Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Nicoli Flamel
Alright I have a question, I just hope it's not been answered already. According to the anime Barda hate dogs right. So did they ever explain why this is?

On another note, how exactly do the Homunculi decide what they're outfits will look like? Apparently they create their own clothing but how? Ed said Wrath transmuted his clothing, but the others can't so...where do they get the clothing from?

Popogeejo
QUOTE(Nicoli Flamel @ Sep 28 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]452188[/snapback]
where do they get the clothing from?

http://www.blackrose.co.uk/
For all your Homunculus clothing needs.
Nicoli Flamel
Ha ha cute.

But seriously. Do they transmute it or what? I'd really like a real answer to this because it has me wondering.
Popogeejo
OK, I'm sorry for thast. I assume Dante got clothes for them. She's nice like that.

As fro Brada's puppy phobia, it's just a silly little joke and goes unexplained as far as I know...
Nicoli Flamel
Ah okay thank you. I thought that maybe there might be some hint of something in an omake that I didn't see or something.

Dante...being nice? blink.gif *plays Twilight zone music* laugh.gif
sweety_pie
Did the movie take place during WW two, or before?
I mean I thought it was during but, now I think it was before.
Reta McClain
sweety_pie: It takes place before WWII. The year in the movie is 1923 and WWII started 1939. (Or that is what my history book says...) Though in Amestris the year 1917 (I think it was that... Dun remember unsure.gif )
Tombow
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Sep 27 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]452273[/snapback]
@sweety_pie - This is the period when things are happening and culminating toward the start of WW II, I think.
The nationalism and Nazis are on the way to gaining power in Germany.
Eventually, Hitler will rise as the national leader.
It's an interesting background to be selected as the background for the FMA movie, IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE(saponin @ Sep 19 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]448366[/snapback]
in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?
QUOTE(saponin @ Sep 27 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]452020[/snapback]
in this one, 3:20-3:45.
@saponin - Thanks for pinpointing the exact scene!!

Since there is no dialogue of Mustang and the solder in that scene, only the voice-over of Pinako talking to Ed, this is my guess only, and could be wrong...
(I also checked the entire episode 44 talk-back thread, but there was no mention of that scene...)

I'm guessing that that scene is about the solder informing Mustang that Ed has became the subject of military tribunal and/or Mustang was being summond as the material witness for Ed's trial, or something like that...

It's my pure guess as of now, but I may remember more on this later...
Or, hopefully, others can have better idea about that scene, and post and tell us about it. happy.gif
Popogeejo

Yes, it's before the War.
[spoiler]the part where Hitler shows up in a Pub and fires a pistol into thte air was the start of the Munich Putch (A revolt where Hitler first tried to seize power unsuccessfully.)[/spoiler]
The New Fullmetal Alchemist

[quote name='saponin' post='448366' date='Sep 19 2006, 10:24 AM']in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?[/quote][quote name='saponin' post='452020' date='Sep 27 2006, 09:37 AM']in this one, 3:20-3:45.[/quote]@saponin - Thanks for pinpointing the exact scene!!

Since there is no dialogue of Mustang and the solder in that scene, only the voice-over of Pinako talking to Ed, this is my guess only, and could be wrong...
(I also checked the entire episode 44 talk-back thread, but there was no mention of that scene...)

I'm guessing that that scene is about the solder informing Mustang that Ed has became the subject of military tribunal and/or Mustang was being summond as the material witness for Ed's trial, or something like that...

It's my pure guess as of now, but I may remember more on this later...
Or, hopefully, others can have better idea about that scene, and post and tell us about it. happy.gif
[/quote]

That's a pretty good assesment (sp?) but I think I have some other ideas that may clear things up even more: at some point in that episode either Schieska or Hawkeye, maybe even Pinako (it's been a while since I've seen this episode, so if I get the little details wrong, please forgive me!) mentions that Roy will do anything he needs to in order to accomplish his goals. At that moment in time, his main goal was to protect Edward - he successfully stalled the troops coming in hopes of apprehending Edward by convincing the troop leader that Edward had escaped - a plan he had briefed Ed on earlier - Roy did this mainly by swearing his loyalty to the leader - hence the bowing, and Roy's subordinates' pained looks - here was Roy, a proud man with a mission, lowering himself and whatnot in order to protect someone else. Did that help? That's about the gist of it, I can go into more depth if you'd like... ^^
Tombow
(^^ @The New Fullmetal Alchemist - Try putting this line at the very begining of your post above, and that should make the whole quotes thingy to work. happy.gif )
CODE
[quote name='Tombow' date='Sep 28 2006, 05:02 AM' post='452384']

Question by saponin':
"in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys ... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?"
(The Scene in question is at the time counter 3:20 - 3:45 in this one.)

QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Sep 28 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]452598[/snapback]
..at some point in that episode either Schieska or Hawkeye, maybe even Pinako (it's been a while since I've seen this episode, so if I get the little details wrong, please forgive me!) mentions that Roy will do anything he needs to in order to accomplish his goals. At that moment in time, his main goal was to protect Edward - he successfully stalled the troops coming in hopes of apprehending Edward by convincing the troop leader that Edward had escaped - a plan he had briefed Ed on earlier - Roy did this mainly by swearing his loyalty to the leader - hence the bowing, and Roy's subordinates' pained looks - here was Roy, a proud man with a mission, lowering himself and whatnot in order to protect someone else. Did that help? That's about the gist of it, I can go into more depth if you'd like... ^^

@The New Fullmetal Alchemis - Yes, that makes so much sense!! Specially the part about Mustang "bowing"!! Thanks!! happy.gif
saponin
OH. i get it, thank a bunch tombow & tnfa biggrin.gif
Tombow
^^ You're quite welcome, saponin!! Glad we could help somehow. biggrin.gif
(Thanks, The New Fullmetal Alchemis for pitching in!! happy.gif)
Bader
Stupid question, yes, but does anybody miss me? happy.gif

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Sep 27 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]452273[/snapback]

This was before WWI, leading up to it. They never used biplanes and derigibles in WWII. WWII had bombers and fighter planes. WWI all they had were adapted crop dusters.
Tombow
QUOTE(Bader @ Oct 12 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]458792[/snapback]
Stupid question, yes, but does anybody miss me? happy.gif
Yes I did!! happy.gif Welcome back!!
We can use your expert knowledge here anytime!! biggrin.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Bader @ Oct 12 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]458792[/snapback]

This was before WWI, leading up to it. They never used biplanes and derigibles in WWII. WWII had bombers and fighter planes. WWI all they had were adapted crop dusters.

You're wrong. Hitlers Beer hall putsch took place after WW1 and is portrayed in the film (When Hitler enters a Pub and firse a Pistol into the air). The reason there are Bi planes is simple, the Germans were not allowed an Airforce* so the Thules would have had to use privatly owned planes.

*Treaty of Versallies
Tombow
^^ Popo - Reading her post, I she might have meant WWII when she wrote WWI. happy.gif
(I do that kind of stuff often, so, just saying... tongue.gif)
Bader
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Oct 12 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]458888[/snapback]

QUOTE(Bader @ Oct 12 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]458792[/snapback]

You're wrong. Hitlers Beer hall putsch took place after WW1 and is portrayed in the film (When Hitler enters a Pub and firse a Pistol into the air). The reason there are Bi planes is simple, the Germans were not allowed an Airforce* so the Thules would have had to use privatly owned planes.

*Treaty of Versallies

You're right. You evidence checks out. It's just that I have never seen derigibles used in combat since WWI.
sweety_pie
Yay Bader!! wink.gif

Thanks for the help with my last question... I have another one...
What was the name of Scars brother?
Popogeejo

I may be wrong but I don't think it has yet been revealed.
(He's Pride)
Tombow
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Oct 14 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]459975[/snapback]
I agree with Popo on this. I don't think his name was reaveled so far. smile.gif
I don't think we ever found out his name in the anime, yeah? huh.gif Nope, no name for Scar's brother! Then again, we never know Scar's true name, either! tongue.gif

from a couple of posts ago - you're welcome, Tombow! smile.gif
Semiotic Alchemist
I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I classify it as a dumb question, what are those lil creature guys everybody has in their sig?
wo0ter
Hi,

I just finished watching the series last night and I have a couple questions.

When Ed went beyond the gate to "our" world, how did he return to the other side? What exactly happened to Al at the point when he affixed Ed's soul to his body (did he "die" or return to Resembool)? What exactly did Ed do after he came back and realized Al was gone? I thought Ed assumed that Al went beyond the gate and went to find him.

Also, I don't understand Hohemheim's explanation for why the law of equivalent exchange wasn't real. Something about the lives of people beyond the gate and alchemy...?

What was Pride created from? Who was Envy created out of?

Thanks
Bader
I myself have a major question that has been bugging me.

What ever happened to Den's leg?
Hi,

I just finished watching the series last night and I have a couple questions.

When Ed went beyond the gate to "our" world, how did he return to the other side? What exactly happened to Al at the point when he affixed Ed's soul to his body (did he "die" or return to Resembool)? What exactly did Ed do after he came back and realized Al was gone? I thought Ed assumed that Al went beyond the gate and went to find him.

Also, I don't understand Hohemheim's explanation for why the law of equivalent exchange wasn't real. Something about the lives of people beyond the gate and alchemy...?

What was Pride created from? Who was Envy created out of?

Thanks

Hey! Ok, everybody, spoiler warning! If you don't want to find out, don't read this message!

To answer your questions in order: When Ed first went beyond the gate, his real body was trapped inside the gate itself - his sould found itself a "compatible host," if you will, inside the body of our world's version of Edward Elric - as Hoenheim said, everyone in our world has a "mirror image" of themself in the alchemic (Hagaren) world; so, when the zepplin landed on Edward when he was in our world, the other Ed's body died, leaving Ed's soul free to go back to the gate and back to his real body, w/ which he fought his way back to his side of the gate... As for Al, his body had been inside the gate since the day he and Ed tried to bring their mom back; since it was only his soul attached to the armor, his soul, mind, and body were re-united inside the gate - the armor was probably consumed by the gate as part of the stone material needed to "pay" for bringing Ed back to life... So, in a way, he did die - he died "completely," this time, though... After Ed was brought back and realized Al was gone, he sent off Rose so she wouldn't try to stop him from what he was about to do - sacrifice himself (even though Alphonse had just done the same thing for him) to bring his brother back - basically, he sacrificed his complete self - the whole body that Al had managed to get him and all - as an equivilent price for Alphonse - Al had the stone when he did it, so he only paid with his soul - Ed had to use it all, or it might fail the way it did when they tried to bring their mom back... Ed was expecting to totally and completely die, but found himself back on our side of the gate - at first he thought that maybe it didn't work if he was still alive, but then Hoenheim said that maybe he did pay a price - his experience and memories of the four years he and Al spent together (which ended up being true - watch the movie!); Ed's sacrifice did bring Al back from the other side, as we see - however, he was ten years old again, the same age as when they brought back their mom - it was like his four years w/ Ed never happened - he hadn't aged, and he couldn't remember... Rose found him in that same ballroom where everything else had happened earlier in the last episode (ie Ed and Al both sacrificing themselves, etc.)

Ok, Pride and Envy - here we go! If you read the manga, they tell you (more or less) the origins of who we call "Pride" in the anime series (He's still King Bradley, but his Homunulus name is Wrath in the manga); as far as Envy, in the anime, he's the first child Hoenheim ever had - he was Dante and Hoeneheim's son, back before they used the philosopher's stone to jump bodies... He was the first person they tried to bring back using alchemy, and therefore the first homunculus (at least, as far as we're aware...) Envy, as a human, died as a young man of mercury poisoning... we didn't find out his true name - I doubt Envy could've remembered... in fact, it's surprising he remembered his original form...

Hope that hellped!
Semiotic Alchemist
QUOTE(Semiotic Alchemist @ Oct 15 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]460451[/snapback]

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I classify it as a dumb question, what are those lil creature guys everybody has in their sig?

will noone answer me? sad.gif I wanna pet too . . .
Popogeejo
this thread is about questions relatong to FMA. hoowever I will give a handy hint: Clck one. I t will take you too the site where you can get them. They are pointless.
Bader
And on that note, what ever happened to Den's leg?
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Bader @ Oct 17 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]461108[/snapback]

And on that note, what ever happened to Den's leg?

It's never revealed.
Nope, no one every finds out! I'm guessing she (I think it's a girl - at least, there's lots of indications from Arakawa herself that Den is...) got it caught in something - I mean, they're out in farming country, lots of things to get trapped in! sad.gif Sorry, I forgot to respond to you in my last one! unsure.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 17 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]461038[/snapback]

this thread is about questions relatong to FMA. hoowever I will give a handy hint: Clck one. I t will take you too the site where you can get them.
I think the site is temporarily down due to maintenance or something...

And, about Den's leg, someone said in guiden or something it's been told that Den lost the leg saving Winry, or someone while she was a puppy.
I'm still trying to confirm this one because there are others who asked about this as well. smile.gif
Ooh, haven't heard about that gaiden story, yet! If you can find it, tombow, please let us know! ^^
Semiotic Alchemist
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Oct 17 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]461038[/snapback]

this thread is about questions relatong to FMA. hoowever I will give a handy hint: Clck one. I t will take you too the site where you can get them. They are pointless.

well a nwebie's got a right to learning doesn't he? and thanks by the way, though the site is down . . . and I find everything pointless, so what's the point of pointing such an accusation towards it. . . .
AlanSchezar
QUOTE(Vagrant @ Feb 24 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]354440[/snapback]

This is about the movie, and I think it's too small of a question to merit a full topic.

[spoiler]
Uh, I don't get why Al claps when he uses alchemy in the movie. He has transmutation circles on his gloves, so why does he clap?[/spoiler]

More accurately, he does it to activate the transmutation circles on his gloves. If you noticed, Zolve J Kimbley had circles tattooed on his hands, and he did exactly the same thing in the scenes with the battle at South Headquarters when he's going after Wrath. As the previous poster stated, he probably also does it to subconsciuosly imitate his brother.
Bader
Tombow... Den's is a boy dog. Thats why Ed says "Good boy, Den" when he went back to get his arm fixed after lab 5 incident.
Tombow
QUOTE(Bader @ Oct 18 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]461928[/snapback]
Tombow... Den's is a boy dog. Thats why Ed says "Good boy, Den" when he went back to get his arm fixed after lab 5 incident.
Yet, Arakawa-sensei herself included Den in her "FMA female chracters" drawing. laugh.gif
(Trying to remember where I saw it. I'll post the drawing when/if I can find it, or maybe others can post it.) biggrin.gif
Oh, Tombow, I know where you saw it! It's in the first official art book! ^^ I have it in front of me right now!

@ Bader - yeah, in the English they're always referring to Den as a boy, but whenever you translate it straight from the Japanese or read it in the Japanese, they refer to Den as a girl - omakes, even the story itself... I'm going w/ Den being a girl, b/c the English translations have been known to mess up! wink.gif Case in point, vol. 9!! They messed up more than usual in that one... Calling "Riza" "Liza," mixing up Ed and Al's lines... Oh, it was bad... ><
Tombow
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 18 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]462043[/snapback]
Oh, Tombow, I know where you saw it! It's in the first official art book! ^^ I have it in front of me right now!
@The New Fullmetal Alchemist - Yeah, that's it!! It was in Official Artbook I!! Thanks!! biggrin.gif
No problem! happy.gif
sasamilove
[spoiler]first off hi, second i dont know how to do that spiffy spoiler highlight so im warning now. ok just a few sets of odd ball questions about the anime. with rose being called the holy mother later in the series is that some kind of thing resembling christianity? like how when ed goes to the forgotten city and when hes entering is told the church he was in was from a forgotten religion(i think you see the crucifix set up in a window). would dante be trying to bring the religion back to get more people for sacrifice of philos. stone after the elric saga (theory sort of)? 2nd question - the stone created by scar is a very very powerful stone? since the yield of lives was the military in lior plus those contained in his arm? did his brother create the stone or just sacrifice the lives of the dead into his arm which scar then got? 3rd - why does al need circles to use alchemy? didnt he see the other side just as ed? 4th - do scar and ed basically share the same goal but it just differs on the alchemy being used?[/spoiler] thats all thanks a bunch.
Tombow
@sasamilove - Hi!! biggrin.gif I'm sure the FMA "experts" can post answers to your questons later, but I can show you how to make "spiffy spoiler" thingy. laugh.gif

Just type the "spoiler" code like this:
CODE
[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]

and when posted, that looks like this: biggrin.gif
[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]
Barrythechopper rocks
Cool. I needed to know how to make spoiler tags. GAH! there ar so many things I have questions about. jeez.
@ sasimilove - *sob!!!* I think I'm seriously going to cry! A few nights ago I typed up this huge-ass response to all of your questions - and then it wouldn't submit! I tried to save a copy of it, but it didn't save, and I couldn't get back on the sight until now! All that work - gone! WAAAAH!!! Sniffle... sorry... it was just such a good response! Oh, well - I guess I'll try and make it better... and a little bit shorter... sorry about all that! *sniffle*

first off hi, second i dont know how to do that spiffy spoiler highlight so im warning now. ok just a few sets of odd ball questions about the anime. with rose being called the holy mother later in the series is that some kind of thing resembling christianity? like how when ed goes to the forgotten city and when hes entering is told the church he was in was from a forgotten religion(i think you see the crucifix set up in a window). would dante be trying to bring the religion back to get more people for sacrifice of philos. stone after the elric saga (theory sort of)? 2nd question - the stone created by scar is a very very powerful stone? since the yield of lives was the military in lior plus those contained in his arm? did his brother create the stone or just sacrifice the lives of the dead into his arm which scar then got? 3rd - why does al need circles to use alchemy? didnt he see the other side just as ed? 4th - do scar and ed basically share the same goal but it just differs on the alchemy being used? thats all thanks a bunch.

1) Tombow took care of you... ^^ ; 1) about christianity in the series - it's a dead religion. Ed mentioned it when he and Izumi [spoiler]are at Dante's looking through the letters Hoenheim and Dante wrote to each other hundreds of years ago[/spoiler], and Ms. Arakawa herself even said so somewhere... As far as that church, you remember how Nash Tringham's letter said that a lot of the top alchemists went to the old church in order to gain access to the underground city? Well, since it's an archaic religion and no one follows it anymore, I believe that they used that church as they're "hiding place" b/c they knew no one would go wandering in there and accidentally discover what was hidden - same w/ Dante. She knew no one had stepped foot in the building in years, and the chances were slim to none of anyone finding her. That's the main reason she "set up camp" underneath the church - that and b/c she was one of the ones who helped to place the city there in the first place. If she really wanted to bring back christianity, I'm sure she would have gone about it much differently. And besides, many characters towards the end talked about how by Dante shrouding the whole vanishing of the city in mystery, it only drew those truly dedicated to finding the stone towards her. Did all of that make sense? I hope so!

2) Here's what I think - since we have no idea of how many souls it takes to make a stone, and we also have no idea how many souls went into the one Scar completed, it would be impossible to say the stone was a powerful one. If anything, I think the ingredients for it were the "bare minimum" - and who knows, maybe the stone is one of those things where there's a minimum input for a set output, and increasing the input doesn't necessarily increase the output. About Scar's brother - he never made the stone. But once the Ishbal war started, he drew those grand arcanum circles on his body so that the souls lost would gather into his body by way of the circle in order to be used as future ingredients for a stone - waste not, want not...

3) Ok, here's the tricky part - first I'll talk about just the anime. Ed saw the gate with his own two eyes and lived to tell the tale. Al, however, techinically didn't. He saw the gate, sure, but he lost all his memory of it - there was a complete void in his memory between when he and Ed activated the human alchemy circle to bring their mom back and when he woke up in the armor. Since he had no memory of ever seeing the gate - and his whole body was taken, so maybe he technically couldn't w/out eyes - there was no way for him to do what Ed does. Even after Al got his body back, he had no memory of his four years w/ Ed - this time the void was from when they activated the human alchemy circle to when he woke up - once again, no recollection of the gate, and so no abillity to use alchemy w/out circles. As for the manga, Al *does* end up remembering the gate - I don't know if you've kept up w/ it or not, but if you haven't and plan to eventually, I won't spoil anything - just know that Al regains his memory of the gate, ok? ^^ After that, he's able to do what Ed does - "look, ma, no circles!"

4) Remember how mad Ed got whenever a "criminal" would tell him that they were alike? Same thing! ^^ They're really not that similar in their goals - Scar didn't even want the philosopher's stone until part way through the series. Ed and Al just wanted it to return themselves to "normal" - to gain atonement for their sins by erasing their mistakes. Scar just wanted vengeance. Pure and simple. As for their alchemy, via his brother's arm Scar uses the "grand arcanum" - basically an older form of the alchemy that Ed uses.

Hope that all helped! Sorry for the late reply! *sob!* If there's anything you need further explaining on, let me know! ^^
sweety_pie
What color eyes does Whinrey have?
saponin
QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Oct 24 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]464396[/snapback]

What color eyes does Whinrey have?

winry has blue ones. smile.gif
sweety_pie
Thank you.. biggrin.gif I love you now.
sasamilove
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 22 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]463656[/snapback]

wow

thank you so much for typing all of that twice! that really cleared up a bunch of things and very well i add. thats too bad about the philos. stone being impossible to determine power wise. it would of been sweet to see some "estimations of cost" for like a soul swap or regaining your body from armor. what i mean if you dont get that, is how much of the stone goes away when you use(sorry i dont know if im good at explaining like you are) but yeah thanks a lot for the answers
No problem! I'm glad it helped! ^^ But I seriously do think that no matter how much you pump into the stone, the output is always the same... But, Al only lost a little bit of the stone when he [spoiler] Helped Tucker out by "completing" the Nina-doll-things body[/spoiler] However, for something like a single soul, it would cost a lot more - say, hundreds of souls. ^^ But I get what you're saying... and I'm not sure if we'll ever get to know the answer!
sasamilove
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Oct 24 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]464883[/snapback]

last question i promise lol ok is there a thread discussing the manga? specifically an up to date with the manga story line. i have a lot of catching up to do ever since i realized the manga is wayyyyy cooler than the anime. i need to be reading that =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.