Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Mustang_93
I was just agreeing on Selim's probable adoption and it seems that i started a minor rant.
esrz22
Oh. Okay, right.

...Probably adoption? I remember Selim thanking the Fuhrer for adopting him.
Mustang_93
Is that in the Manga?
esrz22
Don't think so. Is in the Anime. Something else confirms it in the manga IIRC. Might be wrong, though.
Mudkipblader
I have a question about the Auraborus thing.
I think I've seen it before.
So anyone care to explain what it is?
Tombow
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Nov 18 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]475111[/snapback]
I have a question about the Auraborus thing.
I think I've seen it before.
So anyone care to explain what it is?
I'm assuming you are asking about Ouroboros, correct?? biggrin.gif
That Ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent/dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle. The symbol has long been associated with alchemy, tho it's been seen in other places, too. It has meaning of like, consuming itself, or something like that.

And, I think, in FMA anime, if one has that tattoo, that means he/she is a homunculous.
Each one has that tattoo on different part of the body: [spoiler]Wrath on his right foot, Pride on his left eye, Lust on her chest (?), Greed on his left hand, Gluttony on his tongue, Sloth above her left breast, and Envy on his left thigh[/spoiler]. smile.gif
Mudkipblader
Thanks, sorry for the spelling mistake ^^"
Tombow
@Mudkipblader - Oh, no, no problem!! And, you're welcome!!
Maybe some others might have some more info to add to this, too. biggrin.gif
sweety_pie
Ooo.. I have more info on Ouroboros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

"Ouroboros has most generally represented cyclicality, and primordalial unity.
It has been important in many religous and mythological symbolism, but has been most frequently used in alchemic illustrations.
The name Ouroboros is Greek, it meens 'tail-devourer."

"The "Tattoo of Ouroboros" crest is also seen in the anime Fullmetal Alchemist. It is seen on different parts of all the Homunculi. All the Homunculi, named after the Seven Deadly Sins, have the Ouroboros Crest on them on different parts of their bodies. Wrath has one on his eye (manga) or one on his right foot (anime), Pride on his left eye (anime and Manga), and seen in volume 7 of the manga Lust on her chest (just above her cleavage), Greed on his left hand, Gluttony on his tongue, Sloth above her left breast (anime) or on his (Sloth is a man in the manga) back near his right shoulder (manga), and Envy on his left thigh. The alchemical significance applied in this instance is that each of these beings is a construct that consumes themselves (the philosopher's stone each is created around) for their power. In the movie sequel to the series, Conqueror of Shamballa, Envy who had transformed into a massive serpent at the end of the series was used as a literal Ouroboros to allow the use of Alchemy in our world."

(I quoted all from wiki wink.gif )

Mudkipblader
Thanks ^^
Funderful
My question;
Does Envy ever turn into Ed?
I can't seem to remember it happen.
I just keep thinking it would be an awesome transformation sequence.

So, anyone have a clue?
esrz22
QUOTE(Funderful @ Nov 18 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]475334[/snapback]
My question;

So, anyone have a clue?

He might at the very end of episode 51. Other than that, not that I recall.
Reta McClain
My question;

So, anyone have a clue?

More like the middle of episode 51.

And Envy turns into Ed in one of the Lab. 5 episodes when he is talking with Lust. Envy turns into Ed and suggests that they should kill him. And to make his point clear, he copies Ed's arm-into-blade trick. And places it on his own throat.
esrz22
QUOTE(Reta McClain @ Nov 19 2006, 07:27 AM) [snapback]475482[/snapback]
My question;

So, anyone have a clue?

More like the middle of episode 51.

And Envy turns into Ed in one of the Lab. 5 episodes when he is talking with Lust. Envy turns into Ed and suggests that they should kill him. And to make his point clear, he copies Ed's arm-into-blade trick. And places it on his own throat.

Ah, right, I remember that now.

And end, middle, same thing. tongue.gif I meant end as in End Of The Main Thing, not End Of The Followup.
Funderful
^ Okay. Thanks for telling me. smile.gif
Do you know which Lab. 5 Episode, though?
Mustang_93
Nope. But he says: "I can be whatever you want me to be. What would you like? A taller version of you?" One of my favorite quotes.
GateKeeper
As I've mentioned before, I sporadically watched the beginning, and middle parts of the series, which is why this question may be answered over the next few weeks for me, but I'm confused as to the what the Nina "dolls" are and how they are made, what they are made of (which animals, I guess is my question)? It confused me because the doll looks to be a living thing, which it can't be.

I'm also confused about what happens in Episode 46 (where I picked up the series) when all of the other dolls disappear seeming to make one, which doesn't make since to me.

Lysander
QUOTE(GateKeeper @ Today @ 06:19 PM)
As I've mentioned before, I sporadically watched the beginning, and middle parts of the series, which is why this question may be answered over the next few weeks for me, but I'm confused as to the what the Nina "dolls" are and how they are made, what they are made of (which animals, I guess is my question)? It confused me because the doll looks to be a living thing, which it can't be.

The dolls are a copy Tucker made in Lab 5 when he said making Nina a chimera was a mistake and wanted to bring her back. As to what she was, I think and I'm not sure but she could've been made from various animals.

EDIT:
I finally found the grammatical error! No wonder it didn't look right!
sweety_pie
@gatekeeper- This is what wiki says about Nina...

"Her remains were gathered and taken to the 5th Laboratory where her father attempted to revive her in his spare time. While he managed to recreate the Nina-Chimera in a more human-like form, Shou could not recreate his daughter's soul. After being re-enlisted as a State Alchemist by Frank Archer, Shou continues to try and create a new Nina. He tricks Al to use the Philosopher's Stone to transmute the chimera-dolls of "Nina" into a fully-human Nina. The transmutation was the very first success at resurrecting the dead, but the recreated Nina remained in a comatose state, much to Tucker's horror. Even with the stone's power, Tucker's will and alchemy skills were not strong enough to bind his daughter's soul to her new body."
-------

@Funderful- I think(I know, I just watched the ep.) in ep. 19, Envy turns into Ed.A litte over half way through it.
And (I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet) in ep. 50, (or maybe 51) Envy turns into Ed while he is in the gate.
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Yup! Envy only turns into Ed twice... I'm surpised there was never an episode centered around a situation where Envy turned into Ed...

My computer has internet again! Yaaaay! smile.gif

Wiki's great, isn't it, sweety_pie? happy.gif
TheEnternalAlchemist
That wouuld make sense, but what doesn't is that there was supposedly a first lust that died or whatever and Lust says to Greed how she is the current Lust, so what is up with all that?

Dante only lets 7 homunkuli live at a time, naming each 1 after a deadly sin, when the first lust dies, the next human transmutation danta would creat a second lust (another hamunkulus named lust?
@ TheEternalAlchemist - it may help to read through previous posts for questions such as this that have been answered a few times. happy.gif

So, yes, in order for the Lust we see in the series to be the "new" Lust, a previous one had to have lived and had to have died by whatever means. Keep in mind, though, that Greed had been locked away for a good chunk of time - what was it, a couple hundred years or something? I don't exactly remember. Anyway, the point is, is that a lot happens in a hundred years, and also, Lust is a quite recent addition to the team - although older than Wrath, most likely. She was created around the time that the Ishbal war occured, when Ed and Al were still little - maybe three or fourish??

And the names just go on in a repeating loop, yes. So, when [spoiler]Greed died[/spoiler], had another homunculus been "born," it would have been named Greed. Then, had Pride died and anothe homunculus created, it would have been named Pride... and so on and so on. smile.gif
Funderful
Thanks, Sweety Pie.
I wish youtube would work now, so I could watch it.
Grr.
Mudkipblader
QUOTE(Funderful @ Nov 25 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]477775[/snapback]
Thanks, Sweety Pie.
I wish youtube would work now, so I could watch it.
Grr.

What's wrong with Youtube? It works for me...

i have a question, is everything that has something to do with Alchemy in the anime, real?
I mean, like has it been used before, outside the series?
sweety_pie
^FunYou can watch all the episodes on myspace.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=762027635

We are talking about you wanting to watch ep. 19 right?

----
@Mud - Some things from FmA are real/based off real.
A few charcters are based off real people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus (Hohenhiem is based off that man.)

Eds' cross insignia is based off of one of seven alchemic symbols that was on the tomb of Nicholas Flamel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamel

The ouroborus is another symbol in FmA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroborus

And, in the movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society

(I could go, on-and on with examples of FmA being based on real stuff.)
Funderful
Thank you! ^^
I just hope I can finish watching it before my parents get back and I'm kicked off the computer.
Now I just have to find out where Envy transforms..

Edit; I found it, nevermind.
It's odd...
When Envy 'Talks' in Ed's voice, he sounds sort of British.
Some kind of accent.
Mudkipblader
@sweety_pie

Wow, you sure did some searching...
inuhariko
I have a question regarding the credits. Going through the anime for a second time, I've been noticing a lot of scenes in the opening and closing credits that I don't remember appearing anywhere in the anime itself. Some examples are Ed and Al fighting a dragon, Ed and Al in the snow, and Ed, Al, and Winry in the rain. All these scenes were artistically compelling and I was really looking forward to seeing them in the anime but I don't remember ever seeing them. Did these happen in the anime and I just forgot? If not, is it common for anime intros to include scenes that don't appear in the series itself? Maybe these scenes are taken from the manga? I haven't read it yet!

Just curious!

sweety_pie
^inuhariko- Those scenes are never actually in Fullmetal Alchemist.They are just there for the credits.

I would not know if they are from the manga, I have not read much.

Other animes (Like Trinity Blood, Bleach, Samurai champloo) have scenes in the credits that do not happen in the anime.
Mudkipblader
I have another question: Does our (the "real") world happen to have a name?
Tombow
QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Nov 26 2006, 03:49 AM) [snapback]478056[/snapback]
I have another question: Does our (the "real") world happen to have a name?
@Mudkipblader - I don't think so... I think it's "the other world" to the people of "Hagaren" world. tongue.gif

@inuhariko - Yeah, those are only for the credits, and I think they do that a lot for anime.
And, no, I don't think they are in manga. smile.gif
Mudkipblader
Thank you, Tombow.

And now I have a question that probably is kinda wierd:
Does Hawkeye have black in her eyes? Like Edward.
I can only see two shades of brown. Please tell me quickly, I'm colouring her.

Edit: Nevermind already found it
inuhariko
QUOTE(Tombow @ Nov 26 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]478076[/snapback]
@inuhariko - Yeah, those are only for the credits, and I think they do that a lot for anime.
And, no, I don't think they are in manga. smile.gif

Thanks guys. Obviously I'm an anime n00b. It's pretty impressive they would put the effort of new animation in the credits rather than recycle old imagery. Yet, still I was looking forward to seeing those scenes in the context of the story. D'oh!
Mudkipblader
Those images used in openings and such mainly discribe what will be happening in that part of the show. Like in FMA, one of the openings you see Edward fighting Greed and the Chimera's. Shows you that he will be facing them in the anime.
but some of the things in the opening/endings introduce characters/"events" that don't necessarily happen the way that they do... ie, "UNDO" - Ed and Al are fighting a dragon, which doesn't happen per se, except for where [spoiler]Ed fights Envy the dragon in the movie[/spoiler] it doesn't happen how the credits show it, but it does happen... *shrugs*
Tombow
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Nov 26 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]478177[/snapback]
ie, "UNDO" - Ed and Al are fighting a dragon, which doesn't happen per se, except for where [spoiler]Ed fights Envy the dragon in the movie[/spoiler] it doesn't happen how the credits show it, but it does happen... *shrugs*
@The New Fullmetal Alchemist - I know, I know!!
When I watch [spoiler]the FMA movie[/spoiler] I get reminded of that credit scene!! biggrin.gif
@ Tombow - It's annoying, isn't it?! You see [spoiler]a dragon - who we later know as Envy - get pysically ripped in half about three times, and then it never actually happens, leaving you with a "WTF??" look on your face everytime you see it...[/spoiler] sigh... that was my rant for the day!
Mudkipblader
In episode 43 (the stray dog)[SPOILER] when Al and Ed touch, the power of the Stone is activated and they see the gate and in the Gate there is a light. Is it me or does that light look a lot like Al's body?[/SPOILER]
ed's numbuh 1 fan
[spoiler]It IS Alphonse's body actually, Alphonse is remembering everything from the gate thats why he can clap his hands later. So i would suppose the outline of his body would stand for his soul being in the gate. smile.gif[/spoiler]
Mudkipblader
I see, that's what I already thought.
Thanks for confirming. biggrin.gif
Amol
QUOTE(Guesty McGuestinstein)
[/s]' post='224259']
I have a question that's not really a stupid question, but I've got no where else to put it since I'm not a member and don't feel like joining just to post a topic.

Here's my question: In episodes 41 and 42 when the Philosopher's Stone is on the brink of being created, why did Dante call off the invasion of Lior? From what she said to Ed, it seemed like the only reason she did it was to spread the "Get to close to the Philosopher's Stone and you die" rumor around, but what would be the point of that if the Philosopher's stone is about to be created? And then why order Sloth and Wrath to attack the fleeing civilians of Lior? Dante's motives during those episodes were very confusing to me, so I'm hoping someone here can explain it.

May be entering Lior stopped her from doing that.
She knew that scar would create the stone any how but there is a large number of sacrifice required in that, she saw that destroying the military as a better option. Also she wanted to take over Rose's body and be loved by Ed. (i'm not sure of that) laugh.gif

Basic Intention of her was to cover her position at that time and not let Ed know that she was dante and successfully take over Rose's body with the philosophers stone.
Tombow
*cough*
@Amol - that question is more than a year old, and the person who posted that question is no longer here. tongue.gif
It's generally a good idea to post answers to questions that are little more current.
(Check the most recent page of this thread, and post answers to questions there. biggrin.gif )

And, if in doubt, better to be safe and use spoiler tags, which can be coded this way:
CODE
[spoiler]content[/spoiler]

And, when this gets posted, it looks like this: biggrin.gif
[spoiler]content[/spoiler]
Amol
Ahh... i dint see the date.
I was just browsing throught the questions and i happen to answer that.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(mudkipblader)
I see, that's what I already thought.
Thanks for confirming.

You're very welcome smile.gif
Kisara
I have a question. Dunno if it's been asked before, but,

[SPOILER] How exactly does Ed bring Al back in the last episode? Is it normal human transmutation?[/SPOILER]

Also, this is a really stupid question, but I just can't remember; [SPOILER] That transmutation circle that Al was lying on in episode 50, what was it for?[/SPOILER]

Really NooB-ish, I know tongue.gif
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Kisara @ Dec 14 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]484509[/snapback]
I have a question. Dunno if it's been asked before, but,

[SPOILER] How exactly does Ed bring Al back in the last episode? Is it normal human transmutation?[/SPOILER]

Also, this is a really stupid question, but I just can't remember; [SPOILER] That transmutation circle that Al was lying on in episode 50, what was it for?[/SPOILER]

Really NooB-ish, I know tongue.gif

actually I've been wondering that aswell. I guess he use the circle he put on himself to open the gate and exchange himself for Al =/
Ok, here we go! I haven't been here in a very long time, and I'm in the mood for questions! If you don't believe me, look at the post I just left in the other question forum! laugh.gif

Oh, and don't worry about being "noob-ish!" It's all good! smile.gif However, I would recommend for threads such as these that you go ahead and read from the beginning - this thread and another, similar question-answering one are each only 25-30 pages each or so - nothing too terrible! I'm more of the nice one in that I either answer it anyway or I copy and paste an answer, but sometimes you'll meet some resistance - just a friendly warning! happy.gif

Ok, I'm going to answer part b first, in that it's the shortest (ie the second block of text that is "spoilerized"): THe transmutation circle that they have Al laying on was an array that was to be used to activate the stone in order to use it for whatever means Dante felt like.

As for question a: Yes, it is normal human transmutation, technically, but remember - Al has now been fully assembled, mind, body, and soul across the gate - Ed, in an act of pure self-lessness, gives up his entire self for that of his brother. While we later learn that all Ed had to really, truly give up was [spoiler]his proximity to the brother he feels so close to and the years that they spent together (which is why Al can't remember anything)[/spoiler]

As for the rest of this question, how it was actually, technically done, I think I or someone else has answered this one before - if you still want to know - that is, if the above wasn't the answer you were looking for, then let me know and I'll either hunt the answer down or make up a new answer for you sometime after Tuesday the 19th, when my semester of hell has finally ended and I can turn my life towards more important things, such as FMA! laugh.gif
Triss Hawkeye
After Roy's fight with Pride in eps 50/51, he gets himself an eyepatch, so I assume he lost it in the fight. I haven't watched those episodes in a while, so I may be forgetting something, but how exactly does he lose his eye?
Bader
Why are the margins so messed up? T_T
sweety_pie
@Triss - The show never actually tells, but I assume he was shot by Archer, and other people say Riza shot him trying to shoot Archer.
Wiki says,
[spoiler]"Back at the estate, Mustang has reduced Pride to a pool of liquid (liquified Red Stones that Pride had consumed). He sets the liquid on fire and then drops the skull into the flames. The skull dissolves, signifying Pride's death. Mustang takes Selim and leaves the building. Archer has just arrived at the mansion and aims his pistol at Mustang. Riza runs to the estate and sees Archer. She shoots him through the right side of his chest (which is still flesh and blood), killing him. She continues running to the building and sees Mustang collapsed on the porch in a pool of blood. She arrives there and calls out his name several times in an attempt to wake him, then begins to cry and scream in despair."[/spoiler]
Not sure if it is a spoiler, or not.

@Bader - What margins are you talking about?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.