Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reincarnation
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Willow
Does anyone believe in reincarnation..? Or believe that they had a past life of some sort..?
zombie
no i dont believe in reincarnation or past life.
i do believe something happends but not that.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I believe in reincarnation.

I always suspected I was an old soul becasue even as a little kid I was a bit of a curmudgeon. laugh.gif Reincarnation always made the most sense to me, even before I became a Buddhist. I guess because I thought the afterlife would run out of room.
mongooseboi
nope i find it hard to believe that at one point, i could have been an insect who lived a good life and reincarnated into a human. my parents are both buddhists, and i agree with most principles like what goes around comes around, but reincarnation is hard for me to support.
Excel Aishi
Hmmm. i have to say it sounds like a good theory to me, and i beleive in it. But then I beleive in a bit of everything... I suppose, when you die, you have a choice what you want to do. And god, or buddha, or amon ra, or ANYONE you beleive in (i think that they are all there and just agree not to interfere in each others business) takes you to the side and says, " So, you have been a good little boy or girl , what do you want to do now?" My theories are knida odd, though, see i'm not directly religious or atheist. I'm just not anything. But i believe in everything, be it Hindu or Shinto or Christian or Jewish or ... it's just up to which one an individual wants to beleive in.

I think, also, that i could have had a past life, but i don't claim to know which one it was. And if, when i die, i get pulled to the side and asked what i want to do now, i would like to be reincarnated. It would be pretty good. wink.gif
dragonofchaos
i believe in Rencarnation and that i had several past lives
DarkBlade_Alchemist
Hell yea! I think everyone has a past live (or 2) i think i'm from china or japan, cuz i'm fasinated with all that they do.
Willow
Okay.. so some people do actually believe in reincarnation besides me! biggrin.gif Awesome! I believed that I might have been someone who was japanese or chinese because I'm interested in their culture and stuff. ^^
Excel Aishi
What does everyone think their past life may have been? I wish i had memories of mine. All i can go by is dreams... dreams of monsters and rape, of darkness and losing control and the world is always being overrun by someting in my dream... ( Whoops! Sorry! I am getting all deep and thoughtful on myself there.)
Willow
I wouldn't mind having dreams about my past life.. it would be quite interesting to see who I was before I was born into this life.. v.v To bad I can't dream about that sort of stuff.
Berserker Alchemist
Umm...actually i do.

I love stuff like this! (Meanings of dreams, fortune telling, etc) And once i was told by a man that i am a reicanation of a blacksmith...><;
Willow
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 24 2005, 11:02 AM)
Umm...actually i do.

I love stuff like this! (Meanings of dreams, fortune telling, etc) And once i was told by a man that i am a reicanation of a blacksmith...><;
[snapback]225301[/snapback]

Really? XD
Berserker Alchemist
Yeah...@_@; But eh...me loves being a blacksmith. laugh.gif
Willow
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 25 2005, 08:22 AM)
Yeah...@_@; But eh...me loves being a blacksmith.  laugh.gif
[snapback]225759[/snapback]

Lol.. that's awesome to be a blacksmith in your formal life! xD
ἀρχή
I don't believe in reincarnation, but then again, what I do believe, is still hard to actually philosophically justify. I mean, how do you determine the identity of the soul after death!? Oh, Thomas Aquinas, why did you fail me?
FMAlchemistChan
I didn't believe in past lives and reincarnation until I saw the Battle City arc in Yu-Gi-Oh I guess some of us could really be reincarnations of Egyptian Pharaohs, High Priests, High Priestesses, royalty of any sort or anybody else in the past.
Berserker Alchemist
My cousin's past life was actually a servant for the Egyptian Tutakamin (Sp?)
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 27 2005, 09:39 AM)
[snapback]228653[/snapback]

ph34r.gif ok.. explain?
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 27 2005, 11:39 AM)

Blasphemy! *splashes holy water on face and hears sizzling*

QUOTE(arche @ Jul 26 2005, 06:06 AM)
I don't believe in reincarnation, but then again, what I do believe, is still hard to actually philosophically justify. I mean, how do you determine the identity of the soul after death!? Oh, Thomas Aquinas, why did you fail me?

Random Factoid: That was the name of the church I was baptized in. St. Thomas Aquinas' church in Philly ^^

I do not believe in reincarnation. I am a common after life kind of guy. Though, sometimes I wonder if we even have a thing that we call souls. What makes a human so special? We are the cruelest things on this planet. We don't deserve eternal life... Well, humanity in general anyway.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
What makes you think only humans have souls?
Slashrose1010
Well, most people believe that, and I don't. Thus, I am a vegetarian :3 I guess plants and stuff have some kind of spiritual properties. They do bring life after all by feeding us and animals. Haha, all this talk of souls and FF7 reminds me of the Lifestream. That is kind of what I think, but not quite...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Yeah! It's just like the lifestream! laugh.gif

Christians believe that only humans have souls but buddhism and other faiths that believe in reincarntion believe that all animals have souls. I've never heard of anyone who believes that plants do though.
Aiken
QUOTE(DarkBlade_Alchemist @ Jul 23 2005, 12:02 AM)
Hell yea! I think everyone has a past live (or 2) i think i'm from china or japan, cuz i'm fasinated with all that they do.
[snapback]223795[/snapback]

me too, i'm thinking i was actually a japanese person, strangely someone important in my most loved hobby died about 9 months and 2 days before my birth!
Berserker Alchemist
Eek! My skin!! Im melting....im melting...oh what a world, what a world!! XD

*coughs* Anywho...@Fresh Coffee: What is it that you want meh to explain?
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 27 2005, 07:10 PM)
Eek! My skin!! Im melting....im melting...oh what a world, what a world!! XD

*coughs* Anywho...@Fresh Coffee: What is it that you want meh to explain?
[snapback]229291[/snapback]

Excatly how your friend is the reincarnation of a famous pharaoh.
Berserker Alchemist
He said that his uncle told him about his past life through the dream diary he kept. I keep one too...but i only have 3 dreams a week.
Celestial Shadow
I believe in it somewhat...All these RPGs and anime have taken a toll on me. I believe it may be possible in some cases, if God makes it that way...So I guess I kind of half believe but still am Christian.
Berserker Alchemist
Oh thats right...the bible says that you can't be reincarnated huh?
Last_one
QUOTE(FMAlchemistChan @ Jul 26 2005, 07:13 PM)
I didn't believe in past lives and reincarnation until I saw the Battle City arc in Yu-Gi-Oh I guess some of us could really be reincarnations of Egyptian Pharaohs, High Priests, High Priestesses, royalty of any sort or anybody else in the past.
[snapback]227479[/snapback]

Ok, I dont know where to start with this one, but all I have to say is"Why are you getting your belifies from a cartoon, go find something real to base belifeifs off.

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jul 27 2005, 09:27 PM)
Yeah! It's just like the lifestream! laugh.gif

Christians believe that only humans have souls but buddhism and other faiths that believe in reincarntion believe that all animals have souls. I've never heard of anyone who believes that plants do though.
[snapback]229019[/snapback]

Also, not all christians belive just humans have souls. I am one, and I will tell you I belive they have souls.

QUOTE(Aiken @ Jul 27 2005, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE(DarkBlade_Alchemist @ Jul 23 2005, 12:02 AM)
[snapback]223795[/snapback]

me too, i'm thinking i was actually a japanese person, strangely someone important in my most loved hobby died about 9 months and 2 days before my birth!
[snapback]229022[/snapback]

If, I were to base what nationality I was cause of my intrest, I would say either Irish, scotish and or greek. But unfortunatly there is a flay in this idea. One is what if that is just your intrest now, intrest change over time. Or what if in your past life you were just intrested in japan two.

Now for my veiw on the idea. I think reincarnation is a form of maybe pergatory, were if you were not good enough to goto heaven, nor bad enough for hell. You do life over again.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Last_one @ Jul 28 2005, 07:17 AM)

Also, not all christians belive just humans have souls. I am one, and I will tell you I belive they have souls.

Really?

I've never met a Christian who believed that animals also have souls. I used to be a Christian myself and would go round and round on the subject with the other people at my church.

Now for my veiw on the idea. I think reincarnation is a form of maybe pergatory, were if you were not good enough to goto heaven, nor bad enough for hell. You do life over again.
[snapback]230039[/snapback]

That is an interesting idea, one I never thought of as a Christian. In alot of religions that believe in reincarnation it is believed that instead of going to heaven or hell, the way you live your life decides on wether you come back as a human or as a bug. Me, I'd like to come back as a dolphin.

However, there are sects of buddhism that believe in a heaven and hell. The one I'm currently studying does not so I cannot elaborate on that except for instead of being in the afterlife for all eternity you are there for a short time, like 10,000 years.
Last_one
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jul 28 2005, 04:53 PM)

Really?

I've never met a Christian who believed that animals also have souls. I used to be a Christian myself and would go round and round on the subject with the other people at my church.

[snapback]230039[/snapback]

That is an interesting idea, one I never thought of as a Christian. In alot of religions that believe in reincarnation it is believed that instead of going to heaven or hell, the way you live your life decides on wether you come back as a human or as a bug. Me, I'd like to come back as a dolphin.

However, there are sects of buddhism that believe in a heaven and hell. The one I'm currently studying does not so I cannot elaborate on that except for instead of being in the afterlife for all eternity you are there for a short time, like 10,000 years.
[snapback]230111[/snapback]

Dolphin's are Pimp. But yah that was your church, there are loads of differnt christian churches. Also, I think it is the Chines sect of buddisum that beleivens hell and heaven. I was thinking of becomeing budist but I cant find anything about it where I live. You have any tips to help me out?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I recommend a web search. I don't know what the area you live in is like but you might find something online that could help you find something in your area. Do you know what kind of buddhism you want to study?

Also, I recommend a book called Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner, it's an excellent book on buddhism and puts a whole new spin on it.

He also has a website you may want to check out.

http://www.hardcorezen.org/

After reading his book I'm more inclinded to follow the independent, for lack of better word, style of buddhism than the more organized style I've been studying.
Last_one
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jul 28 2005, 08:29 PM)
I recommend a web search. I don't know what the area you live in is like but you might find something online that could help you find something in your area. Do you know what kind of buddhism you want to study?

Also, I recommend a book called Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner, it's an excellent book on buddhism and puts a whole new spin on it.

He also has a website you may want to check out.

http://www.hardcorezen.org/

After reading his book I'm more inclinded to follow the independent, for lack of better word, style of buddhism than the more organized style I've been studying.
[snapback]230418[/snapback]

Ok awsome thanks.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 28 2005, 04:22 AM)
[snapback]229935[/snapback]

I don't know really...Probably.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
I think I was probably Japanese or I lived in the Middle Ages during the Witch Hunts. My mom told me a tarot card reader told her she used to live in the colonial ages.
Forgot who asked about finding out about your past lives. There are skilled psychologists who can do a transgression. The transgression makes you recall old memories and even memories of your past lives. Although it does cost alot of money to have one done. You can also do tarot cards or palm readings to find out.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I've thought about having that done but I'm not sure if I trust any of those people. They could just take my money and tell me I'm the reincarnation of Belle Starr or something.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
ohmy.gif Oh, I forgot to mention something about the reincarnation. Each time you reincarnate, you're joined by the people you met/ were related to in your previous life.
Laffe
yepp i belive in reincarnation, i belive our soul wil be reborn with a new boddy, but i think that our memmorys will be deleted, so that we cant remmber our past life

but that is what i think.
StrawberryShampoo
I do believe in reincarnation...in fact i'm pretty sure i was either a Witch or a dictator (don't ask). In fact, people have even told me i have the typical signs of being a witch.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
@ Envy's lil' miniskirt:
Yeah, I probably wouldn't trust anyone. Although my mother's friend paid for a transgression and had her husband video tape the session just to make sure the psychologist wouldn't make stuff up. I watched the tape and she said really strange things like her daughter (now) was her mother in her last life. blink.gif

@ StrawberryShampoo:
I think I was probably a witch too. I'm interested in anything that has magic and I read spell books in the library. Although, I shouldn't be 'believing' in anything like that considering I'm Christian. Now my dad keeps a close watch on what I buy/checkout. ph34r.gif
Berserker Alchemist
Yay witches!!! ^___^ Too bad...i wish i was more than a blacksmith...;__;
StrawberryShampoo
Berserker... I'm sorry that your just a blacksmith (though i think it's a cool job), but hey, at least you didn't get burned at the stake.....**sigh**
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Hey don't knock blacksmithing, it's a useful profession.
StrawberryShampoo
I know....that's why i said I thought it was cool job..... So many people's lives would have been harder if it was not for Blacksmiths
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Jul 29 2005, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE(Berserker Alchemist @ Jul 28 2005, 04:22 AM)
[snapback]229935[/snapback]

I don't know really...Probably.
[snapback]230989[/snapback]

Christian theology typically asserts the unaltered identity of the soul after death, which makes reincarnation impossible.

It's strange that I find the christian identity of the soul after death more enjoyable than reincarnation. Actually reincarnation asserts a type of identity of the soul after death, but the sould becomes reorganized and re-inserted into the world. Makes me think of Plato's concept of being ripped from the comfort of the world of ideas to become a person again. In ancient philosophy, there were many who were happy when belief systems that didn't allow for reincarnation came about. Reincarnation causes so much angst. Personally I'd rather be a materialist than a reincarnationist. Reincarnation is depressing and causes much angst sad.gif
Willow
Hmm.. I sort of have a theory about reincarnation:

Like the other day I asked my mom what she thinks about reincarnation and she says that she may think that reincarnation keeps recurring because the soul has not accomplished what it wants to do. So the soul keeps reincarnating itself until the soul has accomplished something and then goes up to heaven. Does that make any sense to you..? o_O
StrawberryShampoo
yes, actually it makes a lot of sense (to me at least) i think it's a good theory.
MeLRizA
totally no idea... i've read some books which records some reincarnations... there was a girls who was featured there, she reincarnated about 20X... but im not sure if itx true... i wonder who am i in my past life... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.