Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Little Washu
is anyone bummed out about how ed and al are never gonna see winry or any of their friends for the rest of their lives?

Yeah, that really sucks. I wish the movie had a different ending like, after the ending credits finish rolling, we see Ed and Al find something similer to the gate. And then, they go through it and hear Winry say "Back so soon?". And then it's over. I heard that there might be a 2nd movie, but don't get your hopes up. The guy who said it (the directer of the movie) just said it was, "In the realm of possibility".

But anyway, my question is what's gonna happen to Gracia and Elysia? I mean, will Gracia get re-married now that [spoiler] Hughes died?[/spoiler] So sad......
me1
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Mar 4 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]513443[/snapback]
is anyone bummed out about how [spoiler]ed and al are never gonna see winry or any of their friends for the rest of their lives?[/spoiler]

Yeah, that really sucks. I wish the movie had a different ending like, after the ending credits finish rolling, we see Ed and Al find something similer to the gate. And then, they go through it and hear Winry say "Back so soon?". And then it's over. I heard that there might be a 2nd movie, but don't get your hopes up. The guy who said it (the directer of the movie) just said it was, "In the realm of possibility".

for sure.. it just would have been nice to see if they were able to develop the obvious love between ed and winry instead of just sort of writing it off. but its good enough that the brothers are back together. if a second movie comes out ill be stoked.. they do leave it pretty damn open ended after all. who would be dumb enough to stop such a giant money maker dead in its tracks. then again maybe i should read the manga which is still being written

oh and if youve seen the OVA's on youtube they do show eds grandchildren in the present and one of them is the identical lil kid winry so.. maybe?
Tombow
Ok, time for General Reminder!!! biggrin.gif

This thread is mainly answering for "Factual" stuff, or things that are "canon" in the FMA storyline.
This thread is NOT for discussing "what if" type of questions, or discussing your opinion about the various aspects of FMA.

For "what if" type of questions, or discussing general opinions about the storyline, please post on appropriate applicable threads based on your opinion, or topic of the discussion, be it on any of FMA Movie discussion threads, or other threads in FMA Movie sub-forum, and such. smile.gif
me1
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 4 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]513458[/snapback]
Ok, time for General Reminder!!! biggrin.gif

This thread is mainly answering for "Factual" stuff, or things that are "canon" in the FMA storyline.
This thread is NOT for discussing "what if" type of questions, or discussing your opinion about the various aspects of FMA.

For "what if" type of questions, or discussing general opinions about the storyline, please post on appropriate applicable threads based on your opinion, or topic of the discussion, be it on any of "ending" discussion threads, or threads in FMA Movie sub-forum, and such. smile.gif

sorry i thought it was anything having to do with "ashamed To Be Asking This" which my question was sort of embarrassing so.. yeah. well ill move it to another thread if i can find one.
Tombow
QUOTE(me1 @ Mar 5 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]513464[/snapback]
sorry i thought it was anything having to do with "ashamed To Be Asking This" which my question was sort of embarrassing so.. yeah. well ill move it to another thread if i can find one.

@me1 - Gahaha, yeah, that actually makes sense!! laugh.gif Sorry for the confusing title for this thread!! ^^
BTW, welcome to the board!!
If you like, please come to Newcomers thread and post your "hi"!!
We'd love to see your post there!! happy.gif
NZ's FullMetal
What theory is " The gate" from?

I see that they use it on Naruto aswell and has the same kind of meaning about the gate inside your body.

Thanks
Scythoro
What is Royai? Is it an english word?
Tombow
QUOTE(Scythoro @ Mar 10 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]516210[/snapback]
What is Royai? Is it an english word?

@Scythoro - No, it's not an English word. laugh.gif
Royai is Roy x Riza. Riza's last name is Hawkeye, so, similar to Edwin = Ed x Winry, people made Roy + [Hawk]eye for Roy x Riza, but the Japanese "Romaji" spelling for "eye" sound is "ai", and "ai" happens to mean "love" in Japanese also, hence Roy + ai (Hawkeye) = Royai, and it got stuck among Roy x Riza fans, although that's not really the correct way of spelling it, I guess. biggrin.gif
Purists say it should be spelled Roiai (spelling both Roy and eye in Japanese way,) or Royeye. ^^
Scythoro
Oh gotcha, thx for the lesson. I'm really glad this post is up otherwise I wouldn't know where to ask questions. happy.gif
Arsid
IM BAAAAAAAAAACK

I forgot something. What was the deal with the 5th labratory? Why was it important again? (I'm re-watching the anime)
Kenji
[spoiler] 5th lab was the lab the military used to research and make the Philosopher's Stone. The whole operation was under the command of Basque Grand, The Iron Blooded Alchemist and the research was spearheaded by Dr.Marcoh but was abandoned after the Ishbal War.

Ed and Al finds out about the 5th lab after going thru Dr.Marcoh's left-over notes, written by Scieszka, sine the library for National Alchemist was burnt down. They went there to investigate, and the Elric brothers have a fight with the guardian of the place- The Slicer Brother [Ed] and Barry The Chopper [Al]. After The Slicer Brother was defeated, Ed was brought to the place Philosopher's stone was manufactured, only to meet Shou Tucker in chimera form in the middle of the way. Shou Tucker shown him the place where the Philosopher's Stone in liquid form was stored. He even gave a hint to Ed- Philosopher's Stone cannot be produce by normal alchemist, only the 'real' alchemists can produce it. Ed falls in the latter category, because he have seen "The Door". To fullfill his dream (Restoring Al's body) he agreed to do it without knowing he was about to commit a great sin. [/spoiler]

-spoiler ends-
I encourage you to watch it again, apart than reading the summary... because this is one of the important plot in FMA. A lot of plots in later episodes is related with the 5th Research Institute. Furthermore, there are many loopholes in my summary... XD laugh.gif
Mudkipblader
I've been wondering this:

After a Homunculus is born, if it didn't meet someone like Dante who raises them to be bad and for the worse, could it then be good? Live like a Human, and be happy withough having to go killing everyone?
Ah, well you know what I mean. -.-
Kenji
That would be impossible...because Dante always be there whenever someone is doing human transmutation...

I think they will be rejected or even killed by human being because of their looks. [spoiler]Remember in Episode 48, where Sloth has flashbacks about herself after she was created by the Elric brothers. Envy was feeding her with philosopher's stone and uttered: "She is becoming more human" [Translated from Cantonese sub] This statement make it clear that homunculus when created at first was imperfect, maybe having legs as their hands, head at stomach position, etc etc. [/spoiler]

tongue.gif
Chiisana
Oh noes it's meh again!

Okay I was watching some FMA AMVs until I came up with the question.
What's the deal with the baby and "The Door" that Dante talked about around the end of FMA anime? I rewatched that part but... Got some problem to understand @.@ Hoping for someone to use "easier" englsh so I could understand it :x

How come the baby can "summon" the door (and used it on someone else) without getting "take away"? xP
Mudkipblader
OH, 'kay. Kenji, but can a Homunculus after being created (and become like his final form) reject his dark side?

Chiisana, as far as I can tell Dante said that [SPOILER] Everyone had a small gate inside of him. Alchemists use that door to provide them with Energy from the other world to do their transmutations [1]. Dante also said that the door could be more easily summoned when the link between mind, body and soul is stil weak, like in a baby's case. So being a skilled Alchemist as she is, Dante must somehow have opened the Baby's Gate. I think that the baby doens't disappear for two reasons: Or it is because the same technique that the Alchemist use[see 1] or it is because she gave the Gate someone else. That's all I can come up with. Hope that that does help. ^^[/SPOILER]
Tombow
@Mudkipblader - About homuncli... I'm not quite sure if they can even survive beyond first few days, if not given the Stones,... They seem totally malformed, and I'm assuming their internal organs are as messed up as the outer looks. unsure.gif
Kenji
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Mar 28 2007, 04:26 AM) [snapback]522566[/snapback]
OH, 'kay. Kenji, but can a Homunculus after being created (and become like his final form) reject his dark side?

I don't think all homunculus born are pure evil...
They have felings too except for that girlish Envy tongue.gif
Actually they are just 'paying back' to Dante since Dante is the one who saves them. Get what I mean? laugh.gif
Mudkipblader
If you see it that way.
envy is ...
So if a Homunculi does not have to pay someone back it can run wherever it wants to go. xD
[has crazy thought now]
Kenji
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Mar 28 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]522744[/snapback]
So if a Homunculi does not have to pay someone back it can run wherever it wants to go. xD

Yep...it can run wherever it wants...but with those imperfect limbs and devastating looks, how far and how long? laugh.gif
Arsid
Why do they constantly refer to Dante as "he" (even Izumi and Ed) shes clearly a woman
Chiisana
@Arsid-san; Well I'm no pro user like the other to answer questions but; In japanese, they used "aitsu" on Dante since they didn't know the name. And "aitsu" is often used on guy. So if you watched the english sub episodes, they must've subbed "aitsu" as "that guy" or "he", while it also can be use for females, but rarely happy.gif
If you watched the english dub, then I don't know >w<

Before Ed know who Dante really was, he though that his father, Hoheimheim could be the one who control the homunculus, maybe that's why he used "he/aitsu" too happy.gif As you see, Ed don't really like to call his father by name but use "aitsu" instead.

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/onldict.php <-- look for "aitsu" and you will see biggrin.gif

End my crappy explanation here >w<
Arsid
that makes sense, thanks.
Chiisana
Yaaaay~ I actually could answer people's question >w< If I wasn't wrong tongue.gif
ehxhfdl14
okay i've been wondering, if you compare pics of ed from beginning of series and way later on, he looks different.
but i can't figure out what she did to make him look different. any ideas?
Kenji
Clarification number 1,
Hiromu Arakawa never contributed in the anime

Clarification number 2,
Ed grows in the anime... so do in the manga[not 100% sure]
Well, basically you can see that he has grown from his face... Rounder when 12 years old, and getting 'longer' as when he is older... His black jacket also getting shorter untill it appears to be 'floating' when he gets older...
ehxhfdl14
His black jacket also getting shorter untill it appears to be 'floating' when he gets older...

his jacket gets shorter??? i never noticed that!!

Kenji
somethings can't be noticed by pictures...you got to watch it... hahaha laugh.gif

I manage to find a few examples to support my answer...

Click to view attachment
his black jacket reached his pants when he is 12 years old

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
and his black jacket appears to be 'floating' when he is 16 years old...
ehxhfdl14
ohhhhh. okay. the jacket goes from zipper→clasp.
thanks for taking the time to find the pics!
Kenji
QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Apr 1 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]523895[/snapback]
ohhhhh. okay. the jacket goes from zipper→clasp.

Not only that... compare the length...
12 yr old > belt covered
15/16yr old > belt revealed

------------
ETA:
QUOTE(Tombow)
Our welcome hosts, including Kenji above, would love to meet you there!!

Oh yeah...I will greet you [fangirl79] in Korean... XD

<Last Edit on Monday,4.55 pm (+8 GMT)>
ehxhfdl14
@fangirl79 - That saying in Kenji's sig is in Korean, and means "Love is deep."

Tombow, I saw that before and I was like, what the heck? because 심심 means like, bored.
The phrase was basically like, 'because love is bored'.
and Kenji, thank you so much for explaining everything. ♥

p.s. But when the jacket floats, where does the belt go? I mean, sometimes you can see a end of the belt sticking out from the side when he lifts his arms or whatever, but why does it disappear sometimes? (or am I confusing this with the manga?)
Kenji
QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Apr 4 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]525244[/snapback]
@fangirl79 - That saying in Kenji's sig is in Korean, and means "Love is deep."

Tombow, I saw that before and I was like, what the heck? because 심심 means like, bored.
The phrase was basically like, 'because love is bored'.
and Kenji, thank you so much for explaining everything. ♥

Stop discussing...that phrase is no longer there... tongue.gif

p.s. But when the jacket floats, where does the belt go? I mean, sometimes you can see a end of the belt sticking out from the side when he lifts his arms or whatever, but why does it disappear sometimes? (or am I confusing this with the manga?)

I have no idea whats in the manga...
In the anime, he wears his belt everytime...
and, of course the belt stays on his waist instead of sticking out [???]...
ehxhfdl14
and, of course the belt stays on his waist instead of sticking out [???]...

no, like the end of it. like you stick one end into the buckle and out, and that end kinda sticks out from the side sometimes.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it.
Twilight Warrior Alchemist
I have a question, what was with Envy turning into a dragon in the last episode? I totally don't get where that came from.
ehxhfdl14
"Speaking of dragons, why did Envy become one when he passed through the gate into our world?

As you may know, [manga creator] Arakawa made all of the homunculi represent the seven sins, and she also portrayed Envy representing a serpent or leviathan. Since it was already used as a symbol once in our TV series, it was the ideal form for Envy to take when he went to the other side of the gate."

This is from the interview, Conquering Hero with Seiji Mizushima. http://www.mobuta.com/fma/library/hero.html
There are a lot of other info there, too.
Twilight Warrior Alchemist
ahh..that make alot of since (I should have known
that after reading Canterbury Tales in school. )
Thanks!
Razzy
I just want to be sure about this: the FMA movie takes place before WWI, right? unsure.gif

Not only that... compare the length...
12 yr old > belt covered
15/16yr old > belt revealed

I never noticed that! You're really observant, Kenji! happy.gif
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Apr 12 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]529536[/snapback]
I just want to be sure about this: the FMA movie takes place before WWI, right? unsure.gif

No, it doesn't. It takes place during the Weimar Republic, which ruled Germany between World Wars One and Two. Thus, we hear Alfons say stuff like "Some people don't think that Germany should have surrendered in the war...We could have fought on..." or something like that. All of this is true, as many people in Germany were shocked by Germany's sudden surrender when the Allies had yet to even touch German soil. Furthermore, the terms of surrender were especially harsh for Germany. Between the Treaty of Versailles and the Great Depression, inter-war Germany (especially pre-Hitler) was a pretty glum place to live in. Hitler capitalized on this general resentment in Germany, took power, and the rest is history.
Razzy
Thank you so much! happy.gif
(I'm not so great in Social Studies ^^U)
Anon
i am just brand new in this forum....but i am a big fan of...fullmetal...i've seen all the episodes...but i really wanna know..if there by any chance....is a second season of this great anime
pls let me know....cz its killing me
note:i know there's a movie too.....but i didn't even see tht....cz i don't have it...and in my country ..i cann't found it......if there is any link of these movie pls...give the links sad.gif sad.gif
Kenji
Hello Anon. ^.^

We love FMA too. We won't be here if we doesn't, arn't we? smile.gif
Unfortunately, there is no 2nd season of FMA series. sad.gif The only continuation for the series was the movie.
YouTube used to have the movie uploaded but was removed not even 3 days after the date of uploading. Apparently there's no links that allows you to watch the movie free thru the net. sad.gif Maybe you can contact the DVD store to specially order one for you. smile.gif

Since you are quite new on the board, please come and introduce yourself on Newcomers thread. smile.gif
Amalthea
I got a question.

What happened to Dante and Gluttony at the end of the last episode?
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(Amalthea @ Apr 13 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]529823[/snapback]
I got a question.

The series leaves it up in the air, but the fact that Gluttony is in the FMA movie, while Dante is...not, suggests that Gluttony ate Dante in the elevator. However, it is remotely plausible that Dante somehow managed to escape somewhere and was simply irrelevant to the FMA movie.
Tombow
@Amalthea - Mostly it's assumed that[spoiler] Gluttony ate Dante in the elevator[/spoiler].

However...
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Apr 13 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]529840[/snapback]
However, it is remotely plausible that Dante somehow managed to escape somewhere and was simply irrelevant to the FMA movie.

@TheRainbowConnection - That is an intriguing thoughts!! Knowing of her, that's actually plausible!! (More possible story-lines for fanfics.. or a phantom sequel!! biggrin.gif )
ehxhfdl14
I got a question.

However, it is remotely plausible that Dante somehow managed to escape somewhere and was simply irrelevant to the FMA movie.

Actually, not quite. Again, this is from the interview, Conquering Hero, with Seiji Mizushima.
http://www.mobuta.com/fma/library/hero.html

Q. So what really happened to Dante at the end of the TV series?

A. [Laughs] Dante was definitely eaten by Gluttony.

Tombow
@ehxhfdl14 - Thanks for pointing that out!!
Then it's definite!! [spoiler]Dante was eaten by Gluttony[/spoiler]!!! tongue.gif
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Apr 13 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]529873[/snapback]
Actually, not quite. Again, this is from the interview, Conquering Hero, with Seiji Mizushima.
http://www.mobuta.com/fma/library/hero.html

Q. So what really happened to Dante at the end of the TV series?

A. [Laughs] Dante was definitely eaten by Gluttony.

Ah, thanks for the evidence, didn't see that. Oh well, I thought that she was eaten by Gluttony, anyways. *shrug*
ehxhfdl14
Ah, thanks for the evidence, didn't see that. Oh well, I thought that she was eaten by Gluttony, anyways. *shrug*
Yeah, I just wanted closure on this. Your theory was good though. Opened up an opportunity for another movie ^-^;;
Gozar
<Merged "What Does "royai" Stand For?" thread in Fanworkd forum, Fanfics sub-forum, with the following 3 posts. 04/18/07 ~Tombow>

In references to Roy and Riza Fan related stuff I've heard the term "Royai" used. What does that stand for?
Edamame
It stand for Roy and Hawkeye. It is a common fanfiction term used to describe the relationship between Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye.

*Please do not make a new thread to ask a simple question. You can ask questions here: Anime Questions.

~This thread should be closed.
Tombow
Thanks, Edamame!! ^^

In fact, I think I answered the exact that question just a while go there, and I'm going to make a link later to my answer post when my connection gets better. (My connection is waaaaay too slow right now.. sorry!!)

Basically, it's Roy and Hawkeye, but the "Romaji writing" of eye part in Japanese is ai.
Technically, it should be spelled Roiai or Royeye, but "ai" in Japanese happens to also mean "love" and hence the word Royai got stuck as the word to use for Roy x Riza among Royai fans, I think. ^^

ETA: I found it!!
What is Royai? and my answer. biggrin.gif

Later on I'll close this thread and merge the posts to that FMA Q&A thread. ^^

ETA: April 18
Since the thread author had seen the reply posts, merged "What Does "royai" Stand For?" thread in Fanworks forum, Fangics sub-forum with the preceding 3 posts to "ashamed To Be Asking This" Thread, FMA Anime Questions" thread in FMA Anime forum section front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.