Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kyou Kara Maou
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Omakase Shimasu
Kyo Kara Maoh!, known in Japan as Kyō Kara Maō! (今日から㋮王!?, lit. "Starting Today I'm the Demon King!") original run April, 2004 February, 2009. Directed by Junji Nishimura.
(Source - Wiki)!

List of Characters

Plot Summary: Yuri Shibuya was living a pretty normal life. That changed the day he was dunked into a toilet after an attempt to save a classmate from a gang of bullies. Instead of just getting a good soaking, he's pulled in. The next thing he knows, he's in a world that vaguely resembles medieval Europe. If that's not odd enough, he's told that he is to be the next Maoh, just because he has black hair and black eyes. The Maoh is the King of the Mazoku, who are coexisting not-so-peacefully with the humans in this world. Much to his subjects' dismay, he's totally different from the rulers they're accustomed to. He's kind, considerate, a believer in justice, and not willing to use violence to solve conflicts. Not exactly someone they want running a country on the very brink of war. Now, Yuri has to deal with trying to become a good Maoh, while at the same time attempting to adapt to this lands' customs and culture, all in a world where the tension between the humans and Mazoku is reaching its peak.

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: bishounen, demons, male harem, royalty, shounen-ai
Episodes: 78
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

-------

Anyone know this series? It' pretty new (FMA got fansubbed right after) and already got licensed. While I've only got one ep I'm sold! biggrin.gif

Whaddya expect: it's a spoof on the Mary Sue themes in certain shoujo series (Fushigi Yuugi for example) and focuses mainly on fan-service (shonen-ai between characters *__*) and making one laugh: it reached its goal with flying colors in my opinion! laugh.gif

So anyone seen/heard of it? biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
I, a non-yaoi fan, am guilty of watching this anime... sleep.gif

i don't know, for some reason, i enjoy watching this series. and the yaoi parts are just so funny. maybe it's because yaoi parts are humorous and not serious that i found tolerance in watching it.

plus, the fact that they have a fair number of female characters with such unique personalities that i find this series quite balanced indeed.

wolfram... is a guy, right? i'm still hoping that he's a girl though. but, hehe, what am i saying? this is yaoi anime for crying out loud! ^^;;

i particularly like yuri's mom... she's just so... adorable. she would've been better off with conrad. and i enjoy watching yuri getting "flushed", hahaha. Gunther is just... amusing, especially when he's in perv mode over yuri. so funny.

shocking that i'm watching this, huh? ^^;;
Omakase Shimasu
A True SHOCK. O___O Viki knowing and actually enjoying a shonen-ai series? OK, even though it's a parody, but still! O___O I need time to get over this shock.

OK, yes Wolfram's a boy. biggrin.gif A pretty boy! Every anime needs a pretty boy! And yes, that one episode I saw.. there was this woman (a maid I think) and she rocked. ^___^ I liked her, really liked her. Though my favorite caracter is Gunther, the little sweet! Yush. So, who's your favorite character? Sis is complaining that noone likes Conrad. Maybe you're her savior! ^__~

So, is Conrad your fave?
Chibi Viki
i would have to say... yuuhi's mom is my favorite! hehehe, and yuuhi :,3

sorry for the late reply, i thought nobody replied...

i still haven't seen all the current episodes though.
BlueRakuen
...must...watch... T.T
I can't d/l anything on this comp or else I'll get killed by my sister (she hates anime). I stil d/l FMA episodes but that's an exception ^.^
But... I have to pay 250$ to get the internet back on my comp before I start getting any new series TT.TT
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Sep 28 2004, 07:29 PM)
i would have to say... yuuhi's mom is my favorite! hehehe, and yuuhi :,3

sorry for the late reply, i thought nobody replied...

i still haven't seen all the current episodes though.

laugh.gif No sweat. It doesn't seem to be in-demand right now. It just got licensed too, so I didn't get all the episodes either. *big sigh* I'd love to watch them all though. *__* (I never saw Yuuri's Mom. Drat, she sounds like a nice character! smile.gif)

BlueRakuen, your sister's cruel! How can she not like anime? tongue.gif Hehe, wonder why FMA's an exception, though. Ed, Ed, Ed. biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
Kyou kara maou is also licensed? *sigh* first FMA, then samurai 7, now this... what next, tenjo tenge?

but i'm still surprised that naruto anime hasn't been licensed yet despite its popularity.

anyway, going back to the topic, yeah, yuuri's mom is just so adorable... she's so talkative and innocent, but she's not dumb. i dunno... she's just so cute! XD she and conrad would've made a better pair.

i forgot wolfram's brother's name, but his fiancee is just hilarious! she's an inventor and poor little gunther was her guinea pig laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
About the licensing of KKM it's awful in a way. They also got their hands on Peacemaker Kurogane, right? @__@ It's all going so fast!

Aaaw, Conrad and Yuuri's mother! *__* Conrad deserves someone like her, I'm sure. Although... is Yuuri's mom married? blink.gif I've never heard anything about Yuuri's dad, so....

laugh.gif You mean Gwendel? Wolfram's brother? ....those relationships sure are weird. I mean, Conrad, Wolfram & Gwendel are all brothers... I thought Conrad was Wolfram's father. -__- And Gwendel... I don't see any similarities between these three! Physically, I mean.
Chibi Viki
they recently showed yuuhi's dad... he's like the older version of yuuhi... the funny thing is, on one of their dates (yuuhi's parents), his dad told his mom that he was the Maou/demon king... the normal reaction would be to laugh, but yuuhi's mom went all excited asking about him being a demon king and his servants and all! she's just so cute! yuuhi doen't want to tell her about him being the new maou cuz he didn't want her to be shocked or something, but apparently she already knows about it... about his dad being a maou...

i also loved PM kurogane... it's just too funny to pass! did you know that Akesato's VA is also Riza Hawkeye's VA? and that Suzumu's VA is Cloud Strife's VA in the Advent Children VA?

what id din't like about PMK is how abruptly it ended... there really wasn't any plot...

want another surprise? my favorite character is... OKITA!! NYAY! And Ayu-neesan (T_T why did they have to... T_T...)
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif;; Actually I haven't seen anything of PC (yet!!). It got licensed and pulled off the Internet before I could get my hands on the subs. *big sigh* I really wanted them though, because it reminded me of Rurouni Kenshin. Gotta love those samurais, no? biggrin.gif Oh! And the artwork's really good. *__* Come to think of it... wasn't it one of BONES' series as well? O_o
Chibi Viki
i dont remember if it was bones' work... but never mind the story (it's crap anyway)... just focus on the humor and you'll be fine. i've finished it already and went, "HUH? WTF?" in the end... but i enjoyed watching the series very much, especially okita and his antics. he's just so cute! yaoi was only implied in the end... but okita was definitely portrayed as gay. but, hehehe, as i said, yaoi only implied in the end. he was just being feminine...
Omakase Shimasu
Okita, Okita... isn't he the one in the white robes? Who teaches.. Kurogane (that's the main character, right?) the "ways of the katana"? biggrin.gif I thought he was a girl at first. Reminded me of Miss Kaoru.
Chibi Viki
actually that's the question... just what is "Kurogane Peacemaker" anyway? they never really explained it. Ryoma Sakamoto, another politcal activist who is pro-foreigner, kept calling Tetsunosuke's, or tetsu for short,(the main character) dad, the Peacemaker. there are two possible explanations:

a). since, apparently, Tatsunosuke (tetsu's older brother), knows how to hold a gun, indicates that his father may have taught him how to use one. a peacemaker is a type of gun (if you played ff7, vincent valentine's ultimate weapon, i think, is the peacemaker).

B ). peacemaker since he was like a diplomat for japan and america since he's fluent in english.

kurogane... it was supposed to be explained in the end, but no one gave a direct answer.

okita is that really cute girly samurai who is supposed to be the #1 samurai in the shinsen gumi second only to hijakata. if you look his name up in japanese history books, you'll find his name along with hijikata and saitou hajime. he died of illness, tuberculosis, i think (he keeps on coughing out blood)
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif Vincent's Peacemaker! Yes, yes I know of it. -___- Never managed to get it though...

Peacemaker, the anime, sounds complicated... @__@ Um, is there a manga version?
Chibi Viki
it's not complicated really...it's supposed to be, but they really didn't explain it. most episodes are just fun... especially that ep where tetsu was feeling depressed and okita thought of a good plan to get his energy back.

so, one day, okita, knowing that the big and scary 2nd in command, hijikata, was a frustrated poet writing haikus that sounded really stupid under a pen name, took his poetry/haiku notebook and showed it to tetsu.

hijikata found out that it was missing and came to only one conclusion... okita took it. upon discovery, okita passed the notebook to tetsu and held down hijikata to give him a good head start.

when hijikata finally got away from okita... OMG! RUN TETSU!!! RUN AWAY FROM THE BLOOD THRISTY MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!! it was so funny! tetsu had unintentionally got a few innocent bystanders (some of their colleagues) involved.

apparently, this was okita's idea of rejuvenating tetsu's energy... but of course, he had a little fun himself and doodled in hijakata's notebooks.

laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif You're right, it sounds like fun. smile.gif I always thought it was pretty serious most of the time. Maybe because of the gloomy colors. The few AMVs I've seen of it used pretty bloody and gloomy scenes...

Argh, another anime to add to my growing list of "Anime I still need to see". *big sigh*
Chibi Viki
btw, did you know that peacemaker kurogane is also from gangan square enix? hehehe, the same as FMA.
Omakase Shimasu
No kidding? biggrin.gif Uh.... What's gangan mean? biggrin.gif;;;
Chibi Viki
gangan is the name of the magazine... i dunno what it means though...
Omakase Shimasu
ohmy.gif Square also does magazines... Multi-tasking. biggrin.gif Ehehe... this doesn't have to do anything with KKM anymore, does it? rolleyes.gif We did it again.
Chibi Viki
oh yeah... but, then again, it's been only the two of us lately so...

anyway, from what i heard, it's enix who does the magazine, anime and comic publishing. square only became involved after the merger.

hmmm... for some reason, i couldn't bare to watch my current KKM episodes that i haven't even seen before... it must be the FMA ep 51 hype...
Omakase Shimasu
Oooh, I can understand. Even though I haven't watched that particular ep yet. Waiting for the fansubbed version. biggrin.gif ....still. It's finished. Kinda... sad really. Now we really [only] have the Movie and manga to look forward to.

Hehe, about the "two of us".. t's been happening a lot with me lately. tongue.gif Almost as if I scare everybody off except the person I'm talking to at the moment. laugh.gif
Chibi Viki
happens to me also... well, used to. it depends on the subject we're talking about though. maybe only the two of us know kyou kara maou?
Omakase Shimasu
Hmm, possible. But it's too bad since it's a lovely series! Even if you don't like the shonen-ai themes, you can still enjoy the story. I mean, you're the living proof, Viki. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
actually... i enjoyed the humor... i didn't really pay attention to the story since it was already giving me a headache. happy.gif;;
Omakase Shimasu
Oh 's okay, cause I have to admit, I did too when I asked about the storyline. Very complicated, to say the least... @__@ The humor's great though, from the 1 ep I've managed to view. biggrin.gif

But you didn't mind the shonen-ai much, right?
Chibi Viki
so far, the shonen-ai-ness was all for fun. there were moments between yuuhi and wolfram, but they weren't much... just wolfram worried over yuuhi. when gunther is worried, it's comedy. when conrad is worried, it's fatherly. when wolfram is worried, it looks more like being a friend than romantic.

the pervy scenes were also yaoi-humor. plus the addition of female cast also comforted me. i haven't seen the entire series yet, but this is what i could say about the episodes i've seen so far.
Kihaku
Hope it's not late... well, but I decided to reply anyway since I love this series biggrin.gif
I have seen 21 episodes uptill now(and waiting for the next fansubs) and although I get this "what about the plot?" feeling, it's still interesting and great. I guess it keeps me a bit in anticipation, because I can't seem to get a clue about where the story is heading...quite original, funny and has lovable characters..mostly male though.
I actually like shonen-ai, so that wouldn't be a bother (not that this series has much anyway) and Yuuri and Wolfram are soooo cute together. In genral I don't fancy yaoi pairings(now I accept them, although before I was quite against), but this series almost forces people to imagine them.
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif Great, this thread isn't lost yet! Although, I'm quite envious you've seen all the eps. >__>

...well, at least it opened your eyes to accept pairings other than straight ones. tongue.gif And about that "Plot, what plot", guess it's what they intended from the start. biggrin.gif Just a shameless parody, all about fluffy fun.
RoyxRiza BigFan
after reading the newtype mag jap version on this anime..i was disappointed at the lack of hot babes..although there were some..but thats not enough...;______;
Omakase Shimasu
Aaaaww, I'm sorry. X3 The humor wasn't enough to interest you, though?
Chibi Viki
i guess this series would be difficult for guys to appreciate. i'm sure if i lend this to my guy friends, they'd freak out as soon as they see gunther drooling over yuuhi.
RoyxRiza BigFan
the blond male looks like quatre
Chibi Viki
you mean wolfram? i like his name... wolfram... but my favorite character would be, so far, yuuhi's mom... she's just sooo adorable in a non-irritating way.
Kihaku
Yay, it's alive again! Oh well anyway... I had already accepted shonen ai and stuff like that before Kyou Kara Maou!... around the time I read the first volume of FAKE.. I suppose, but anyway anime/manga like that in general has actually helped me to look at things from a different point of view. I like them now instead of just acknowledging that they have to be accepted.
And about guys liking KKM... I think it depends on the guy. The shonen ai is just so innocent that it's hardly there, but I could imagine my gay-hater brother freaking out at the sight of a small hint in that direction. I kind of see this anime aimed for young girls, but I wouldn't find it strange if an older guy watched it. My favourite character at the moment is Wolfram(so cute), but Yuuri is great too.
Anyway now I've seen 22 episodes and still am waiting for the next one(hope subs will be available). The plot is what it is, but I wonder how it will end... there are supposed to be quite a few episodes left.
Omakase Shimasu
Have to agree with both Viki and Kihaku, individual preferences and all. I think it's just like Weiss, or something. All kinds of bishounen running around, assassinating in the night. It attracts both female and male audiences, although women would sooner feel attratced to it.

smile.gif That's one of the best things about shows like that (manga/anime/cartoons), everybody can enjoy them.

OK, I'm talking nonsense right now.... <__<
ryuuko
hmm kyou kar maou~ what a great anime! love it! loyal fan! i like conrad so much better then wolfram (gosh so weird to type their name this way), i like yuuri with conrad biggrin.gif, but i like maou too~ hot!
trying to read the novel, it's hard >_< coudln't find the volume after 1~ but it's so much faster watching the anime... can't wait until next episode~ conrad looks so SUGOI when he had long hair~ yumm!
Kihaku
Okay mental note: Got to see Weiss Kreuz
And I so envy you, ryuuko if you're able to understand the original novel(and to purchase it)... I always seem to like the original more.. I wonder if the plot is the same or not. Someone should make/draw a manga series too.
Huh... Conrad with long hair???? Come on episode...
Chibi Viki
i actually thought Conrad was Yuuhi's dad at first... btw, i'm a non-yaoi fan, so it's kinda strange that i'm here, huh? i'm still not into it, but this series just made me laugh so much sometimes and the yaoi isn't that, uhm, deep... so far... i'm still hesistant to watch all episodes though (since it's not really my priority right now... fma, samurai 7 and bleach being at the top of my list...)
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Oct 26 2004, 08:43 AM)

@Kihaku: X3 Weiss Kreuz? If you do, don't forget to read the manga either. It's beautiful and tells the story of how they met, kinda like an introduction. *__* (it got scanlated since it's not licensed yet - worth checking it out! RIGHT NOW!!)

@ryuuko:Wow, you've got a novel of Kyou Kara Maou?? O.O I gotta read it! It isn't scanlated though? T_T

@Viki: I thought the world was coming to an end when I saw your post (very first reply to the thread even!!). tongue.gif Just goes to show everyone can enjoy the series, even non-yaoi fans. Right? wink.gif
ryuuko
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Oct 28 2004, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Oct 26 2004, 08:43 AM)

@Kihaku: X3 Weiss Kreuz? If you do, don't forget to read the manga either. It's beautiful and tells the story of how they met, kinda like an introduction. *__* (it got scanlated since it's not licensed yet - worth checking it out! RIGHT NOW!!)

@ryuuko:Wow, you've got a novel of Kyou Kara Maou?? O.O I gotta read it! It isn't scanlated though? T_T

@Viki: I thought the world was coming to an end when I saw your post (very first reply to the thread even!!). tongue.gif Just goes to show everyone can enjoy the series, even non-yaoi fans. Right? wink.gif

it is scanslation, well, this chinese forum i am in they have the novel up and planning to translate it
Omakase Shimasu
Great news. *__* ....Chinese forum? Um, you mean they translate it from Chinese to English, I hope? ^ ^;;
Kihaku
Hah, just seen the first episode of Weiss Kreuz... seems pretty interesting.. and since it isn't licensed...where could I get scanlations?
Oh... and I have to read the novel of KKM... but what is with the "scanlated"? It is a novel... right? I hope it is translated soon...please tell us then when that happens! And yeah.. I hope too that it will be in English...
Omakase Shimasu
@Kihaku: biggrin.gif Try this site for the Weiss Kreuz scans and translations. ^ ^;; Sorry, no scanlations available yet - this'll have to do for now.

Seriously I had no idea Kyou Kara Maou had a manga. blink.gif I thought it was just a spoof, something just for fun... oh. #-___-# Oops.
Kihaku
Thanks! Didn't get though how it works... but anyway...
Manga? I don't think it has... I mean it's based on a novel... book series. If there is a manga, that's new to me. That's why I was so confused about the scanlations. I assumed it was about a book.
Omakase Shimasu
Oh, oops. ^ ^;; My mistake, I linked the wrong adress. This should be it. Just go to the manga section and select the second one from the left An Assassin and White Shaman. Sorry again!

A novel of KKM sounds more likely, yes. biggrin.gif
Kihaku
Oh... so that's how it was...And I was kind of wondering how to get to the manga section...
Anyway... thanks again!
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif No problem. Glad to help.
Kihaku
I decided to revive the thread (again:P)
hmm.. it went on times off topic *looks at own previous posts* Eh.. but I hope there are KKM fans still out there! wink.gif
Anyway.. I'm now myself up to ep 28 (and currently waiting for more) and I was suprised how the feeling of the series suddenly changed in the last couple of eps...
It was funny and easy going... now serious and angsty??? Although there is still humour in it.. I hope it becomes a little more positive although I kind of like it how it is now too..
To revise...
favourite character: Wolfram
favourite pairing:WolframxYuuri or Wolfram/Yuuri

Yup! So you people are still watching the series, right????
Omakase Shimasu
Thanks for reviving the thread, my dear. biggrin.gif (I completely forgot about this one ^^;;)

T__T I'm sorry to say this, but I haven't been able to get my hands on those DVDs... I've still only seen one ep. Angsty, you say?!? ph34r.gif

Just for the record, then wink.gif :
Favorite character: Gunther
Favorite pairing: Gwendel x Gunther

*does double take* Wolfram x Yuuri?!? *______* That wasn't just a typo, right?? You honestly meant Wolfram on top?? I could kiss you!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.