshop brushes so it was kind of an experiment ^^
Reika
@Jellybean:

^^U after the happy ending for roy and riza suddenly there's a huge change and... I don't know what Gluttony was doing there with that form, and Hohenheim being alive inside of envy's fangs... and envy didn't kill him when he went to england to do that... and there are some character developements I didn't like, and Riza was OOC, as well as Ed in some cases... so... I would rate it as bad ^^U
Ed-o Elrich
QUOTE(Reika @ Sep 13 2005, 03:28 PM)
@Jellybean:

^^U after the happy ending for roy and riza suddenly there's a huge change and... I don't know what Gluttony was doing there with that form, and Hohenheim being alive inside of envy's fangs... and envy didn't kill him when he went to england to do that... and there are some character developements I didn't like, and Riza was OOC, as well as Ed in some cases... so... I would rate it as bad ^^U
[right][snapback]283417[/snapback][/right]

Although I haven't seen the movie, I think you should keep in mind that two years have passed and the characters are not the same people we knew....they have changed a little. I would think Ed would have changed most of all.
Reika
QUOTE (Ed-o Elrich @ Sep 15 2005, 12:17 PM)
Although I haven't seen the movie, I think you should keep in mind that two years have passed and the characters are not the same people we knew....they have changed a little. I would think Ed would have changed most of all.

Something is to change a little, and another thing is to have roy depress about what happened in ishval and specially hughes' death NOW, and Riza abandoned him because she didn't want to see him that way
NightMistress
I agree with Reika. They could have at least filled us in on *how* they got from point A to point B.
Carnal Malefactor
I would rate Reika as an idiot who can't accept outside-the-box character development, yet still fancies herself some kind of film critic... But that's just me.

As for the movie, I'd give it a B, or B-. It was entertaining, but a few things annoyed me, like the total lack of background for the main villain [I didn't even catch her name], the fact that there was no real closure for Envy, and the brevity of the last battle scene.
I liked all the neat touches dealing with Weimar-era Germany, though, and the inclusion of Fritz Lang was pretty clever, considering the influence he had on some of the great minds in anime, but his portrayal was pretty inaccurate. For one thing, he wasn't technically a Jew. His mother had Jewish blood, but both she and his father were practicing Catholics... and he never had a moustache. tongue.gif

Wrath finally made himself useful, though. That was nice of the writers to do that for him. laugh.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Well I finally saw it.

It was good.
I still have questions, like what happened to Gluttony and Envy(*sniff* no eye candy dammit)? Who was the main villian? What's her story? She was just there.

However, I have a feeling part of the movie was missing. There was a few parts where it would click on and off, more than likely the guy changing the tape. Can't wait to see the DVD.

Even with the missing info which may or may not have been the movies fault I give it two thumbs up. biggrin.gif
Mystique
what happened to gluttony and envy...
*blinks*
didn't you watch the tv series i at all?!!?!?

Gluttony was the total freaky ass monster that wrath faces, envy, she died in the tv series isn't it
(wonders if she watched the subbed or raw version)

i'm lazy to remember blonde womans name and her evil intentions, next person do it tongue.gif
Ladymercury (unable to login)
Er, hi folks, new.

The movie, with me, ranks B-/C. FMA wise, total mind melt and really lacks any connection to the core series itselef. Movie, by itself wise, pretty good. I love the attention to detail with the gypsies singing and Noah's final dance at the end. I loved that. The animation was truely amusing... then again, its a movie, its supposed to be amazing.

I was disappointed at the total lack of information behind the people of Ametris (i keep forgetting how to spell it). It was more like, cameos during the big fight at the end.

And EMO!Roy was annoying the hell out of me. Who knew that lackage of Riza would make him THAT emo. Why was Roy a corporal? Why was he in the mountains? What happen to the rest? It was nice to see at the end that Roy magically wasn't emo (it baffled me on how he just snaps out of emoness) and was giving everyone orders even though he was like a rank higher than a private.

I think the thing that irked me the most was alter!Hughes in which he was like... all nazi-fied and being all racist and ..... I never knew alter!Hughes would be that crappy. I miss happy family Hughes sad.gif

curious Gluttony battled was dumb. Oh, we get to see ugly [All hail lord Xenu] Gluttony be sacrificed! Yaay! Same with Envy! And wrath! Why not, lets just kill all the humonculi in under 10 minutes!!

I think that the movie wasn't worth me staying up nearly 12 hours in to the wee hours of the early morning hours to watch it, but I think it was worth at least one or two viewings.

The last rant thing: The ending brings us back to square one. Um, the whole movie was about Ed trying to get out of our world and he ends up back in our world. Don't worry though, folks. He has Al so everything is okay. Let's forget that he's left everyone else that has suffered with them behind!
TheVileOne
That's life sometimes Ladymercury. Sometimes the ones we love leave or are taken away from us. Ed did what he did because he wanted to make sure everyone was safe and no one would threaten his home in such a way again. While its probably not smart and taking all the people who will miss him into account, I think its both noble and courageous. To put aside his own selfish needs and desires. I think that's the point of the movie. To do the right thing, you have to put aside what you want the most.
Ladymercury (still unable to log
I fail to understand why he didn't take into consideration of just closing the door on his side rather than traveling to the other side to do it. I mean, seriously, if there is a wall in front of the door... how is one supposed to get through?

*shake le fist* Damn plot devices!
Tombow
QUOTE (Ladymercury (still unable to log @ Oct 17 2005, 11:30 AM) *
I fail to understand why he didn't take into consideration of just closing the door on his side rather than traveling to the other side to do it. I mean, seriously, if there is a wall in front of the door... how is one supposed to get through?

I tought about that, too, and some of my guesses are that Ed might have thought to make sure the connection would be cut off completely between that German world and the Hagaren world, since that German world is the one trying to invade Hagaren world.
You know, blocking off the access at the source (of invasion attack to the Hagaren world) so that the transmission would not occur in the first place, instead of just trying to block it at the doorstep of your house. And, I think he was confident in, and trust the ability of Al & the gang at the Hagaren world to destroy the gate at the Hagaren side, and that would make the complete assurance of no connections between the two worlds.
The Rossman rates this crap of a show...

http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/fullme...emistmovie.html
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 17 2005, 11:39 PM) [snapback]301074[/snapback]

Wow. You're so cool for posting THE SAME GODDAMN LINK THAT'S ALREADY BEEN POSTED ON THIS BOARD A DOZEN TIMES!

And 150,000 extra cool points for using a nonsense phrase like 'crap of a show'. Wha the hell is that even supposed to mean?
Jellybean
I didn't think it was quite up to par with the show, and there are a few aspects that nobody seemed to understand, but it was still really good. I certainly wouldn't call it a "crap of a show." It keeps your interest all the way through, very pretty animation, especially on the fight scenes, and has several nicely integrated themes, which I won't go into because it's already been discussed repeatedly in other threads.

And I've said it before, but I still think the ending was perfect. I don't get how the gate works at all, but evidently Ed thought it was necessary to close it from the other side, and he probably understands it better than us. tongue.gif Don't overthink it. In fact, I think it would be problematic if they left the Germany gate open, because the gate is rarely opened from Germany side, but crazy alchemists from Amestris-side seem to open it all the time. Besides, those armor troops came up through the ground in Liore without any gate being open on that side, so it seems like people could get through and make a mess with just the Germany gate open.

Damn, I didn't mean to start talking about the gate again, because I don't think it's important, but I got to babbling anyway.
Tombow
QUOTE (Jellybean @ Oct 17 2005, 11:49 PM) *
I think it would be problematic if they left the Germany gate open, because the gate is rarely opened from Germany side, but crazy alchemists from Amestris-side seem to open it all the time. Besides, those armor troops came up through the ground in Liore without any gate being open on that side, so it seems like people could get through and make a mess with just the Germany gate open.

Yap, that was another of my thoughts. With the wide spread use of alchemy in Hagaren world, closing the one that was used in the attack would not guarantee there wouldn't be other gates. But, in Germany of our world, it is a rare occasion that they have someone who is an alchemist, let alone a good alchemist who is skilled enough to be able to open the gate. So, yeah, I totally agree with Jellybean om that. smile.gif
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 17 2005, 09:26 PM) [snapback]301092[/snapback]

QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 17 2005, 11:39 PM) [snapback]301074[/snapback]

Wow. You're so cool for posting THE SAME GODDAMN LINK THAT'S ALREADY BEEN POSTED ON THIS BOARD A DOZEN TIMES!
Wow. You are such a LIAR. So where has this SAME LINK been posted on THIS BOARD a DOZEN times? You need to see a neurologist for your hallucinations.

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 17 2005, 09:26 PM) [snapback]301092[/snapback]

And 150,000 extra cool points for using a nonsense phrase like 'crap of a show'. Wha the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Nonsense phrase? Apparently besides having memory issues, you lack lessons in English. Ever heard of 'possessives' in the use of descriptives?

- Surely, every hero in a story had one hell of an adventure in their lifetime.
- People visiting an amusement get one hell of a ride on the roller coasters.
- It was a real shocker of an incident to get their eyes open and realise the truth.
- That was a crap of a way to die!
- A sequel was inevitable to that mega-hit, so producers made this piece of crap of a movie, "Zombie 3,"
- And thus, the FMA movie is one crap of a show.

Going to school will at least let you learn to be able to express and reason things out better than the garbage you just spewed forth from your orifice. So please pack your bag and start your school life now.

At the very least you could have Googled "crap of a" to avoid such an embarassment and salvage any possible IQ you had dry.gif

QUOTE(Jellybean @ Oct 17 2005, 09:49 PM) [snapback]301101[/snapback]

Don't overthink it.

You are correct to say this since the movie fails in terms of plot machinations and devices once the gears of the brain start moving on it. cool.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 17 2005, 07:39 PM) [snapback]301074[/snapback]

There's actually alot in that article I agree with. So many unanswered questions about the movie like the alchemy thing in our world, etc, etc, etc.

Too bad for the plot holes and so many other things that go unexplained but I still liked the movie even though I felt they could of ended the series much better.

I need the FMA answerman/woman dammit! biggrin.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 18 2005, 05:54 AM) [snapback]301183[/snapback]
Yep, go sneak off to get some advice from people who have the intelligence to get you out of this mess.
If you have time to keep popping back here to make snide substanceless remarks, you have the time to respond to the case at hand.
Since you avoided the issue, it just proves the idiot you are, thank you very much. Case closed.

Notice that it was 4 am in my time zone when I posted that reply. Some of us have things to do during the day.

Anyway, 'crap of a movie' is a grammatical nightmare because in English you can't use an unquantified noun [i.e. 'crap'] to describe a quantified noun [i.e. 'a movie']. If you'd said 'piece of crap of a movie', I wouldn't have taken issue with it, because you'd have been using a quantified noun to describe another quantified noun. For instance, you never hear anyone saying, 'wow, that was really slugs of a commute', because 'slugs' is unquantified, while you know there's only one commute being mentioned... it could refer to any number of slugs. People would instead say, 'wow, that was a real slug of a commute', because 'slug' and 'commute' are both quantified as singular nouns. But you don't hear people say that, either, because it's much easier to simply say, 'wow, that was a sluggish commute', because that way, 'slug' gets turned into an adjective, and it's much simpler to speak in simple adjective -> noun phrases, than in similes.

And it's pretty damn cowardly to insult someone anonymously. It ensures that you'll never be held accountable for what you've said, ven though it was completely baseless. So go ahead, Mr./Ms. Guest, try to refute what I've said. Nobody will ever know who you are, anyway. rolleyes.gif
Mystique
IPB Image
wow...
and so to more constructive comments about the movie..... unsure.gif
Jellybean
Yeah, take it elsewhere please. Or at least argue about the movie instead of making personal insults. The thread's going way off topic.
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 18 2005, 12:54 PM) [snapback]301263[/snapback]
Notice that it was 4 am in my time zone when I posted that reply. Some of us have things to do during the day.
Right, you have 5 hours to go around posting snide substanceless remarks to show off your stupidity.

Anyway, 'crap of a movie' is a grammatical nightmare because in English you can't use an unquantified noun [i.e. 'crap'] to describe a quantified noun [i.e. 'a movie']. If you'd said 'piece of crap of a movie', I wouldn't have taken issue with it, because you'd have been using a quantified noun to describe another quantified noun. For instance, you never hear anyone saying, 'wow, that was really slugs of a commute', because 'slugs' is unquantified, while you know there's only one commute being mentioned... it could refer to any number of slugs. People would instead say, 'wow, that was a real slug of a commute', because 'slug' and 'commute' are both quantified as singular nouns. But you don't hear people say that, either, because it's much easier to simply say, 'wow, that was a sluggish commute', because that way, 'slug' gets turned into an adjective, and it's much simpler to speak in simple adjective -> noun phrases, than in similes.

Again you demonstrated your failures in the English language. 'Crap', like water and wood, is a mass (non-count) noun rather than an abstract (unquantified) noun, 'slug' is a count (quantifiable) noun. The classification can be found in this grammar site here.

From the same site, but under this link.

When they are generic, non-count nouns and sometimes plural count-nouns are used without articles. "We like wine with our dinner. We adore Baroque music. We use roses for many purposes." But if an "of phrase" comes after the noun, we use an article: "We adore the music of the Baroque." Also, when a generic noun is used without an article and then referred to in a subsequent reference, it will have become specific and will require a definite article: "The Data Center installed computers in the Learning Center this summer. The computers, unfortunately, don't work."

Hence, 'this (article) crap (mass noun) of a (article) movie (count noun)' is a valid phrase. Your interpretation shows a severe lack of understanding in the English language.

And it's pretty damn cowardly to insult someone anonymously. It ensures that you'll never be held accountable for what you've said, ven though it was completely baseless. So go ahead, Mr./Ms. Guest, try to refute what I've said. Nobody will ever know who you are, anyway. rolleyes.gif
Yes, like a forum account with made up personal particulars and a temporary validation email account is to solidify one's identity. Of course, you are called Mr What, no bacon? in your tax forms as well.

Your online personality definitely reflects your actual intellect, that of a liar and an idiot.

QUOTE(Jellybean @ Oct 18 2005, 06:39 PM) [snapback]301428[/snapback]

Yeah, take it elsewhere please. Or at least argue about the movie instead of making personal insults. The thread's going way off topic.

That is definitely agreeable. However the waywardness definitely belongs to your fellow registered forumer who displayed a large lack of decorum in launching off a personal attack laced with vulgarity and lies, and continuing it in futile attempts to salvage his/her treasured online reputation, all without even following the topic at hand.
Carnal Malefactor
If you're gonna reference a rule, at least have the sense to apply it properly, you jackass. In your phrasing, the word "this" is an article modifying "movie", not "crap". In the phrase 'this piece of crap of a movie', the word 'crap' is being quantified by 'piece of', not 'this'.

And don't pretend like there isn't a world of difference between me using an established, traceable online identity [i.e. "What, no bacon?"], to which only I correspond, and your attempt to rattle me with a completely anonymous guest login, to which nobody corresponds. This is me, and everyone knows who I am and how I post. Nobody knows who the hell you are. So until you do get that account validated, don't pretend like we're on equal footing.

And second of all, I never lied. Check the threads about Bones and Continuity in the Japanese Viewers section, if you want evidence.

Finally, if I lashed out, it was because I'm sick of people coming along, not bothering to register, and trying to argue with people, rattling off a string of bullshit, then disappearing without a trace. It's irritating, and it's cowardly, and it shouldn't be happening in a civilized society.

If you want an account of the type of person I am, ask around a bit. I'm sure you'll find that your baseless impression of me is completely wrong.
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 18 2005, 09:31 PM) [snapback]301543[/snapback]

If you're gonna reference a rule, at least have the sense to apply it properly, you jackass. In your phrasing, the word "this" is an article modifying "movie", not "crap". In the phrase 'this piece of crap of a movie', the word 'crap' is being quantified by 'piece of', not 'this'.

Your usage is inappropriate. So when you see dog poop on the ground ahead of you, in your flawed opinion, it is inappropriate to say "Do you see this shit here?" (you would insist "Do you see this pile/piece of shit here?"), or to talk about a glass of water you picked up with "The water looks clear" (you would insist "The glass of water looks clear"? The meaning of "this crap of a movie" was perfectly clear and conveyed to everyone, except to you, in that the subject at hand was a movie culpable of being crap. Quoting the BBC, a message which was conveyed crystally clear, is acceptable (hence sensible) in English.

And don't pretend like there isn't a world of difference between me using an established, traceable online identity [i.e. "What, no bacon?"], to which only I correspond, and your attempt to rattle me with a completely anonymous guest login, to which nobody corresponds. This is me, and everyone knows who I am and how I post. Nobody knows who the hell you are. So until you do get that account validated, don't pretend like we're on equal footing.

No. All humans are equal under the laws given in the States (where this forum is hosted on). Even if you never see someone, he/she is accorded the same rights under the freedom of expression of speech.

And second of all, I never lied. Check the threads about Bones and Continuity in the Japanese Viewers section, if you want evidence.

Prove it, you liar. Prove that http://www.therossman.com/rrr/anime/fullme...emistmovie.html is "THE SAME GODDAMN LINK THAT'S ALREADY BEEN POSTED ON THIS BOARD A DOZEN TIMES".
This forum allows you to point to specific posts, use it to show those 12 posts with the same links.

Finally, if I lashed out, it was because I'm sick of people coming along, not bothering to register, and trying to argue with people, rattling off a string of bullshit, then disappearing without a trace. It's irritating, and it's cowardly, and it shouldn't be happening in a civilized society.

It seems that apparently to you, dissenting opinions to your own are strings of bullshit. More like you are unable to handle contesting opinions with substantiated facts.

If you want an account of the type of person I am, ask around a bit. I'm sure you'll find that your baseless impression of me is completely wrong.

The impression I got from your first and subsequent replies is more than enough to be a firm foundation in the image of your character.
Carnal Malefactor
a ) I was obviously exaggerating when I said 'a dozen', but repeat posts tend to get deleted. I guess yours fell through the cracks.

b ) You couldn't be more wrong about everything you've said to this point. And the fact that your comparative context is totally different from your original one doesn't help your argument one bit.

c ) I'm done arguing with you. Not because of any feeling of defeat, as you'd surely point out, but because we've already done everyone else a disservice by continuing this argument as far as we have.

Later, jackass.
QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 18 2005, 10:03 PM) [snapback]301554[/snapback]

a ) I was obviously exaggerating when I said 'a dozen', but repeat posts tend to get deleted. I guess yours fell through the cracks.

Right, liar. If you wished to exaggerate to make a point, a more plausible term to have been used would be 'hundreds', 'thousands', or even 'dozens', which never state a definite. Even then the responsibility falls upon you to enusre that said posts numbered at least near those ranges. To exaggerate otherwise is simply irrevocably a lie.

Nicely asking a moderator/admin can always confirm whether posts were deleted. Plus, even if there were multiple posts, the first post is left there. So where is that post? The fact remains that you just jumped in without any thought whatsoever to flame others who have differing opinions from yours, and now it backfired on you.

b ) You couldn't be more wrong about everything you've said to this point. And the fact that your comparative context is totally different from your original one doesn't help your argument one bit.

Different? The usage is the same. It is the stubborn you who refuse to acknowledge being possibly incorrect in certain aspects of the rule.

c ) I'm done arguing with you. Not because of any feeling of defeat, as you'd surely point out, but because we've already done everyone else a disservice by continuing this argument as far as we have.

Oh no, unlike you, I never bothered with the concept of victory/defeat in internet arguments (a paraphrased popular saying, winning arguments on the internet is like winning the contest for eating excretement). You could have gone into a discussion of "I disagree with the writer of that article, here's why (explanations/arguments substantiated by fact and reasoning)" and served everyone (including me) better with wider views on the subject (like Jellybeans and Tombow), so that knowledge can be broadened. Instead you have gone on a route that proved to be a big disservice to yourself and your fellow forumers.

Later, jackass.

Way to go preaching about living in a civilized society.
Quistis88
What have we here . . .

AS NICE AS THESE GRAMMAR LESSONS ARE FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE FORUM, THEY WILL STOP HERE. THOUGH THE PRECEDING POSTS HAVE DECENT CONTENT, THE THREAD IS BEING DE-RAILED. CEASE THIS ARGUMENT AND TURN THIS THREAD AROUND, OR YOU CAN CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED.

Thank you for your time.
Syn
Right. *tugs thread back on track* So I finally got around to watching the sub. The ending was almost exactly what I had expected, predictions of which I posted somewhere on this forum back when I first heard about the movie, so I wasn't really surprised about anything. I'm not entirely thrilled with the outcome - I had really only wanted one thing out of it and didn't quite get it - but that's pretty subjective.

As a whole, I'm not impressed. Everything seemed so disjointed at first. I didn't know what was going on, and it took a while for events to actually tie into each other. It just felt so random at first; there wasn't very much depth or background information on anyone or anything. I scanned through this thread (first movie-related thing I've read at all since the movie's release - didn't want to color my vision before I'd even had a chance to see it myself) and it looks like people have already touched on that. At first I simply attributed this to time constraints, but after some thought, I'm not so convinced. It could definitely have been handled better. The show handled greater quantities of information in less time better than this.

I suppose the important thing is that it provided closure to the series, and while I'm personally not too pleased with the outcome, it's certainly better than no closure at all. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it, either, not only for that reason (closure, yay) but also simply in that it's nice to have a chance to see some new FMA material with many of those characters from the series and all that, and to see how they grew up and developed. I don't know. It's hard not to be automatically biased towards the movie since the series is still one of the best shows I've ever seen, but I must admit I'm disappointed. The movie simply lacks the quality of the series.
kaizenyorii
i saw the movie (Canto-sub)

i give it a "C" for reasons that have already been stated (continuity problems etc.). then again, i want to see it again becuase the chinese subs were crap; im not even sure if the subs i had were legit or some illegal mainland china rip.
Moonbase
Hello, all! This is my first post, so please forgive me if I some how offend you all. biggrin.gif

I personally really liked the FMA series, but I feel that the movie fell short of my expectations for basically the same reasons that have been stated above. There were a lot of non-sensical events, in my opinion (i.e. Yes, how DID Gluttony get that big?). Also, I have problems with the ending regarding why Ed had to go through himself and such; I bring this up again because I feel absolutely awful for Winry. She has the be the biggest loser after all is said and done (aside from people who lost their lives).
Tombow
@Moonbase - Nah, your post didn't offend me. I actually agree with lots of what you posted. And, yes I felt sad for Winry, too.

@kaizenyorii - I didn't even know there were Cantonese sub!! Sorry to hear that that one wasn't very good. There is one English sub that has, in my opinion, with excellent subbing job. I hope you can get hold of that one.

And, to you both.. Welcome to our forum! smile.gif
neutronstar
I got this weird feeling that they made this amazing epic masterpiece with good character development with an excellent plot that explained everything clearly and gave everyone a nice feeling of why things ended the way things did, and how the end of the FMA series became the beginning of the FMA movie.

And then someone realised that it was seven hours long and all the good material ended up on a cutting room floor. A lot of it assumed that we knew more than we did. The way they handled the new characters made it feel like we were supposed to've become as close to them as we did with Rose or Hughes or someone with a similar presence, but they didn't get enough screentime to feel like anything more than nice plot devices, but that's just me. Maybe the movie will get an extended DVD version or something.
Guest_Zed_*
Eh I hate posting as a guest, but I cant remember my account or password here (its been that long)

I really thought the movie sucked, and thats harsh of me to say being a huge fan of the Anime and all. Most characters that were on screen had very few or no lines at all. For example, when Wrath was introduced in the movie, he said nothing. Then every time he was on screen, he said nothing. Then finally when the fight with Gluttony happened, he may have had oh - 10 lines - then died.

Also, what the hell happened to Gluttony? He wasn't exactly a mutant with six heads last time we left him. Though - I'm glad they followed up on Envy and how he turned into a dragon while passing through the gate.

But yeah, so many things left unanswer, and so many plotholes left unfilled. It was as-if towards the end they just didn't care anymore. They released a masterpiece of a series and let it all come crashing down at the end, just so they'd never have to deal with it again.

I don't know how to end this rant, but heres a few things that got me:

The Main Enemy - Who the hell was she? And how the hell was she able to use Alchemy "just like that" after entering the gate? Especially at a level that was on par with that of Ed or Al's Alchemy. Why would she gain knowledge of something that took Ed and Al years to learn over the course of oh - five minutes?

Gluttony - ?

Winry - Plot device? "Heres your arm and Leg" and then shes despressed because Ed's gone at the end. Everyone was hoping for some kind of Ed/Winry love interaction - even the slightest. It is in the style of fullmetal alchemist to keep all the mushy love crap at a minimum and I guess you could say they did that, even though some fans arent pleased (I didn't care, I just wondered if it was ever going to happen with the constant "plot suggestions" of the series)

The Other Al - (Backstory/Guess). This Al was suffering from a cough the entire series and was set to die soon. When he coughed up blood I was lead to believe he was more or less facing the same effect as Izumi - only it was Ed's fault. Ed had brought his brother back, perhaps that removed the "Other" Al's organs in order to create Al back in his old world? No elaboration was given though.

Blah blah blah... this could go on forever. Yeah Movie was a 2.5/5 at best.
The Great Asparagus
the movie was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICLY WONDERFULLY SPECTACULARLY MAGNIFICENTLY FABULOUSLY MARVELOUSLY AWESOME!!!!!

well, ppl do say that i'm easily pleased, but yeah. happy.gif the movie was cool. that's all i have to say lol
anime_manga_fan
I rate it good.

But on a scale of 1 - 10, I rate it a 8.5 / 10.

Why? Because I didn't like it how it mostly talked about WWII and the Nazi's and all the other stuff. I thought it just didn't feel Hagaren.

But oh-meh-gawd I love Movie!Aru! He is so adorable! And how he tries to look like his older brother.

The ending did dissapoint me though. There was NO conclusin (sp?) what so ever. Like the brothers got back together and all that jazz, but are they going to even try to get back to the Hagaren world or what?

So many questions unanswered...
Chiyo
I voted for being confused, but I did love the movie and have pre-ordered it (I must love it to pay that much).

I didn't like the ending, there are no real answers especially not for the military. Why does Rose have all those children why is Armstrong there and why are they still with Pinako?

What became of Roy once he had become his old Mustang self?

What the heck are the Elric brothers up to? Are they quite content now they have each other or will they try to get home.

Why the heck was Winry left all alone? Poor girl, bet she feels like a right idiot for waiting all that time.
Red Shadow
I almost wish there was another movie, but I doubt it will come to pass. i understood everything, I was just diappointed that they seemed to leave so many things open-ended. (Especially on the military side of the story. I want to know if Roy and Riza got together darnnit! >.<) For the plotline presented though, it was pretty decent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.