Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
gunslinger alchemist
oki doki sorry (lost)Know of any forums dealing with Hypothetical questions right off the bat? I seem to be coming up with those the most....
Edamame
Gunslinger Alchemist: You might want to try out the FMA Character thread where you can discuss just about every aspect of the FMA characters. (They seem to discuss a lot of hypothetical questions there.) For example, if you have a hypothetical question about what Roy Mustang likes to eat try tracking a thread that is targeted at Roy Mustang. Try not to make a new thread to ask your question, unless you think that it will create a great deal of discussion.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
@ Gunslinger, that's ok! smile.gif But, for the record, yes I could. biggrin.gif

@ Fullmetal Dick-Wad - Ok, seriously? The only two things I can think of are one of the books from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a Kurt Vonnegut book! XD I give up. smile.gif

Well, back on topic, anyone have any questions, or anything that they'd like to clarify? smile.gif
gunslinger alchemist
YAY! someone answered that question! Now it doesn't matter if my new forum get's locked.
first draft of anything is "crap" anyway... ^0^
Tombow
QUOTE(river chaser alchemist @ Jul 25 2007, 10:36 AM) *
Hey, I've got a question. On episode three, Al is talking about how when they were younger and it's showing you when they were little, well on one, you see Edward and Alphonse standing in front of a tree, while Ed has a knife in his hand (I think he looks like he is crying). Now here's my question, what are the doing?

@river chaser alchemist - I moved your question about Al in episode 3, and Edamame's answer to FMA Anime episode content Q&A thread. smile.gif
Arsid
I'm back, the guy who made about 3 pages of this thread a while back biggrin.gif

I have three questions

1.) How come Ed got so pissed off when he figured out the Stone took humans to make. I mean he was searching to find one not make one...

2.) What was with Scar taking the words of the paper and looking into them in a ball of energy...first of all it was the cookbook code things so he wouldn't know what it meant and also Scar is just supposed to destroy things not do weird alchemic things with words...

3.) What was Lust, Gluttony, and Envy's original plan with Ed that they kept talking about. Like how he was needed for their plan to work.

if someone could puts the answers next to the numbers of the questions it would help me see what is what biggrin.gif
Edamame
1. Ed came to the realisation that in order to create the Philosopher's stone, he would have to sacrafice hundreds (perhaps thousands) of innocent lives. Ed, having a high code of morals, is not about to sacrafice an entire town in order to return both his body and the body of his younger brother to their original form. Ed believes that sacraficing the lives of numerous people in order to create the The Philospher's Stone in order to get his brother's body back and his own missing limbs back is immoral and selfish. We see this come into action when Ed is given the change to create The Philospher's Stone by sacraficing the lives of prisoners. Although they are prisoners who have most likely murdered other people, Ed cannot even sacrafice their lives because they are human-beings who have lived and suffered as he has. As you will see in latter episodes, Ed has a very strong set of morals/ethics and a pretty "wide" definition of what it means to be a human.

2. Personally, I just thought that was purely for affect. However, if anybody could explain that, I would be interested to know why myself.

3. Lust, Gluttony, and Envy were talking about the plan to use Ed to make The Philospher's stone. Their plan almost suceeds in lab five where Ed debated whether or not to sacrafice the lives of prisoners in order to create the philospher's stone.

<Took out the accidental double posts. ^^ 09/16/07 ~Tombow>
ehxhfdl14
QUOTE(Edamame @ Sep 18 2007, 10:08 AM) *
1. Ed came to the realisation that in order to create the Philosopher's stone, he would have to sacrafice hundreds (perhaps thousands) of innocent lives. Ed, having a high code of morals, is not about to sacrafice an entire town in order to return both his body and the body of his younger brother to their original form. Ed believes that sacraficing the lives of numerous people in order to create the The Philospher's Stone in order to get his brother's body back and his own missing limbs back is immoral and selfish. We see this come into action when Ed is given the change to create The Philospher's Stone by sacraficing the lives of prisoners. Although they are prisoners who have most likely murdered other people, Ed cannot even sacrafice their lives because they are human-beings who have lived and suffered as he has. As you will see in latter episodes, Ed has a very strong set of morals/ethics and a pretty "wide" definition of what it means to be a human.

2. Personally, I just thought that was purely for affect. However, if anybody could explain that, I would be interested to know why myself.

3. Lust, Gluttony, and Envy were talking about the plan to use Ed to make The Philospher's stone. Their plan almost suceeds in lab five where Ed debated whether or not to sacrafice the lives of prisoners in order to create the philospher's stone.

Well, I think Edamame(lolz @ name XD) got everything...I personally think that the 'sphere of words' thing was another one of the numerous plot holes the anime has ;-; It is pretty dramatic, though.
(slightly off topic: I never got the 'not using even a pre-made Philosopher's Stone' thing. I mean, they're already dead! Or maybe I just have a...different set of moral values from most others o-O?)

*cough* by the way, I couldn't help but notice some spelling errors...like 'realisation'(realization), 'sacrafice'(sacrifice) and 'Philospher's Stone' (Philosopher's Stone). Um...could you correct that? Thank you^-^;;;;;;
Arsid
but why would ed freak out about it. i thought that currently in their time there was a stone already made. why don't they just find that...
Claudius
but why would ed freak out about it. i thought that currently in their time there was a stone already made. why don't they just find that...

That's what they have been looking for the last four years, with no cigar. It's possible to assume such a stone doesn't really exist, leaving Marcoh's cookbook as the true source.

QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Sep 18 2007, 04:34 PM) *
(slightly off topic: I never got the 'not using even a pre-made Philosopher's Stone' thing. I mean, they're already dead! Or maybe I just have a...different set of moral values from most others o-O?)

You have a different set of morals. Say you're a scientist working on a discovery. You find out there's some valuable research done in Germany. However, you find out the studies came from Nazi experiments on concentration camp victims (men, women, and children). Do you think it ethical to use these unethical studies for your research, however important they might be? ("Special thanks to the Holocaust, for without its occurrance this study could not exist"). Likewise, Edward would find it wrong to use a Philosopher Stone that stole a thousand lives in its creation.
Incidently (spoilers to episode 50 and the movie),
considering the anime's idea that Alchemy is powered by the dead souls of the real world, Ed would shirk his powers on similar grounds (which could be a reason why he returned to the real world)
ehxhfdl14
QUOTE(Claudius @ Sep 19 2007, 03:54 PM) *
QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Sep 18 2007, 04:34 PM) *

You have a different set of morals. Say you're a scientist working on a discovery. You find out there's some valuable research done in Germany. However, you find out the studies came from Nazi experiments on concentration camp victims (men, women, and children). Do you think it ethical to use these unethical studies for your research, however important they might be? ("Special thanks to the Holocaust, for without its occurrance this study could not exist"). Likewise, Edward would find it wrong to use a Philosopher Stone that stole a thousand lives in its creation.
Incidently (spoilers to episode 50 and the movie),
considering the anime's idea that Alchemy is powered by the dead souls of the real world, Ed would shirk his powers on similar grounds (which could be a reason why he returned to the real world)

I don't believe in moral absolutism- asking if I think that it would be ethical or unethical is irrelevant. And yes, I would use the data. What's happened is past. Would I have used the prisoners to make the stone if I was in Ed's place? Maybe. If I was certain that I could use it for my purposes, then certainly. They were to be executed anyways by others' hands if not mine.
Perhaps that sounds a bit coldhearted. But that's just what I believe in.
I do, however, object to doing things like Tucker has done.

Brief spellcheck: occurrance- occurrence Incidently- incidentally

I apologize for leading this off-track. If anyone has questions or additional answers/comments, feel free.
koohii_fiend
...I know I'm supposed to know this...My head, it hangs shamefully in shamefulness.

In 30-31, when Lab 5 gets blown up, Greed is unsealed, and Al is still angsting over whether or not he is real...

Do we ever actually SEE Greed and the chimeras introduce themselves to Kimbley? My recall is fuzzy on how that happened/if it really did.

(And, eh. I'd use them; they're already dead and I can't fix that. I don't think I'd make MORE stones, but using up what other people have already slaughtered isn't too much different from, say, eating a hamburger. Chances are, YOU didn't butcher that cow and grind it up yourself. NOM NOM NOM anyways. But I'm not easily dissuaded from stuff I want...Favorite character? Not an accident. ;p )
Celeste Nayamashii
Well, first thing you've got the episodes wrong. The lab 5 events take place in eps 20-22. 22 is when Lab 5 gets blown up. If I recall we don't actually get to see Kimbley introduced to Greed and the chimeras, but I think Kimbley knows about them and finds them on his own, truth be told. It's really hard to say. I should probably go back, watch them and re-jog my memory lol
Ryuichi_Taisa
well... something's kinda confusing me... it's about the National Alchemists...
it's like this :
National Alchemists will have a rank similar to a Major (that is what i heard about Ed, his rank is Major troughout all the series), and (in the beginning of the series) "Strong-Arm Alchemist" Alex Louis Armstrong is a Major

but...

what about "Flame Alchemist" Roy Mustang? i mean, can a National Alchemist be promoted? (i never knew that)

or...

maybe a National Alchemist's "Starting Rank" is Major, and can be promoted/demoted anytime?
Celeste Nayamashii
Yep, even the National Alchemists can be promoted. The do start out as a rank equivalent to a Major, but they can be moved up. Just because they're an alchemist doesn't mean they can't move up the chain, otherwise we'd never see Roy Mustang move up in ranks. Yes, he starts out as a Major and then it's Lieutenant Colonel and then Colonel I think, though don't quote me...I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure that's right. Anybody feel free to correct me ;P
dragonqueen
No, I got a pretty good feeling that you're right.
Cardboard Box Junkie
You're right, but I think he's a Lieutenant Colonel from the start, never a Major.
wssarrow
So, I have the feeling this question may already have been asked, but...*does not want to read huge thread*

What the fudge happened to Dante? Does it even explain at all? Or am I missing something? I never saw Conqueror of Shambala, if it was answered in that...
Tombow
QUOTE(wssarrow @ Dec 12 2007, 05:02 PM) *
So, I have the feeling this question may already have been asked, but...*does not want to read huge thread*

What the fudge happened to Dante? Does it even explain at all? Or am I missing something? I never saw Conqueror of Shambala, if it was answered in that...

@wssarrow - Welcome to the board!!
Presumably, Dante was eaten by Gluttony in the elevator.
In the movie, we see Gluttony but no more dante.
wssarrow
Thanks, Tombow! smile.gif Okay, I have another question. It's not really about the episodes of the anime. Actually, it concerns the DVDs.
Okay, so you know how at the end of every episode, if you toggle to the right, there's a very short sound clip of the Japanese voice actors talking about insane things?
I can pretty much figure out who is talking in all of these that I've listened to besides in episode 20. For that one, does anyone know who is speaking at the end? They say something like "Well, once you become the armor you don't really need to use restrooms anymore." It sounded a bit like Greed, but I'm really not good with recognizing the Japanese voices unless I've heard them a lot; and that doesn't really make sense that he'd say that.
TwilightPhoenix
I have a silly question... Where did the name William come from for Envy? Now almost every Envy site has his true name as being William... did I miss something? >.>; Thanks
carbon
QUOTE(TwilightPhoenix @ Feb 5 2008, 11:07 PM) *
I have a silly question... Where did the name William come from for Envy? Now almost every Envy site has his true name as being William... did I miss something? >.>; Thanks
I guess William is envy's name given to him by hohenheim of light.I just wanted to ask that where does a homunculi get his /her body from?
gunslinger alchemist
Really? I don't remeber Envy ever being called "William". as for where Homunculi's bodies come from, combine all the minerals in the human body, in the correct ammounts in the center of the uber -complex trransmutation circle. place hands on said circle, and vowala. Homunculi body. to develop said body into a recognizable form, apply a large quantity of red stones. As for the soul... well, need not apply.
carbon
Name: Envy aka "William elric"
Age he died at : 18
Sex: Male
Eyes: Dark Violet
Hair: Dark Green
Cause by Death: Mercury Poisoning
Family: Hohenheim (Father) Edward and Alphonse Elric (Half Brothers) Dante (Mother)
Ouroboros: On his left thigh.

Suppose this should clear your doubt...
And i ask where Homunculi get their bodies from is coz hohenheim said something about them
not being able to use alchemy because of the fact that they come from beyond the gate..
Tombow
QUOTE(carbon @ Feb 27 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Name: Envy aka "William elric"
Age he died at : 18
Sex: Male
Eyes: Dark Violet
Hair: Dark Green
Cause by Death: Mercury Poisoning
Family: Hohenheim (Father) Edward and Alphonse Elric (Half Brothers) Dante (Mother)
Ouroboros: On his left thigh.

Suppose this should clear your doubt...

@carbon - You forgot to include the source of that information. biggrin.gif
Where is that information from? I think it will be helpful if you can post the link. Or, if it's from Profile or some other official FMA publication, please post the name of the book. ^^

And, as far as Homunculi's bodies, I guess we can say that the original ingredients are provided by the Alchemists who performed the transmutations (in anime) then later aided by the Stones.
I can't remember Hohenheim saying about Homunculi not being able to use alchemy because of the fact that they come from beyond the gate, but I it's been while since I watched the series, so if you can post which episode (if you can remember) that might help recalling more about it. smile.gif
TwilightPhoenix
So basicly William comes from a fan fic. Some fan girls took that and ran with it thinking it was official information. No where in the anime is he called William, and not at all in the movie, and he really can't be William in the manga.

Unless it comes from offical information, it's just fan fiction.
That's good, means I can call him something else. Hah.

As for the homunculi question
You don't need the stones to create a recognizable form, remember Wrath? And when they lost all their stones, they seemed pretty much fine after they recover, only without the multiple lives. Greed for instance, was still able to fit, and still had his powers, and for that matter, Wrath had his powers before he ate the stones as well. The red stones probably only provide them a link with the Gate which they were pulled from.

The Homunculi can't perform alchemy because they do not have a human soul, or they might even only have a fragment of a soul. You might think of it as them not having their own Qi. Just a guess though.
carbon
REPLY FOR TOMBOY :-
I am sorry i did not post the source of the information because i thought that it was against the
rules of the forum to post links,
anyways, here it :
http://www.freewebs.com/envy_homunculus/whoisenvy.htm

Hohenheim tells Ed that homunculi come from beyond the gate in "episode 44 - Hohenheim of light".

REPLY FOR TWILIGHT PHOENIX:-
As for where the name william comes from, I am not sure of it my self.... But he has got to have a
name before he was a homunculi.

And Homunculi have soules in them or parts of it , atleast that is wat i think....
How else can you explain them surviving without the red stones when they are born and also the
memories that they have???
The red stone cannot substitute a human soul.....Homunculi only need the red stones for
getting their body into proper shape.
Popogeejo
I wouldn't trust that "source." It looks like pure fan speculation (to put it politely.)
carbon
The thing that is in doubt is the name i suppose...
But here is something interesting....
go to this site, wait for the flash to load and then select characters--homunculus--envy:-
http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com/flash_index.html
read the thing they wrote.....
wat surprises me is that they say envy is without gender?
TwilightPhoenix
William is a fan name, that's all.

As for that official dub site.
It is because they don't want to spoil the fun for fans trying to figure it out. They are basing the information on the first half of the series so that people won't go to that site and be like "Ooh Envy is a guy. Mystery solved, I can stop watching the show now." Or something lol

The thing with the red stones it, yeah I said that they can survive without them. The only purpose they serve seem to be to "awaken" the homunculus, and to give them multiple lives, that can run out. Once they are expelled from them, the only change is that they don't have multiple lives. -.-
Vinyl Zen
I know there's bonus content in the limited edition Shambala DVD set, but are there any in the series? Namely the box sets made for the US?

By bonus features, I mean audio commentaries, interviews, etc.

Thanks!
swirlees
i'm not sure if i'm being an idiot or something but i'll say it anyway. in the series, hohenheim was only gone for a few days in our world. but he already had a family with a son, which is who ed sort of took over when he crossed the gate. but in the two year lapse between the series and the movie, both sides took two years. i'm not sure if i'm missing anything that's right in my face here, but i'm confused. huh.gif
LittleFullMental
lol! all this talk about envy...since his name is "william" as you guys say... then should'nt he be william von hoenhiem? because elric is Trisha's maiden name and because as I read... Hoho and Trisha never married so.... blink.gif
QUOTE(swirlees @ Mar 24 2008, 10:54 AM) *
i'm not sure if i'm being an idiot or something but i'll say it anyway. in the series, hohenheim was only gone for a few days in our world. but he already had a family with a son, which is who ed sort of took over when he crossed the gate. but in the two year lapse between the series and the movie, both sides took two years. i'm not sure if i'm missing anything that's right in my face here, but i'm confused. huh.gif
well if i'm not mistaken i didn't really hear him say the Ed of our world was his son.... "You're my son, Edward?!" was what he said when Ed took over our Ed's body. So... probably he wasn't Hoho's son.... he was just a kid who looked exactly like the real Ed! (hope this helped... either that or I just made it harder to understand! lol blink.gif )
The Frozen Alchemist
i agree with LittleFullMetal
eveyone in Ed and Al's world has a counterpart in our world
if i remember correctly, Hoenheim wasn't in the house when Ed woke up in the other Ed's body, Hohenheim came in through the front door so it is possible they might have just known each other
The Frozen Alchemist
Why does everyone think Envy's name was William and where do they find it?
Edamame
William is simply a name devised by writers of fan-fiction; you never find out Envy's true name in the series. Question answered!
Little Washu
QUOTE(LittleFullMental @ Mar 29 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Hoho and Trisha never married so.... blink.gif

Did it really mention that?

Also, is Hohenhiem's first name Von? Because I thought with German/German-like names, it's [first name] Von [last name].
The Frozen Alchemist
In the anime he is only called Hohenheim, but in the manga he is Van Hohenheim.
LittleFullMental
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Apr 1 2008, 05:49 AM) *
QUOTE(LittleFullMental @ Mar 29 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Hoho and Trisha never married so.... blink.gif

Did it really mention that?

Also, is Hohenhiem's first name Von? Because I thought with German/German-like names, it's [first name] Von [last name].

Well in the manga (so they say) they mentioned that's trisha's maiden name was Elric (and he was named only "Van Hohenhiem" not Hohenhiem Elric), and I remember them saying they weren't actually married.
The Frozen Alchemist
I think he might have left Trisha before they were married. Most likely they would have married if they werent. In the manga chapter 74 Homuculus (Father) gives him the name Van Hoenheim.

<Edited to add Spoiler tag for those who haven't read FMA chapter 74 manga. Just in case. ^^ ~Tombow>
Arsid
I have a plot question

I've never really understood what the anime is REALLY about. I understood the most of it. But I don't remember from when I watched it awhile ago. Is the plot of the anime just everybody wants the philosopher's stone and they're fighting everyone else to get it? Dante to stay alive, homunculus to become human, ed/al to get their bodies back, and scar to save ishbalans? Is that all there is to it or am i missing some plot?

Basically if no one would mind, could you try to sum up the entire plot? I don't want to rewatch the anime (51 eps is a lot =\ )

Tombo
Hi, am i right in saying Pride is the homonculi that takes form of Ed's mother? And if she is surely she isnt the Fuhrer because people have said Pride is the furher but they are seen together... Also, what is the importance and meaning of the skull Mustang uses to kill the Furher?
Popogeejo
Hi, am i right in saying Pride is the homonculi that takes form of Ed's mother?

No, she's Sloth. The Fuhrer is Pride. Why would you think otherwise?

Also, what is the importance and meaning of the skull Mustang uses to kill the Furher?

That would be the Fuhrers skull. If Homunculi are shown part of the remains of the person they were created from then they become paralysed and ill.
Tombo
ok thanks smile.gif
Tombo
Hi, What is the relevance of Edward's Insignia on his coat? what does it mean?

Thanks in advance
Naivete
Anime- Apparently got it from his teacher who got it from her teacher... so on.

Manga- Not really explained, but most likely the same scenario.
Tombo
Oh, alright, so would it resemble a line of Alchemists much like an Emblem would represent a group of people or a guild?
Edamame
Oh, alright, so would it resemble a line of Alchemists much like an Emblem would represent a group of people or a guild?

That seems more or less logical in my opinion seeing as how Izumi had the used insignia/emblem, and it was thus "passed on" and used by Edward. I haven't watched the anime in ages, but I can not remember if Dante had originally used the insignia and passed it down to Izumi. The insignia used by both Izumi and Edward draws on elements from both the alchemical of the Caduceus/ Wand of Hermes (Most often depicted as twins snakes entwining around a staff. In hermetic artwork the Caduceus is sometimes depicted being held by the Greek god Hermes), and the rarer Flamel (Most often depicted as a single serpent crucified on a cross.)
EnVy7
dude anime makes mistakes maybe they accidently made the shadow black instead of grey
Tombow
QUOTE(EnVy7 @ Jun 29 2008, 02:21 PM) *
dude anime makes mistakes maybe they accidently made the shadow black instead of grey

@EnVy7 - Are you, by any chance, responding to the post on page 1 of this thread that was posted THREE years ago?? biggrin.gif

Please join us for more recently discussed topics. ^^

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.